Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Les Arcs 2011 / 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Here is our group from the top of Aiguille Rouge last week.

From left to right. SteveM, Surfski, Jmyster, FireballXL5, Graham90, Toaster, Masque, MikeB, Dave Rodgers, Alex, ChrisB and Tryfan.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi jakji, I'm off for my first trip to les arcs this weekend and I've heard great things about the following runs:

Aiguille Rouge
Grand Col
Malgovert
Droset (apparently the lifts at the bottom of this run are slow Wink )

There also seems to be a lot of good looking tree lined runs over towards Vallandry and Plan Peisey that are likely to be worth a visit or two Wink

I'll try to post up a little overview of my trip when I'm back to give you a better idea Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
Russeh wrote:
if i can get the time off work, might have to be early april though, what are conditions normally like by then?
In a typical season they are fine. Good snow depths, less chance of bitterly cold weather, piste domain should be fully open and the off-piste could be either spring skiing or full on winter powder depending on the weather. It's a nice time to go, although check your dates don't overlap with Easter when accommodation prices go up a bit and the resort is busier.

Easter fornight starts from the Saturday 31st March cutover into 1st 2 weeks of April. To be avoided if you can.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
From the top of the new Mont Blanc chair lift has a great run. Its a blue run but a very good one through the trees.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thefatcontroller wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Russeh wrote:
if i can get the time off work, might have to be early april though, what are conditions normally like by then?
In a typical season they are fine. Good snow depths, less chance of bitterly cold weather, piste domain should be fully open and the off-piste could be either spring skiing or full on winter powder depending on the weather. It's a nice time to go, although check your dates don't overlap with Easter when accommodation prices go up a bit and the resort is busier.

Easter fornight starts from the Saturday 31st March cutover into 1st 2 weeks of April. To be avoided if you can.

However, none of the French school holiday zones start until easter weekend (7th April) this year, so the first week should be quieter.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

However, none of the French school holiday zones start until easter weekend (7th April) this year, so the first week should be quieter.

And the French do not tradditionally go skiing at Easter, they prefer to go to the beach. However, the Belgiums are another story.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Afer much badgering, I'm going to try to post a semi-regular English version of the local avalanche forecast here:

http://www.whiteroomchalet.com/tarentaise_avalanche_forecast.htm
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, thefatcontroller, johnE,

cheers chaps, so conditions still good just need to be mindful of the holidays Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks! Enjoy!

steven0123 wrote:
Hi jakji, I'm off for my first trip to les arcs this weekend and I've heard great things about the following runs:

Aiguille Rouge
Grand Col
Malgovert
Droset (apparently the lifts at the bottom of this run are slow Wink )

There also seems to be a lot of good looking tree lined runs over towards Vallandry and Plan Peisey that are likely to be worth a visit or two Wink

I'll try to post up a little overview of my trip when I'm back to give you a better idea Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How long is the walk from the funicular 2the super u in BSM. We are prob going 2go on the Saturday we arive as not skiing till Sunday. I know we will have 2pay 2get down there but would like 2xperiance it. But how far 2walk from funnic station 2super u. Plus is there anything else worth seeing in bam while we r there
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry, no update yesterday or today as I was very busy. Will try and post some of the pics I took tomorrow. Problem is with all this snow, it is gettng hard to know which ones to post!! Toofy Grin I like most of them!! Twisted Evil

Jon Ford, if you go on saturday, you can get the free bus round to the main train station and then walk fom there. About 15 min I guess. About 25 min from the funi.

surfski, pleased to hear you had a good week. The snow was amazing.

Although I think it is good of stevomcd, to translate the regional avalanche update, if you want a DAILY Avalanche Update Direct from the mountain in Les Arcs and La Plagne go to the Les Arcs Winter page. Link below. I try to post what the pisteurs send me each morning at about 8.30am. The regional guide is good, but every resort and the local slopes within the resort are very specific and the regional forecast is only a guide to general conditions.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks. Is there anything else in BSM worth going for. Plus is the super u easy 2find.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This may be of interest to some, taken on Thursday(19th) night on our balcony down in PV, shows fall in a couple of hours. Note wine bottle on table for scale.
(Caution: MOV file)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The super U is about 20 minutes from the funicular station in Bourg, though the path through the forest beside the river can be hard to find. Following the road around takes a little longer.
Personally I prefer the Intermarche next door - the food appears slightly better quality.
Lidl is closer to the funicular station.
Remebr to take your own bags, preferably a ruck sack to carry the purchases back. Free plastic bags are not allowed in the Savoie.
If you just want to experience Bourg then go down in the evening on your lift pass. If you want to use the excellent municipal swimming pool then men must wear trunks (I had to buy some from the intersport across the road), not shorts. It appears that women can wear what they like.
What to visit in Bourg: The sports shops are bigger and have more choice. You can buy what you forgot to take with you (such as game boy chargers), there is a good bookshop, stolls along the river are good towards the end of the season - oh and the cheese factory.

John
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Richard_Sideways wrote:
This may be of interest to some, taken on Thursday(19th) night on our balcony down in PV, shows fall in a couple of hours. Note wine bottle on table for scale.
(Caution: MOV file)

Awesome clip!!!
ski holidays
Thanks johne. We just wanted something 2do the Sat we arrive and thought about venturing on the funnic and having wander round. Will pop in2 supermarches 4food 4the week....and wine Thanks 4advice on bags. Can't waIt now. 7days in work. Getting everything sorted each night.
latest report
Richard_Sideways, love the video! How did you do that?
snow report
rob@rar, Android app on the phone called LapseIt ( free or £1.69 (IIRC) for pro edition with more toys, better rez etc)
That clip was one pic every 60 seconds, played back at 24fps - shame the phone ran out of juice about 4am that night - snow went up even more, and view behind was over to the la plagne side, which would've been nice to see as dawn broke.
latest report
Here are a few pics from the last couple of days. More from today when I have got then from the camera. Enjoy! Toofy Grin

Time for a few jumps!!! Very Happy and some very deep powder!!! Very Happy

Jump Number One! Landed it very well. Warming up!!! Jan 21

Jump Number Two. Taking a bit more air. He landed this one as well!!!

Jump Number Threee! Great air! At least 3m high! Jan 21

Ouch! Now that must hurt. Did not quite get the landing right on this one. But he did walk away, just a little sore! Jan 21

Canadian powder in Les Arcs!!!!! Jan 21

Taking some air! Jan 22

Now for the big one!!!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 24-01-12 19:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
As you can see from the photos, the conditions have been amazing during the last few days. Even though the snow is now a few days old, we were still able to find plenty of pockets of untracked powder today. However the wind and sun has done there worst. But the pistes are in excellent condition in most places although on the main runs into statons it is quite hard packed today and a little icy in places. Overall the conditions today were still very good on piste and off piste if you worked out the sun/wind angles then you could still have lots of fun. Toofy Grin

I will post todays pics later. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hi, I am coming to Arc1950, 1st time with wife and two little ones at the beginning of March. Could anyone let me know how accessible it is to get between the villages after shuttle bus finishes and how long it generally takes to get to 1800 from 1950. All pics of the place look great!
ski holidays
What connections r on the TVs in 1950? I've got a portabke hard drive that plays movies. I can connect it to TVs via yellow red and white phonos. Do TVs in 1950 have phono input (or scart) if I need 2get adapter. Sure I've asked this b4 but couldn't find info. Who knows, I may decide 2do some skiing if I can pull myself away from the tv! Blush
snow conditions
Hi Jon Ford, you must have missed this:

Arctic Roll wrote:
pdjs, Both hdmi & scart present plus USB (I just went and looked!): new digital tvs installed for the season, to cope with French digital switchover this past November.

Rather than worry about the TV connections, either get yourself in a bar or hit the piste Wink (unless its for watching videos you made that day hitting a 40ft kicker while texting NehNeh )
latest report
casper123,

you'll be able to get between 2000 and 1950until 11pm. Further afield after shuttle buses means befriending a local or seasonaire with a car, an expensive taxi (cos' they've got to come up from BsM to start with), or a long walk. its 10k from 1600 - 1950 for example.

IIRC there are "paid for" buses that start down in BsM and go to 2000 via 1800, (note: takes forever - we did it once. That was once too often) See: http://www.autocars-martin.com/PDF/T11BSMLesArcs.pdf they look to run a little later.

Time with shuttle buses, because you'll have to change in 1600, can vary, and of course 1800 is quite long, so takes 15 mins from one end to the other - it may be 10mins to 1600, may be 25 depending on where you start. See link here for the bus timetables:

http://en.lesarcs.com/getting-around-les-arcs

But then again ... why would you want to leave the magic of the 2000 valley?! Puzzled

steven0123, ta (You too can also see link above for downloading timetables as per your question today!)

Jon Ford, our DVD/VT machine was plugged in via scart for movie time last week, but there are about 10 or 11 English channels available (BBC, World, ITV, 1,2,3 etc.), as well as 15+ French, 10 German, some Italian, and some Russian, depending on your language skills...

TBH the Arc1950 channel this year is a bit out of date re: restaurants, but does have the meteo, open lifts and runs, and daily events listings, so worth running once round the loop, say during breakfast. I think it is channel 50 or thereabouts. But you will get bored quite quickly!
snow report
thanks Arctic Roll Smile
ski holidays
Great Arctic Roll. Also wondering where is good to take children for nursery slopes. I have read there is magic carpets at 1800 but not sure at 1950 or 2000? Thanks
ski holidays
Quote:

Jon Ford, our DVD/VT machine was plugged in via scart for movie time last week, but there are about 10 or 11 English channels available (BBC, World, ITV, 1,2,3 etc.), as well as 15+ French, 10 German, some Italian, and some Russian, depending on your language skills...

This collection of programmes is very different to the DVB channels available in Arc 1600, There we have all French free to air and subscription cannels. There are no English language channels. But hey I am holiday why would I want to watch TV on holiday?

John
latest report
Thanks all. Don't get me wrong, I'm seriously xcited about skiing and speed ski, but sometimes u just want 2chill it put something on while making tea.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowcrazy, -Great shots - you don't need to go to Japan at the moment, I was in La Plagne last week on Saturday on our last day we were either thigh or waist deep at times - absolutely brilliant. In the morning the Club Med Hotel at Plagne 2100 were we were staying was surrounded by a metre plus of fresh snow the staff had to dig a path with machines and shovels. Been on many trips over the years and have only seen a major dump like this when we were in Fernie 12 years ago, last Tuesday we did some knarly stuff with an ESF guide and also a very interesting colouir in the Roche De Mio area. Did a few off piste tree runs off L'Arpete. On Saturday we skied with a group of friends, but because of the high avalanche risk the higher stuff was closed so we stayed in the trees in the area down to Montalbert .Managed to get across to Les Arcs a couple of of times but still a lot to do over there. We have leave booked first week in March and will now be looking for a deal over in one of the Les Arcs villages. Five weeks to go this week end I am on countdown already Toofy Grin
snow report
Hi to the Les Arcs regulars! I'm out in Peisey for a week from Sunday 29th. Can anyone tell me if photos are needed for 6 day Paradiski passes?

4 days to go - SO EXCITED!!!!

snowcrazy - would you be available to show me some Les Arcs off piste? My wife will be in ski school and I don't like skiing on my own that much (and never off piste alone!). I'll come prepared.
latest report
philhitch,
Quote:

Can anyone tell me if photos are needed for 6 day Paradiski passes?

No photo needed for Les Arc or Paradiski Very Happy
snow conditions
Thanks livetoski
latest report
Has anyone done the early morning with the pisteurs (8.15 up the Grizzly lift, breakfast on the mountain) Puzzled
A group of us are inscrive for tomorrow. There may be a little shingling of fresh as it was snowing lightly as we came down to Peisey this evening snowHead .
latest report
casper123, if you look at the 1950 webcams you'll see there is a magic carpet in the middle of the villlage (used by Spirit for the teenies, allegedly available to all anyhow, and certainly after hours for sledging) There are three garden slopes for the early years just outside the village which again are used by Spirit, which the groups walk to first thing - not sure of their availability to those not signed up tho'!

2000 also has a carpet, although generally used for access to apartments not in the main square.

Mountain Haddock, the time in 1950 ( Boise d'L'Ours lift ) last week was 7:30am - My group had a great time, and found breakfast offered was substantial. Skied back to the bottom with pisteurs, who once happy that they were competent, let them ride back to the top, where they then skied into 1600 prior to any lifts or other skiers being on the mountain. First beers at 9:15 (well, it had almost been two hours... Laughing ) The message is JUST DO IT!!
snow report
Quote:
Mountain Haddock, the time in 1950 ( Boise d'L'Ours lift ) last week was 7:30am - My group had a great time, and found breakfast offered was substantial. Skied back to the bottom with pisteurs, who once happy that they were competent, let them ride back to the top, where they then skied into 1600 prior to any lifts or other skiers being on the mountain. First beers at 9:15 (well, it had almost been two hours... Laughing ) The message is JUST DO IT!!

Do you have to book that? It sounds great.
latest report
Thanks Arctic Roll, checking out webcams
latest report
Arctic Roll, how much does it cost to go up with the pisteurs and have brekkie? It sounds fantastic.
ski holidays
Another fun day in the powder comes to an end!! Toofy Grin

Although the vis today was good and bad (mostly bad Sad ) we still managed to find some good powder and take a few photos. Laughing

The gap in the trees under the new Mont Blanc lift is always a sure bet in bad weather and the snow was not disappointing. Then over to the Bois de l'ours and a break in the clouds for a fun ride down the shoulder, making some turns and measuring the size of the cornice!! At least twice the height of my friend. Not a place to stand to long!! Made him very nervous, haha!! Twisted Evil

Then up to the top of the Aiguille Rouge in a 'white out' Mad and all the way down to Villaroger, but not by the normal route.

Had the chance to take some more pics throughout the day. The powder in the trees and even on the more exposed places was still in good condition. The pistes everywhere we skied were good and with the fresh snow from the last few days, are likely to stay good for the remainder of the week.

Tomorrow they say it will be sunny so should be yet another great powder day! What a season we are having so far. The 'weather gods' are making up for last year very quickly! If you have the chance, get out here as soon as you can. Toofy Grin

Pics from today plus the last few days are in the second Jan 2012 album on the Les Arcs Winter page. Enjoy!. I will try and post a few here if I have time.

philhitch, if you send me a pm or better still go over to my facebook page and message me their we can arrange something. There are a few of us doing easier stuff some of the time next week so anyone is welcome to join the fun, but please get in touch asap as we need to make a plan!! Very Happy

ringingmaster, yes, you need to do so at least a day before as it can become full.
ski holidays
I'd also like to find our cost & how "competent" do you need to be I will happily ski all reds and will have a go at some but not the steep and really icy blacks - would this count as competent ?
Going to Les Arcs 10th March for 1st time Very Happy is this offered all season?
snow conditions
Sunshine81 wrote:
Arctic Roll, how much does it cost to go up with the pisteurs and have brekkie? It sounds fantastic.

Just plucked this from an earlier post by Arctic Roll:

Quote:
That morning, the gang got the "fresh tracks" 07:30 Bois de l'Ours breakfast treat with the ski patrol - along with 26 others. (Free! Near 1950! Can you believe it?) After a quality food provision at the top, skied with the patrol back to 1950, then, as Ours was still open for them, they went up and over to 1600 before anyone else was on the mountain ( except the bashers) - and into the bar for an early ahem 'chocolate' break.

I'm just gutted that we're going to be staying in 1800, and I can't see me getting the mrs anywhere near 1950 for that sort of time (or myself if I'm brutally honest)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy