Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Fohn closed all top lifts in Murren today. Springlike conditions, very quiet but still managed to crank up a good mileage. Sorry no photos but forget camera lead.
Happy Christmas everyone.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am a bit confused. I am reading all over the place that a jungfrau ski pass (thinking of getting a 3 day) includes a rail ticket from interlaken. The reason why I am not convinced this is true is because it isn't mentioned anywhere on the jungfrau website.

anyone know?

also, how long is the journey from interlaken ost?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
amps, if you go here http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/winter/tourism/travel-information/skipass/jungfrau/single-skipass/ you will find at teh bottom right of the screen a link to a small map which will show the three areas covered by eh different ski passes, Essentially these are Murren (going from Lauterbrunnen to the Schilthorn only), Wengen-Grindelwald (goes from Lauterbrunnen to First) and Jungfrau which esentially ads the trains of the BOB (going from Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald) to the total areas of the other two passes.

Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen takes 25 mins by train, to Grindelwald it takes 34 Mins

From Lauterbrunnen to Wengen takes 14 Mins

From Lauterbrunnen to Murren typically takes 30 mins if you grab the bus down to Stechelberg from the railway station and then the cable car up or about 20 mins if you take the cablecar up from Lauterbrunnen and the railway to Murren

Hope that helps and Happy Christmas

Little Angel
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Everything open in Murren with excellent snow on Schilthorn and Birg. Flat light after lunch and bare patches at bottom of Schiltgrat.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BMW on Mannlichen!

And Santa at Scheidegg!

Not a bad day today, but got windy this afternoon, with light snow at Scheidegg. Still very warm in the village, but weather looks like it's due to change. Lovely Xmas gala dinner last night at the Wengenerhof.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
at D G Orf: hmm. For some reason I can't really see that map that well. It is well documented on the jungfrau page what mountains the passes cover, it's the rail ticket i wasn't clear on. But, according to you, the jungfrau ski pass (even for 3 days?) covers the rail ticket from interlaken ost to any of the mountains.

I find it odd that this isn't clearly spelled out on their website (or it is and I haven't found it).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
amps, yep so long as you go for 3 days minimum and have the full region ( Jungfrau ) pass you can get the trains to and from Interlaken Ost, you don't buy any extra rail tickets the ski pass covers you for all the trains, cable cars and ski lifts in the area, plus some of the buses (though I'm never entirely sure which ones I do know the local bus in Grindelwald that goes from the bottom of the slopes to the lift stations is definitely included) I have only been going to the area since the year I was born and for more than 40 years this has always been the case, the only thing that does change from time to time is whether they allow you to go from the top of the Schilthorn back down as part of the pass, some years they will automatically, some years they will if the weather is bad, seems to depend on who is running the system

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 27-12-12 23:16; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
amps, I would confirm what D G Orf is saying that the Jungfrau ski pass covers the trains from Interlaken Ost to the Jungfrau ski area.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
riverman wrote:
[b]amps[/b], I would confirm what D G Orf is saying that the Jungfrau ski pass covers the trains from Interlaken Ost to the Jungfrau ski area.
amps, I stayed in Interlaken last January with a ski club visiting from the US. yes we had six day JUNGFRAU tickets and rode the trains and local buses everyday with our ski pass. We were staying at City Hotel Oberland in the center near the Post Office and big square. We found it was quicker to ride the 105 bus from near (around the corner) the hotel to WIDERSWIL (spelling?) and catch the train to Lauterbrunnen from there (and vice versa) vs going all the way to the Interlaken Ost train station (via another bus between there and hotel) We did ride to the station one day before we figured out the short cut mentioned above. AT any rate, there is no doubt our JUNGFRAU six day tickets covered the trains in and out of Interlaken to Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, etc. I am leading a trip for 37 people from my own Philadelphia area ski club to stay in Grindelwald this March (in Jan 2012 we went along with a different club) and I am encouraging everyone to buy at least the 3 day pass since it covers so much transportation and also for the discount it gives for those who want to do the full trip up to Jungfraujoch (which I did not get to do in January 2012) .
I once again am enjoying reading this thread as I prepare for our March trip - I may have a few new questions or comments between now and then. Happy New Year to all of you. Maryellen
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can you take meat and dairy products from the EU into Switzerland?

Thanks
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jerby, a very good question the answer is yes but you are limited in quantity

Essentially the following rules apply to each person crossing the border

http://geneva.angloinfo.com/information/moving/checklist/imports-exports/

What this means is you can bring in a 0.5Kg of fresh or frozen Beef,veal, pork or lamb in total (e.g 0.3kg of beef and 0.2kg of lamb per person)

3.5Kg of poultry or pre prepared versions of the previous meat such as dried beef.

You are I think allowed to add up the totals for everyone travelling with the meat

Anyway more details on the site I linked to

Unless you have a specific unusual dairy requirement I'd not bother with dairy, milk, cheese, butter etc can all be brought in any supermarket there, although the milk will taste a bit different due to different cattle and different grazing especially if you have the excellent local milk.

Meat however might be worth taking, especially if you like good bacon, meat has always been expensive to buy in the shops.

Pretty much everything else you can find out there, though locally I'd suggest if you are driving stocking up in Interlaken where there is a bigger supermarket and sometimes slightly cheaper prices plus more selection. There's a great big supermarket right next to Interlaken Ost Station
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
D G Orf wrote:
JerbyI'd suggest if you are driving stocking up in Interlaken where there is a bigger supermarket and sometimes slightly cheaper prices plus more selection. There's a great big supermarket right next to Interlaken Ost Station

This is what we do on the odd occasion that we've driven. Very good supermarket and easy parking.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just booked another Paragliding flight for our Feb visit Smile

Best company in the Jungfrau Region (me thinks)

http://airtime-paragliding.ch/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
amps - you are of course right - they do not really want to tell you what is covered by the Jungfrau pass - not an exclusive problem to this area - it is something that most lift companies hate to do as they assume everyone is staying in resort. I was interested to read that medskis had used the bus to Wilderswil - I used to in the past, when on my brief shopping trip late afternoon to Interlaken, but could find no reference to it still being available on the Jungfrau site.

I think what is definitely not covered is any train from Interlaken Ouest.

But having recently comeback from Kitzbuhel where ski buses are sometimes not skibuses in low season and the like - one has to understand that communication is not a language thing - it is just designed for in the know locals so not too many grockles (to use the Devon terms for tourists) actually use the service.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
countryman wrote:
it is just designed for in the know locals so not too many grockles (to use the Devon terms for tourists).

We too here in Jersey use that name for tourists wink
latest report
countryman, Only trains from Ost towards Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald are covered as they are part of the BOB private railway which has ties to the WAB, JB and so on, other trains even those from Interlaken West to Ost are not covered

countryman, I think several of the buses are regarded as feeders into the system so if you stay in a more out of the way location you tend to find out about them more, certainly I've used my pass on the Bus before from the Middle of Interlaken (near the post office I think) out to Wilderswil before but normally I just walk back to Ost station or if feeling flush pay the few Franks to go from West to Ost
latest report
D G Orf, You are correct that the Jungfrau pass covers just the BOB from Interlaken Ost to Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald - we use this service all the time. The station carpark at Wilderswil is free during the winter so saves the drive and cost of going up to Lauterbrunnen. Also included is the SkiBus in Grindlewald and the bus from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg.
If you are staying in the Interlaken area you can use the free skibus (you still need a Jungfrau pass)
http://www.interlaken.ch/en/information-and-journey-to-interlaken/travel-tips-interlaken/free-ski-bus-interlaken.html
or get free local bus travel with your GasteKarte (paid for with your local hotel tax) This includes the bus from Interlaken West to Wilderswil.
http://www.interlaken.ch/en/information-and-journey-to-interlaken/travel-tips-interlaken/guest-card-and-holiday-passes-interlaken.html
snow report
Its getting a bit warm for the next few days, FL rising to over 3000m Sad Sad
snow conditions
Yup, Lauberhorn race weather, it's always tropical. Guess that means the Inferno's coming up too?
latest report
Warm weather till about the 10th, no rain though

Cooler after the 10th till maybe the 20th when there is a chance of snow, but as always weather that far into the future may change
snow report
Chris Brookes wrote:
Just booked another Paragliding flight for our Feb visit Smile

Best company in the Jungfrau Region (me thinks)

http://airtime-paragliding.ch/

Ooh... Looks interesting. Been threatening to do that for some time. Provisionally had paramotor lessons booked last summer but changed my mind. A tandem paraglide would perhaps help me choose whether to take up PPG or not..

Am heading to Grindelwald the last week of January. Done Wengen, Murren- I know Grindelwald is perhaps the least attractive in many ways but fancy enjoying the food at Hotel Belvedere, and I actually really enjoy First as a ski area, mind you Wengen ski area just as easy to get to anyway.
snow conditions
I'll be there from Thurs next week. snowHead Anyone able to comment on current conditions?
latest report
Ray Zorro wrote:
I'll be there from Thurs next week. snowHead Anyone able to comment on current conditions?

Which village are you staying at this time?
snow conditions
Chris Brookes, have you flown with Airtime before then? Sorely tempted- which flight did you do?
snow report
eddyr wrote:
Chris Brookes, have you flown with Airtime before then? Sorely tempted- which flight did you do?

yes and both but in the summer only
ski holidays
First time I've gone here DIY- am I right in thinking the Swiss transfer ticket is the cheapest transfer cost from Zurich airport? Seems to be from what I can see thus far...
ski holidays
eddyr wrote:
First time I've gone here DIY- am I right in thinking the Swiss transfer ticket is the cheapest transfer cost from Zurich airport? Seems to be from what I can see thus far...

Sure is and if you paid it before the 1st Jan 2013 you would get it for CHF85 per adult return
snow report
Chris Brookes, Lauters again - Oak Hall, so will do both Murren and Wengen Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eddyr, yep both for Zurich and Geneva airports, I think someone worked out that Basle might be a fraction cheaper by regular ticket and Bern is much cheaper by regular tickets
ski holidays
Are you able to get a train from Interlaken to Zermatt? Thinking of going skiing there for the day. Is it worth it for the day.
snow conditions
Its another beautiful day and good to still see on the cam snow at Stechelberg
http://hoteledelweiss.roundshot.ch/
snow conditions
Looks pretty dry over the next week or so - come on, some fresh would be very welcome for our 17 January trip ...
ski holidays
Jerby, long trip to Zermatt 3 hrs 10 mins change at Lauterbrunnen, Interlaken Ost, Spiez and Visp, you could do it but only really worthwhile if you get an early train in the morning 7am would get you in Zermatt for 10.15 as an example
ski holidays
franga, no snow likely much before the 20th I'm afraid
snow report
Does anyone know if highlights of the Wengen Downhill are being shown on Ski Sunday this year?
snow conditions
eddyr, Tried to PM you but you are 'down a crevasse'. We are off to the Belvedere in Feb - would be interested to hear your comments after your trip in January, particularly where is best (most convenient?) place to hire skis, and any other tips for the ski area. We went to Wengen many years ago, so looking forward to going back.
ski holidays
Jerby wrote:
Are you able to get a train from Interlaken to Zermatt? Thinking of going skiing there for the day. Is it worth it for the day.

Air Glaciers from Lauterbrunnen. http://www.air-glaciers.ch/lauterbrunnen/
snow conditions
Brian T,

Yes, series starts next Sunday at 5PM. Lauberhorn highlights on the 20th.
snow report
eddyr wrote:

I hope you visit the superior village of the Region, Mürren and the pistes above it and back down to Lauterbunnen(so much better wink )
snow conditions
gamekeeper, yeah I don't know how I get out of this crevasse.... Haven't been active on here for a while Wink

Sure I'll post some feedback, looking forward to getting out there. Not sure where to hire from myself just yet... It'll all come together!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy