Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Maurienne Valley resorts - worth a try?

Poster: A snowHead
Believe it or not one can run out of skiing resorts to visit in the Alps.

Think I have covered most of the large resorts, say with over 150km piste, in the Alps. There are a few in the South Alps in France which I could not pick up sufficient interest to go. However I have not done a resort in Maurienne Valley (one after Tarentaise coming from the North) and wonder if it is worth spending a week or two there in mid January.

Looking at the Internet it appears the valley has the following choices (travelling from Chambery/Albertville to Modane)

St Francis (this is just the tail end of Valmorel which I have skied twice)

St Sorlin d'Arves (Sybelles) &
St Jean d' Arves (Sybelles) together 310km piste

Vallorire/Valmeinier about 150km piste

Orelle (this is just a chairlift to ski Val Thoren of 3V, which I have been loads of times, and itself not really a Maurienne Valley resort)

Val Cenis/Aussois/La Norma (with about 85/55/65 km piste respectively at the dead end of the valley, the road beyond to Espace Killy is closed in winter)

Wonder if I have missed anything. I suppose if one gets desperate going through the Frejus tunnel one can find the Italian Bardonecchia resort as an alternative too.

My usual attempt would be taking a AWD car along and stay possibly between 2 to 3 locations, hence not staying at one place for a fixed week, to ski the lot (thinking of giving St Francis and Orelle a miss though).

The trouble with this valley is the resorts are only famous for the beginners. That I wouldn't mind. However the French accommodations, especially those close to a resort, are not known to be flexible for visitors stay for less than a week. Therefore I was wondering whether to spend the skiing holiday instead on more attractive resorts that I have visited before and sure of the flexibility, better accommodation and great scenery, like St Anton, Ischgl, Ski Welt, Davos, St Moritz, Dolomites....

Any SH who has done this Maurienne Valley on a DIY trip?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
saikee, I've been to St Sorlin a couple of times trip report here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=277919

There have been several reports of similar tours I think. Isn't there a very attractively priced ticket covering several resorts?

You could always stay down in the valley I suppose St Jean & St Michel de Maurienne.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
2010 resort TR: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=63581
2012 resort TR: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1995912
2013 resort TR: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2247546

2012 touring TR: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2027068
2013 touring TR: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=99965

'nuf?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dutch experiences in Val Cenis, google translated
http://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=nl&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wintersporters.nl%2Fskigebieden%2Fvalcenis%2Fervaringen

french experiences from skipass.com the best site for french ski areas with lots of reviews of even the smallest areas
http://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.skipass.com%2Fcommentaires%2Fval-cenis.html
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
saikee,
I have skied several resorts in the Maurienne valley a couple of times, the resorts are reasonably priced, the scenery is good and the skiing fun. I would certainly go back and have skied several of the other resorts you list.
One thing to be aware of is that although the distances between the resorts are not huge many of the roads are slow and winding, I have been late season not January and icy roads have not been a problem but could be.
You have missed on your list Bonneval which is lovely and Valfrejus which has excellent skiing although the resort itself is no great beauty.
As mentioned by Claude B, there is a very reasonably priced lift ticket with which you can visit the different resorts.

Just looked at the website the lift pass has gone up significantly since I last went about four years ago when it was €80 for five days it is now €110 for five days, though you still get half price for extra days.

http://www.maurienne-tourisme.com/fr/il4-maurienne,bougez_p38-ski-maurienne-sans-frontieres.aspx

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 27-06-13 18:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've stayed for a week in Valloire in January a few years back, nice little French resort, pretty enough although not quite in the 'spectacular' category for scenery. Plenty of skiing on offer, uncrowded, nice food at village level, three seperate hills to explore with off piste easily accessible. Yes much of the pistes appear cruisy, but there are challenges to be found, and each sector has a different feel so you have a sense of travel. I was pleasantly surprised when we visited. The village has markets by the church and feels more French than many resorts.

You can buy a list pass that covers the whole Maurianne valley,and sometimes the season passes go on early sale and are cheaper than buying a two week pass. Worth looking into.

I've heard good things about Val Cenis, might be worth a day trip or two? The Seybelles sector is probably big enough to warrant one week, then base yourself in Valloire but do day trips for the second week? I've not been, but I know people who have and said they didn't have very high expectations but were pleasantly pleased with the area. It cannot compete in terms of fast lifts, and is not especially well linked, but again, each sector apparently has its own character and a full range of skiing is on offer.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Valloire/Valmeinier is a proper 'gem that nobody knows about'.

Don't mention it to anyone, Mr Pike!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't seem to be many choices of accommodation along the route A43 of the valley floor.

T Bar,

Is your Bonneval=Bonneval-sur-Arc on the Val D'Isere side or the road is still passable from Modane side?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are loads of places - just locate the Maurienne in Google maps and then type 'hotel' into the search bar.

I'll admit there are not many cheap places - which is why we ended up in Hotel Bernard in St Jean de Maurienne.

Yes, Bonneval = Bonneval-sur-Arc. There's a full list of resorts here:
http://www.maurienne-tourisme.com/InfoliveDocuments/pdf/depliant_smsf_12-13-w.pdf
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
saikee wrote:
Don't seem to be many choices of accommodation along the route A43 of the valley floor.

T Bar,

Is your Bonneval=Bonneval-sur-Arc on the Val D'Isere side or the road is still passable from Modane side?

As per Altis comment very definitely passable from Modane but not from Val D'Isere in winter other than on skis.
You could try the Maurienne website. for accommodation. Termignon is valley floor.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Guys.

The information is in line with my research so far. I always enjoy each resort for its own features and seldom run into one I dislike. Have been thinking of staying at Termignon for Val Cenis area and may be another place between St Jean & St Michel de Maurienne.

Think Les Sybelles formed by St Jean D'Arves and St Sorlin D'Arves is well linked together and so do Valloire and Valmeinier. What is the Val Cenis area like? It seems to be separated into different bits.

Is there any truth that the Maurienne Valley may have a higher concentration of easy resorts aiming at the intermediate/beginner market making its resorts not as popular as other resorts in Savoie, Haute Savoie and Hautes Alpes? Looking at their piste maps I wonder why I thought Chamonix was the right place to learn skiing.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
saikee wrote:
What is the Val Cenis area like? It seems to be separated into different bits.

I stayed in Termignon a few years ago. The area pistes are fairly wide open and not particularly challenging. There's 1 mogul black run directly above Val Cenis. A nice view of the lake from the top. Longest green run (l'escargot IIRC) too, which is just the mountain road down. Val Cenis is connected to Termignon with a relatively new lift. There's a bus service that connects the villages, but they're not very frequent. Bonneval is definitely worth a visit coz it's high and has good snow, although the weather can be bad up there.

saikee wrote:
Is there any truth that the Maurienne Valley may have a higher concentration of easy resorts aiming at the intermediate/beginner market making its resorts not as popular as other resorts in Savoie, Haute Savoie and Hautes Alpes? Looking at their piste maps I wonder why I thought Chamonix was the right place to learn skiing.

Yup. More intermediate stuff and great for beginners. The secret to the area is the good off-piste tree skiing, so might be worth researching guides. Termignon is v small and still a working farm village but there's a large supermarket about 10 minute drive down the valley. If you get bored, you can drive down to Orelle which is connected to Val Thorens. That's all I can remember for now. I quite enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere, reasonable prices and short queues of these small resorts. Have fun.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have you been to Aosta yet.
-Direct cablecar to Pila, which is nice for 1-2 days.
-30 minutes to La Thuile, connected to La Rosiere, 150 kms of slope
-40 minutes to Courmayeur
-60 minutes to Cervinia

Another nice one: Embrun or Briancon
-Les Orres (80 kms, nice vertical)
-Crevoux (40 kms)
-Foret Blanche (150 kms)
-Serre Chevalier
-Montgenevre
-
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have been to the Maurienne twice a year for the last 3 years, visiting Valloire at New Year, and Val Cenis at varying times. The attractions for me are prices ( Val Cenis pass was 130 euro last year), lack of crowds and queues (and toffs with loud voices), friendly locals, who are actually pleased to take your money, and good off piste, and trees. I have also seen more wildlife there than anywhere else in French Alps. I doubt that I would visit a mega station again. Val Cenis` towns are quieter than Valloire.
I also agree withOnnem, that going a bit further to Montgenevre is also worth it; lunch in Italy, dedicated freeride area, and a day in Serre Chevalier; what`s not to like?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Edit; no it`s rubbish, don`t go there Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Onnem,

Done everything in Aosta in your list.

Embrun, Les Orres nand Crevoux are South Alps resorts which I thought are too scattered, small and difficult to visit collectively. I have been told and found out myself that there are some nice places to ski when there is snow. I did go as far as Risoul/Vars which is Forest Blanche in your list. I have covered the valley from Milky Way to L2A/LDH.

I enjoy visiting and sampling a resort if it is nearby to where I am staying but my effort so far has been restricted to large ones. Like the Italian Dolomites. It has 12 areas on one ski pass and I have covered only 7. I probably will not bother with the remaining 5 unless I happen to be a place near them.
latest report
saikee, have you done the resorts on the Evasion Mont Blanc pass? You could easily do that from one pleasant base - St Gervais is a proper town.

You could also do Areches-Beaufort, Les Contamines and the Espace Diamant from one base, though they are not all on the same pass.
ski holidays
cstreat,

A quiet and small resort can be very rewarding to visit. Switzerland, Austria and Italy also have hundreds of them too. They are equally nice and probably more geared up for foreign visitors in terms of the supporting infrastructure, accommodation, snow condition and scenic attractions than those in Southern Alps.

I think I have seen a fair share of the French after visiting about 31 places. Austria is at is cheaper, cleaner (accommodation) and easier for skiing multiple resorts in a single trip. Like parking for example I have never had to pay for it after visiting some 33 places.
latest report
saikee, There is an Ibis Budget just outside St Jean de Maurienne, I have stayed there for a couple of weekends and driven up to Les Sybelles.

A possible base for a different trip might be Barcelonette.
snow conditions
cstreat wrote:
Edit; no it`s rubbish, don`t go there Toofy Grin

Agree absolutely shoite, overpriced, skied out, overcrowded, actually can we just delete this whole topic! Toofy Grin wink
latest report
saikee,
Maurienne is a lovely area but it is not really the same as Austria or Switzerland if that is what you like best.
Termignon is also fairly convenient for Aussois and Bonneval as well as the resorts you say. The upper Maurienne is particularly attractive but one thing to be aware of if travelling in January is that the valley is fairly steep sided and may be short of sun at that time.
Modane is not the prettiest place either if you want somewhere central.
ski holidays
pam w,

I once had a mobile home (static caravan) in Chamonic for about 8 years. I am used to all the resorts around Geneva. However I haven't tried Espace Diamant. From my motorbike trip around that area in summer I suppose it would be a nice place to ski. Mind you at the time when ran my mobile home in Chamonix Diamant domain did not have half of what it got now.

rjs,

That is a good news as Ibis would suit me well instead of insisting a full week stay.
snow conditions
Look at the Interhome website for self catering places. Many can be booked for 3 days low season so can get a couple of different bases during the week. We did that and skied a different Maurienne resort each day a few years ago. However we found them all small and not much of a challenge and some slow uplift, but very quiet, no crowds - however we are normally 60+ km a day skiers!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy