Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs to Turin?

Poster: A snowHead
I have a week to les arcs with my uni ending Friday 20th December and I need to be in Turin the next day (saturday 21st) to meet up with my family. I've been trying to find out how I would get from les arcs to Turin or even from les arcs to sauze d'oulx? The only way I could think of would be getting a train to Paris and then on to Turin but that would be a complete nightmare so I was hoping someone might have a better idea? I thought about hiring a car and driving as its only 3 and a half hours but not sure how expensive it would be as I am only 22.
Any info or ideas are more than welcome!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you can get a train from Chambery to Turin. You might be able to cadge a lift on a transfer bus to Chambery.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pcurran871, train is a better option. One way rental will be expensive especially as you end up in a different country. I doubt the timetables will be available yet though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Funicular to Bourg st Maurice, train to Chambery and hence to Turin. An easy journey which should take 5 or 6 hours and cost about £40. You may find it easier to get overnight accommodation in Turin than Bourg.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You could get a train to Chambery from Bourg St Maurice, which should meet up with a TGV from Chambery to Turin, as I recall another snowHead did this a few seasons ago.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I went from Tignes to Turin 3 years ago; it was relatively straight forward. I took the altibus from Tignes to Chambery airport, cab to the railway station, and a train to Turin. As johnE says though, it could well be a bit cheaper and easier for you if you take the train from BSM to Chambery.

I stayed overnight in Turin and met some friends who were flying out the next day; getting to the airport from Turin train station is cheap and easy, there are regular coach shuttles which cost less than 10 euros.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wouldn't do Paris option anyway
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yea £40 and only 5 or 6 hours sounds pretty good and cheap to me! I thought one way car rental would have worked out pretty expensive too so I'm glad there is a much better option. Will my les arcs lift pass cover me for the funicular or would I have to pay? Definitely would rather not go to Paris at pretty much all costs as that would be a nightmare! How long would it take to get to Turin airport from the train station?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Take a rucksack with you when you go to Les Arcs. And then...

Go down with the funicular to Bourg St Maurice.
Take the bus from BSM to La Rosiere.
Buy a lift ticket and ski over to La Thuile.
Take the bus to Aosta.
Take the direct train from Aosta to Turin.

More fun, much faster and much cheaper than your route via Paris!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pcurran871, I think it is about 45 minutes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pcurran871,I wasn't sure why you wanted to go to Paris anyway. Was it for sight seeing? The train from Paris will possibly be the same one you pick up in Chambery anyway.

The Les Arcs pass may cover you down to the Bourg. I find the web site a bit confusing here. At one point they allowed a single trip on the funicular the day before and the day after the duration of your lift pass but I cannot find any reference to that now. However you can buy a single journey on the funicular for IIRC about 10 euro. Incidentally there are always a fair number of people lugging luggage up and down the funicular and to the railway station. You will not be alone.

The train journey also allows you to pass the site of the world's worst rail disaster at Saint Michel de Maurienne where the estimates of the death toll is in the order of 1000 people. Pay suitable homage as the train climbs the valley.

I really like Onnem, suggestion about skiing over the Petit st Bernard pass, but, even though there is a free bus from Bourg to La Rossiere, I suspect the lift pass would make it more expensive than the train but certainly more fun.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No I definitely do not want to go to Paris! I just didn't know any other route but now everyone hash eloped me with that.Onnem, as much fun as that would be I fear the cost of a lift pass would outweigh the practicality of doing that.

I think what seems to be the easiest option for me is get to bourg st Maurice on the funicular, then get a train or bus to chambery and then take the train to Turin. I'm guessing it will be a lot cheaper to pre book all the trains? Does anyone know roughly when booking will be available or which website to book through?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pcurran871, It will be September or October before the train prices are released.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
for the rail ticket try sncf (http://www.sncf.com/fr/trains/tgv-france-italie) or raileurope (http://www.raileurope.co.uk/) the sncf web site is a bit of a mess but does allow you to use young persons concessions. The tickets are released about 3 months before the journey.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ok thanks for the information. I will try and work it all out myself and bring this thread back to life if I'm having problems in October.
latest report
Your journey is just after the trains change to the winter timetable, and this means that the tickets often don't go on sale the usual 3 months before travel as they're waiting for the new timetable to be finalised. So don't be surprised if come October you still can't find any tickets. I find the bahn.de website the best for working out which train to take (their train search is far better than the SNCF or Rail Europe ones), but then usually end up booking through Rail Europe.

If you've not already discovered seat61.com, you should go and have a look now - it will answer all your questions.
snow report
I have previously skied part way down the Funicular and taken it back up on my lift pass, and it is possible when there is lots of snow to ski all the way, so I imagine you could do it on your lift pass. Many people save money by staying in Bourg SM and going up every day.
ski holidays
Funicular is €7 one way. You only need this if you ski pass has expired - ie if you travel on the Friday after a days skiing you are OK, if your pass finishes on the Friday and you travel on the Saturday you need to pay.

HTH
snow conditions
BTW the drive to turin is going to be more than three and a half hours in winter, I'ml guessing the rouet would take you over the Col du Petit St Bernard inot the Aosta valley and down the autostrada to Turin, but that Col is under several feet of snow as the Esapce Bernardo link from La Rosiere to La Thuile through winter
snow report
nbt, Via Michelin suggests that it would take the same time through the Frejus tunnel as over the Petit St Bernard, 3h50m. Train is the obvious way to go though.
latest report
Thanks I won't be driving now. Just seems like far too much hassle when the train is right there and easier and cheaper anyway.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy