Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Technique or boot fit problem?

Poster: A snowHead
OK here goes folks I've done 2 1/2 weeks ski ing 1 fab week in Andorra, 1 week in Andorra with a crap instructor and 3 days in Tignes with no lessons as I had a shoulder injury and daughter was in plaster. Between Andorra and Tignes I lost about 2 stone and it appears my feet have got smaller (odd or what)? I was just about making decent parallels when I left Andorra. In Tignes I had a problem controlling my left foot at all. The whole time it felt like the ski and boot were swinging. I changed down half a size and it was a bit better but still not right. I'm just wondering if this could be technique or weakness in the left foot or could it just be that my left foot is smaller than my right so I need odd sized boots? I'm considering buying boots, would a custom fit help do you think?

I've just booked to go back to Tignes and want to get the most out of my ski ing! Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jellybabe,
Quote:

would a custom fit help do you think?

Definitely. Depending on where you live, folk can come up with some recommendations of bootfitters for you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you! I'm in Surrey but don't drive (epilepsy) so need something by public transport or grovel.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jellybabe, So, would train to Victoria and tube to Parsons Green via Earls Court work? In which case profeet are warmly recommended by some: http://www.profeet.co.uk/skiing
I got some footbeds from them a few years ago and was happy with the service. Although I eventually bought new boots somewhere else, the original footbeds are still going strong.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Are your normal shoes now too big? - if not it's likely that your boot shells were too big and the liners have padded out. A good boot fitter should be able to sort you out.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To the horror of all boot fitters around, it's technique, not boot. Sure too big boots are not great, but you can still ski normal. Personally I'm using 27 race boots for skiing, but I have 28.5 boots for working (Fischer WC and Dalbello Virus Tour). Both of my work boots are soft and way too big, but when I go somewhere to race, and I have day off, I normally don't drag second pair of boots with me, so I go skiing with these boots. And I can ski normally even with these boots. And considering my normal skiing means skiing with really stiff World cup race stock GS or SL skis at quite high speed and angles, and I can still ski sort of normal way (biggest problem is softness of my work boots not that much size), I don't think you should have problems with "making decent parallel turns", even if boots are half number too big.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I get that feeling of a free swinging ski as well (occasionally and more often in the past than recently). Whilst well-fitted boots may help, I do not think it is the cause - but I am not sure why it happens (and I have a lot more experience than just three weeks).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My feet definitely change girth as I lose/gain weight
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jellybabe, (what do I know? feel free to disregard)

- if you could drop a half size and not feel pain your boots were too big and likely still are. This won't help but as primoz, suggests is probably not the problem.

- if your weight isn't properly applied then your skis are going to do what they want to do. In the old days that was generally to run straight, these days it is often to wobble. If your skis are "wobbling" your ankles probably aren't capable of stopping this from happening. Whether your boots fit well or not.

Almost certainly, in 2.5 weeks and only 1 of which was with an instructor you liked, there is a reasonable chance that almost any sensation that you aren't happy with other than pain is almost certainly technique related.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Depends on how much the boots are oversized from the optimal fitness.

"Race v Recreational fit" is different to "Oversized Recreational Fit v Swimming in 'em".

Have you done a shell check?

http://youtube.com/v/Byj0wywypqM

http://youtube.com/v/cIYMirzaqzA

http://youtube.com/v/BK0h_4VJdoA
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Given it's possible to ski well with your boots completely undone, I'd look at technique first
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
unless i read it wrong, and i am not qualified in any way shape or form, if the shell is too long or too wide this will have only a small effect if the boot is not clipped up, surely doing the boot up is about the flex and pressure on the ski.

If the boot is too long or tide wide for the persons foot then there will be movement (or the potential for movement) which could be an issue. I certainly noticed a difference when i went from a shop fitted set of boots to a CEM fited set. 28.5 to 27 i think was the change, though i also went up in stiffness from a 90 to a 130.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jellybabe wrote:
... or could it just be that my left foot is smaller than my right so I need odd sized boots?

Forum can't answer that - you need to check it for yourself or with the aid of a boot fitter.

Mine are about 3-4 mm different, and for ski boots, I just get the boot fitter to 'blow' the toes of the left one a bit (he heats it up with a hot air blower and puts in a thing like a shoe tree to strech the plastic). On my slightly bigger touring boots, I don't bother. For cycling shoes I do end up buying two pairs and selling off the other swap-pair - surprising how many others have the exact but opposite issue!

Sis has a difference of over 1cm, but she gets by fine with a normal matched pair of boots for now (a week 2-3 skier). But the kinder rental companies were willing to offer her odd-sized boots if she wanted (but not peak season). Just need to make sure the correct ski goes on each foot. If your own size difference were that much, I'd imagine you would know about it and I guess there wouldn't be a question mark in the quote? If it is that big, personally, I'd be going for different sized boots.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry long time since I posted originally. Not sure I explained myself very well! I also had a torn shoulder on that trip so yes technique was probably a bit out with not enough weight on that side. I have dropped a whole shoe size in normal shoes to a 5. I figure skate and have custom boots and have had to change to a uk 4 with some punching out on my right foot. Skate fitter is of the view that there is a 5mm difference in length of feet but girth of left foot is significantly different. Been to Alpine snow sports dry slope and tried loads of sizes etc ended yp with a 4 on my left foot and 4.5 on my right played around with my skate super feet inserts in there too . Had a lesson and they thought technique ok given I'd got myself a bit paranoid and took a while to settle into the lesson. Problem almost solved. Am hoping to save up and go up to Biscester. Unfortunately trod on cat on the stairs and put my hip out so will have to wait a few weeks. I want to get the most out of the next trip and the lessons. Thanks folks.
snow conditions
jellybabe, oh dear, commiserations err........how's the cat? Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:
Unfortunately trod on cat on the stairs and put my hip out

I know it's not a laughing matter but ... Shocked Hope pussy is OK. Cool
latest report
Pussy is fine! The cat is a bit grumpy though! Not however, quite as grumpy as the day I ran him over on the drive. I must point out I'm not normally that accident prone and there are 9 years between the 2 incidents.
snow report
jellybabe, defo get yourself some boots. As others have mentioned Profeet in fulham will sort you out - worth while paying for their service as your feet sound a bit odd.

Please pass on my best wishes to your furry friends Smile
snow conditions
Normaly I would say invest money in ski boots first but in your case I think getting your eyes checked first would be a good idea as the poor cat can't have many lives left.
snow conditions
My experiences with ProFeet were that they insisted on selling me boots that were a size too big. My experiences with Colin (Bicester) are that he will insist on selling you boots that are a size too small. Or at least feel that way. So here lies the answer, jellybabe, get your left boot from Colin and the right from ProFeet... Confused

On a more serious note, save up and Bicester would be my recommendation. Colin is supremely patient, and you will be able to keep going back until they are right. With ProFeet, I sold them off and started again: boots off eBay and fitting after by Colin. He does not carry touring boots, hence the need to buy them elsewhere.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy