Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France Late March?

Poster: A snowHead
We're off to France in late March.
Generally we go early January so not sure of conditions in March.
Can anyone please advise the best snow sure resorts?
We're snowboarders who like to find powder wherever we can.

Thanks

Rob
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In late March you will have no probs anywhere.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bondirob1, France??? where will you go? Val Thorens or Valberg? makes a big different Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bondirob1, what Layne said - probably. As a rule of thumb if you pick a resort with plenty of pistes over 2,000m you'l be fine. Whether you get powder or not depends on snowfall at the right time wherever you are, of course...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bondirob1, well you are beginning to get into spring skiing and it's not the best time of the season in Europe to chase powder. Most places should have got and retained good cover by then. South facing slopes should begin to be properly springlike - crusty in the morning, soft-slushy in the afternoon.

Great time of year, start a little later to let things soften up, ride till they're too soft, long sunny lunch.

And you just might get powder.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Late March you should have loads of good skiing in any of the well known resorts - fresh powder is just the luck of the draw at any time of the year!

If you're concerned look for somewhere with a glacier and plenty of runs above 2000m - Paradiski, Espace Killy, 3 Valleys, Deux alps etc etc.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bondirob1, welcome to snowheads. snowHead The aspect of slopes can be more important than altitude - and it's good to have a choice. But a lower resort with a good choice of aspect, especially north facing slopes for the afternoons can be a better prospect than somewhere quite high but with predominantly south-facing slopes.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
You are beginning to get into spring skiing and it's not the best time of the season in Europe to chase powder
I've skied four or five days at Tignes/Val Thorens in late April/May Day weekend every year since 2008 - and have had skied fresh powder on more than half those trips. Depends on the weather of course but:
- The statement above is too much of a generalisation - you can't write off the whole of Europe for powder in March!
- If there is precipitation in Europe in March, it will fall as snow if you are high enough up wink.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've skied till the end of the season in a low resort for the last ten years. However, I would say that although there is often great new snowfall in late March it doesn't hang around in good nick for as long as it does in mid January.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You should be fine in most resorts in March but have a look at Avoriaz, Les Contamines, Val Thorens, Tignes.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you all for your replies I've been to Tignes before and loved it but I do like to go somewhere different every year so I'll check out some of the other resorts you mentioned.
Avoriaz is somewhere I've always fancied partly because its near to Geneva but I have heard good things about it.
If I go to Tinged it will be a good excuse for a day in St Foy which I love.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict, uh?

Ok. Which is the best month to be chasing powder?

Would you consider "January is not the best month for sunbathing in the south of France" to be a generalisation?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Would you consider "January is not the best month for sunbathing in the south of France" to be a generalisation?

I would think it the best month, or possibly December. The UV radiation will be at the lowest and hence the probability of getting skin cancer the lowest so surely it is the best month if you have to sunbathe.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Think vitamin D deficiency.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Im crossing fingers for March also. Planning on about the 12th (after schools go back) until end of March in the PDS (Morzine, Avoriaz etc) snowHead
snow report
under a new name, the southern Alps resorts reliably get fresh snowfall and powder in April.
snow report
Lizzard, yeah, so do the Northern Alps. But if you are so confident, exact dates of best snowfall please?

By what I mean is, in general, are you more or less likely to have a powder fall, particularly one that stabilises and stays light in January or late March?
ski holidays
under a new name uh?

This whole thread follows an enquiry about the possibility of snowboarders finding powder in March - and not about how long the powder stays in epic condition. That's something that you have brought (somewhat extraneously) into the thread. Of course powder stays in better nick in January than in late March.

Perhaps I should have preceded my comment regarding generalisation (which I stand by, by the way) with the words 'In my experience and in my opinion...' ie:
Quote:
'In my experience and in my opinion the statement above is too much of a generalisation - you can't write off the whole of Europe for powder in March!
snow conditions
mountainaddict, you misunderstand. You are more likely to get powder in the first place in January than March. And in January it's more likely to last more than a morning. But March skiing can still be really rather delightful and arguably corn can be more fun than powder. Depending.
latest report
Are you two still at it Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy