Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Les Arcs 2011 / 2012

Poster: A snowHead
thefatcontroller wrote:

Conditiosn great, sunny but cold, very quiet, every single run in Les Arcs and La Plagne is opent.....blah...blah. I am sure you all get the picture. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin NehNeh NehNeh

Agreed about the temp. We were out at just gone 9:15 and it was perishing. Also agree about the quite runs especially early on but I was still taken out by possibly the only other person on Belette! - a youth of indeterminate nationality ... and parantage.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm travelling Wednesday night. If those weather reports are right it's like it was dumping just for little ol' me!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So I'm going to Les Arcs for the first time in March. (Oh so very excited!)
I was wondering what the typical conditions are like during March, and if there are any pistes that are a must?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Really looking forward to Les Arcs now with just under 3 weeks to go Very Happy

Just got back from my local snowdome to do another lesson, this time "Level 5: intermediate 2" got some very good feedback from the instructor and i can pretty much do a basic parallel turn (consistently) its not graceful but i can do it Laughing Laughing just can't wait to get on the real stuff in the apls now snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks Boredsurfing, Any news on the Les Arcs one - its in the jump park
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks Boredsurfing, Any news on the Les Arcs one - its in the jump park
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Glad its going well Russeh, I think we are flying out on the same day (4th). Cant wait now. Snow falling again at the end of this week coming, so hopefully will be a bit more by the time we get there. Should be great conditions Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jon Ford, yeah we are both out on the same day Very Happy i've been keeping tabs on the weather thread as well, as you say looks like there will be a bit of a top up with snow before we get there Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jon Ford, the bag is open in les arcs (and free...unlike the 1950spa, which, while bl^^dy great, is also bl&&fy expensive!) Hope to get out to potter tom orrow, and with a fair wind out properly again on Tues. Today has been spent, as is possibly apparent from spelling, enjoying the finer things of life.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There so much going for Les Arcs....it is a huge ski area and snow sure. I am working out here at 2000 at the moment. You ski may give you the chance to ski at Vald'isere and Tignes even. You cant go wrong realy. Have an amazing time!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Today we stayed in the Les Arcs ski area and what a great day it was!!

Started off with a fast ski from Arc 1600 down to the Marmottes chair via one of the gullies above Edelweiss piste. Then straight up the top of Aiguille Rouge. Had a close look at the ice that is now coming through on the glacier then headed over into the National Park via one of the couloirs.

The conditions are very mixed off piste now with good soft snow followed by wind blown ridges and then more soft snow. Although only avalanche level 1 today you still had to be careful.

After a long decent including negotiating some very large moguls we reached La Planay and then Villaroger before going up the lifts and then down through the forest to have a very good lunch at the Solliet Restaurant.

Following Lunch, back up to Arc 2000 and through the Whistler Gate and a fast ride down the Vallee de Lanchettes which turned out to be good chalky snow most of the way. Back up again and down the left of Droset off piste where we managed to find 50 meters of untracked sugar snow and then up the Comborciere chair.

Finally going to the Snowpark above Arc 1600 to get some photos before heading back to Arc 1950 and some well deserved drinks at George's Wine Bar.

All the pistes we crossed today were in excellent condition and the off piste is still good fun. The whole domain was open today.

IN THE SNOWPARK the 'FREE' Air Bag for people to perfect their tricks before hitting the jumps, tables and rails is now open most afternoons. There are now a large number of jumps and tables open as well as the bordercross course. The Wall and Black jumps should be finished very shortly. They also have a 'Freestyle TV' system set up so that you can see your own jumps, both on the screen and via the Internet. Very cool!! Check out the Snowpark pics which are posted in there own section on my facebook page.

Some bad news. The Funicular now closes at 8pm on weekdays so I must always leave George's by 7.30pm. NOT GOOD!! They say the reason for the earlier closure time is lack of customers!! I am not impressed.

Pics of today are posted in the photo section of the Les Arcs Winter page.

Here are a few that I like the best.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 16-01-12 20:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowcrazy, Is there a separate pass needed for the park or is it just on your standard pass?
Love to have a go and get minime in the air
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Morning from 2000. Cold but sunny. Nuff said. off out shortly.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry for the mundane question amongst all these fantastic photos....
Could somebody please confirm the connections available on TVs in 1950 apartments? I have a portable DVD player - do I need to get a scart cable, component video, S-Video or even HDMI?
Thanks.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lunch in 2000. Got a bit warmer. Over in 1600 this morning, used the new Mont Blanc lift. Very impressed, changes that whole area, I know some may say it opens it up to much and make it busier but it is much better.

Quick dash back to the bowl up to the glacier and Aguille Rouge in glorious snow from top to bottom. Joy, oh joy.

Stopped for lunch. After lunc wife wants to do Malgovert and Comborciere but won't do Bois De L'Ours, go figure?
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, Good to see you and snowcrazy, are managing to spend a whole day in Les Arcs wink snowHead
ski holidays
Coming out en famille to Arcs 2000 on Sunday. Never been there before, looks great for the kids (and us, obviously). Very, very excited.
Can I ask, how do you get from 2000 to the reds and blues above 1600? My tiny online piste map isn't clear.
Ta all.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 16-01-12 16:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
northernsoulboy, http://www.ski-jungle.com/piste-maps/pm-les-arcs.html I have not been yet, but on the big map looks like ski down to 1950, lift up then blues down? someone who knows will be along in a minute.
latest report
blahblahblah, excellent, thanks. That's a lot clearer than the piste map I'd got hold of. (My mistake, too, I meant 1800, not 1600.)
snow report
pdjs, Both hdmi & scart present plus USB (I just went and looked!): new digital tvs installed for the season, to cope with French digital switchover this past November.

northernsoulboy, for 1800 go into 1950, take bois de l'ours lift, then a pick of blues into 1800. Or... down to Pre St Esprit, then Belvedere to 1800. But the former is more pleasant! If red are your thing, then take Marmottes, then Arcabulle, then Grand Reynard and others. Seriously, there are so many way to do this...

Went out on the blues only this afternoon, still very worried about the calf muscle. Still not perfect, would have trouble reacting in an emergency, but to be honest, thighs burning more (fifty, fat , unfit) and it was just wonderful to be out. No-one about: no queues, blues skies, a perfect couple of hours. Phew. More tomorrow, for sure, but will possibly leave the complicated stuff until Easter visit.
ski holidays
Arctic Roll, much appreciated. As it's a family holiday with kids we'll tend to take the easiest routes, probably.

I see lots of snow expected at the back end of this week; does anyone have a longer range idea as to whether it will be blue skies next week? here's hoping, obviously.

One other quick one - can anyone help with the nearest hire shop to the Altitude Residences?

Again, ta in advance.
latest report
No one can really predict next week im affraid. forecasts are only good for the next day or two and then its guess work.

i am currently sitting in st pan waiting for my eurostar train in an hour. tgen overnight to bourg.

Am soo excited
snow report
Thanks Arctic Roll, I think you just saved me a couple of quid.
latest report
Finally got up Aiguille Rouge cable car this morning - walked straight on, only about 20 people on board, including a few snowheads with stickers on their helmets! Tried AG last Wednesday afternoon - massive queue, first day open, so turned away.
It was a bit nippy (-12 degrees C), so called for quick coffee at Chalets De L'Arc to thaw out, before going up to top. I was glad to get motoring towards Villaroger. The snow was in almost perfect condition - hard and fast, and NO STONES on road down to Le Solliet restaurant. I kept going to Violettes chair, didn't bother with last section to Villaroger, had to get back to pick up missus for afternoon ski.
I was actually warm as toast going back up two chairs, after a very fast descent, so I gave it a go down Droset black - a lot of hard and polished moguls, but I enjoyed the run, one of my favourites, before going up Comborciere chair in the sunshine, and back home to Peisey, non stop, just in time for lunch.
The afternoon was very relaxed, but we did have a pleasant vin chaude at Blanche Muree, before heading back through the trees to Peisey - a great day. I read the forecast and believe more snow is forecast for Thurs/Fri. But I am cautious, because the local forecasts are so often wrong
snow report
Les Arcs weather forecast is for snow Thu 19 to Sunday 22 Jan (heaviest on Friday). Then gradually clearing, with sunshine early next week. Possibility of light snow again by 25 Jan. Also cold, eg -13c maximum at mid-mountain on Sat 21 Jan, with fresh winds. One of those Hannibal Lecter masks might be handy for the chairlift rides. Weekend journey up the mountain could be interesting too. Temperatures predicted to rise by a couple of degrees by 25 Jan.
snow report
ricfrench, The snowpark is included on the normal ski pass for Les Arcs.

pdjs, when I stayed at Arc 1950 I had a scart lead with me. Then the DVD worked fine.

northernsoulboy, it is very easy, you just ski down to Bois de l'Ours chair and then follow the signs going to Arc 1800. There are loads of routes down off the ridge.

Arctic Roll, pleased to hear the leg is getting better and you were able to ski today. See you in George's tomorrow evening.

chippy4, I agree, it is very hard to guess the local weather. As intermediate, says, snow is forecast for later in the week, we hope it comes but cannot really be sure how much. Next week could be fun if it does arrive. If people are driving out this weekend, they may well need chains again to get up the mounatin to the resort stations from Bourg.

My report of today will follow later. If you like the off piste, come back later it will be worth it!! Time for dinner! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
snowcrazy, Popped down to George's to see if you were there. We will skip tomorrow if that is ok, I am not sure you could endure a day with mrshealthandsafety bleating in your ear, 'you don't want to be doing that' wink We are proably going to potter over to Champgny and do Mont de la Guerre(?) with lunch in La Roche. Lovely restaurant there.

After lunch today we went up Bois de L'ours, and across to the lift to the top of Comborciere, Comborciere was stunning, absolutely stunning. Back up and did Malgovert. its marmite for me, I hate that run Mad Mad . However we ended up on Mont Blanc, which was so nice and with that lovely new lift we popped back up and did it again. Called it a day then and headed back to 2000.

Going to do La Plagne tomorrow and promised the kids I will take them night skiing in 2000 tomorrow night. Was a good idea, potential of bribery of sweets in the worlds most expensive pick and mix shop in Arc1950 might get me out of it. Will see how the day works.

Weather was sunny but still bloody cold. Cannons were on most of the day in 1600.

Message to the Arc 200 Tourist office. Don't brag that this season you are offering free wi-fi in 2000 if the bloody thing is useless. Dial up in the 70's was better. I would prefer to pay for something that worked that have for free a pile of poo-poo. Wet string is better.
snow conditions
12 snowheads in les arcs this week. Toaster promises a full report on his laptop tomorrow rather than me typing on my phone
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chrisb, bring them all down to George's Wine Bar in Arc 1950 for a chat and a beer after skiing tomorrow. As we chatted about a while ago. If any of you want to come and try some of the amazing off piste with us and be in the pics I have been posting. Send me a PM and we can arrange something or come and chat about it in the bar. I am there from 5pm tomorrow. Toofy Grin

thefatcontroller, It would not be a problem for the Mrshealthandsafety, she would be amazed at what she can do. I have never had a disappointed person yet!! Toofy Grin Maybe we can arrange something later in the week. I will be in the bar tomorrow after skiing. I did say yesterday that I would not be their tonight. Pleased to hear you told the TO about the rubbish Wifi. Maybe they will improve it now??? Puzzled
ski holidays
Monday 16 Jan. Today we got up early as the snow is starting to go off a little and headed up high. After a fast ride over to La Plagne we arrived at the Bellecote Glacier and climbed to the top of the ridge and dropped over into the National Park in the hunt for fresh powder. Toofy Grin

We were not disappointed!! Was it worth the effort, YES! A long valley of almost untracked powder!! (Even 10 days since it snowed.) We were able to put our lines down and enjoy a great ride to near the main valley. Twisted Evil

Then a long ride out past more avalanche debris and waterfalls before arriving at the bottom. Laughing

Not satisfied we went back round for another route. This time along the ridge towards the Frielin Bowl and then down a steeper couloir to the Bauches Chair and a very fast decent to the VE in time to get back over to Arc 1600 and a drink at the Altiport before heading home. Another great day in the backcountry comes to the end. Toofy Grin

Pics are now posted on the Les Arcs Winter page in the Photo section for Jan 2012. If you want to have the chance to be in the photos of the places we go to, please send me a PM and I will see what can be arranged. Very Happy

Here are the pics from today that I like the best!

(That was fun! On top of the world!)

(Getting away from everyone!)

(Fresh tracks again!)

(Finally onto the shoulder and still good snow!)

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 17-01-12 0:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
snowcrazy, great photo's thanks....
snow report
snowcrazy, Thanks will pop down later.

8am here in Arc 2000. Sun just waking up, very cold out there. Looks like another sunny cold day. Toofy Grin

Heres one for the Les Arcs experts. Where are there free wifi restaurants on slope. We know the Solan in Peisey offers wifi. Am surprised the Areptte does not, anyone know of any others on slope that offer wifi?
latest report
thefatcontroller, La Vache in Plan Peisey offers free wifi. So does the Mont Blanc in Vallandry - its just on the slopes!
snow report
All the P&V apartments in Arc 1950 have wifi, I assume the Raddisson ones also have it.
latest report
The Belle Pintes in 1950 has wifi, just ask for a password when you order a drink.
snow report
thefatcontroller, also 3 Arcs in 1600 has free wifi ( not used it)

All reception areas in 1950 have it, but you need to ask for a code.
snow conditions
Thanks guys, was also looking for one out on the slopes as a coffee stop? 1600 is ok, stupid the Arpette doesn't allow access.

Spent the day in la Plagne so not much to report on Les Arcs conditions other than the night skiing up in 2000 was cold but fun with 2 kids who insisted on doing Marmottee @ 200mph about 20 times. Knackered, sadly me not them Cool
ski holidays
Another day and same old, same old. Cold and very white out there. Pottering about Les Arcs today, taking the kids out this afternoon so need all my energy.

Forecast a little warmer today and tomorrow but seems to be some good snowfall forecast for the weekend. The presents depths are incredible but the place could do with a freshening up, however it is still a millions times better than last year.
snow report
Thanks fat controller for the info I am heading out from Scotland on Saturday and really looking forward to the excellent conditions, would agree about last year good conditions then, but obviously as you say a million times better this year.
latest report
thefatcontroller, With the heavy snow forecast for Friday Saturday I guess you had better leave tomorrow or get snowed in for another week Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy