Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Another shedfull of snow overnight snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I should point out that another two shed loads of snow any time soon will take you to the cowshed levels and beyond after which you will have to hope for fine weather so the avalanche bombers can do their work
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lots of snow here, but our friends who arrived a day before us and were skiing today report that so much snow on pistes resulted in clumpy conditions and not easy skiing. Poor visibility in the morning didn't help. But better conditions expected tomorrow before yet more snow tomorrow night
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snow-forecast.com

free 9 day forecast until the 10th February using the following -

User Name: facebook-snow
Password: naklin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Free all the time here, seems pretty good too:

http://www.yr.no/place/Switzerland/Bern/Wengen~2658020/long.html
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I hope it dumps down like this when I go! Arriving next week Sat! Cant wait!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
High winds (gusting 80k/hr) closed Maannlichen cable car all day. First also closed. Only runs available were KS to Brandegg and Grund, Arven down to Brandegg and Grund, Honnegg opened in afternoon as did Arven lift. Grund to Holstein Middlestation was also open, as was the home run back to Wengen from KS. Everything else closed all day. But the runs that were open were in fantastic condition and the light was good.
A great day
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The wind is meant to drop with snow forecasted tonight...??
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Had a text from a mate in the village - best place today was Murren where the lower lifts were open.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chris Brookes, yes forecast is for heavy snowfall tonight...But...light snow was forecast for all day today and "not a flake did fall". (Except for wind- blown snow, of which there was a surfeit!!
Very Happy snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Currently I'm looking at a forecast for the area which suggests moderate snow tonight perhaps as much as 15cm maybe even 20cm at the outside then light snow until the weekend followed by clear skies and cold weather well into next week
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It snowing !!

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hmm snow is coming down a little harder than I expected may have to upgrade from shed to cowshed by morning currently looks like about 20cm of Fresh snow outside the DHO club room

This morning there was 55cm in Wengen with 85cm on the Nursery slopes 135cm at Kl Scheidegg and 30 cm in Lauterbrunnen will see what morning brings

Just had a look at Kl Schiedegg and I guess theres a bit of snow clearing to be done in the morning as the platform looks to be under a good sized snow drift
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
30cm new snow at KS/Mannlichen this morning. Well into cowshed territory.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Aspen, above Grumbleweed, this morning.

latest report
Interestingly the snow reports are saying that there was only an extra 10cm of new stuff, but I guess if there was some wind blowing it may be that the details are inaccurate, looking at the pictures I'd have said more than 10cm but less than 30cm still it's all good.

Looks like there will be the possibility of a few snow showers today with heavier snow overnight (though probably not as much as last night) with similar conditions tomorrow, with even less overnight, then currently it looks like cold clear weather until at least Wednesday next week
snow report
Me again with another completely stupid couple of questions. Is it possible to buy half day passes at the resort? Both my outbound and return train journeys are timed so that I get 1 full day and 2 half days on the mountain. My own fault for being tight with time off work really Wink

Second thick question... is there a beginners area I can use at Wengen for an hour or so on the first day without buying a lift pass? Got a new board and boots and it's going to take a little while to get used to! Obviously I'd prefer not to pay for the privilege of doing so at a higher altitude Wink
snow report
call me dave, yes it is but you may be better off buying a 3 day pass 1/2 day Wengen area 48CHF, Full Day, 62CHF 2 days 112 CHF 3 Days 165 CHF theres next to nothing in it, you could pay for the Nursery slope lift separately but quite honestly its likely to cost you more than the difference between a half and a full day pass if you use it more than a few times I think from memory half day passes cover you in the morning till maybe 2pm and from about 12pm till the lifts shut but I could be wrong

Nursery slopes are next to the Ice Rink in the centre of Wengen, you will want the slightly steeper area rather than the flat area so just walk between central sport (on the high street) and the ice rink building and you will find the beginner area with no problems
latest report
D G Orf, thank you. One full day plus a half day adds up to the same as 2 full days so I think I'll just do that. The first day I'll see what else I can do instead. Having just cocked up on my train ticket booking and got the wrong day I think I'm going to have to sacrifice the first half day to make up for the cost of a new ticket Wink
latest report
call me dave, you can't buy a half day pass for a morning. Half day passes are just normal 1 day passes, but you're not allowed to buy one at the lower price until 12 midday.
ski holidays
Well there you go, I said I wasn't sure, normally I've been buying 15 day, 30 day or season passes Embarassed
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:
Well there you go, I said I wasn't sure, normally I've been buying 15 day, 30 day or season passes Embarassed

Me too. Had to buy a half day pass a while back when I left my wallet (containing pass) in the Tanne bar one night Embarassed
snow conditions
Snow forecasted for SUNDAY,MONDAY and a little TUESDAY....hmmmmm
latest report
As I said earlier heavier snow tonight Sad

Why the sad face you ask ? Because I'm stuck at my office desk with no chance of getting out there this season Crying or Very sad
snow report
D G Orf wrote:
As I said earlier heavier snow tonight Sad

Why the sad face you ask ? Because I'm stuck at my office desk with no chance of getting out there this season Crying or Very sad

next year..David (make it happen)
snow conditions
Looking out from Alpenrose at breakfast. What is the next level after cowshed. 10cm overnight reported on Jungfrau.ch site and the snow is still coming down thickly.
snow conditions
Brian T, If there is more than 1.2m of snow in the garden of the Alpenrose then it's misery, because at that point everything shuts whilst you wait for avalanches
snow report
Chris Brookes wrote:

(make it happen)

Does David work for a financial institution ? - or am I reading far too much into it Laughing

With all this talk of cowsheds and various outbuildings... when do we start getting in to the realms of records ?
I'm guesing we are no-where near yet ? so what has been the recorded levels of snow on those record years, have they occured recently in the BO region ?

One final Q Embarassed .... when does the level(depth) of snow reach a point where even a week of high(ish) temps (maybe +5 or +10 even ?) will not be enough to completely melt it at resort level ?

I'm new to the Winter holiday scene so was just wondering if the snow, at say Wengen levels, occasionally completely melts mid season .....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gamer2471, we are already at the stage where a week of high temps will make little difference, only large amounts of rain combined with warm temps will shift the snow currently there in a week and that is not going to happen in the immediate future, if anything forecasts indicate colder temps well into next week.

As for record snowfall I can't tell you what the records are for the area however my mother and father started going in the 1950's and they could recall a year when the snow was up to the eves of single story buildings along the high street and there was a single passageway 3 to 4 feet wide cut up the middle of the high street with the surrounding snow above my fathers head (he was 6ft 4inches tall)

Most recently I guess would have been about 1.5m at Wengen levels, you really don't want to get this sort of depth as it pretty well shuts everything down, a cornice builds along the front edge of the ridge that runs from Mannlichen - Tschuggen - Lauberhorn and until it breaks off either naturally or via explosives everything pretty much shuts down as avalanches from this ridge line can and have hit both the village and the railway track, though fortunately only rarely with fatal consequences.

And no sadly I'm self employed and work is not good right now
ski holidays
Yes, there was about 1.5 metres in 1999. And as David says, you really don't want this much snow. I was in Wengen in Feb 1999, it wasn't pretty. Half the village out of bounds, enforced by the army, Mannlichenbahn hit by avalanche and damaged, Cafe Oberland demolished by avalanche. No lifts, no trains. We were eventually evacuated.
ski holidays
Thankyou David and Mike for the info... most interesting !
snow report
Part of the problem in 99 was that not only was there a lot of snow but there was no clear weather between snowfalls to get the helicopters up dropping charges, as a result so much snow built up that the insurers wouldn't allow the avalanches to be set off deliberately for fear of huge claims, it's another reason why they moved the bottom station of the Mannlichen cable car to its current location, it was originally built in the old location for good access from the Hotels (in particular the Park) on that side of the village, however after its refit in I think maybe 97 or 98 the insurers had to pay out a big sum, they said they would not re insure it at its old location due to the risk, but they would agree for the payout to go towards a brand new bottom station Further away from the bottom of the slope which is how we got the cablecar station on the Nursery Slopes.

Sadly when Cafe Oberland was hit by the avalanche it killed the owner and his wife, oddly they had only the previous evening called friends of mine to make sure none of their cattle were in nearby barns because they knew an avalanche would come down soon, normally when that occured they would then take a matress down to the basement of the restaurant and sleep there, but that night they stayed upstairs, doubly tragic as another friend of mine in the local search and rescue group said that the restaurant itself and the basement were completely undamaged with not even a glass broken Sad Many a person enjoyed an afternoon drink at the end of the day or a nice lunch in the sun at Cafe Oberland watching the skiers go buy on their way into Wengen myself being one of them Crying or Very sad
snow report
I had friends who visited Grindelwald just after the 1999 storm. Roads an trains from Interlaken were closed, so they ended up flying in on the same helicopters evacuating people. Sadly there was damage and even deaths. The new base of the Maennlichenbahn was moved down into town to make it less vulnerable after that. But then they had a great time since there were very few people in there and the snow was great!

Plan to come oer from the states in Early March, hope the snow holds. Last year we had perfect weather, fresh snow when we got there and a refresher a few days later. arm and sunny the rest of the time. It may be too much to ask for that two years in a row.
snow conditions
Today we had fairly constant snow at Maanlichen and KS, but lower down conditions were perfect. The run to Brandegg and then Grund were a dream with 2 or 3 inches of powder on well pisted slopes. More snow forecast for tonight. My friend. Gavin suggests escalating snow volume terminology to "barnfull" but where we go after that I'm not sure Very Happy
snow report
Silly amounts of snow on the ice rink.

Photo from Wengen Tourismus.
snow conditions
Blue sky day here in Wengen for our final day skiing before heading home tomorrow. Fantastic conditions everywhere and considering today was Sunday not too crowded. Light snow forecast for the rest of the week so this was an ideal ending for us. Role on Easter!
snow report
Really impressed by the new lift at Wixi. Side loading was interesting but seemed very efficient.
snow report
An excellent weather day here in Murren with great snow condiitions.

Can't believe how quiet it is here and on the slopes with no Q's

snow report
ok, i've looked and looked, but not found the answer given the massive size of this thread......

I'm going to Interlaken for a weekend, from the 23rd. What do the snowheads in the know suggest i do on the saturday and sunday? I'll be skiing with my daughters, all happy skiing anything (within reason). Am i better going to Grindlewald or should I aim for Wegen or Lauberhorn? The train seems to be the way to go, or should we take the bus? Also, any sneaky rail and lift pass deals available?
ski holidays
coddlesangers, not sure about any deals, if you get good weather I'd say maybe take one day and go up to Piz Gloria on the Murren side and the other day you could go up to Mannlichen changing at Wengen and ski from Mannlichen to Kleine Schiedegg , go all the way down to Grund then take train back up to Kl Scheidegg before Skiing down to the Wixi chairlift, up the Lauberhorn, down the racetrack to Innerwengen and then back to Wengen, depending on your speed repeat runs as desired.

In poor visibility I'd stick with the runs from Kl Scheidegg towards Grund through the trees (stop for apple fritters or other food input at Brandegg) or From Wengeneralp down, both these areas are easy skiing but more importantly have more trees giving better piste visibility

If your happy skiing Black Runs there's Oh God and Black Rock from Eigergletscher both of which are nice in sunny weather with good snow but unpleasant in poor or icy conditions

Be aware that the Lauberhorn can get very busy in good conditions, it's mainly south facing and attracts a lot of people who just like to go up the Wixi chairlift then back to the Wixi over and over again, if you want to try the race track and the conditions are nice lunchtime is the best time to give it a go when everyone is sitting out getting some sun and drinking their Beer

If the weather should be dreadful e.g High winds shutting the lifts go back to Interlaken and go to the chocolate show at Cafe Schuh which I think is at 5pm each day, best to check though the cafe does wonderful cakes and chocolates and I have been known to spend far too much money in there Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy