Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lift pass costs in Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Hiya everyone,

in France for example, there is only one price you pay for the holiday lift pass. This doesn't seem to be the case in Canada? Is it better to pre-buy with TO, order online or wait and but in resort. We're off to Fernie, Kicking Horse & Banff next year.
Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Those places have some of the most expensive lift passes in the world with very little discount for multiple days. Best bet is likely to be whatever TO can wangle or if you can score one of the local "discount" cards which you pay for say your first day on then get a discount off subsequent days/free day after so many. the latter often have residency restrictions attached as they are intended for near locals nor tourists.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Only discount i've ever heard of (other than the legend that is the locals tickets) is getting early season tickets, but you're going to the Big 3 at Banff and 2 RMR mountains, so you'd need passes for both, PLUS they're only cost effective if you're going for about 5 weeks or so each...
Unless you're a student or a senior looks like your TO will offer a "fair" price.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Buying in resort on the day is the worst option.

TO prices seem to be OK from memory, certainly cheaper than buying at the kiosk; hotels or condo booking services can often get passes at a discount if you order in advance. Ordering online from the lift company would likely be cheaper than buying in resort too, but I've never done this. Don't forget to add in sales tax too, which will never be included in the price quoted.

Depending on where you go there may be other options; e.g. for Whistler it's cheaper to buy in the 7-11 in Squamish on the way up from Vancouver (although technically you need to be a resident of BC or WA to qualify for this).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sah wrote:
Depending on where you go there may be other options; e.g. for Whistler it's cheaper to buy in the 7-11 in Squamish on the way up from Vancouver (although technically you need to be a resident of BC or WA to qualify for this).

Is that right? I thought you got it even cheaper if you are a resident? Or maybe they just never bothered to ask for my ID
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's worth looking for other deals online - following another Snowhead's suggestion, we got a good deal from American Ski Classics. Others have suggested Canadian Affair, I think.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had a good deal last January from liftopia.com. I cant remember the exact % discount, 12-15% ish I think, but it definitely worked out cheaper than the TO's and in resort.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
American ski classics is good if they will do the places you want. Liftopia is another one to consider - have used them both before. Some places wont do lift pass deals unless buying accomodation too

TO on Banff will probably be the cheapest IIRC as it includses the buses too ( big3 pass) Depending on what you are doing at KIcking Horse ( if staying over, your lodgings may do discountyed lift passes - they did for us ) Fernie dont do deals IIRC so TO will probably be the best option.

sah, No sales tax on lift tickets Smile they price quoted is price paid, as its considered transportation IIRC
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Definitely do not buy your ticket on the day as its a lot more expensive in Canada! TO is probably your best bet or search for deals online and try and book before the start of the season.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bones wrote:
American ski classics is good if they will do the places you want. Liftopia is another one to consider - have used them both before. Some places wont do lift pass deals unless buying accomodation too

TO on Banff will probably be the cheapest IIRC as it includses the buses too ( big3 pass) Depending on what you are doing at KIcking Horse ( if staying over, your lodgings may do discountyed lift passes - they did for us ) Fernie dont do deals IIRC so TO will probably be the best option.

sah, No sales tax on lift tickets Smile they price quoted is price paid, as its considered transportation IIRC

maybe in Alberta (is there tax on anything there? wink ), but in BC there is gst to pay on lift tickets. Used to be 12% when we had hst but now only 5% (one good thing I suppose about ditching hst?)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno wrote:
sah wrote:

Is that right? I thought you got it even cheaper if you are a resident? Or maybe they just never bothered to ask for my ID

That was the case last time I was there... probably 5 or more years ago. I never got asked for ID but if you check the small print it said locals only.

Most of my Vancouver friends either got a "pay as you go" card (I forget the name, basically it's a pass you buy up front with a few days loaded on it, then when those days are used up you get charged a discounted day rate every time you go). The alternative is to buy tickets up front, often through work schemes. I think these 2 options worked out cheaper than a season pass unless you planned on skiing every weekend and a few week days.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stuarth wrote:
Bones wrote:

maybe in Alberta (is there tax on anything there? wink ), but in BC there is gst to pay on lift tickets. Used to be 12% when we had hst but now only 5% (one good thing I suppose about ditching hst?)

Yep, I seem to remember BC will tax just about anything:(
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I bought my Banff pass from Canadian affair and got a good deal by ordering in advance (IIRC it had to be before Dec 15th), and this saved somewhere in the region of 30%. Don't know if they have this offer on this year.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sah, must admit, I have never read the small print on a lift ticket!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Fernie don't do deals IIRC
Not even on multi-day tickets Shocked - ie a six day pass is six times the cost of a day pass etc. Surely unique in the world of skiing? A disgraceful and grasping approach in my book - and an over-rated and ill-signposted ski area as well if you ask me.
ski holidays
Thank-you all very much for your answers, much appreciated. Can't wait!
latest report
Costco is also an option for discount tickets if your UK card works internationally

tickets through AMA are also an option if your AA card has reciprocal agreements

alberta has 5% GSTstuarth!!!!!
latest report
sah wrote:
Arno wrote:
sah wrote:

That was the case last time I was there... probably 5 or more years ago. I never got asked for ID but if you check the small print it said locals only.

Most of my Vancouver friends either got a "pay as you go" card (I forget the name, basically it's a pass you buy up front with a few days loaded on it, then when those days are used up you get charged a discounted day rate every time you go). The alternative is to buy tickets up front, often through work schemes. I think these 2 options worked out cheaper than a season pass unless you planned on skiing every weekend and a few week days.

Called an Edge card (and yes you are meant to be a resident of Canada or Washington state to get one, and yes they do check ID a bit more thoroughly now)
If you buy the early bird season pass, it works out cheaper if you ski more than about 15 days, also gets more discounts and works in the summer too. Major advantage of a season pass is that you don't try and ration your days, or run out at the end of the season. You can also do that one epic run day and then go to Dusty's without feeling like you just blew $80 snowHead
snow report
sah wrote:
Yep, I seem to remember BC will tax just about anything:

I guess here in the UK books and trains and a few things are tax free, but everything else is 20%.
snow report
How many days are you in any one resort? You would need to check the web sites for each resorts but some times if you are there more than 8-10 days its worth getting a season pass for one of the resorts. This then gives you a 25% discount on day tickets at other resorts in other B.C, Alberta and Washington ski resorts. Costco often has 2 day passes for various ski resorts, you can use your UK card.
ski holidays
We're only there for 2 weeks in total, 6 days in Fernie, 4 in KH and 4 in Banff. The websites I've checked aren't putting prices up for winter passes at the mo, only summer ones, hence the OP really.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy