Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone mad enough to drive out to the Alps in a 10 yr old transit (5 seats)or doing UCPA this Jan?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
As the hum of the new season gets louder, I'm thinking about the "not with the family" bits of skiing and what to do?.
I did the UCPA offpiste week in Val T which was excellent, tho I've been "too old" for UCPA for some years now. Travelling alone, arranging flights and transfers can be a bit of a pain, went on the coach last time, not good.

I could just leave it and do a late booking with flights and transfers but it's pot luck who there is to ski with ( I like steep blacks / offpiste). I'd be up for the snowheads offpiste week in January if there were some firm dates fixed.

Someone suggested I take my work transit that has 2 extra seats in the back if I could find anyone else mad enough to fill the seats
Bad points
It's a 10 yr old transit base model builders van with the luxury bits removed, vinyl seats etc
The seats are probably as bad as coach seats, not good for big people, no side window in rear

Good points
It has the 125hp tdci motor that is marginally quieter and a lot quicker than the standard transit and is relatively low mileage (90k)
There is enough room for as much kit as you can carry.
Portable DVD player for the journey
Already fitted with winter tyres and I have chains
Long but door to door journey

Do the French peage routes charge more for Vans?, I expect that when I look further into it, by the time I have paid for any driver insurance, breakdown etc, it will be a non starter unless there is someone who literally wants to take a van load of gear?!.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I like your style, hope someone joins you. I think tolls might be more, as based on height, but not 100% on that, some one with a roof box will no doubt be along to confirm/moan.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tangowaggon, given your unenthusiastic but honest appraisal of the Transit, why would it be better than the "not good" coach?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A few years ago for a Scotland double header we took a 9 seater Ford Transit Jumbo from Glasgow to Alicante and back Via Liechtenstein in the Space of 9 days - circa 4000 miles in effectively 5 days of driving, of which I personally did about 80%. While we all had a great time, it was a bit of an ordeal at times and I don't know if it's what you'd want, particularly after a week's skiing.

We drove from Glasgow to Liechtenstein in a little over 24 hours including some horrendous weather/traffic/roadworks in southern England, so I'd imagine from the south you could do alps door to door in under 18 hours with shift driving.

Other downsides were that the tolls are higher for vans than cars - although I think you can work them out on the viamichelin website, and we didn't get anything like the fuel economy we'd hoped for, as frankly, driving at 55-60mph is really boring.

We also got stopped on the Swiss/French border and got accused of being drug traffickers, despite being 8 (mostly pissed) men in kilts and football tops. Our luggage got turned upside down at gunpoint and I thought we were all headed for a full cavity search until what I can only assume was some kind of supervisor emerged from the customs station, took one look at us and said what I can only guess was French for "What the f*ck are you doing to those guys? Drug mules?! Stop being a fanny and let them go Pierre!"

I also went to collect the van from where we had left it in Alicante to find it had been towed and the guy at the impound spoke not one word of English besides "No".

Coming home from Spain and going over the Pyrenees in that van was also less than pleasant - it was the 3.5 litre version I think, but we still found ourselves crawling up a lot of hills.

Good Luck!

P.S. - If you do decide to go for it, ensure each man has a pringles tube or milk carton to avoid too many relief stops.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

ensure each man has a pringles tube or milk carton

and a steady hand. wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
About 50% more roughly

http://www.autoroutes.fr/FCKeditor/UserFiles/File/Tarifs%2022%20f%C3%A9vrier%202013.pdf
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Quote:

and a steady hand. wink

It's strange that you never get tired of dabbing the brakes at motorway speed when someone is standing up trying to relieve themselves in the corner in the back! Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bobalexander1983 wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

and a steady hand. wink

It's strange that you never get tired of dabbing the brakes at motorway speed when someone is standing up trying to relieve themselves in the corner in the back! Smile

lol Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ansta1 wrote:
bobalexander1983 wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

and a steady hand. wink

lol Madeye-Smiley

Its probably an excellent pre ski "core stability" exercise !
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

tangowaggon, given your unenthusiastic but honest appraisal of the Transit, why would it be better than the "not good" coach?

I can get the van from my garage rather than having to get to central London first!, stop whenever we want to and, I know you shouldn't, but a makeshift bed in the back for the off-duty driver sounds good!. marginally better legroom, possibly faster, this van is the same model that the female German racing driver used to try and beat Clarksons time round the Nurburgring when he was in a 530d BMW, she almost did it!.
Quote:

It's strange that you never get tired of dabbing the brakes at motorway speed when someone is standing up trying to relieve themselves in the corner in the back!

Not when it's MY van!!!!, next time I do a bathroom job, I'll save the bog and have it plumbed in!!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

but a makeshift bed in the back

Quote:

I'll save the bog and have it plumbed in

Now there's an idea!!!, ballcocks to everyone else, do a decent job of the bed and the netty and live in it for the week!. Very Happy mmm? an uninsulated, unheated van in the Alps in January?, maybe not Shocked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
what kind of dosh you reckoning?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

what kind of dosh you reckoning?

In reality I expect that it would be about £700 to get the van from Yorkshire to the Alps, It does about 30 mpg on short journeys around home so on a run like that, I would expect 25 - 40 mpg depending how fast we go, tolls, channel crossing, additional driver + continental insurance, breakdown cover etc.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You can buy a lot of flights and transfers for £700. In fact £730 will buy you flights (from Birmingham), transfers and a fully catered week, for one, in Val d'Isere in Chalethotel Moris, 12th January. And it will save you 15 hours' driving.

https://www.markwarner.co.uk/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds relatively sensible to me. My friend got from London to Val D'Isere in this 18 year old cab last season ... and back again.

ski holidays
I got to kaprun glacier and back in my 40 year old Vw, so definitely not completely mad at all. (It was in summer though)

latest report
tangowaggon
You talking about only one week? or longer?
snow conditions
dynarob wrote:
Sounds relatively sensible to me. My friend got from London to Val D'Isere in this 18 year old cab last season ... and back again.
Lucky boy! It's tough enough finding one that'll go South of the river!
ski holidays
im interested. depends on dates though.
latest report
I'm planning on heading out 1st or 2nd weekend in jan for 1 or 2 weeks, I like the sound of the UCPA offpiste steeps courses
latest report
tangowaggon, We've travelled a lot in France in a big motorhome (9ft tall - 25 ft long) and always paid class 1 tolls
snow report
tangowaggon, I don't really get why you are driving out? If you are staying with UCPA, book with Action Outdoors and they sort out your transfer for you for £50 to £70ish depending on resort so no hassel there. Flights will be reasonably priced - you say you live in Yorkshire, plenty to Geneva from Leeds or Manchester.

I don't see the advantage of driving?
snow report
Quote:

tangowaggon, I don't really get why you are driving out? If you are staying with UCPA, book with Action Outdoors and they sort out your transfer for you for £50 to £70ish depending on resort so no hassel there. Flights will be reasonably priced - you say you live in Yorkshire, plenty to Geneva from Leeds or Manchester.

I don't see the advantage of driving? Thu 17 Oct, 13
21:04

There are many advantages to driving out if the circumstances are right, but the quote for extending my insurance to European cover and any driver has effectively killed this idea
snow report
Don't do any driver. Named drivers with full NCB shouldn't add much. If they don't have full NCB don't let them drive. My basic policy covers me for most of EU. Have to pay extra for Spain. Never had a policy that didn't. Maybe it is an Oirish thing though...(although I am still in the UK)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy