Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

mantra or bonafides

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
I need some well informed opinions.
I am considering changing my ski choice for the wider 98s ( previous been set on nothing wider than Outland 80s.
Looking for a ski can will allow me to develop confidence and erformabnce off piste but still able to ski mainly on the piste to be social with my usual company.
It has got me to the choice above for the NZ ski season.
I can pick up Mantras from 2012, 2013 or 2014 range - is it only the graphics that is different?
Secondly would the Blizzard bonafides be a better choice they seem to get a slightly better review in terms of overall performance.

I am experienced, although not above 8 on skill rating, 85kgs, 52 years old.
Appreciate any feedback
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
frenchnz, I can't talk to the Blizzards, but here's my take on the Mantras.

Just for background, me: 5'6", 136lbs, no idea how much I've skied but typically 50-60 days per year, >40 years experience. Worked a few seasons. Some might suggest I am a little old skool! Mantras 177cms, bought EU summer 2011 (so I guess 2011 model year). I believe that they added a modest rocker for this (2013) year (maybe also 2012?).

I find them unbeatable. They handle pretty much anything well and have seen the deepest fluffiest powder (yay!!) and mankiest, nastiest sludge (ugh!). At no point have I felt the need for anything wider. In general on piste they ski very much like a wide GS ski (if you discount the width, exactly like my Volkl FIS GS Racetigers in fact). There is no apparent speed limit, stable as you like, yet playful as long as you are on top of them.

I read a review on the Blizz http://freeskier.com/gear/products/blizzard-bonafide-skis-review and they sound (insofar as a review can tell you anything) less all rounded than I find the Mantras.

Only other comment is that another SH has suggested that Volkl's similar geometry touring ski skis just as well but is significantly lighter - an idea that is appealing to my other half.

Oh and I'd add that they are now my "go to" ski, leaving my SLs on the shelf, even for hard, icy, piste days.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
Some might suggest I am a little old skool!

Others would go for pre-historic wink

I've not skied a Mantra for some time but at the time found it as the man says very much like an "all mountain" GS ski. I don't know whether the addition of rocker has made it a bit more playful and chuckable, which may or may not be your thing.

I skied the Bonafide at the beginning of last season and found it delightful, a ski that did live up to the hype. Predictable yet playful, and while I was only indoors the camber made mincemeat of the piles of sluggish granular crud that rapidly accumulate.

Overall I'd say they are both good skis , whether one tips the balance for you is probably down to how traditional you are, with time spend on performance piste skiing (Mantra) or whether you'll really be getting lots of softish off piste or spring snow (Bonafide). JMO of course.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
frenchnz, and with that from fatbob, I guess we have to go back to the old mantra (hahahaha) of "try before you buy".

I will confess that I am deeply unconvinced as to how much of a feel you can get for anything in a fridge (frenchnz, that's an indoors refrigerated snowdome in case you don't have then in NZ).

P.S. I am no longer quite so old skool following some coaching at start of last season and the Mantras run even better with more "modern" technique.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
........me: 5'6", 136lbs........ At no point have I felt the need for anything wider.....

At under under 10 stone I'm not suprised. Us fat knackers need the girth though wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
frenchnz, Edge and Wax have Mantras discounted atm, older seasons skis for £199 Madeye-Smiley newer slightly more.

Plus Marker bindings for them discounted too.

Not skied them but love my other Volkls and previous pair also.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks for the advice guys.
I guess for me the likely balance is more on to off pistes - say 70 - 30, but i am readily to venture more places.
I ski a bit traditional European from 80s so i am crticised for skiing with the feet to close together. My OLD skis are xscreams which are now collectables, so i demoned various in Val D'Isere this January. I am convinced i need to change, and i am sure both skis b do well in the niche but I still need convincing that 98mm underfoot is not going to set my main stay skiing back.
I think a demo is a good idea, although stocks and opportunities are limilted down here so I may need to move soon whiles stocks last. At least we do get some ski gear model years earily here!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
frenchnz, hmmm, things are all so different... I was well impressed with the original Xcream as a superb sick-as-a-dog hangover ski, on days when I didn't feel up to my Rossi 7S (or, indeed, getting out of bed).

The Mantra does require a certain input even though you can pootle along. It's a very different ski though.

On the flip side, Xcreams didn't have a lot to give IMO when you really pushed them. Whereas the Mantras, to my view, do.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob wrote:
under a new name wrote:
Some might suggest I am a little old skool!

Others would go for pre-historic wink

I've not skied a Mantra for some time but at the time found it as the man says very much like an "all mountain" GS ski. I don't know whether the addition of rocker has made it a bit more playful and chuckable, which may or may not be your thing.

I skied the Bonafide at the beginning of last season and found it delightful, a ski that did live up to the hype. Predictable yet playful, and while I was only indoors the camber made mincemeat of the piles of sluggish granular crud that rapidly accumulate.

Overall I'd say they are both good skis , whether one tips the balance for you is probably down to how traditional you are, with time spend on performance piste skiing (Mantra) or whether you'll really be getting lots of softish off piste or spring snow (Bonafide). JMO of course.

Funny to hear Mantras described as an on-piste, GS like ski, though they are indeed pretty solid on piste skis
I had them quite some time back (2006? so slightly skinnier) and they were definitely my go everywhere powder ski - I took them on my first outing to Red mountain where they ripped the pow in the trees and cat skiing where we skied the deepest lightest deepestest fluffiest powder ever, and they were great for that too snowHead
Like all Volkl freeskis they do benefit from a bit of commitment.

Much as I loved them though, even bigger fatter rockered skis make skiing absolutely everywhere off the beaten track better.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stuarth, what I meant that for a these days probably not even mid fat, on piste, when you discount the edge to edge castor delays they then ride as well and with similar feel to my GS ski.

In comparison to the Stöckli DP Pro of a few years back which rode like a fat DH ski. Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stuarth I wasn't meaning that the Mantra is a pure piste ski but well you know more than anyone its no longer really up to the top of the performance envelope at least in West coast/ interior fresh or Euro big days.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

everywhere off the beaten track better

Quote:

its no longer really up to the top of the performance envelope at least in West coast/ interior fresh or Euro big days

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think while fatter skis may well perform better in such conditions, if you're looking for one ski that will work well enough anywhere, it's difficult to think of anything that performs better all round.

Did I take them heli-skiing? No I did not.

Did they work fine on January 30, 2013, arguably the best and finest powder in the Northern alps, ever, ever, ever? Sure they did. snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, Yup that's exactly what the 100mm class of skis are for IMV - do everything well enough (and you can get them to work in the bumps).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, I won't quibble over 2mm wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob, although according to those who know, the rando bunch still prefer 80-85mm and they're skiing much more rubbish in a hardcore sort of way...
ski holidays
Update from speaking with the techie expert at the shop-

First question - any opinions regarding bindings the Marker Griffins vs STH 14 Driver

Second question, his feedback was that Mantras would be potentially to much ski for me, especially when i tire as I am not a 100 day in the resort skier / instructor. The must be skied hard and as a weekender that may not be appropriate - his recommendation in the 98 under foot range was Line Prophets or Salomon Q98s.
He did concede the Bonafides would be more forgiving than Mantras.
This is somewhat at odds with my background research - so before i commit any final thoughts gratefully received thanks.

Snow forecast over the next two days so possible get to try out a newe purchase this weekend!!
snow report
fatbob, you can make Mantras work in the bumps, but not by any stretch of the imagination would I bill them as bumps skis! Having said that I ski Mantras all the time, unfortunately mostly on piste these days cos I always have my children with me. They are great skis, especially for chopped up crud and spring slush skiing.
frenchnz, I don't agree with the techie expert tbh. If you are a decent skier, which I assume you are given that you want to do off-piste, then they will be no problem at all for you.
latest report
frenchnz, is your ski shop chap really an expert and does he have a good handle on how well you ski?

If he is and he does, great, listen to his advice.

I have had a number of vigorous debates over the years with not particularly well informed shop folk who simply insist on spouting the then current manufacturers marketing puff. Especially, "no you don't need stiff boots with modern skis" some years ago. Ho hum.

I don't feel the Mantra really needs to be skied that hard, although certainly it responds better to a firm hand on the scruff of the neck than the Xcream did.

Can't you get some on a try or return basis - or are there no local demo days coming up?

(edited to be a little clearer)

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 19-06-13 11:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
frenchnz, the wife and I both owning a pair as 'daily drivers', I have to agree with the shop guy. The Mantra is a demanding 97mm ski for all day/all week skiing - it's a lot stiffer and heavier than most other skis in that width ballpark. It's okay if you're used to metal laminate race skis like under a new name and me, but it's not what I'd term an easy ride, even compared to my longer and wider Katanas (which have a name for being a hard-charging all-mountain ski) that I use on big/deep days. My wife (who competes at a national level in another sport so is very strong and fit) found the Atomic Automatics (longer, wider but softer) she tried at Easter much easier, less tiresome and just more fun to ski in mixed chop and pow, albeit giving up a bit of performance on hard-pack. Try to test before you buy and take into account how much skiing you'll be doing, if they feel a handful while fresh they'll be b00gers to ski at the end of a knackering day.

Steilhang, Mantras a helluva lot easier in bumps than my Katanas but I'm yearning for my slalom skis whenever we hit the moguls.
ski holidays
frenchnz, I'd go with the demos your shop guy recommends and see what you think - if you're a regular weekend skier it's not as if you won't get plenty of variation in conditions and time to second guess whether you made the right choice if you go for the buy (cheap) before you try. I've no idea what the current Prophet is like but its grandfather over 11 years ago (the Mothership) basically created the category (& was arguably knocked off by K2 for the Seth Pistol). Bonafide strikes me as a more modern redesign (being 3 seasons old) than the Mantra which I understand it was engineered off the all time classic Explosiv but it doesn't necessarily make it better. I have a native bias against Salomon skis so my opinion on them is worthless.
snow report
Bought the prophets - i will update for those who pick up this thread. hopefully i have doen the right thing!!
snow report
under a new name wrote:
fatbob, although according to those who know, the rando bunch still prefer 80-85mm and they're skiing much more rubbish in a hardcore sort of way...

I think the clue's there - possibly more about the up than the down. Unless you mean the really biglines boys.
snow conditions
Finally after weather and work delays got up the hill. The P80 were excellent. They were easy too use on new snow over a firm piste. Felt very responsive and dispite looking wide they went through bumps readily. Grip on firmer parts was good and felt confident of holding on steep sections. The only slight negative they were a bit twitchy went on a straight fast tranverse - this is where the longer length might have been helpful. Overall very happy with the upgrade from the old skis - obviously i cant say whether they are better suited compared to Bonfides or similar but I would recommend these.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy