Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arinsal Andorra at Christmas - any downsides?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Planning on booking next ski holiday this weekend and just want to make sure I am not making a mistake in choice of resort that would be obvious to more experienced skiers.

We can only go skiing as a family (Me, non-skiing wife and three sons between 13 and 26) on the week over Christmas (this year week beginning 21/22nd Dec) and budget is a consideration. We generally try and do it for circ £1000 each for travel, accommodation, equipment and tuition.

After some great advice on this forum three years ago (thank you Smile ) we have gone to Passo Tonale for the last three years over Christmas and it has suited us fine. We are not looking for hectic après ski and the small resort has been great especially once we made sure we picked the closest hotel to the slopes. We had not skied previously and given it takes us a day or so to get back into it each time we are still very early intermediates – blues are fun for us, reds more of a challenge especially if it is a bit icy.

But, even with our limited ski ability and experience, we really fancy going somewhere different and after going through all the brochures I have honed in on Arinsal in Andorra at the Princess Parc Hotel. Hotel looks to be in a decent location and generally good reports on Tripadviser, ski school seems to have a good reputation, slopes good for beginners/intermediates and all within budget.

Apart from perhaps not have the prestige of other resorts is there something I have missed? Seems good value but generally I find you get what you pay for so is there a catch?

We have had good snow the last three years in Passo Tonale – I appreciate December is always going to be a gamble but is there any reason that Arinsal will be any more of a risk?

Thanks
Rob
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RobWa, not a bad choice of hotel, for starters - although I didn't stay at the Princess Parc, I did have a few beers there and spoke to several guests who rated the place highly (though you seem to have established that already).

Arinsal is a nice enough resort and the skiing is really enhanced if the link (telecabin) is open to Pal - greatly increases the skiing area from what I think is probably a fairly limited offering without. The terrain is not what I would call overly taxing and probably well suited to the level you seem to suggest you're after. High winds can affect the opening of the link.

Regarding instruction, there are (or were a few years ago) plenty of native English-speaking instructors (BASI L2+ qualified).

I didn't go at Christmas, but in Feb - that particular year wasn't great. 18 degrees in the town Shocked and very limited pistes open. However, nothing is guaranteed with snow (stating the obvious).

There are easy bus options to go to Arcalis for more variety and it is higher, so possibly may offer better conditions if things are a little patchy in Arinsal. It is also relatively easy to get to Andorra la Vella for non-skiing stuff, though I didn't spend more than a couple of hours there...may be others will have better info.

Meeting up on the mountain for your non-skiing wife (if this is important) is easy - the telecabin out of Arinsal to the main ski area accesses quite a few restaurant options.

Another consideration, possibly is that there are secure lockers at that station if you don't want to lug skis and boots about at the beginning/end of the day.

Passo is high and probably more snow-sure. Arinsal less so. That may be the only "catch" I can think of.

Having skied in Passo for only one day, on that evidence, I would say Arinsal would represent a much more pleasant experience, snow conditions notwithstanding. Given a choice only between the two, I'd not hesitate in going back to Arinsal.

One bluebird morning in Pal, skiing through the trees on empty (and I do mean empty) bashed pistes with 3 inches of fresh on the top still rates as one of the best mornings I've ever had snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
HiRobWa, firstly not been to Arinsal in the winter ( been in the summer) but have been to Arcalis, which is part of Valnord and part of the same lift ticket. Arcalis is great. Go there whatever your level of skiing there is something for everyone. Andoras secret the locals call it. Watch out for the rope tow to pull you down the mountain, that's a bit of a novelty.

Snow is weather dependant, Andorra has the same problems, but some strange extremes. They normally expect snow late November, then again about Christmas, and pretty much everywhere is cannoned as well, so you should be ok.

Arinsal is small, and I've heard the ski area is small, but boasts the biggest vertical in Andorra, provided you get the snow down to the village, 2572m - 1550m. As Cacciatore, you have Pal as well, but make sure not to miss Arcalis.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for replies.

Seems only potential issue is lack of snow which seems fairly important on a ski holiday!! Had a look at history and snow does look a bit patchy in December.

Back to looking at Italy and found Hotel Hermitage in Sauze d'oulx which seems a good location and resort has better snow history.

Think I may have a sleepless night tonight before booking something tomorrow!

Thanks

Rob
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well, the Via Lattea is notoriously unreliable for snow. Typically a hit-or-miss area.

It is on the eastern side of the sourtherns alps. Precipitation comes with large dumps, but at large intervals. Google for "retour d'est".

They have either very good snowyears (such as last winter) of almost no snow at all. Nothing between. There have been quite a number of winters where the snowlevels were 20 (lower) till 40 (upper slopes) all of the time. They managed to keep open until mid march, based on snow from end november.

If you're going in december, you cannot rely on natural snow.
So either choose an area with a sizeable glacier. Like L2A, Tignes, Cervinia.
Or choose a resort on the eastern side of the alps with massive snowcannons. Such as Schladming.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We have been to Arcalis for the last 5 years... And only once at Christmas (year before last... When snow had been merrily dumping down in the Alps all through December and the webcams at Arcalis showed lots of brown!)
It did snow in the end the week before we went but there were lots of people coming on buses from Pal and Arinsal as more snow due to extra height.
We have loved our trips to Andorra but think Feb/Mar a much better time. It does seen that the Pyrenees get their snow just generally later (my observation from looking at forecasts/face book updates from ski areas only... I may be wrong). Have been to l2a a few times at Christmas (was where my husband learnt to ski!) and had a great time - Les Arcs for us this Chrimbo!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We stayed at Princessa parc Xmas 2011. By we I mean me (single mum) and then 11 year old daughter and 19 year old son. We had stayed in Arinsal the previous Feb as our first ski trip too.

The Princessa Parc is lovely, friendly, outstanding food, extremely helpful staff, nice spa (had the best facial I've ever had there)! As we were driving to resort there was actually no snow at all but between us leaving Lieda airport (we were the first flight into the airport ever) and arriving in resort it had dumped and there was plenty of coverage. We booked through directski which was for the 3 of us nearly £800 cheaper than exactly the same package through Thomson and Crystal. The all in one improver pack is an absolute bargain! I had Dean (owner of the irish bar) as my instructor and he was awesome. My daughter was unlucky and got someone really lazy though.

A nice friendly town, safe for kids, I wasn't the least bit worried about my 11 year old going to the shops etc. Our waiter (yes we had a named waiter for the week) moved us to a quieter table when there was a very rowdy family, got to know my wine choice and had it ready each evening, greeted my children by name after the first day etc.

He also recommended Arcalis for more ski variety. I can't recommend it more highly!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh and we sat and had lunch on the mountain on Christmas day in T shirts but still had plenty of snow!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all replies.

At about 10.30 Sunday night after almost giving up I think we have finally decided based on fact there seem to be a few Neilson 10% discount codes floating about we realised gave us a few other options.

If I can sort the discount code out tonight will book neither of the above choices rolling eyes and go for the Neilson Aalborg Hotel in Les Deux Alps. This is based on a better snow record early in season and plenty of blue runs high up so if snow is at a premium there might be some at higher altitudes, hopefully, and location of hotel next to ski school and slopes. Hotel seems to get reasonable reviews.

If everything goes to plan we'll be on the piste this time in 13 weeks then Very Happy

Cheers

Rob
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
l2A is about as snow sure as you will get, the glacier at 3200m is nice and gentle.

The only downside to the resort for yourself is that you will probably end up down loading in the gondola as the runs into resort are all black (a blue is planned but not there yet I believe) or a horrendously busy green track that winds it's way down.

For what it's worth I've been to L2A twice now and would go back again.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good shout IMO.

BTW, RobWa you might, if you liked Passo T (I didn't, to be honest, though I only went on a day-pass) for some of the excellent Italian qualities, also like Folgarida/Marileva - much more picturesque, some fabulous blues and pretty easy, cruisey reds. Folgarida (don't stay in Marilleva) is on the quietish side, but the skiing might be right up your street.

Just one to tuck away for future reference, perhaps.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy