Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski rants: mind your manners on the piste (please)

Poster: A snowHead
For this Telegraph blogger it seems to be twin tips

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/10273693/Ski-rants-mind-your-manners-on-the-piste-please.html

Nice to see a snowHead in the comments section Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boredsurfin wrote:

Nice to see a snowHead in the comments section Very Happy

And in her usual good humour Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't think I've ever skied behind someone on twin tips who has sprayed snow over me. And if you are skiing over a blind lip so fast that you can't stop without ending up head first in a snowbank, then you're the one with the bad manners. What a twit. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard wrote (in the Telegraph):

Quote:
Here's my 'ski rant' - angry whining Brits who can't go anywhere or do anything without grumbling about everything around them. You're supposed to be on holiday, you miserable sods - if you can't bring yourself to enjoy it, at least shut up so that everyone else can.

Laughing

Too right and what a non article.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good to see another national title taking up the mantle of 'the skier's newspaper', held for so long by the Daily Mail.

Let's look forward to much more quality ski journalism and rants/ants/pants, and less of the usual crap. Helen Coffey should be awarded a Pulitzer Prize for this exceptional piece.

How to enter
http://www.pulitzer.org/how_to_enter
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
if you are skiing over a blind lip so fast that you can't stop without ending up head first in a snowbank, then you're the one with the bad manners.

Just go faster and you can probably clear the snowboarders, if not they'll cushion the landing for you....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You've got be be skiing deliberately close to get consistently sprayed by snow or ice from a skier in front of you, twin tips or not, and you have to be making long radius turns otherwise the spray just heads off to the side and misses you. Only time it has happened to me, in more than 30 years of skiing, was when I was skiing in very close formation with a bunch of guys on a course. Discovered that if you skied really close to the guy in front the bits of snow and ice that his skis kicked up would hit you in a steady stream below waist level, but if you fell back a few metres you'd get hit in the face. Unpleasant at 30mph+.

I'd hesitate a guess that Ms Coffey is making up her little rant, rather than having a genuine grievance based on actually getting sprayed while skiing. PPA* rather than a Pulitzer, IMO.

* Porkie Pie Award
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If they're going to employ a blogger to write rant pieces they at least should do it properly and sign up Lizzard to get properly withering rather than that half arsed effort. Roostering is just a bit of fun but you've got to be seriously on someone's heels to get impacted in any way other than a fairly nice aesthetic way.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
..and it hits you in the eyes????? Not wearing goggles then you gaper bint. wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
that's a minute of my life I will never get back Mad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob wrote:
If they're going to employ a blogger to write rant pieces they at least should do it properly and sign up Lizzard to get properly withering rather than that half arsed effort.

Laughing I agree
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have been sprayed by twin tips several times. It can happen when somebody cuts in front of you at speed. It is bad manners to cut so close to spray. Under certain conditions the spray can be considerable.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
TBF, my Dynastar Big Troubles (which have the most [and most abrupt] turn up at tip and tail on any ski I've ever seen) can spray slush a good 20+ metres behind! Works best when it's soft, heavy and already cut up. You can just about still make me out here:

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agree with everyone-what a load of twaddle!
If this is the quality of ski journalism, someone should give me a job.
Sarah, 47 years, 5ft 5 inches tall, proud owner of 177cm twin tips. Which I use all the time. Everywhere.
Live with it Little Angel
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, fatbob, ...hmm... I made the mistake of buying my partner some twin tips about ten years' ago - Line Chronics, with equally pronounced tips front and rear - and I must say that I was NOT expecting to have my cheeks scoured with ice crystals during fast runs, at a respectable distance behind her. But that's what happens, and sometimes it bl***y hurts.

I now steer VERY well clear when we are tanking it, the plume she sends up can be considerable. This happens at distances which I would not call reckless, and so pretty 8s are out of the question. Now, I'm not complaining, since it's just something which needs to be taken into account....
snow report
blimey clarky999, what time of year was that! must have been nice and warm on that sun deck drinking beer Very Happy
latest report
Perty, That is just what I was thinking! I was always told journalism was a super competitive and demanding vocation.... that can't have taken more than a bottle of jagermeister and a spare 5 minutes to bash out. Most (though certainly not all) longer posts on this website have more interesting substance!

clarky999, I always loved the Rossignol "Sprayer" it had no dillusions about what it was!
snow conditions
Toofy Grin are my Flyswatters twin tips?? the quality of the Telegraph articles leaves much to be desired ! But I must say that at Hemel the other day I was complimented on my rooster tails!
I dont think they are that bad!
Shocked
ski holidays
So this article "Ski Rant:Mind your manners" offers links to 3 other related articles.

Stop smoking on my mountain
Stop the music on the slopes.

and a way to solve all the problems outlined...
A holiday in Dubai

If the mountains seem to cause nothing but problems and back bottom pain - then go to the desert! Simples.
ski holidays
valais2 wrote:
rob@rar, fatbob, ...hmm... I made the mistake of buying my partner some twin tips about ten years' ago - Line Chronics, with equally pronounced tips front and rear - and I must say that I was NOT expecting to have my cheeks scoured with ice crystals during fast runs, at a respectable distance behind her. But that's what happens, and sometimes it bl***y hurts.
I think we're agreeing. You get sprayed when you follow your wife. I'm not saying that skis, especially twin tips, don't kick up some spray, just that the only time this becomes an issue is if you are following somebody making reasonably long turns. Other than skiing with friends, how often does that happen by coincidence on the mountain? Don't want to be sprayed? Then don't follow people. It's a non-issue. Not even a first world problem!
latest report
livetoski, that's an awesome photo.
ski holidays
rob@rar, in this instance the Tele blogger is talking about being overtaken and having to ski through the resulting spray. It's still a silly complaint but not quite as impossible to happen as people are making out. The blog is what it is though, mindless fluff to remind the public it's nearly winter. Jeremy Clarkson used to write nearly identical column in The Times full of dull, inaccurate but "funny" stuff.
snow report
the other year when I got my twin tips I had no idea they sprayed more than normal skis, after 1 long run down this girl I was skiing with went completely mental at me for having the audacity to spray her all the way down so she couldn't see. She didn't seem to comprehend that she didnt have to ski right behind me and could make her own line. The way she went off was so completely over the top quite like the woman writing the article.

Next run down I lagged behind and then showed her what proper spraying was and completely buried her with a mini avalanche when I stopped, surprisingly enough she never mentioned my skis spraying again Smile
latest report
meh, I wonder if this in the first of a series of blogs. Coming next: snow cannons and why it should be illegal to run them during the day. Children, should then be banished from the mountain outside of school holidays? Skiers-only resorts? Slow-skiers-only resorts? Bad weather, should it be banned? Mindless fluff is certainly true!
snow report
LOL
ski holidays
meh,
Quote:

livetoski, that's an awesome photo.

Thanks I keep meaning to get it printed up properly and framed Toofy Grin

It was taken by my friend Louisa in St Foy, she is available for photo graphic work she is a pretty good skier and snowboarder and hangs out with the infamous Niall in St Foy during the winter Toofy Grin

http://www.louisathruthelens.com/2012-13-season.html
snow report
rob@rar, Who let the Hoi Polloi into my nice ski resort?
snow report
dennisp wrote:
blimey clarky999, what time of year was that! must have been nice and warm on that sun deck drinking beer Very Happy

That was the last week of the season in Westendorf a few years back, so mid/late April. Late season skiing is great; lovely slushy snow and warm enough to sit around drinking beer in a tshirt!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On a question of slope ethics, but son complains that he does not like bomb down the slope behind me, because he says I am too unpredictable. He never knows whether I am going to turn left or right. (Bear in mind that he is a snowboarder).

Made we wonder though. If I know I was gong to start laying down long carves I'll look upslope first. If it is a just a shallow S I don't bother. In the latter case I have always considered it to be the responsibility of the of the upslope person to be on the lookout for people riding further down the slope. Just wondering where one draws the line.
ski holidays
ysb33r, Well downhill skier has priority (unless they've set off from standing or joined in a merge) but it doesn't stop some idiot crashing into you so sensible self preservation to check for uphill traffic before altering turn pattern dramatically just as you MUST do before setting off. Mind you so few people have any awareness of what's going on behind them when setting off I do wonder if I imagine that bit of the FIS code.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy