Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are All Australian Lift Tickets Extortionately Priced?

Poster: A snowHead
....Or is it just Thredbo as it has (allegedly) the country's biggest vertical? A bargain at 110 Aussie dollars (about 70 quid Shocked) a day.

And to think, people go mad at £30 for Cairngorm rolling eyes!!

If it's like that at all Australian areas, how on earth do people afford it? Are they all on double UK wages Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
110 aussie dollars is 70£? Strewth!

was 2.5 ASD to the £ when I was there about 10 years ago
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stone the crows, Bruce
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Having guided a bunch of Aussie tourists in Meribel this last season and had a chat about this very subject I believe it is like that at all Australian areas. They also told me that I'd just got them to do more skiing in a day in Courchevel/Meribel than they would do in a week at Thredbo and were completely knackered. They were over for a fortnight with a week in Meribel and a week in Val d'I so I guess they'd used the lift pass savings to pay for the flight.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never skied in Oz...
Though my sister lives there and reckons its not bad.

Apparently the high price of lift pass is due to -

1. Current exchange rates. (used to be 2.5 AUS back in 2001).
2. Snowmaking on such large scale / marginal climate costs mega bucks.
3. Captive domestic market (NZ is 3 hr flight away from Sydney)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In the 20 odd years we have been going to Aus, the rate has been between 2 and 3 to the pound and was a very affordable destination. Like most currencies the Aus Dollar has appreciated against the pound but has also been helped by their strong mineral wealth based economy. Big bucks to be earned in the open cast mines in WA and Northern Queensland.

When my wife went home last summer she was stunned at the cost of basic grocery items such as bread and coffee in the major supermarkets.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
When my wife went home last summer....
I take it 'home' is Australia - though there was no clue in your post Puzzled

Or, as the £ has depreciated badly against just about every currency, it could have been Thailand wink.....

So just how expensive are we talking for stuff like a basic hotel, a meal out or a beer? I was looking at Australia in the context of places on my bucket list....ie somewhere to ski eventually.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lots and lots of Aussies come to Queenstown and they all say price is one of main reasons. Even with the 3 hr flight to pay for it is cheaper for them and with a 500km drive from Sydney the 3 hr flight is not a problem. Another high cost is accommodation at the Aussie resorts. As the do not have a big summer season they have to male money over a short winter season and hence high prices.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountainaddict wrote:

So just how expensive are we talking for stuff like a basic hotel, a meal out or a beer? I was looking at Australia in the context of places on my bucket list....ie somewhere to ski eventually.

Don't bother- Chile, Argentina and NZ are all better. I've even met aussies in Canada who've never skied domestically.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mountainaddict, Aus is expensive now because of the rate of the Dollar, similar to France/ Austria /Switzerland I guess. I would however not cross it off your bucket list, the rate will change in the future. When I first started visiting it was a cheap place to eat out and do things, had some great visits to the Whitsundays. I am sure that it will turn round again. I will say though that I have never skied there, we tend not to get out of Queensland.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Add to this the park entry fee - most (all?) are in national parks and there's a daily entry fee of $30-40 per vehicle, or potentially $15 for people who take public transport. Ski hire and accommodation is also pretty expensive.

I think though that people tend to do shorter weekend breaks as it's pretty easy from Melb/Sydney to drive Friday night, ski sat and sun and drive home. And perhaps people buy skis more - because there's no carriage costs? Dunno about this last point.

I'm an Australian who only started skiing in the UK so have never skied there, but have done a bit of research in the event I end up back there for a few years. Seems like the most sensible option for not breaking the budget will be two weeks in Japan during AU summer with the occasional weekend trip in AU winter from Melbourne to the Victorian resorts if the conditions are good.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, Australia is very expensive, and not just the skiing. To put it into context, I don't get sticker-shock in Zurich!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Lots and lots of Aussies come to Queenstown and they all say price is one of main reasons.

Yes, my Oz (Melbourne) based nephew says it's cheaper to go to NZ.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Two negatives about NZ... it is not possible to do a weekend there from Melbourne and, apart from a few club fields, the accomm is off-mountain.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A U S T R I A L I A not A U S T R I A it's confusing dudes Laughing
ski holidays
Been to WA (Perth) three times, once back in the days of 2.5 dollars to the £, bit less the second time, last time we went, just short of 2 years ago, about 1.5 to the £. Makes a pint of beer more expensive than a French ski resort!!!

No longer a good value place to go, as Gilberts Fridge, says, the mining has boosted the economy to the point where basic living costs seem to be extortionate now. I seem to recall almost £3 for a loaf of bread in a supermarket? Mega bucks...
ski holidays
Skiing in Australia has always been expensive for Australians, let alone the exchange rate. The shortest runs and the highest lift pass costs in the world. However, all the resorts are driving distance from Melbourne & Sydney (3 - 5 hour drive), and weekend or day sking is easy. Skiing in gum trees and through gullies in a jumper rather than artic thermals is something you can't do elsewhere.

Season pass is the way to go - hero pass for Hotham & Falls Creek (both resorts on the one pass) gives unlimited 2013 season skiing for $699 (athough deal closed on 8 October) and similar deals at some of the other resorts.

The exchange rate now works for us, so Europe, Japan & Nth America are now realistic options during our summer, so lookout, we are heading north in a month or so!! Am I glad the A$10 coffee in London is a thing of the past....
snow report
ianmcn
Quote:
Lookout, we are heading north in a month or so...
Which areas should be sounding an air raid warning then wink ? Have a good time, wherever you go!
snow report
ianmcn wrote:
Skiing in gum trees and through gullies in a jumper rather than artic thermals is something you can't do elsewhere.

Not sure how much skiing you have done in Australia, because that is a cliche, and it also happens to be quite misleading. The runs here are very short compared to the length of the ride back up. Even on just a -2 or -3C day, with a bit of windchill, you will get cold. Very cold. It comes from not generating much heat on the way down, and then losing it, and more, on the way up.
snow report
ulmerhutte wrote:
ianmcn wrote:
Skiing in gum trees and through gullies in a jumper rather than artic thermals is something you can't do elsewhere.

Not sure how much skiing you have done in Australia, because that is a cliche, and it also happens to be quite misleading. The runs here are very short compared to the length of the ride back up. Even on just a -2 or -3C day, with a bit of windchill, you will get cold. Very cold. It comes from not generating much heat on the way down, and then losing it, and more, on the way up.
Tempertures are rarely below -3 during the day, and whilst you can get cold if also wet, generally speaking you do not need gear to cope with the exteme cold and exposed runs of the northern hemisphere. You do need waterproof & windproof clothing, because the windchill can be cold on an exposed chair. Facemasks and frostbite are not issues here...
ski holidays
Historically I've found them to all have very similar pricing between resorts. The last time I skiied in Australia was at Mt Buller in 2005, and IIRC it was AUD85 for a one day adult lift pass. Given the hideous rate of inflation Australia has experienced since I left in 2006, AUD115/day would not surprise me in the least...
snow conditions
In Australia it's not uncommon to see people skiing in September wearing shorts and t-shirts. Some people even ski topless to get attention rolling eyes

If staying on-snow isn't a must and you can share the accom with strangers, staying off-mountain with organised snow tours can save you a bucket!

As a season holder -- no year pass holder -- at Thredbo I'll be able to to a week trip for only about $700, all inclusive (Travel, accommodation, food, national park fee) except lift pass that I've already paid for for $699 which also gives me unlimited access to all facilities at Thredbo all year round including scenic chairlift, swimming pool, spa, bobsled, tennis court and golf course.

Perisher, Thredbo, Hotham and Falls season passes are $699 and Buller is $799, although these prices were before the end of last season. Current price are about $1100 - $1300.

It's not too bad if you know exactly which resort you're going next season and buy the season pass early when they're on sale.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 19-04-13 17:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I've only done a bit of research on this but can barely find accommodation for less than $100 a night. Would love to know how you managed to do $700 for travel/accom/food/park entry! Smile
ski holidays
Snow bus operator is the way to go. I don't supposed I can put their names here, but there are two of them that operate out of Sydney. One do Thredbo/Perisher only. The other is bigger and does snow trips around the globe. I am with the latter. Google "snow coach packages from sydney" and you can't miss it -- also look in the Ads box, they usually come up there too.

Their 6-day trip is $569 which includes the following:
- Return coach from Sydney
- Six nights lodged style accommodation in East Jindabyne with daily transfer to Thredbo.
- Six breakfasts
- Two dinners

I don't eat much while on the trip. I don't usually come down the slop to eat lunch because I don't feel hungry. As for dinner, I just grab something easy for the other nights not provided with dinners.
I don't need gears because I already have one.
I don't need lift pass because I already have season pass.

Last year I did a two-week trip in September. I was very lucky as it approached the end of season. They gave me free upgrade to stay on-snow at Friday Flat without any extra cost. They gave me 1 free night stay between two trips because trips start Monday and end Sunday -- Sunday night gap was free. Even better that I got along well with the lady who looked after the hotel and she gave me dinners for all nights. She also let me stay alone on my last 7 nights while putting other people who came later in other rooms. So my 13-nights stay was like this: first 3 night sharing with two other guys; next 3 nights sharing with another guy; last 7 nights staying by myself till the end of the trip.

Without cost of gear and lift pass I paid $569x2 = $1138 to the tour operator plus a bit for my foods and drinks when hanging out with people on the trip.
snow report
Clearly, the only correct answer to "WHY?" Is I live in Australia....

glad that would be bold faced for me!
ski holidays
Hey driz

They're running a very good snow deal on scoopon.com.au now. You can buy two 3-day trip and make it 6-day. They give you discount and free ski/board hire too.

Me and my friends have made booking for 3 trips already. Should be fun this year.

Check it out.
snow report
[quote="mountainaddict"]
Quote:

I agree with Fatbob. If your going to spend the money going that far just go to NZ instead. It will prob be cheaper overall and the skiing is a lot better - proper mountains rather than hills.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy