Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'Plus size' ladies ski wear HELP

Poster: A snowHead
im having real trouble finding some ski trousers that actually fit me properly..im a size 14 to 16 usually but haven't been able to get into anything i've tried so far, including xxl's...i've even tried mens but they're not made for big hips...does anyone have any recommendations for brands that make bigger sizes..or have 'normal' sizing? I don't want to spend a fortune.
Thanks
J
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I picked up some Trespass trousers for a female friend a few weeks ago in TKMaxx, they were size M and fitted her comfortably, and she's a 14-16(ish, bloke guessing) but if you went up to their L/XL they had on the shelf I'm sure you'd do fine - some were big enough that my size 8 bottom (that's rugby position, not like girl sizes) would have got into them easily enough.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JanineW, I'm a size 14 also and very long legged. Ridiculous really that we have to consider ourselves 'plus size' when the average size in Britain is 16. Anyway, try Trespass and Decathlon, both have fitted me well. I gave up with TK Maxx, rails and rails of stuff in sizes 8-12, four measly jackets in size 14. I gave up with Ellis Brigham too, lots of expensive snazzy looking ladies ski wear, very little of which would fit a real woman. Good luck.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm a 14 and North Face fit me fine.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I recommend schoffel, they may be abit expensive but they last for years, so very good value imo.

I agree with you its difficult to find a good fit. Manufactures seem to stop at size 14 and then the shops don't stock them. We also need room for thermals underneath Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JanineW, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead A few years ago I bought a couple of pairs of salopettes in Marks and Spencers outlet in Port Solent - they were winding up their ski wear range. One size 12, one 14 - they were so cheap I bought them "just in case".

They are absolutely gigantic. I am a size 12 (10 on a good day) and the 12s completely swamp me. As for the 14s. Shocked Shocked Shocked They have been worn by two VERY pregnant ladies with no problem.

They have been worn very, very, little (neither is still pregnant!) and just sit in my big suitcase of "just in case" ski wear. If all else fails (they are navy, not at all flattering.....) let me know and you could borrow them for the cost of the postage (they are in France at the moment, could bring them home when we come mid-Feb or post from here). They are useful things to have and because they have braces they don't need to be tight round the waist (which is why they suited the pregnant ones so well).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JanineW, welcome to SH. Both Tog24 and Mountain Warehouse's own brand "Parallel" go up to 18 or 20 and are fairly true to size.
http://www.estore.tog24.com/Womens_Ski%20Pants%20and%20Salopettes/CHABLIS%20LDS.html
http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/womens/clothing/ski-salopettes/014218-dragonfly-extreme-women-pant-p2937.aspx

I have some of the Parallel Extreme and they seem decent enough quality.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Having just been shopping with my girlfriend, we found that the yank companies ( North Face and Columbia) were the most relaxed in fit. Columbia was the roomier of the two.
My girlfriend is a 12, but ended up fitting 10s 12s 14s and 16s from different companies.
Being male, I have never under stood the logic behind the number based size system for female clothing... ( aside from maybe the psychological one) It's completely arbitrary...
At least with a measurement based system the sizing is "supposed" to be standardised.....

Anyway, give Columbia and North Face a go, but definitely shop in-store and not online.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm a 14, although was originally 18 when I did my first season. Found my first pair in TKMaxx in the ladies section there. Second pair I got were also from TKMaxx, although this time in the mens, they are a nice pair of Nike ones with an snow skirt (perfect for t-shirt/hoody boarding as when I fall I don't get snow down my pants). They're perhaps a little on the big side now I've lost the weight, but the snowskirt is tighter than the waitband so holds them up fine along with the fact I wear impact shorts underneath.

For this season I got myself a pair of Westbeach trousers, they're a size L and a really comfy fit.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would also recomend TKMaxx, they have loads of larger sizes.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Togger, strange since my experience at TKMaxx is that they have loads of stuff in smaller sizes (regular clothing and ski wear) and very little in size 14 upwards. And forget even looking at the shoe department if you're a ladies size 7 or larger.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
they tend to have a fair bit in a 14 in my experience, but very little once you go above that.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mrs W wrote:
I recommend schoffel, they may be abit expensive but they last for years, so very good value imo.

Seconding this. I (reluctantly) spent over £100 on a pair, but they FIT and were comfortable, and years later now that I'm slimmer, I can still get good wear out of them.
Note that they were one of the few brands that have different lengths. As a shorty, I hate the rumpling that usually occurs around my ankles, but not with the Schöffels.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Large TNF should be plenty big enough, my mrs is (or was pre Decemeber/xmas) a 14/16.

Think Columbia go bigger too, and as mentioned the yank stuff tends to be 'generous'.

Think Eider go to a size 20??? Having looked in the EB and SnR book.

I think XL TNF ladies is about an 18.

14 is average, i'd be suprised if a company didn't make stuff that size.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have big bottom half and always wear Dare2Be bottoms. They are one of the rarer brands that do not expect size 16/18 women to be nearly six feet tall! You can get them in loads of places: online, TK maxx, Go Outdoors and probably many more. Around £50 for pair of salopettes.
snow conditions
Quote:

They are one of the rarer brands that do not expect size 16/18 women to be nearly six feet tall!

Laughing
ski holidays
I am a size 14, but do not consider myself to be a 'plus' size.
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:

Very true. But not on the slopes, which seems to be a slim person's game. Sad At least in Europe. Is north america different?
ski holidays
Hells Bells, I quite agree. I'm a bit overweight yes. But since nearly half of UK adult women are size 16 or over, size 14 can hardly be considered plus size.
snow conditions
I find the problem with a lot of ladies ski clothing (and a lot of other sports clothing) is that the sizes mainly seem to be fashion fit rather than comfort fit.

For example I can happily wear a size 16 trousers in M&S, but not in Top Shop (but being over 30 I shouldn't even be thinking about that anyway! Embarassed ). In my experience, a lot of ladies salopette sizes are more Top Shop than M&S.

And yes, I am well aware of the psychology of shops labelling sizes smaller to make people like me feel a wee bit better about themselves wink
snow report
Quote:

For example I can happily wear a size 16 trousers in M&S

I've rarely found a pair of trousers - of any size - in M & S which fit me. I clearly am not their standard shape - but I do wonder who is,when even the same size trousers fail to fit in different ways. I've completely given up on M & S for trousers after a particularly frustrating session in which one size 12 was hugely baggy (and not in a fashionable way) and another style in size 12 I could scarcely get into.
latest report
Went ski stuff shopping with my friend today and the sizing in the Tog24 outlet shop looks very generous to me. I'm usually a 14 (and yes, good point by alibongo42, I can be a 16 in some of the trendy young people's fashion shops, but a 12 in Next) and I'd easily be a size 12 in the Tog24 shop, in fact I could even get the size 10 soft shell on!! I've never been a size 10 in my life. In fact I could have spent rather a lot of money in there if I had any to spare and needed some new ski wear, some really nice looking gear.
snow report
skieuse wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:

Very true. But not on the slopes, which seems to be a slim person's game. Sad At least in Europe. Is north america different?

I've never had any difficulty buying ski wear.
ski holidays
Being on the larger end of the sizing that most ski companies feel appropriate for women I find that you just have to pick up every pair of salopettes size 14 upwards and eventually a pair will fit

also never expect anything other than black as a colour to be available - although on a rare occasion there may be a grey pair and even rarer a red pair - any other colours are the things of dreams and wishes

all of which is very frustrating when you see people wearing trousers that are falling off because of the size

good luck with your search
snow report
Quote:

But since nearly half of UK adult women are size 16 or over, size 14 can hardly be considered plus size.

That's because nearly half of the UK's women are fat. If they stopped porking iced buns and ran around a bit more they'd all go back to normal, and 14 would be bigger than average. Laughing
snow conditions
Another vote for TK Maxx and that sizes on labels are hopeless. In Next/M&S i'm a 14 in normal trousers, I have ski trousers in 10 and in 14 and in 16 , all fit about the same ! Same in motorcycle clothing got a size 10 leather jacket and a size 22 !!! Keep trying - ignore label and if it offends cut it out !

Dare to be and Trespass seem to be a good bet...... anything super fashionable (and often super expensive) , will be in model sizes only and will be tighter fit for looks not practicality......
snow report
Hi, I'm size 18 and I've just come across a great website called Plus Ski which sells a wide selection of plus size ski wear for men and women. If I remember rightly womens is up to size 30 and men 8XL.

Please find below a link to the website:

http://www.plusski.com/

Check it out
latest report
Dare2B size 18 fit me and that is going some Embarassed Also I've got a nice roomy set of Vist ski pants that also fit, but they may have been mens.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Plus size spam anyone Toofy Grin
snow report
Spam does go straight to your hips, it's well known Toofy Grin
snow report
It isn't spam if it is on the right thread.

It isn't a subject that affects me, but boredsurfin, too many more good lunches and you may need to bookmark that website wink

JJenkins, welcome to snowHeads. snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

It isn't spam if it is on the right thread

+1 relevant info which some people might find useful.
ski holidays
boredsurfin, It might be spam, but its relevant spam. If someone has found a source of plus size ski clothing then its quite a find! If it's the site owner then congrats for finding a niche in the market.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy