Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ideal sizes for 2 ski quiver

Poster: A snowHead
I have skied on skis in the 90-100mm underfoot range for the last few years and generally been quite happy with them (Volkl Bridge and Aura, Rossi S3), I also have an SL ski for when it is icy and there is no fresh snow around although thankfully it doesn't get skied that much. I would like a fatter ski and will probably replace the Aura and S3 I have at some point so just having a think about what 2 skis would work well together. I'm thinking ~105-115mm for the fatter one and ~85-95mm for the everyday ski. What do other people think is an ideal 2 ski quiver for someone skiing in Europe, off piste as much as possible, at least one set will be mounted with touring bindings although I have only done a few tours so far I would like to do more? Should I go fatter, skinier? I haven't skied a ski below 90mm regularly for a while will a 80 something mm ski still be easy to ski manky snow? I am not a ski god and want my skis to help me, I have lessons to improve my technique Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
90-100mm, 110-120mm.

Edit: I'm 5 foot 9 and around 75kg. If I could only keep two pairs of skis from my quiver, it'd be the 97mm and 118mm sets. Though my 110mm 'pow touring' skis are pretty bad-ass (the 97s just aren't as fun when there's more than 10cm of fresh, though they've been great for spring corn touring).

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 19-05-13 18:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Smile actually that might be better, the fattest ski I have skied is the WD Redeemer and I didn't think I wanted to go that fat but looking again it is 128mm, I thought it was 120mm, so 120 might be ok
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've just gone up this season from 65mm and 104mm underfoot to 77mm and 112mm. The lengths have gone up too.

I've done full days in all types of snow on both and like them. I'd pick the wider skis for most days, unless it's really, really skied out and hard.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lynseyf, how heavy/tall are you?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
5'9 not sure of weight but strong, reasonably fit and not sylph like
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski width underfoot is what will support your weight in soft snow/powder so your weight is an important factor. I'm 5'9"/90kg & have a two ski quiver of 99mm & 117mm underfoot respectively which I'm really happy with however someone of the same height/ability but only 75kg might get equal performance out of a pair of 85mm & 100mm.

Camber & rocker are also a major factor in how much a ski will help you in soft snow so a narrower ski with minimal camber & good tip rocker will be easier to ski than a wider ski with a conventional camber & tip. Overal weight & swing weight also have an effect, especially in reducing fatigue, which is why carbon construction is now starting to replace a traditional construction & anything with a metal layer is going to hurt.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lynseyf, i sort of hate to be admitting this, but I skid my 67mm SLs exactly two days and my 97 or there abouts Mantras almost every other day.

Including the best powder day ever, ever. And I didn't feel the need for anything fatter.

I hear from some who tour regularly that somewhere around 80 is considered idealish.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've gone 78mm for a day to day ski, which does really well on piste and is good enough off and in manky snow, then 112mm underfoot for off piste days.

Big question is how much piste skiing will you do and do you want performance on piste, or just enough to get by?

Chatting to the guide we had in Stuben he reckoned 90-100mm is the ideal width if you are only going to own one pair
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:

Chatting to the guide we had in Stuben he reckoned 90-100mm is the ideal width if you are only going to own one pair

yes this is what I've had for the last few years and I would agree, I now want a fatter ski, even if I don't need one and was wondering if I should go skinnier for my everyday ski but I think I'll stick with this size as it does seem to work well. I'm not really bothered about piste performance and I have an SL ski if I really want to practise stuff on piste all day.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Guys perhaps someone I here can help, 45 year old 120kg 182 cm skier solid intermediate needs advice on skis for frontside that he can get into the softer stuff finding the ski geek stuff a bit confusing but am trying to work out a ski length and waist etc please can someone help tune me in with solid advise. Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stwusauk wrote:
Guys perhaps someone I here can help, 45 year old 120kg 182 cm skier solid intermediate needs advice on skis for frontside that he can get into the softer stuff finding the ski geek stuff a bit confusing but am trying to work out a ski length and waist etc please can someone help tune me in with solid advise. Puzzled

I d look at - Scott Crusade 189, Volkl Mantra , Line Prophet 98 in 186 (?), Blizzard Bonafide in 186 (?). From a 45+ ex-120Kg 184 cm. (now 100kg and can the difference!)

Also the Scott Venture. But there are loads of skis out there you could like and love - demo up if you can!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"advice on skis for frontside "

Actually maybe you want to look more at the all mountain carver types like Volkl RTM range - I don't know them. Advice will arrive shortly though!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers guys, have used the atomic sl ti and rossignol slant nose at 166 but sink as soon as I touch the sides a piste oriented ski that can get into powder as I try to improve would be great when I see the length of skis mentioned here I get worried. I know 166 is short but I really like fast turns just want to be able to be a bit more useable in the softer stuff. Ps ski for 30 days a year for last 5 years but this will be first skis I buy.

Puzzled
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Stwusauk, I think you should start a new thread for this but anyway, at your size and weight a 166 is never going to be any use for anything other than slalom. Of course you sink when you go off the side.

You should be going up about 15cm in a traditional camber ski and 15-25cms in anything with a rocker or early rise tip. Remember a rockered ski feels shorter than its actual length on piste so don't be too scared of it and with 25 weeks experience you should adapt quickly. A waist width in the mid/high 80's would give you a frontside bias still. Buy a used pair of slalom skis too if you don't want to feel too compromised.

There's a lot of different design philosophies out there so as a rough bit of logic as to what length to buy when looking at any particular model of ski, I would say you are in the largest size demographic they have in mind for their products so just buy the longest length available. If that length scares you, look at a different model ski. If it's in your price bracket, something like a Kastle BMX88 in 188cm would be perfect.
snow report
Stwusauk wrote:
Guys perhaps someone I here can help, 45 year old 120kg 182 cm skier

Ski's don't know how tall you are, but they certainly are affected by weight, you should be on 180cm skis at a minimum IMHO especially for off piste, given your weight.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Stwusauk wrote:
Guys perhaps someone I here can help, 45 year old 120kg 182 cm skier

Ski's don't know how tall you are, but they certainly are affected by weight, you should be on 180cm skis at a minimum IMHO especially for off piste, given your weight.

Yes they do! Yes weight does have a great affect to, but don't forget your principle of leavers. I know a fair number of light (for their height) tall folks that put much more force into skis than any shorter heavier guys ever can.
snow conditions
I think it depends not just on the snow conditions but on how you like to ski. If you like to ski short carved turns then take a Slalom ski, but its very restrictive for the whole mountain. I get bored after about an hour on a slalom ski and find myself wishing I had a bit more length. Thinking has changed a lot even in just 5 years and its now easy to get a ski that can handle everything well (unless you want to carve tight turns, slalom skis are a specialized tool). Again its all about preference, but for me I like something around 185-190cm, with a positive camber and enough power to hold an edge. Try the Volkl Mantra or the Black Crows Corvus. I guess if I had to take a piste specific ski then a GS ski is a bit more useable, but consider the above.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy