Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Les Arcs 2011 / 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Boredsurfing, Local forecast doesn't seem to be to heavy but still snow about. Glorious sunny day here. Back in for early lunch as wife has done her back in. Going to take kids out now. Skullie Skullie
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arctic Roll, I noticed Valentinos(?) changed hands, ate there first night, nice pizza's, excellent chips. Anywhere else to be recommended in 1950 with kids?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thefatcontroller, the pancake place would be fun for your kids.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thefatcontroller, interesting - everyone else says avoid! Maybe we'll give it a look tonight.
Seems to be a mother / daughter combo, while dad runs the equivalent in Tignes. Left the name as the Nonna Lisa, which was what replaced Valentinos last year.

As Rob , the pancake place (la Bolee Creperie to give it its proper title) always goes well, both sweet and savoury and IMHO does the best hot chocolate. however if yours are like mine, they will find that they prefer the most expensive crepes on the menu (salmon , followed by Black Forest with whipped cream).

The Savoyard can also be a lot of family fun with a variety of hot stones, rebleuchon (sp? - melting cheese under a personal heater anyway) and fondues, also all with good chips. Again, nNot somewhere your bank manager will want you to go everyday (or your dietician...) but worth a trip to savour the local specialties of the Savoie. Very popular: you will need to book during the afternoon.

r
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arctic Roll, We had lovely pizza's there last Saturday and great chips. Its winning the vote for tomorrow night with kids.

Nowt much to report on Les Arcs today, spent the afternoon with the kids speeding around the bowl at alarming speeds. Not impresses when the 11 year old left me destroyed on monster moguls in 'Lac' run. I put it down to him having shorter skis Confused Evil or Very Mad Laughing Early afternoon was baked in glorious sunshine. Coldest place today...Bourg Saint Maurice at 5pm. Bloody freezing.

Tomorrow forecast nice with a change late in the day or overnight with fresh snow on the way. Leaving early afternoon Friday so need to keep an eye on that.

For those coming out soon be happy, very happy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thefatcontroller wrote:
For those coming out soon be happy, very happy.

3 weeks and 3 days Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DamonST, Are you there half term?
Which Arc are you off to?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
thefatcontroller, the pancake place would be fun for your kids.

Thanks but already invested several thousand euro in that place Shocked wink Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What a day yesterday turned out to be!! I know this is late, but I got home rather worse for wear and have been busy all day today until now.

Tuesday 17 Jan.
We started a little later after a hard day yesterday and planned to just go up and have an easier day doing some of the shorter off piste routes and piste natures. That was before we made our first decent down the couloir that looks over Arc 1950 and Arc 2000 from the top of the Bois de l'Ours ridge.

Having found the snow to have turned into a firm chalky surface we quickly went up to the top of the Aiguille Rouge and down the main face behind the fence from the top onto the glacier area below. Now that was steep!! If you are tempted to give this route a try, take care, a fall here could seriously damage your health!!

Then it was time to go over the back into the National Park via one of my favourite couloirs. The snow was once again firm and chalky in places turning into light soft snow lower down and even 'real' powder in places that were still sheltered as we neared the valley and La Planay village. What a great run down.

Back up again and a quick lunch at the Mushroom before heading to 'Par Avalanche' through the Whistler gate. My first time in a while on this route. Where had all the snow gone?? We had to walk along the ridge until we came to enough snow to ride down the route which turned into good snow again all the way down to the piste far below. The wind has certainly done it's damage here.

Finally we headed up the Varet and then Grand Col chair and played in the little couloirs on the way back to Arc 1950. A really fun route as long as you did not fall. Sorry mate, but at least I have know picture to post. My hands were to cold to get the camera out in time.

Just for a change we finished the day by going down the steep face beside the waterfall into Arc 1950. Lot's of fun!! and so another day comes to an end. The pictures from yesterday are posted in the photo section of the Les Arcs Winter page. Here is a taster!

(Below the Waterfall!! in Arc 1950. If you like off piste and have not tried this yet, give it a go, really fun!)

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 19-01-12 20:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
While we are on the subject of food... there'll be 16 of us in a catered chalet come end of Feb in 2000. As standard, we have one night where we have to feed ourselves. Where should we go? I'm assuming that if the Cabriolet runs til 11pm, then that opens up 1950 for us for dinner options too.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
love the pictures snowcrazy looks lots of fun, except the very steep bit Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Early morning weather report from Les Arcs. As I sit and eat my croissant looking out across at Bois De L'Ours (nice view), some darker clouds around. No snow forecast till tomorrow but who knows. The last few mornings have dawned bright but definite change this morning. Looking at the ski school flags below the wind seems up to.

Not sure what we will do today, depends on the wifes back. If she is better then hopefully a scoot across to La Plagne to do Les Sources and the black below Inversions which is rarely open.

The kids loved night skiing the other night so think that is on the cards again tonight Skullie Skullie

More later.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lunchtime report. Very changeable weather out there. Light snow at Transarc about 10, then sunshine in Montchavin, then snow in Belle Plagne and then snow and sunshine @ Roche del Mio.

Did Les Sources and then via our new quick route to Roche popped back up to do Inversions and Les Crozat. Lots of flat light about. I hate it. Grrrrr.

One way back to Vanoise wife had excellent wipeout on the 'Murs' black over Les Coches way. Sadly not got it on video.

Now back in the Solan in Peisey for lunch. Nice place but while I like an old play de jour, beef tongue put me of.

Afternoon planned in the 2000 bowl but what we do depends on weather and flat light. Would like to do Bois de L'ours but we shall see

Not my issue but think its stupid having 2 threads. Next season a Paradski only thread please. It is actually one ski area.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thefatcontroller, nah, we need one thread for each village wink

thefatcontroller, What was Olly Murs like? At Christmas it had been pisted top to bottom which made it a blue!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi

Out this Sunday for a week. Looks as though some snow falling in the next couple of days which should freshen things up a little (although the existing cover looks to be fantastic still). What is the forecast for next week? Some uncertainity on the forecasts - could be sun or a mix of sun and clouds. Be nice to get a better idea - hope to see the sun a few times during the week !!

Regards
snow conditions
Arctic Roll, how's the leg been since the start of the week??
latest report
Griggs - As you say, some uncertainty about weather forecast. Significant new snow tomorrow through to Sunday morning. Then mostly clear and sunny through to Thursday, with some cloud. Chance of more light snow on Friday. Colder than average from Tuesday onwards, with fresh winds. If it turns out like that I'll be happy enough next week.
snow report
Quote:

Not my issue but think its stupid having 2 threads. Next season a Paradski only thread please. It is actually one ski area.

Not for everyone it isn't. I prefer the Les Arcs area and rarely (about 1 day in 30) ever go over to La Plagne. This might be because I am only there about 15 days a year.

John
snow report
johnE, I agree with you - I tend to stay over on the Les Arcs side too - also I couldnt be doing with the tittle-tattle that goes on on the La Plagne thread wink
snow conditions
I also agree with most of the posts. Having a Les Arcs thread and a different La Plagne thread is better. Although I do go over the other side a lot and post what I did on both sides of the VE on the Les Arcs thread. I also post a message to tell people to read what I posted here on the La Plagne thread if they are interested rather than double posting. Not really a very difficult thing to do. For those reading the Les Arcs thread, by posting what I have done on the other side, they can see that crossing on the VE and visiting the La Plagne side can be just as fun! Toofy Grin so I think it is worth posting that info here.

Also as genepi, says, it would get to mixed up with local chat about both areas on the same thread.

If anyone has questions about Les Arcs they can ask them here. If anyone has questions about La Plagne, they can ask them on the other thread.

Now for an update.

Yesterday, had a great ski on the Bellecote and the snow in places was still very good. Here are a few pics. It is well worth the trip across. You end up back on the Les Arcs side at the end of the trip. Very Happy Plus you get to play in a few fun areas on the way over as well. Toofy Grin

snow conditions
Boredsurfing wrote:
thefatcontroller, What was Olly Murs like? At Christmas it had been pisted top to bottom which made it a blue!

First time we have done it, normally we head straight down Pierre Blanches but took the Les Coches side today and happened upon 'Murs'. It wasn't bashed so a bit carved up. Narrow enough to be called a black and that keep people of it to wink Laughing Nice run
ski holidays
snowcrazy, had some time spare this afternoon so popped up to the Arc 2000 tourist office to have a moan re the wireless. She asked where our apartment was and then took out a huge ream of paper and added our complaint to the long list of complaints they already have about it. They know the service is poo-poo, they have lots of complaints just not quite so sure they are going to do anything about it. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Our last afternoon ended early due to flat light. Heading back from La Plagne (boo hiss), we got of Derby to go down Reche to get to transarc, couldn't see a fecking thing on the slopes. I am useless on flat light, hate it. Up Transarc and Plagnettes was no better. Gave up at 2.30pm but we did go night skiing.

For those wondering, it is snowing up in Arc 2000
snow report
What is "flat light"?
snow report
Jenniper, when you cannot see the bumps and drops where you are skiing due to the light not reflecting off the undulating surface of the ground (or something like that). Smile

Toofy Grin Now for a report of our day on piste (well mostly) in Les Arcs. Toofy Grin

Today the weather had changed. Overcast when I woke up and looked out the window. As my friend only have two days left we headed up anyway, although a little later at 10am to make a 'Grand Tour' of the whole Les Arcs Ski Domain. Very Happy

Starting from Arc 1600 we headed across well groomed pistes to Peisey-Vallandry via the Arpette and Grand Renard chair and took the red Combe piste down which was in great condition and back up the Peisey chair. Then down the Ours Piste cutting off to go up the Grizzly chair in Vallandry. From the top, down the new Bordercross course having had a photo stop to see where we had skied on the Bellecote the day before. Across from the bottom of the course through the trees and up the Derby chair. Then a little off piste all the way down to the bottom of the Transarc in Arc 1800. Little Angel

Up to the top of the Transarc and a quick coffee stop before heading to the top of the Grand Col Chair for a little couloir training in the off piste area. After a bit of fun in the short steep gullies, a nice off piste route the whole way to Arc 2000 and then up the Varet Gondola just above Arc 1950 and then to the top of the Aiguille Rouge.

Now it was time for the long decent. None stop to Villaroger from the top of the Aiguille Rouge. On piste most of the way for once. Well, we did stop a few times to make a couple of detours off piste, but it was mostly on piste as the light was very flat. The piste the whole way down was in good condition. Very Happy

Up the chairs from Villaroger and down the Rhonaz forest piste to Pre St Esprit and a very good late lunch at the Chalet which is now under new ownership, but it still has the log fire and great food. Very Happy

Still not finished, up the Comborciere chair and down through Malgovert piste nature and a little variation I like on a steeper section to the Mont Blanc piste.

Finally arriving at the Beguin Hotel back just above Arc 1600 for a well earned drink before heading home.

This was a great circular trip covering all the highest and lowest points of the Les Arcs Ski domain and can be completed staying on piste the whole way if you prefer. All the pistes today were in great condition and with more snow expected, they should stay this way for quite some time. The only problem today was the light which came and went at various times during the day. However overall it was another fun day and as the photos show, full of variety.

Take a look at the pics in the photo section. 'Jan 2012 Album Two' on the Les Arcs Winter page Toofy Grin

Here are three I liked from today!

(We skied down that yesterday! Jan 19)

(Time for a challenge! But I cannot see! Jan 19)

(Malgovert looks good today! Jan 19)

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 20-01-12 0:49; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
snowcrazy, got it, thanks!
snow conditions
snowcrazy wrote:
Jenniper, when you cannot see the bumps and drops where you are skiing due to the light not reflecting off the undulating surface of the ground (or something like that). Smile

Excellent answer, I read somewhere that if you are prone to sea sickness then it effects you more? Not being able to tell the contours etc throws your balance completely out. It doesn't effect my wife to badly but if its severe it leaves me a gibbering wreck who looks like someone on his first day on skis, it can also leave me close to vomiting on the slopes. Had a bad fall in flat light 2 years ago and now either head to the trees or go in. Yesterday we had skied hard anyway in the morning so we went in.

Last live morning weather report. It has snowed overnight in 2000 but still dark here so had to see exactly but I would say it only looks like a light covering so far, forecast is for plenty more later today tomorrow.
snow report
Oh, ignore the last bit. looked out again. Chucking it down in 2000 now Cool
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thefatcontroller wrote:
snowcrazy wrote:

Excellent answer, I read somewhere that if you are prone to sea sickness then it effects you more? Not being able to tell the contours etc throws your balance completely out. It doesn't effect my wife to badly but if its severe it leaves me a gibbering wreck who looks like someone on his first day on skis, it can also leave me close to vomiting on the slopes. Had a bad fall in flat light 2 years ago and now either head to the trees or go in. Yesterday we had skied hard anyway in the morning so we went in.

Last live morning weather report. It has snowed overnight in 2000 but still dark here so had to see exactly but I would say it only looks like a light covering so far, forecast is for plenty more later today tomorrow.

I suffer REALLY bad from flat light. I have actually emptied my stomach twice at the side of the piste during white-outs.
I dont suffer from any other motion sickness. Someone told me that being able to board/ski in whiteout has more to do with ears than eyes.
I have bad tinnitus in my right ear from years of playing bass guitar in rock bands in my 20s. tinnitus effects balance.
Last week I came down from top of Grizzly on the last lift in thick fog. The light was failing so basically i couldn't see the front of the board. Left my lunch and some DNA on the piste outside the restaurant by the vallandy lift Embarassed . Todays snow should finally cover it Very Happy

Tux
ski holidays
White outttttttt. Hiding in the bubble bar in the middle of the 2000 bowl. Horrendous winds and heavy snow fall. Kids not enjoying this. Heading in shortly. Sadly not got time today but perfect boarding practice conditions.
snow conditions
Quote:

I suffer REALLY bad from flat light. I have actually emptied my stomach twice at the side of the piste during white-outs.

Flat light and white-outs not the same thing though, are they? It's possible to have very flat light at times when you can see stuff a long way away. You might be able to see, for example, trees or ski lift far away, but it's not possible to see whether there are any bumps and dips in the slope in front of you. If you know the run well, that's not a huge problem, but it does make life difficult and you have to have flexy legs and respond quickly to the messages through your feet. I had to do a schuss in flat light a few weeks ago - one I have done lots of times in the past - but I'd forgotten there's quite a roller in the middle and I nearly took off. Was a horrible feeling. But I couldn't have launched myself down that in a whiteout!

Was skiing with my son a few years ago in Tignes. We were going down a long blue slope whilst he decided to divert down a fun (for some) mogul field he had enjoyed the previous day. A few minutes later he caught up with me on the blue because standing at the top of the mogul field he couldn't see a single mogul - just a flat white sloping field. But it wasn't a white out, or anything like it, or I wouldn't have been out there at all.
snow conditions
Blizzard in the 2000 bowl. Gave up. Kids have a lesson in 20 mins Skullie Shocked Got down as far as the bottom of Pre Saint Espirt but got bus back up as we couldn't face 15 mins on the chair. Horrible out high.

We leave in a few hours. Need to go get the chains on.
snow conditions
I remember being in a whiteout in Courchevel, bizarre experience as I could barely even see my skis.. I thought I'd stopped at one point as I couldn't feel or see anything and the next thing I know I slid in to a little dip and the bobbing down and up completely threw my bearings..

At least with the snow coming down today there will be some fresh stuff for those heading out this weekend to enjoy Wink More of the same next Thursday/Friday please Very Happy
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, wink Never let it be said, that I didn't tell you Toofy Grin

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=79067&start=800#1955951
snow report
pam w wrote:

Flat light and white-outs not the same thing though, are they?

To varying degrees they have the same effect on me. Flat light I keep my lunch but go slow.
snow report
One run down from the top of Arcabulle to 1950 was enough for me. Skis were being lifted off the footrest by the wind and next to no visibility on Teppes. Had a walk through the 1950 underground car park and everyone leaving was having to chain-up, apart from one (Dutch) group who didn't appear to have chains!
snow conditions
steven0123, tentative, and stuck mainly to reds and blues (odd mogul and black but nothing too adventurous): nevertheless a fun few days - I'll show you me bruise when I get in on Monday!

So back in the UK after a well acceptable overnight couchette to Paris. Agree with the flat light conditions on Thurs being terrible. However.
That morning, the gang got the "fresh tracks" 07:30 Bois de l'Ours breakfast treat with the ski patrol - along with 26 others. (Free! Near 1950! Can you believe it?) After a quality food provision at the top, skied with the patrol back to 1950, then, as Ours was still open for them, they went up and over to 1600 before anyone else was on the mountain ( except the bashers) - and into the bar for an early ahem 'chocolate' break. (I was still asleep at this point - didn't get out until 10ish) . They tell me that the dawn light was great, and it wasn't until later that things got really quite nasty. We started down Les Bosses for example (which hasn't been pisted for a while) and just had to bail - you really, really couldn't see what the terrrain was doing, and its not an easy run in perfect conditions, let alone without vision.

So I would recommend this opportunity to get out early to everyone who can make it - look for the chalk board at bottom of Bois de l'Ours advertising it the day before.

Thus bad light ( or as described "great light for the steam room") and the risk of snow on Thursday got us down into Bourg early evening for the train home. I've mentioned The Kosy restaurant before, but we went there again, and had a terrific meal and boy do you notice the difference in spending power of the Euro down in the town!

See you all again at Easter, and hopefully I'll be fitter and more able to join the off-piste fun and games.

PS anyone know when Mexican New Year is? - just been informed that they will be roasting a pig at the firepit in the main street to celebrate, but no-ne has given me a date.
latest report
As I have not ventured out today, I have spent the morning doing odd jobs - cleaning the wood stove, windows(!!!), quite boring really, but the last hour, I have had great fun reading the discussion about flat light, and would like to contribute my "six penn'orth".
Yesterday, I decided to use the "flying handbag" to explore some pistes which I had never done before, but I had a dodgy start: after getting across the VE, I decide to take a short cut to Lac Noir bubble, by skiing immediately to the right, aiming for the ice rink and the small reservoir "cut through". But, due to the flat light, I misjudged the cut through to the left, skiied over a ditch, which I never saw, and my skis hit a deep snowdrift - STOP, my body didn't, describing a lovely forward somersault onto my head (fortunately wearing a helmet). No physical damage was done, and when I stopped laughing, another guy followed a similar track, and did the same, shouting "Merde". His son offered us both a helping hand, re crossing the ditch, but we shamefully declined. Only then did I realise that I had smashed my sunglasses (more of this later), and put my goggles on.
Shakily, I carried on towards Belle Plagne, and my destination was Les Verdons from Plagne Centre, an area which I have rarely ventured to in the past.
The piste I was interested in was a red - Mont de la Guerre, a long one which went all the way down to Champagny en Vanoise from the summit.
I couldn't even find the start - don't forget I had smashed my specs, but a very helpful lady just closing her snack bar near the top of Verdons summit, pointed me in the right direction along a blue piste. The visibility was appalling, but I struggled on. I only saw about six skiers/boarders the whole way down - all teenagers, who zoomed past me, quite oblivious to the crap light. Gradually the light improved as I got lower towards the forest. It was a great run, very wide for the most part, and I finally made it to the village, and jumped straight into the bubble for the return trip - exhausted.
Compared to the Aiguille Rouge run, down to Villaroger, which I have done dozens of times over the years, it was harder, even though it was only supposed to be a red piste. But, of course, the flat light made one helluva difference. If you like long runs, try it and see, but in GOOD LIGHT. It is an excellent comparison with Aiguille Rouge, and a lot quieter, I'm sure, even when the sun is shining.
By the time I arrived back at the midway point back up from Champagny, I was starving, so I dived into the Borseliers restaurant for a great Tartiflette, and a delicious cold beer. It made my day, but I couldn't read the menu, of course, and I didn't fancy "Plat du Jour" anyway - rabbit - I had too much of that in Malta a few weeks ago!
ski holidays
Enough snow has fallen around Vallandry to make the sides of the runs lovely. Spent 3 hours skiing through the trees. Perfect conditions on and off piste (apart from the vis), and it's only going to get better, with more forecast overnight. Shame we go home in the morning!
snow report
This article says you can ski in tje evenings, is this correct? >>> http://www.espritski.com/snow-reports/les-arcs-2000-snow-report-20-jan-2012/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy