Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Presidents' Day - implications

Poster: A snowHead
Presidents' Day is Mon 17th Feb. How much of an impact does this have on US and Canadian resorts? In particular Whistler. Is it just long weekend busy or busy for the following week too? This coincides with UK half term week and we were considering crossing the pond this year to escape the crowds but may think again. Thanks snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't know about Canada, but for USA, avoid at all cost. Crowded.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is President's Day always around then? We were in Banff a few years ago on St Valentine's Day, which coincided with Family Day Weekend. It was busier than usual over the weekend, but nothing compared to French, or Scottish, busy!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Presidents day is a US holiday I think. It would appear that the Canadian Family day is on the 10th in British Columbia, and the 17th in Alberta. Whistler could be a good bet in that case?

http://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/canada/2014

I will be in Colorado during the half term and have been told to avoid the resorts sat-mon, but from Tuesday onwards it should be back to normal.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whistler could still attract Weekenders from e.g. Seattle I would think...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been in various parts of the US or CAN for presidents day weekend and TBH didn't notice much of a difference (other than hotel accomodation in cities gets REALLY scarce) Weekends are always busier than weekdays so if you do plan a day off, choose a weekend - although saying that even the weekends don't really get THAT busy... You'll probably have to wait for a lift a bit longer or so...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all. Good news that BC Family Day is not in that same week. Mr Pieholeo, I had thought the same. So I should plan for it to be busy Sat - Mon then. Mmmmm will keep thinking about it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Banff was rammed when we were in Canada on Presidents Day with US ski clubs from all over the USA.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
whistler was choca last time I was there for presidents day - queuing for seats in the huge restaurants which I'd never seen before...strangely Vail not much busier than normal last year the same week....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A lot of American folk take the rest of the week off and make a week of it, but from what we have seen its still not really busy. We've been going over to the US and Canada towards the end of Presidents week for the past few years without problem. Restaurant bookings can be full early evening and some accommodation can get full easily, slopes are usually still quiet though.

The other upside of Presidents Day is the start of the sales - ridiculous reductions like 50% off and more, usually kick starts the ski season sale nicely Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks again for those comments. Given Presidents day will be right at the start of the holiday I'm less reassured. It would be a shame to spend so much and do the travelling to be out of the frying pan and into the fire. Might think again.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whistler is busy the _week_ of Presidents day - Whistler is always popular with visitors fom the US, especially so Presidents week. Normally don't bother going up that weekend.
Note that now the following week is a BC holiday long weekend so not much better, and this period is busiest anyway (the fact that WhistlerBlackcomb petitioned the BC government to ensure this holiday didn't coincide with presidents day tells you something).

That said, you'll probably only really notice it at the weekends, since this is when the crowds coincide with the Vancouver crowd, rest of the time Whistler is relatively quiet.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 2-09-13 22:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stuarth, thanks, right that's it then, Presidents day long weekend for the first weekend and then BC holiday weekend for the second, I think I'll just stick with UK and Paris!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sarah,
See above edit.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stuarth, thanks, still thinking no though now.
latest report
US skiers don't usually go to Canada much, the exception is Whistler. It's the largest resort in N. America so for anyone never cross the pond, that's the best they'll find in terms of mega resorts. It doesn't help it's within driving distance from 2 population center (Vancouver, Seattle).

Are you hell bend to do Whistler? If not, other interior BC resort might be considerably less affected by the US holiday pattern...
ski holidays
Yellow Pyranha wrote:
Is President's Day always around then? We were in Banff a few years ago on St Valentine's Day, which coincided with Family Day Weekend. It was busier than usual over the weekend, but nothing compared to French, or Scottish, busy!

this pretty much - whistler is always a gong show, it's a busier week in US resorts but nothing like half term horror in French sheep farm.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy