Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in May

Poster: A snowHead
What a fantastic season for snow Very Happy

What are the options for skiing on through the end of the season and make the most of the snow that has fallen?
I would like to go away in May.
Anybody got any top tips, been anywhere good at this time of year or further on in to the summer?

Currently thinking Hintertux, would welcome further suggestions of areas that will be open at this time of year.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tignes would be another defo, its snowing at the moment and I live at 1350 meters !! are resort is staying open until the 28th and I'm sure Tignes is open until the 8th or 16th May, plenty of powder to play in up top ! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tignes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Closes on the 12th may re-opens on july 6th wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have skied in Geilo Norway in May and the snow was good. It isn't the same quality as skiing in the Alps but the snow is good a that time of the year. Oh and a warning Norway is quite expensive for food and drink!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think there is a bit more variety of runs at Hintertux than Tignes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hintertux is a sound call. Stubai worth a look too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stubai - just been having a look.
Looks interesting, anybody been in May - or planning a trip?

I have tried Hintertux so have an idea about the area, but not in May - but am tempted to try somewhere new.
Maybe it is just because the Stubai tourist board web site was better, snowpark looks good.

J9 - agree with you on Norway prices Shocked - then again French alps are not far behind.....

Think if I do go out it will be back end of May - so think that rules out Tignes unfortunatley, unless they squeeze a couple of extra weeks out of the season.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In Tux at the moment. Conditions are excellent, and it just dumped overnight!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hintertux is guaranteed. Val Thorens is open until May 8th I think.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stubai will be very good this May (open 'til June, but the summer skiing (not sure what the difference is, opening hours?) starts immediately). I haven't been out here at that time before, but will continue skiing there until the kayaking becomes better than the skiing. Check out the Tirol/Innsbruck Area Snow Report thread for recent pictures.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 20-04-13 20:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I think there is a bit more variety of runs at Hintertux than Tignes

Oh no there isn't!

The whole of the Espace Killy (or at least 90% of it) will still be open in May. Very Happy

And, as an alternative, Val Thorens will be open until 12th May.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Tignes glacier is open until 12th of May then reopens 29th June according Tignesnet - with the amount of snow around suspect it will be good skiing right up to this date - any chance they will stay open longer if there is snow - or do they shut down anyway?

Tux is favourite at the moment - stay at hotel next to the lift up

Stubai glacier seems isolated and hotels situated further down the valley according to what I have read - anybody know different?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dek, We are off to Stubai next weekend for the following week. It is the last week of the winter season - but the summer season starts the next day! Accomodation is mainly further down the valley at Neustift, but these is a regular ski bus. There are one or two hotels up by the lift, but not much else.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
a look at Stubai for you . .

http://www.stubaier-gletscher.com/en/stubai-live/webcam
ski holidays
northantsred, Thanks for that.

The season is definatley not over - only shrinking with limited locations left, that require a bit of effort to get to.

Suppose Tux vs. Stubai - maybe deciding factor is whether or not the Hoenhaus is still open at Tux Toofy Grin

I am not going anywhere until the middle or end of May so my options are further limited, but the good thing is there are options.
latest report
Dek, what kind of prices are you getting for the hotel in Tux??
ski holidays
Tignes isnt really open in June... the first three weeks of the Summer season is now a "limited" glacier opening.. In Tignes speak that means one lifty standing at one open lift that services a green run so they dont have to refund lift passes for anyone who has already booked... the main glacier is shut and if you fancy the path down behind the restaraunt down to the vanoise chair my money is on that being open.
latest report
kitenski, havent been quoted anything yet - there are offers at both Tux and Stubai - but for the start of May and then June, there seems to be a "special offer" gap at the back end of May. As is with special events - they seem to be trying to attrac people start of May.
ski holidays
Dek: For early May, the choice between Stubai/Hintertux and Tignes/Espace Killy would come down to whichever you prefer from:

- Austrian glacier: Commute from nearby village; lug skis to lifts; spend 20 mins getting up to the snowline; ski 50 or 60km piste (if not less).
- Tignes: Walk out of accomodation; skis on more or less at the door; ski 200km of piste (if not more).

Hmmmm.....Choices, choices Puzzled

EDIT: Embarassed Just seen that you're on about going mid to end of May. Er, best scrub Tignes!
snow report
mountainaddict, The OP doesn't want to go at the start of May, they want to go at the end.

All the times that I have been to Hintertux were last week of May (UK half term week), we stayed slightly down the valley and the hotel would normally have been closed that week but opened up for us since the group filled every room, the hotels in Tux itself all seemed open though.
latest report
mountainaddict, cheers. Unfortunatley in Angola working for a few weeks yet. But as you say - the season is not yet over there are still places where good skiing is to be had..

Doh!!! UK half term. Didnt take that in to consideration. Looks like week 3 of May will need to be the target date.

Tux,Tux, Hintertux etc............... wink
snow report
rjs wrote:
last week of May (UK half term week)

[Scottish pedant mode]That'll be just an England thing, not a UK one. There's no half-term week in Scotland in May.[/Scottish pedant mode] Sad

However, we may get the chance to ski home mountains on both May holiday long weekends. wink
ski holidays
Dek, I wouldn't worry about half term, the place was still very quiet that week.
snow conditions
Dek, may be slightly busier as the third full week of May (May 18th to 25th) is the German and Austrian schools Half Term as well. This will mean lots of race clubs most likely.

If you mean the week beginning May 11th, then the Saturday and sunday will be busier, but monday through to Friday should be very quiet and empty as it is the only week in May where we have to work for 5 days! Shocked Laughing

mountainaddict, both base stations in Stubai and Hintertux have lockers for your skis at nominal cost as well as free shuttle buses and there are hotels (although only one at Stubai) as well. With a choice of uplift to the skiing areas it is nowhere near as long as you imply and queues are unknown. Once up at the top, you have a wider choice of pistes spread over a much bigger area. No contest for me having skied all the French and Austrian glacier resorts - Austria every time! Way better value for money in every sense. BTW my first language is French as my father was French, I have a degree from a French university and I spent the first 25+ years of my skiing life in primarily in France, so I am most definitely not anti France, just anti rip-offs! wink
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, that is something to consider, and I am with you 100% having skied both France and Austria this year, I can concur that as a generalisation it is roughly 50% cheaper but 100% more welcoming in Austria!

Dek, one option skiing Stubai would be to stay in Innsbruck.
snow report
Currently having a beer in the Eisgrat bar at Stubai and can confirm there's still excellent snow in the glacier ski area
snow report
geoffers, Twisted Evil Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geoffers, Good stuff - we'll be there by Sunday Very Happy
latest report
Quote:
With a choice of uplift to the skiing areas it is nowhere near as long as you imply
.....I'm sure I measured Hintertux base to Tuxer Fernerhaus as about 20 mins Puzzled - but will happily re-time it when next I visit. I was also fairly sure that it's a similar sort of time at Kaprun and not much less at Stubai - both of which require at least two gondolas. Then there's the road drives (from resort) at Kaunertal and Soelden. I can't remember for Pitztal...though I have hazy recollections of a funicular.

By the way, I'm not arguing on amount of early or late season terrain, value for money or ambience - after skiing about 170 resorts in 15 countries (including about 30 visits to Austria), Austria happens to be my favourite holiday destination in the world. All I was suggesting is that, despite the merits of Austrian glaciers, where I have spent many a happy holiday:

a. The access from Val Claret to the Grande Motte glacier at Tignes is undeniably convenient.
b. If it was an early-May choice of Austrian glacier vs Espace Killy (for instance there's about 200km of runs open right now), it would be EK every time for me. But that is, of course, only my opinion.
latest report
Can anyone recommend a cheap airline that flies to Innsbruck over the summer? Would love to get to Hintertux again but don't fancy the 3 hour train ride from Munich!
snow report
russ_e, Easyjet go a couple of times a week.
snow report
Thanks, looks about £200 plus board bag!
latest report
Quote:

.....I'm sure I measured Hintertux base to Tuxer Fernerhaus as about 20 mins - but will happily re-time it when next I visit. I was also fairly sure that it's a similar sort of time at Kaprun and not much less at Stubai - both of which require at least two gondolas.

I can't comment on the others, but at Stubai, the Eisgrat gondola base - top (no need to change gondola in the middle, it goes all the way around) is probably around 12 minutes, 15 tops. Granted that's not all the way to the top of the ski area, but you can ski from there.

Dusting of snow on the peaks around Innsbruck today when I finished work, clouds have drawn in again now. Hopefully Stubai got a top up too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy