Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To Rent or to Buy?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are heading to Courcheval in January for our first time skiing.

I have been looking at hiring skis and boots and it is quite pricey - not a particular problem, but I have been looking on Ebay and I have seen lots of skis on there going for a lot less than I will hire them for.

So what should I do - buy or hire?

Also, what length skis should I go for? I am 6ft and 15 stone and my wife is 5ft 7in and 10 stone 12lbs.

Look forward to your thoughts

Simon
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kosciosco, Mrs H and I are 7 weekers we bought boots about week 4 and I've just bought my first pair of skis (off a fellow snowHead).

If I did it all again I'd have bought boots in resort in Week 2, I don't think I would have bought skis any earlier and Mrs H has yet to be persauded to buy skis at all. Rental boots are, on the whole, not very nice.

Can't comment on lengths and so forth of skis, I think most snowHeads would suggest you'd need to try them out. Owning skis isn't a 'zero continued cost' option, you'll need to get them serviced on a 1-2 week basis and a number of carriers will charge for carriage. (I need to ask snowHeads what to do about servicing)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kosciosco, I echo what Ian Hopkinson, says, I am relatively new to skiing and I bought my boots for my 2nd year. Personally I would hire everything in resort and if you let the hire shop know that you wish to purchase some boots, you can ski in a brand new pair everyday until you find the ones you like. I still don't own skis and don't intend to. Good luck! snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Its likely the ones on ebay that are cheap are old straight skis that will definitely hamper your learning plus you'd need bindings remounted for your boot length. Buy boots certainly and skis if you are going to take it seriously.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you love it after your first week, definately buy boots (from a good bootfitter - you should get plenty of recommendations here when the time comes).

Skis are optional but I think a lot of people would say give yourself a few holidays to improve, try lots of different skis to find out what suits then buy if you want.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ok - looks like rental is the best bet.

I am using Freeride (thanks for the advice elsewhere) and they give me two options - a Head Big Easy and a K2 Omni sport. The latter is described as "More technical than the Head Big Easy. For developing learners and heavier skiers. Great ski for the aspiring intermediate."

Someone said that the progression from beginner to Intermediate is quite quick. We have a 3 hour lesson at the MK snowdome and will probably have a couple of additional hour long lessons.

Where will that leave us in terms of competancy and therefore which Ski is the best?

Oh and btw I am 6ft and 15 stone - does that make me a heavier skier? Be kind please!!!

Thanks

Simon
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kosciosco,

You are quick off the mark but we can see you are very keen. With hire boots make sure the boots are comfortable and not too tight. As an early skier you will probably not be standing in them as well as you might so make sure there are no pressure points and if there are go back and change them. This is quite normal in boots - you only have to look at the boot threads here to see how particular a fit can be. Anyway, don't settle for anything that hurts and try and learn how to adjust those boots for on-moutain modifications. Use good padded socks at this stage, when you know the fit of the boot you can mess around with these later.
For skis, you don't want anything too technical, go for a soft ski. At 15st you are probably beefy so this will bend most skis.
The eveloping learner/heavier skier sounds about right.

If your kit was good, or bad, take note of the model so you can build up a reference of what skis and boots are like. Add it to your database of ski kit knowledge which we all have to build up. Its will give you a perspective for - hopefully- the next time.

Enjoy Courcheval, you have picked a world class ski domain...and if you get out of the valley, very well done but don't force that issue. If you have to, just ride the lift to the top just to see the views, you can always come back the same way down
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks JT, great advice which I will definitely take note of.

Cheers

Simon
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kosciosco,

No problems, one more thing - there is always one more thing in skiing...!!

Take an interest in the bindings on the ski, note what setting they give you. You want a relatively light setting which means you come out of them out pretty easily. At slow speeds this means you might have to take the fall and lose the ski rather than want to keep upright. The bindings are set to react to forces so the ski breaks free rather than the body - usually the knee - taking the hit. Try and understand how the binding will release and that it WILL release when required. You can ask the instructor at MK to demo the job the binding is trying to do.

Not trying to over dramatise this, just that it helps if you know what is trying to be achieved. Mistakes can happen with bindings and I ALWAYS do a binding check when I have new skis on my feet. Even if it is just for piece of mind..!!

Apologises if you know all this...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT, what exactly do you mean by do a binding check? Do you mean physically check they release okay and if so how do you do it? Would be helpful as I've just got new skis.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
conor,

You need good leg muscles to do this.....but I click into the binding and just try to turn the ski out of the binding by digging the tip into the snow.... I do this on both skis. It tells me, one, that the binding will work with my boot - piece of mind - and two, that my legs are in good shape. You might be able to get a friend to kick the skis off but their boots can hurt if they kick the wrong place.

The above check works upto about din 8 for me. Obviously you don't want to injure yourself doing this so start with a lower din if need be....

Or you could try your empty boot and knock it out holding the ski down.... Its just a check for me so I know the boot/binding realtionship works...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kosciosco, very rough guide as to ski length (rented or bought) for the average skier doing average stuff on carver shape skis. Up to your eyebrows. A centimetre or 2 + or - doesn't matter.

Lower DIN setting rough binding check. Standing on flat safe ground on one ski only, use the free foot to backheel the boot in the binding near the toe. You probably can't kick hard enough for a setting much above 6 or so.

Both these tips are very rough guides only - but better than nothing when you are in a rush in a crowded rental place and the guy tries to palm you off with over-the-head monsters.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kosciosco, Hi, I went skiing for the first time last year and frankly for the first 2 weeks it really did not matter what ski I was given as I spent most of my time on my backside ( in fact I still do). Hence the advice here about bindings - very very important. I actually disagree about the length of the skis as for your first few days, (and until you stop snowploughing) it will make absolutely no difference if they are 160 or 200 ( a bit of an exaggeration - but you will hear the same from your instructor) . However I did buy my own boots - I had 'outgrown' them after about 3 1/2 weeks I was told , - no problem as I sold them on .

Whatever you do I would suggest that you should realise that you are a beginner (debutant for the French ski shop) - I still call myself an Advancing beginner after 5 weeks or so and I try very, very hard and the skiiing is more important than stopping in restaurants and bars. As others have said try and endear the ski shop or even take a local in with you ...

The most important part of your spend will be lessons. Scrimp and hire everything else but do get lessons ... every day for first couple and then every other and privately if you can. Should be good as there are the 2 of you.

JT's advice is what I should have found before I first went skiing !
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kosciosco, I agree that you should definitely rent for the first week. all the advice so far has been good. However I would say, go for the K2 skis, but don't have them longer than chine height. that's plenty for a begiinner, and as you said you're 6'2" your weight isn't really OTT. many shops (and maybe MK - I don't know) will try to give you eye - head length skis, which will definitely slow down your learning curve. Take the skis as short as you can get away with. WC slalom skiers (men) ski on 165cms skis!

have fun - I know you will! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy