Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 10/11 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I love the winter, more than the summer by a long way and there is nothing that woul stop me enjoying myself in the snow

so why have you got a completely inappropriate car then? I suppose it's OK if you just stick it in the garage and don't get it out till the snow's gone.

other countries don't cope - this is a tired old argument, trotted out over a couple of pints in bars up and down the country. This is from the Chicago Tribune:
Quote:

The Chicago Department of Aviation is reporting that 75 flights have been canceled at O'Hare International Airport on Monday. That's after almost 1,700 flights were canceled at both O'Hare and Midway International Airport on Sunday.

The cancellations left some travelers stranded overnight at O'Hare, where officials set up about 200 cots at the request of airlines.

The Chicago area only received a few inches of snow, but the region also has been hit by low temperatures and high winds

I was watching the Chicago area particularly as brother and sister in law were flying there yesterday - or trying to.

Snow shuts airports and closes down roads in areas with heavy traffic. Fact of life, even in Chicago which is accustomed to very cold winters. Geneva shuts with a few inches of snow, too, and as for Chambery..... a coupla light banks of fog are enough. Washington slithers to a stop in an ice storm. Thousands of people were stuck overnight on trains in Germany a week or so ago. Motorways across France were causing problems too. If we get heavy snow - or even a mild sort of snow - transport will be very badly hit. wishing for maximum snow and minimum disruption may be entertaining, but it's also futile. If it snows there will be a lot of disruption and Brits will moan about it, blaming the government and "them" even if their own determination to make unnecessary journeys - sometimes in inappropriately prepared vehicles - is the real issue.

By all means set out on an unnecessary journey in the face of a poor weather forecast (my son will probably be doing just that on Saturday, coming down here for the weekend). But please don't blame everybody and anybody else if it goes wrong. Yes, I could get pretty well anywhere in my car - winter tyres, chains etc. If only all the other selfish sods didn't insist on making their own journeys so I had the road to myself!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
brian wrote:
Ummm, some of them might a wee bit. wink

LOL, just a wee bit? Wink
Mattmulkeen wrote:
I want a rematch of the christmas eve snowball fight where my neighbours teenage kids pounded me and my little boy... we owe them man .....bring on the snow!

snowHead Toofy Grin

Maybe pam w & Ricklovesthepowder could join you and settle their wee argument that way - snowballs at dawn ... or Xmas eve Wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This country deals with the cold and snow a lot worse than any other country, that is a fact. Yes flights, rail etc suffer on the continent, but due to winter tyres being made mandatory in these countries, the whole country grinding to a total halt is rare. I carry chains, shovels food blankets etc, its the people who dont carry anything who create the problems.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
roga wrote:
brian wrote:
Ummm, some of them might a wee bit. wink

LOL, just a wee bit? Wink
Mattmulkeen wrote:
I want a rematch of the christmas eve snowball fight where my neighbours teenage kids pounded me and my little boy... we owe them man .....bring on the snow!

snowHead Toofy Grin

Maybe pam w & Ricklovesthepowder could join you and settle their wee argument that way - snowballs at dawn ... or Xmas eve Wink

trying to battle my down to the South Coast in there 1mm of snow would be a nightmare!!! Imagine all the fuss they would make!!! Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^ ROTFL Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
roga, i feel the response could be a long one!!! Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
This country deals with the cold and snow a lot worse than any other country, that is a fact. Yes flights, rail etc suffer on the continent, but due to winter tyres being made mandatory in these countries, the whole country grinding to a total halt is rare. I carry chains, shovels food blankets etc, its the people who dont carry anything who create the problems.

Like Germany - http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2010-12/14/c_13648876.htm

or Austria? http://balita.ph/2010/12/02/heavy-snow-catches-out-austria/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski wrote:
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:

Like Germany - http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2010-12/14/c_13648876.htm

or Austria? http://balita.ph/2010/12/02/heavy-snow-catches-out-austria/

Of course there will still be accidents etc, but are you seriously saying that France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Germany etc all come to a halt as much as the uk? People in britain drive around in the summer and 30c with the same tyres on the vehicles in winter and -10c and expect the roads to run exactly the same. Griting only works to a certain extent, winter tyres will be a major advantage due to the compound of the tyre.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
could someone move this tiresome opinion war onto another thread please?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ricklovesthepowder, roga, Mattmulkeen, Laughing snowHead Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

but due to winter tyres being made mandatory in these countries

tosh.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
red 27 wrote:
could someone move this tiresome opinion war onto another thread please?

Sorry i couldnt resist!!! snowHead Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Evolution of the cold spell in the UK is still hard to call. Last night had a better all over snowy picture... This evening still has plenty of cold and snowy options especially for the north although it is less clear cut how it will play in the south... The run into Christmas sees GFS and ECM squabbling away... ECM producing a more attractive colder and snowier picture offering a route back into cold times... Everything to play for as 18z lines up later this evening... Faites vos jeux!

Looking to the Alps and beyond the weekend FI seems set on introducing more seasonal temperatures, possibly slightly above average? Snowfall on Monday. Then a cold interlude... Before more snowfall building up around 23/24 December for Christmas Eve?

Snowing heavily in Hokkaido! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As little as 24 hours ago this thread was actually good Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nozawaonsen wrote:
beyond the weekend FI seems set on introducing more seasonal temperatures, possibly slightly above average?
Thank god for that, I think I've been frostbitten today.

Quote:
Snowfall on Monday. Then a cold interlude... Before more snowfall building up around 23/24 December for Christmas Eve?
Even more good news.

Quote:
Snowing heavily in Hokkaido! Very Happy
And that's great as well!

Thank you, I like this forecast Happy
latest report
Christmas/New Year looking very interesting. Have to hope some of those warm days don't coincide with some of those wet days though.
snow report
Nice update nozawaonsen, any further updates on the Alps in the next couple of days will be appreciated, as we fly out to Grenoble on Monday for a week in L2A (flying from Stansted).
ski holidays
Chamonix meteo is very conservative about the forthcoming snow. Meteo france say big snow all day on Friday, pretty well throughout the northern Alps. Chamonix meteo sees just a few flurries, they're not even giving any estimate of depths. In my experience they are right more often than meteo france. Sad Maybe their forecasts will begin to coalesce tomorrow.
snow conditions
pam w, you Sad too much... don't make me dig out that positivity thread from last season! Laughing
snow conditions
A fair amount of snow hitting the French Alps Thursday night into Friday morning on this model (hit animer).

And this one. wink
ski holidays
A little OT but read this link for the chaos snow has created in austria

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/news/Ein-Land-tanzt-im-Schnee-Walzer/12741487

quote from the above article

"The greatest amounts of snow is currently in Hochfilzen in Tirol. There have met in the past three weeks fabulous eight feet of fresh snow."

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 16-12-10 8:31; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Quote:

eight feet of fresh snow

Shocked
snow report
waynos, nozawaonsen, but Austria is too low to ski at [please enter your dates here] - don't you know that! Laughing Laughing Laughing

I've got to dig out the drive tomorrow morning so that I can get my car in to the garage - that is just one day's worth of snow here in the measely low Bavarian Alpenvorland wink
ski holidays
18z kicks the snow off in the UK with some appetisers tomorrow (possibly ambushing evening rush hour in the south)...

But saves the real day of reckoning for Saturday with widespread snow storms and disruption all round. Could be very tricky.

The 18z run also can't resist the flourish of snow across the UK on Christmas Day... (that might be pushing it, but well see...)

Into the Alps it looks like snow on Thursday night through Friday clearing through on Saturday...

Snow into the Alps again from Thursday week then all through Christmas... (worth keeping a watch on freezing levels though...)

A pretty snowy outlook...

Chill out...

wink

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 16-12-10 1:05; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Quote:

Austria is too low to ski at [please enter your dates here] - don't you know that!

Samerberg Sue, I don't recall anybody on snowheads saying that - you seem to have a bit of a fixation about it, though.

nozawaonsen, the met Office don't have any severe weather warnings out for Saturday - timing seems a bit uncertain, but definitely been pushed back from the pasting we (and the French Alps) were supposed to be getting tomorrow. Saturday disruption in the UK won't be good news for the thousands of people setting off from the UK to fly or drive to the ski resorts. Fingers crossed for them all.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Samerberg Sue, I don't recall anybody on snowheads saying that - you seem to have a bit of a fixation about it, though.

Och we all have our fixations ... apart from me of course, don't think anyone could accuse me of being fixated with any particular part of the world Wink
Quote:
nozawaonsen, the met Office don't have any severe weather warnings out for Saturday - timing seems a bit uncertain, but definitely been pushed back from the pasting we (and the French Alps) were supposed to be getting tomorrow. Saturday disruption in the UK won't be good news for the thousands of people setting off from the UK to fly or drive to the ski resorts. Fingers crossed for them all.

Seconded, in fact I'll be amongst them Shocked
snow report
pam w, I had always seen the snow more likely to hit the French Alps on Friday? It still looks this evening that that is what is likely to happen as far as I can see (moving through Switzerland and Austria as the day progresses). Could change, but that is what I am seeing tonight.

If the forecast holds I would expect Met Office to update its current advisories for severe weather, heavy snow and icy roads, on Saturday to early warnings some time tomorrow.

I think transport is likely to be heavily disrupted this weekend. This evening the snow looks heavier for Scotland on Friday and England on Saturday.
snow report
Snow arriving in Scotland now.

Still a possibility of some snow showers across south of UK for this evening's rush hour...

This morning's forecasts (00z) press the case for heavy snow in the south of the UK rather than the country as a whole... (Ricklovesthepowder could be calling for a Steward's wink ). But it's still all in play... And the forecasts will change during the day...

In the Alps the signal for snow on Friday remains strong (late Thursday into Friday in the French Alps). More suggestions of a snowy period over Christmas across the Alps... But again it is accompanied by a slight warm up above average... Freezing levels will be worth watching.

This morning's runs take it back cold again in the Alps after Christmas...

More snow into Hokkaido...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, you are one of those who most frequently makes comments about height and amounts of snow - hence my tongue in cheek quip

Selective amnesia by any chance? Laughing
snow report
Quote:

you are one of those who most frequently makes comments about height and amounts of snow

I don't think so - except to vaunt the advantages of our own ski area which, although low, often has better snow cover than the Tarentaise. I generally point out that late in the season aspect becomes more important than altitude and have also often stuck in warnings about the extreme bleakness of high resorts in some circumstances. In fact IIRC I have never made any disobliging generalisations about Austria. If I have, then I shouldn't have, and apologise. But you'll need to find my disobliging generalisation first. wink

Ironically I have had more stick on this forum for trying to dissuade anybody who doesn't have to from visiting French resorts (all of them) during the February holidays.
latest report
Cham meteo now forcasting with numbers snowHead 20-30cm overnight tonight and a further 10-20cm with it falling below 500m (those potential accummulations shown for circa 1200m)

it should start up later today...
snow conditions
skinutter, Cool
snow report
 brian
brian
YIPPEE, YIPPEE, MORE SNOW!! snowHead Laughing

I'd expect Chamonix (and the Espace Diamant wink ) to be picking up a good 20cm or so overnight tonight, a bit more higher up.
snow report
snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
From a colleague in Shetland at 0900 this morning:

"Its awful here today. It was 7 degrees last night and -3 now, but feels like -30 windchill.
Its a severe gale from the north and this old house is groaning.Outside its a whiteout."
ski holidays
jonathancarty, there are times when I think I'd like to live on an island up there, and then there are times when I'm glad I live in the soft underbelly of the country.
snow report
Met Office just lit up the board with Flash and Severe weather warnings...

Again they focus Saturday's heavy snow in the South, but have plenty to go round elsewhere before then, especially in Scotland.

Worth saying 06z GFS dove the low further south hitting Northern France rather than the UK on Saturday.

The little ball is skittling back and forth round te wheel making that tantalising sound. Where's it going to stop?
snow report
Quote:

Seconded, in fact I'll be amongst them

Moi Aussi. At least as far as Manchester on saturday. I was going to go on sunday but brought it forward. 48 hours ought to be long enough to get from NE Scotland to Manchester, you reckon Puzzled

Many of the TOs are flying on Monday so my fingers are crossed for not too bad wx in Manchester then as I'd like to be one of them!
snow conditions
Quote:

From a colleague in Shetland at 0900 this morning:

"Its awful here today. It was 7 degrees last night and -3 now, but feels like -30 windchill.
Its a severe gale from the north and this old house is groaning.Outside its a whiteout

Yes its looking pretty dire in parts:
This was the meteox radar at 1300.
(p.s. times are CET)

We're nicely in the rainshadow here. (for now....... Skullie )
snow conditions
Here is the weather from Manchester

12pm 8c light winds
1.30pm 2c light winds snow.
A 6c drop in 1 and a half hours!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy