Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Les Arcs 2011 / 2012

Poster: A snowHead
A few photos from today!!

Just as a warm up, a little jump! Jan 25

Ever wondered how they keep the web cams clean. Just so that he can clean the web cam! Jan 25

Now that is a big Cornice!! Jan 25

Into the secret forest! Jan 25

Hope you like them. More on my Les Arcs Winter page.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Arctic Roll, how much does it cost to go up with the pisteurs and have brekkie? It sounds fantastic.

It's free, but the catch is the early start

Discovered this evening that there are 20 places each thursday, bookable through the tourist office and I've missed out, they were all booked on Sunday. Still, a good burns night tonight and soo the extra Zzzzz's are welcome. Next year however.....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mountain Haddock wrote:
Quote:

Arctic Roll, how much does it cost to go up with the pisteurs and have brekkie? It sounds fantastic.

It's free, but the catch is the early start

Discovered this evening that there are 20 places each thursday, bookable through the tourist office and I've missed out, they were all booked on Sunday. Still, a good burns night tonight and soo the extra Zzzzz's are welcome. Next year however.....

7.30am at the bottom of Bois De L'ours I saw advertised? Where do they do first tracks down, Bois De L'ours? Tough old start to the day Skullie Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thefatcontroller, no, they came down Edelweiss as a group (of 29), and having 'passed muster' were then allowed to head back up 'Ours to explore on their own
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arctic Roll, Ah, the thought of Bois at 7.30am was mildly terrifying Skullie Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Does anyone have a link for the "breakfast with pisteurs"?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
friet, http://en.lesarcs.com/first-track
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thnx. And it's free?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Friet,

DamonST wrote:
Sunshine81 wrote:

Just plucked this from an earlier post by Arctic Roll:

Quote:
That morning, the gang got the "fresh tracks" 07:30 Bois de l'Ours breakfast treat with the ski patrol - along with 26 others. (Free! Near 1950! Can you believe it?) After a quality food provision at the top, skied with the patrol back to 1950, then, as Ours was still open for them, they went up and over to 1600 before anyone else was on the mountain ( except the bashers) - and into the bar for an early ahem 'chocolate' break.

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My mistake, should have looked a bit harder. Thnx for info.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mountain Haddock, thefatcontroller, thanks for the information and link. Will have to get chatting to my group to see if they are keen. Only 44 days until we are there... Can we just cut Feb out this year???
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Little Angel

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 27-01-12 21:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
44 days for me too - I agree on Feb?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
- From Arc 1800: Take the Transarc gondola up to the Col de la Chal at 2,600 metres

BAM! Result! Cheers thefatcontroller
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Today was a Blue Sky Powder Day!!!!! Toofy Grin

After getting to the top of the Arpette Chair in Les Arcs we found our first untracked powder field almost at once. What a way to warm up. Very Happy

Then we headed over to La Plagne and spent the day finding various routes down couloirs and open faces with more fresh snow. Finally finishing with a run down the shoulder of the Canadian Couloir and the Petit North Face of the Bellecote in yet more fresh snow. Toofy Grin

Then back to Les Arcs and a few more little stashes of powder before finishing with a final run down beside the waterfall into Arc 1950. Smile

Quite a day. I will try to post a few pics now and more tomorrow on my Les Arcs Winter page, link below. Very Happy

For those coming out this weekend, more snow is forecast and the conditions on and off piste are great so you should have loads of fun!! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Will be on the train tomorrow night and it looks like more snow is due.. Can't wait!! Very Happy
ski holidays
With the weather forecast looking to bring a very cold spell for the end of the month (could very well change) is there anything extra i should pack for super cold days? We've got icebreakers and fleeces we can use for mid layers, is there anything else?
ski holidays
Today the weather proved it is the boss yet again. But despite the overcast sky and poor vis most of the day we were still able to find some good powder and some very challenging skiing. Very Happy

After a quick warm up on the way over to the Arc 2000 bowl, we headed into the back country and found some good powder. After some interesting lines including some very wind and sun affected snow which was quite challenging we made it to the restaurant for lunch. Toofy Grin

After lunch we headed to the Col de la Chal and still managed to get some good powder in the less effected areas on the way down to Nancroix. After a quick stop at the Riders Chalet we made our way to the Altiport for a final drink before heading home. Madeye-Smiley

The snow conditions today were very mixed. The off piste was sometimes soft light powder, other times hard cooked snow turning to breakable crust. Plus everything in between. A challenging day, but good fun. Smile

The pistes are still in very good condition right across the Les Arcs domain and should remain so during the coming days with the little top up predicted tonight and tomorrow. For those coming out this weekend you should have a fun week.

I shall try and post a few pics from today later in the Jan 2012 Album Two on the Les Arcs Winter page. Enjoy!

http://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter?sk=photos
snow conditions
snowcrazy, we must have hit it lucky... great vis this morning & a good run down Lanchettes. Chalky snow & some creamy heavy powder - the photo doesn't quite do it justice:

This afternoon we had 400m of totally untracked powder in a secret location, again a bit heavy but super-creamy & a joy to ski... finished just before the low clouds started rolling in at 3pm.
snow report
offpisteskiing, Not sure I would call the flat or gloomy light we had today great vis. But I do agree the snow was very good in the right place. Very Happy

(What a great view even in the mist! Jan 27)

Maybe we were in the same 'secret location' today as we also had at least 400m of untracked good snow. Twisted Evil

(It's great to be the first! Wow!! Jan 27)

Hope to see you on the mounatin some time this winter. Happy Riding Smile
snow conditions
SNOW ALERTS!!! It is snowing outside again Very Happy down to the valley. You will need to be careful if you are driving out or home today. Roads from resorts all the way down towards Moutiers are not very good right now. Take care! I just heard they are checking you have winter equipment if you wish to drive up the mountain. Full update on Les Arcs Winter page shortly.
snow report
snowcrazy, different secret stash Very Happy

Not sure when I will be back in Les Arcs next but will give you a bell for a beer if I have time..
snow conditions
Update for the weather. Just got back home. It is still very bleak up on the mountain. Poor vis in most places and wet cold rather than just very cold. Do not think I shall go out again unless the sun really does come out and stay, time to watch a movie!! Crying or Very sad

Down in the valley the roads are clear and you should have know problem driving up at least most of the way, but best to still carry chains etc even if you do not use them as they might stop you. Hope those driving out have a good week. Madeye-Smiley

If anyone wants to meet up for a beer or even a ski/snowboard and have the chance of being in the cool pics this week, send me a PM. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Just got home from a late night out and it is still snowing lightly. Should be a good day tomorrow if the vis comes back Very Happy
ski holidays
Went skiing in the afternoon, though still very foggy low down. The higher up I went, the better it got! When I arrived at Col de la Chal, I was amazed how clear it was, so I headed up Varet bubble. Aiguille Rouge was working, much to my surprise, so I asked some lads what it was like at the top, and they replied - pretty good. There was so much room in the cable car, that they were sitting on the floor - a little different from the other day when the queue was over 100 metres!
Sure enough, when we arrived at the top, the visibility was excellent, and about two dozen of us had brilliant snow down to the junction of the two tracks. Most people were turning left, and heading back past Robert Blanc piste to the cable car. I was tempted to have another go, but it was getting late, so I headed back to the woods of Peisey and home.
Aiguille Rouge was definitely the best place to be! When I arrived back in Peisey, the fog was still dense...
ski holidays
For those that have just arrived or who are arriving today. Here is a summary from this morning taken from my Les Arcs Winter page. If you want to read the full version with lift details etc. visit the link below. You do not need to sign into facebook to read this page.

WHAT IT LOOK'S LIKE OUTSIDE: (From ME!)
Looking outside this morning, the cloud and mist are still hanging around the valley and I cannot see the mountain tops. The road outside has a light covering of a few cm's of snow, maybe 5 cm at most. It looks like it may snow again. It is very cold. Higher up the mounatin you can see the peaks between the different layers of cloud, but it is flat light. The main roads in the valley are ok, but the side roads are not so good. The roads up to resort stations are open, but you should take care.

TIPS OF THE DAY: (Pisteurs)
Welcome to ski paradise!
With a cloudy sky and the return of wind from the South East, winter (very cold)has arrived again!! We recommend skiing in forest edges for better visibility and protection from cold and wind. Cover up well, and consider making regular breaks to hydrate yourself with hot drinks. Moderate your speed and the sensation of the cold conditions will be reduced.

100% of the ski area (200 km of marked pistes) is open with "good" conditions everywhere: soft, velvety snow on groomed pistes and the few inches of fresh snow yesterday to freshen up other areas. Ski the blue runs in all these areas and at high altitude to start your stay by warming up carefully.

SKIING IN THE FOREST
If you are bothered by the lack of visibility and prefer tree skiing. Arc 1600: very beautiful red Arolles or blue Mont Blanc pistes. The area of Peisey-Vallandry offers a wide selection of pistes in the forest. Arc 2000 Villaroger section also has a number of pistes passing through the forests. For holders of the package PARADISKI opportunity to ski in the forest of Montchavin / les Coches.

SECURITEE TIP: Be aware of fluorescent banners planted on the slopes, they will
cite passages, gradients, intersections and are there to make you slow down. Please be prudent at all times. Control your speed and remain able to stop a safe distance from others. Always the respect nature!!

Have a nice day Very Happy
ski holidays
What a lovely day it looks! I hobbled up to the Peisey lift this morning to meet people, & conditions looked perfect - sunny & lovely snow. People arriving by car all have either winter tyres or are using snow chains.

Back in appt now for a day of domesticity & curtain making Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Went up a little late today, just as the sun was starting to break through. And I was on the snowboard!!! Very Happy

First time boarding this season and I quickly realised how much I have missed it. Started off easy on my own on the Mont Blanc blue and a little off piste down the side, then over to the Cachette and the same again. Finally up the Clocheret Chair and down the blue and across the off piste to ...join some friends in the Snow Park. The park is still being added too. The mega jumps are just being finished. The wall, rails, red and green jumps and one black are all finished and there is an easy boardercross course as well. Plus the air bag of course (when it is open)! Twisted Evil

The pistes were in great condition after the freshen up from last nights snowfall and the off piste was light powder sometimes untracked yet again. Toofy Grin

After a few jumps in the park (my friends, not me. My knees cannot take that anymore. Doctors orders!!) we headed off piste for the rest of the day. Did some fun routes from above the Clocheret Chair off the Comborciere ridge, over in the national park off Lanchettes, down through the secret forest and finally back to the Funi via the Malgovert forest. Madeye-Smiley

The off piste was in great condition again today and we were able to find plenty of places to make fresh tracks. More snow is forecast for tomorrow. This winter is just getting better and better!!! Hurry up and get out here. Smile

If anyone needs a place to stay I know a few people that are willing to rent there places out. Sizes from 2 person studio to sleeping 12 and one that can take 24 I think. Send me a PM if you need to know more. But be quick as they are filling up fast. Hope that helps!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wot no updates, has it rained and melted it all?
Just to move from page 2
latest report
ricfrench, just for you, here is a copy of what I posted last night on my facebook page. Very Happy

Powder again!! Will it ever end? I hope not!! Jan 30

Today I was back on skis and headed up early as they forecast bad weather for the afternoon. When we arrived at the top of the Arpette decided to take a couloir to the left of the ridge and down to the Pre Esprit chair. Following yesterdays snow the conditions were very good again and we had good powder all the way down as soon as we were on the shel...tered side of the mountain where the wind had not turned the surface to hard crud.

After a fun run to the chair, up one of the slowest and longest chairs in Les Arcs and then on the Varet Gondola. had hoped to go up the Cable Car, but so many people, it meant a wait of at least 30 min so headed over to the top of the Grand Col and a great route through the National Park to Villaroger.

After a little discussion with a local guide who seemed to think we should wait for his large group of 10 skiers to go first. Not a chance!!! We dropped over the back and down the couloir skiing fresh shallow mostly untracked snow all the way to the forest above Villaroger. Even the path out was in good condition, with very few rocks showing.

Lunch on the chair (it was a powder day after all) on the way back up and then by a very different route back down again to above Villaroger with a bit of rock climbing thrown in. More good snow, but also some rocks.

Then through the 'secret forest' and up to the top of Combociere chair. Time for another route, down the Couloir des Chavonnes. Great snow again and an interesting route.

Finally down through Malgovert forest to Arc 1600 and home after a nice drink at the Beguin Hotel. A really fun day with great snow even if the vis was quite bad at times. As we left it had started to snow. Hopefully tomorrow will be another good day.

Photos from yesterday and today will be posted shortly in the Jan 2012 Album Two. Enjoy!!
ski holidays
It has been snowing all night, and is still snowing heavily.I have just measured the new depth outside, and there is 15cm of freshies. The local radio forecasts similar conditions till Friday! We shall see... The new snow is light and erfectly dry. The temperature is -7C at 1750m., and colder higher up. According to the webcams, very little is working higher up, I'll bet everyone is in the forests lower down, in Peisey and above 1600. Perhaps Snowcrazy will tell us where his "secret forest" is? Could it be where the old Mont Blanc chair used to be?
snow conditions
OH & his friend have just phoned in from the top of Grizzly. Not a lot to see apparently, but amazing snow! The bubble is now open to the top, but they have decided to stay over Peisey/1800 side as Arpette was very cold & windy. Still snowing & currently -7 on our balcony.
Curtain making going well Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Is there any chance I could book a week of blue sky from a week on Saturday.
Can't wait.
Feeling like a little excited kid now, less than two weeks to go, is it too early to start packing?
latest report
Going this Saturday. Blue skies forecasted for sun and Mon so far with snow showers when we arrive. Sounds nice start. Quick question, how cold does it feel on full sun days. Is it still cold. Just want 2make sure we pack right amount of thermals and fleeces. How.many layers are people wearing. Thanks. Snowcrazy, need 2meet up to ski that secret forest. Snow looks great there....you can b in my ski video!! snowHead
snow conditions
Jon Ford, If memory serves me right you are staying in 1950. Looking at the forecast for next week think 'ice station zebra' and you are in the ball park. Layers are subjective. We were there mid Janaury, it was very cold, the wife had about 7 layers on and was cold, I had 3 and was ok. Admittedly I have vast layers of muscle that keep me warm Toofy Grin . Simple, pack lots of thin layers, bring a back pack, chuck a few in, put on back, going skiing, if cold put another layer on, reverse if warm. Enjoy.
snow report
Yesterday was another amazing powder day. Stayed around the forest areas of Les Arcs and Peisey Vallandry all day plus a route down to Nancroix past the chapel. Great powder all day. Take a look at the pics that I have posted in Jan 2012 Album Two. Enjoy!!

You do not need to go anywhere else in the world to find deep powder right now. Pistes are all in great condition as well everywhere in the Les Arcs ski domain so anyone coming out is in for a great time.

Todays weather looks great. BUT very cold. Very Happy
ski holidays
Cheers 4weathet update thefatcontroller, and snowcrazy,. Sounds like we are in 4a good.but cold week. Git all the gear (but no idea) so should b able.2 stay warm. Like u thefatcontroller, I too am ripped with muscle so should stay warm. Confused
snow report
For thos who don't have Facebook this video has just been put up on the official Les Arcs feed. Filmed at Arc 1600. Extradionary snow depths. 50 seconds Shocked Shocked

Les Arcs session winter 2012 from David Morille
http://vimeo.com/35890103
snow report
Watched the official 1950 promo vid the other day....think it was linked off here. Looks great. Can't believe this season.
ski holidays
What times do the lifts open near 1950. We ski all day every day so want 2time getting up right so we hit slopes as early as poss. Thanks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy