Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rocker boards (confessions of an accidental snowboarder)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Posted this elsewhwere but thought it was worth pasting here

So I recently had cause to revert to snowboarding as injury prevented skiing and I was going to try to make the most of it. I've done a fair bit of boarding back in the day so I'm not quite a raw convert.

Some observations

- It is easier once you are moving downhill, you can do it in circumstances where you can't walk or ski properly (apart from scooting)
- One footing feels very vulnerable, took me a while to regain confidence off chairlifts etc
- Flats and particularly slow spring snow remain a PITA
- It's impossible to catch an edge on a new fangled rocker board (& believe me I tried)
- It is more than possible to crush the nose and fall over the front (also done a lot)
- Rocker board lacked a bit of oomph compared to trad camber - if I was getting back into it I can see my equipment choices would be potentially more limited these days
- Pow remains completely intuitive
- Faceshots are easier
- You quickly get confidence to drop into sketchy, narrow poo-poo because you know you can pivot within the length of the board
- When you haven't boarded in a while you forget how big a blindspot the heelside is, I spent far more time looking around than I do on skis
- It was fun
- Skiing is easier in all the adminy bits of skiing like flats, lift mazes, setting off, getting up small rises etc. My faff time probably increased 20-30% & I strap in standing.
- Everyone who wants to be an ski instructor should have to do some snowboarding as a second discipline if only to gain an appreciation for movement patterns, vulnerability, sightlines, unnaturalness etc.

So is that a fair take on rocker? Certainly easy to use at perhaps the expense of a bit of edge certainty on polished snow/hardpack. Hard to tell if it was rustiness or a genuine difference in equipment - I used to ride stuff like the Prior MFR which was a proper burly board which would kill it in a lot of circumstances (& back in the day a Ride Timeless).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fatbob, I had a day on a Burton rocker hire board of some sort in Jan. It was a bit softer than my usual board but the rocker didn't seem to hold the board back although I'm unsure it made a massive difference in the pow.

I agree about the Ski Instructors choosing snowboarding as a 2nd discipline. Boarding gives a great reminder of what it's like to be a 'learner', which is perhaps missing with the other disciplines.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rocker... never ridden it on piste, but rode a lot of powder boards which had rocker or were flat. I'm under-impressed in powder... rocker works better for skis than boards for what I think are simple mechanical reasons. The rocker boards I like (Joystick) feel pretty much like none-rockered boards. Some of the others feel too sloppy on the nose. They may help beginners, although I've not seen much evidence of that - a powder beginner will do better on an old Fish than (insert name of briefly fashionable rocker board here). Skis are different - really bad skiers can survive powder on rockered skis.

I can't comment on the "catch and edge" thing - I'm not sure how you do that, but I don't. It sounds reasonable.

"Easier to use" would be a good thing I suppose, but if you mean "easier to use" like a consumer mountain bike versus my track bike... well the consumer thing isn't easier to use for high-performance, if you see what I mean.

Overall I think rocker came and went; the manufacturers are over it, and the kids who thought it'd make them rippers know they were burned again.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob wrote:

- Everyone who wants to be an ski instructor should have to do some snowboarding as a second discipline if only to gain an appreciation for movement patterns, vulnerability, sightlines, unnaturalness etc.

Massive +1 from me.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got a rocker board, basically cause I was looking for a bendy board I could drive easily in a shed and it was the one that appealed the most. I disagree wholeheartedly about it being difficult to catch an edge, when in a straight line in particular it's far keener to throw me head first into a snowdrift than my combo wotsit hybrid mountain one. Standard relative beginner disclaimer applies.

I'm glad you noticed the one footing getting off lifts thing feeling very vulnerable, I don't think skiers ever get how lucky they are with lifts.

And another +1 for instructors needing to have a go on a board.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi there, the rocker debate. Well I ride a rocker libteck and have done so for a few years. The last camber board was a burton T6 about as camber as you can get and went to a skate banana 4 years ago and now ride a banana magic. I ride a lot and to a pretty good standard after 8 winter seasons in Meribel (first put a board on my feet 18 years ago) I'm also pretty hard on my kit so I've had a few boards. For me camber means I can go a few cm shorter - for pow and park. I have the wavy edges and think they work very well and see no reason not to have them on any board. The only disadvantage I have noticed is that on the bigger kickers with rotation I was out on the landings more (just showing up my bad technique) but for every other facet of riding I think they [rocker boards] are just better or rather suit my riding style better. I regularly hike up, hit steep stuff then on the way back to the lifts go through the park - kickers and rails - on the same 157cm board (I'm 6ft and 12 stone).
To sum up; more versatile.
Sorry a bit more than the 2p I had intended.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy