Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria ski trip- small stag do! Any help be appreciated

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
I am trying to arrange a stag do for my brother. Both my brother and myself are teachers and have always run trips to Austria, but this will be the first time we will fly (a shame to miss the 18hour coach trip). What is the best/ easiest airport to fly into to ensure we don't have hours worth of traveling the other side?
I am open to suggestions on location of skiing, it doesn't have to be a party city, but I would like bars on the mountain and a few choices back at the village.
We like Austria as it is friendly and cheaper. If anyone can suggest accommodation for approx ten people that would also be a big help, not wanting to break the bank with crazy hotels. I am looking at dates of either 2-5 January or February 2014 half term.

If you can help or have ran a similar trip before please drop me a message.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Goldie84, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Can't help with a suggestion of location, and as I read your title as "small shag do" I think it's probably time I went to bed.

However, I would suggest that January would be cheaper and probably quieter than half term. Mid January would be ideal, if that's possible for you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fly to Innsbruck or Zurich. Go to St. Anton, Mayrhofen or Ischgl.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or Solden.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Goldie84, Innsbruck is without a doubt the best for minimising transfer times, though Munich and Salzburg (and Zurich if heading to Arlberg/Vorarlberg) are also pretty close to lots of very good skiing.

If you're after good skiing and cheap beer, take a look at Saalbach. Sorry, I can't reccomment accomm. though.

What sort of skiing are you after though?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Go to Ibiza in the Alps aka Ischgl and stay here http://www.hotel-alpenrose-ischgl.at 40 euros pppn for half board in January.
You will need to stay for a whole week though. The Austrian hotels don't really do long weekends.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Goldie84, EasyJet - Gatwick-Innsbruck. Then why not stay in Innsbruck itself? Can grab the bus out to places like Igls or Axams and then return for city-style apres ski. Can book the whole shebang via Expedia and it cuts out the cost of transfers (also meaning some can stagger their trip if they don't fancy the full nightmare). Innsbruck has a few gentlemen-oriented clubs... apparently.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Innsbruck is very close to the slopes, but there are over 20 good resorts within 90 mins of Salzburg airport including Bad Gastein, Saalbach-Hinterglemm, Zell am See, Leogang, and the entire Ski Amade region.

For either airport, look at the airport websites for taxi transfers - depending on the size of your group, minibus-taxi(s) booked in advance would be your best option. Your accommodation can often organise this for you.

Regarding dates - I can see that you're tied to school holidays. 2nd -5th Jan may be a struggle as it's the busiest week of the season in Austria, but you should try ringing hotels/pensions directly as they may well have guests who are only staying over the New Year, so may have availability at the end of that week. Alternatively, try the online booking services of the local tourist offices.

Half Term should be less of a problem, except if you only want a weekend rather than a full week. European half terms are spread throughout Feb and the major Austrian/Bayern holiday, Fasching, falls in March in 2014.

Some suggestions for Saalbach - Hotel Konig, Hotel Peter, Pensions Norika, Hagleitner, Grafleiten or Mulk.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Goldie84, Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead

As you're looking for accommodation for less than a full week, you might find this site of use, as you can often find accommodation for such shorter intervals: http://www.tiscover.com/at/winterholidays

P.S If you're flying into Innsbruck, then the resorts in the Zillertal Valley (Mayrhofen, Zell am Ziller etc) are very easy to get to, either by train or if there's a group of you by private transfer.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You could stay in Innsbruck itself and ski the local resorts. Getting accommodation for a long weekend would be far easier than in a resort and you could Apres ski in the town.

http://www.die-seite.at/guide/bar/bars_ibk.php

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 31-07-13 14:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hd wrote:
Go to Ibiza in the Alps aka Ischgl and stay here http://www.hotel-alpenrose-ischgl.at 40 euros pppn for half board in January.
You will need to stay for a whole week though. The Austrian hotels don't really do long weekends.
That is certainly not how it worked for us.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
+1 for tiscover (and similar sites), even if it's just to find individual hotels.

Almost every single one that I've looked at before lists a "per night" and a "per week" price. Given that half of Germany pops down to Austria, and not for a standard Sat-Sat week like UK holidaymakers, you'll find lots of small hotels willing to sell part weeks. And in lower season weeks, probably bundle in lift pass and everything else too. 2nd-5th Jan might be an issue, since that is one of the weeks where Germans might spend a week away.

I usually stay in Innsbruck in winter (elsewhere in summer), usually at a hotel I can cancel last minute if the weather is bad, and almost always for 2-3 nights. But then I have car and can drive somewhere half hour down the road, and not getting wasted in a bar each night.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
2nd - 5th will be pretty tricky to get booked until quite late in the season.
But there will probably be vacancies as many folks check out on the 2nd.
As suggested start hunting about.

Feb half-term will be a good choice though. There are no major Austrian holidays around this point... I think only the UK may be on holiday but I expect someone will correct me on that one pretty soon!

try www.booking.com now and see what comes up.

The pther option is to think of staying in a city.
Eg... stay in Salzburg, drive 40min for Ski Amadé ... get home and then go out in the big city!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
2nd - 5th will be pretty tricky to get booked until quite late in the season.
But there will probably be vacancies as many folks check out on the 2nd.
As suggested start hunting about.

Feb half-term will be a good choice though. There are no major Austrian holidays around this point... I think only the UK may be on holiday but I expect someone will correct me on that one pretty soon!

try www.booking.com now and see what comes up.

The pther option is to think of staying in a city.
Eg... stay in Salzburg, drive 40min for Ski Amadé ... get home and then go out in the big city!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Goldie84, Did this a few years back

Flew to Munich Friday night
Self-Drove to Kitzbuhel (2x 5 in cars) - about 150 minutes although I could be wrong
stayed here http://www.snowbunnys.co.uk/about.php - pretty close to centre - 5-10 minuteish walk to main lift
arrive about 1am Sat, dropped kit went to bar - went to bed about 6am, stopping for 'midnight munchies' as the bakery was opening up
on the hill about 10am. nice lunch, down the hill come 4pm. time for 6 nations.
Cheap n cheerful pizzas. bar crawl round the pubs. bed betwee 1-4 depending on stamina
Ski on sunday in fresh poweder and sunshine...
Of the hill at 5, back to airport, fly home.
Die on monday

only bit we missed was 'traditional stag entertainment' - but if you're looking for then there's the odd place in Kirchberg (so I hear..)

Full marks alround...
snow conditions
Hotel Garni Sunshine in Soelden takes short bookings. I suspect half term is going to be easier than the tail end of NY week, most hotels look booked up.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 12-08-13 13:48; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I did a long weekend in Innsbruck a few years ago and worked really well. There was a deal where you could choose out of a number of hotels and they included the ski pass in the package. It was really good value, good choice of hotels in the city and then you just got the ski bus out in the morning. Its worth googling to see if they are still doing it as I think you would be hard pushed to beat it for value, ease of travel and also some decent skiing.
If you want to be in resort then I'd probably get a cheap flight into Munich and get a four seasons transfer or something like that. In Mayrhofen for example if you go onto the tourist board website you can do an accommodation request and get good quality basic accommodation for reasonable money. If you are not worried about being in the heart of it you can stay in one of the villages outside and make quite a good saving.
snow report
Quote:

I did a long weekend in Innsbruck a few years ago and worked really well. There was a deal where you could choose out of a number of hotels and they included the ski pass in the package. It was really good value, good choice of hotels in the city and then you just got the ski bus out in the morning. Its worth googling to see if they are still doing it as I think you would be hard pushed to beat it for value, ease of travel and also some decent skiing.

They definitely still have hotels/lift pass packages through the tourist office, though I don't know if it's still the same/same choices of accomm.
ski holidays
hd wrote:

at that price you could pay for the week and just use long weekend flights.
snow report
http://www.innsbruck-hotels.at/pdf/Skipackages_Folder_EN.pdf

4 nights half board with 3 days at Axamer Lizum for 315 euro would seem a reasonably good deal.
snow report
Flights to Munich are really cheap with Lufthansa and include ski carriage. You can easily take a train transfer to lots of Austrian resorts and there are cheap 'Bayern' tickets for groups.
latest report
pablito69, Bayern tickets only go as far as the border - although you can get to the centre of Salzburg on one as they designated one of the platforms to be "in" Freilassing (about 5kms away as the crow flies!) Shocked I think ÖBB also do a partner type ticket as well, but not so sure about group ones like the 5 people ones on the Schone Wochenede /Bayern tickets.
snow report
Sorry, I stand corrected! Although my german speaking friend assured me the Bayern ticket was good to get us all the way to the station for Soll (Kufstein?) rolling eyes
snow conditions
pablito69, not sure if it will get you to Kufstein (over the border) but you can get close by going as far as Kiefersfelden (right next to Kufstein) which is still in Bavaria.
snow conditions
You definently get as far as Kufstein on the Bayern ticket as we got diverted once from Innsbruck and my wife was waiting to pick us up. Rather than get coached back to Innsbruck just to turn round and drive back to Kitz, she picked us up in Kufstein. Definetly just the one ticket bought at the airport .From memory about 32Euro for the 4 of us.
ski holidays
This link gives you the current T&Cs for the Schönes-Wochenende tickets which currently cost 42 euro for up to 5 people: http://www.bahn.com/i/view/GBR/en/prices/germany/regional-offers-overview.shtml

For the same kind of deal during the week it is called a Bayern Ticket and currently it does go to Kufstein - you usually have to change from the S-Bahn at the Ostbahnhof for a Regional train (do not try and get a fast ICE one as it costs extra per person) and then maybe again at Rosenheim for the local train along the Inn valley.

I would continue to check the validity right up to the time you actually depart as DB are changing their T&Cs all the time - big changes usually occur around the second sunday in December - both schedules and fares change then.
latest report
A bit surprized that hotel costs in Innsbruck are higher than Vienna .....

http://austriantimes.at/news/Travel/2013-07-09/49557/Hotels_cost_most_in_Innsbruck_according_to_study
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy