Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2023/24. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
Wrighty1994 wrote:
7.5hr from Chambrey to Tignes le lac on Saturday for friends who landed at 10am. 7 hours for me, the mrs and the 7month old baby from Chambrey landing at 5pm. Potentially has put me off ever coming back to Tignes. I knew not to travel on a Saturday, but that was something else.

Pistes in generally good nick today though which was pleasant, but the drive has left for a real bitter taste in the mouth.

We fly home from Chambrey next Saturday at 17:10, should we leave on the Friday evening and get a hotel over that way just in case?

Such a shame!

Wow, just 88 miles, that’s a 2 hour trip on a non-ski travel day. A bore isn’t it.

Even ever conservative MeteoFrance are forecasting snow next Saturday, your plan is a sensible move.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We had a mere 4.5 hour transfer to Val Claret a couple of weeks back, however our return was perfect as we left at 4.30am Sad Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snow&skifan wrote:
Wrighty1994 wrote:
7.5hr from Chambrey to Tignes le lac on Saturday for friends who landed at 10am. 7 hours for me, the mrs and the 7month old baby from Chambrey landing at 5pm. Potentially has put me off ever coming back to Tignes. I knew not to travel on a Saturday, but that was something else.

Pistes in generally good nick today though which was pleasant, but the drive has left for a real bitter taste in the mouth.

We fly home from Chambrey next Saturday at 17:10, should we leave on the Friday evening and get a hotel over that way just in case?

Such a shame!

Wow, just 88 miles, that’s a 2 hour trip on a non-ski travel day. A bore isn’t it.

As pointed out above, Chambrey is a lot further from Tignes than that.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Wrighty1994, don’t travel on a Saturday - great plan to avoid that by going Friday.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wrighty1994 wrote:

Saturday had multiple French regions on holiday with Paris on both sides, so you would have had Parisians coming and going, as well as UK, Germany, Netherlands all coming or going. Plus lack of snow lower down would have meant people with flexibility heading to and from the higher resorts. If there'd been snow you'd probably still be here!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chambrey that is 662km or 414 miles? I don't think 7-8 hours is too bad for that distance...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mullins wrote:
Chambrey that is 662km or 414 miles? I don't think 7-8 hours is too bad for that distance...

Chambery to Tignes is about 140km/87 miles, so 2 -2.5 hours is the normal transfer time. Not sure where you're getting 662km from?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@thecremeegg, these are laborious references to a typo.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hah ok, laborious is certainly the word for it!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
On Saturday as i was leaving the "bouchon" started at Moutiers and lasted 100km to at least la tour de pin for those traveling to the mountains (2pm). It must have been horrendous. Traffic from the mountains was surprisingly light. Tignes to Lyon in 2.5 hours. It makes oe wonder why more don't take the train to moutiers, bourg etc and then transfer up to the desired location. Its got to be better than the 7/8 hour tailback? are the transfers that limited from there?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski train has already stopped I think? Since covid the service is incredibly limited
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi there, I'm trying to reserve parking at P5 La Daille. We are using a hire car so don't know the registration and the hire company can't give it to us either. Does anyone know if you can amend your Val D'sere parking booking via your account? Don't want to spend 75EUR now if I need to rebook again!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi all, I'm after a boot fitting in Tignes at the start of March. I've read on SnowHeads that Sebastien at Mountain Story is a good bet, but when enquiring about a fitting, I could only be seen by him the day after I arrive. They said I could be fitted by Valentin on the day I arrive.

Does anyone have any experience of fittings with Valentin at M/S? Or should I sacrifice the morning of my first day skiing and stick to Sebastien?

Thanks
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Or see if you can get to see Michel at Richermoz in Val Claret.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
winterstickboarder wrote:
Hi there, I'm trying to reserve parking at P5 La Daille. We are using a hire car so don't know the registration and the hire company can't give it to us either. Does anyone know if you can amend your Val D'sere parking booking via your account? Don't want to spend 75EUR now if I need to rebook again!

Which week are you coming? If NOT in school holidays then you should be able to simply turn up... otherwise you cant change the reg number on the account I dont think but if you email them you might get a better outcome.
snow conditions
Steve Angus wrote:
winterstickboarder wrote:

Which week are you coming? If NOT in school holidays then you should be able to simply turn up... otherwise you cant change the reg number on the account I dont think but if you email them you might get a better outcome.

Thanks, coming on Monday and I'm keeping an eye on the number of spaces left. Currently 28/200 available. Seems a bit silly that you can't change the reg. Would have thought a lot of the business would be from hire cars. I have emailed, so hoping for a speedy response.
snow report
@Wrighty1994 your travel from Cham airport to Tignes sounds awful. Do not let it put you off Tignes. Unfortunately you were travelling on what is known to be the busiest month of the year at most French resorts and one of the two British half term weeks that coincided with 2 French regions on school holidays. I would always avoid Feb half term if you can because the slopes are busy and the lift queues long. Other school holidays are not as busy including Easter. Ideally dont fly - get the Eurostar or TGV to Bourg SM and then a 30min trip up to resort in a bus or taxi. If you have to fly try a transfer on a Sunday its a lot quieter. With global warming skiers will end up going high so it will get worse
ski holidays
Thanks for the replies all, and the bit of sympathy. The great piste conditions have soothed my anger at the journey for now.

Anyone got any inkling as to whether this Thursday snow is likely to be a reality as if so, will change my flights to Sunday morning for and extra day on the Pow
snow report
Charlie333 wrote:
@Wrighty1994 your travel from Cham airport to Tignes sounds awful. Do not let it put you off Tignes. Unfortunately you were travelling on what is known to be the busiest month of the year at most French resorts and one of the two British half term weeks that coincided with 2 French regions on school holidays. I would always avoid Feb half term if you can because the slopes are busy and the lift queues long. Other school holidays are not as busy including Easter. Ideally dont fly - get the Eurostar or TGV to Bourg SM and then a 30min trip up to resort in a bus or taxi. If you have to fly try a transfer on a Sunday its a lot quieter. With global warming skiers will end up going high so it will get worse

My point was similar above, Why do more french, Belgian, lux, dutch etc not choose to take the train etc. as happens for the Austrian resorts I know the connections are terrible form the airports - Lyon Grenoble Geneva(multiple changes etc.) but it must be better form the major centres?
snow report
@Wrighty1994 id suggest you check the weather forecast on Tignes.co.uk Its usually pretty accurate. Its a good website by British team out there that do Accom and lots of other stuff . Thurs mix of snow/ rain cos its so warm and fri and sat snow/sun
https://www.tignes.co.uk/weather.htm
ski holidays
Follow meteo tarentaise on Facebook for local forecast.
snow conditions
Quote:

Why do more french, Belgian, lux, dutch etc not choose to take the train etc

I suspect because they're already full.

I returned from London to Tignes on Friday and took the direct train from Lyon airport to Bourg St Maurice (which started from Paris) and even on the Friday it was practically full, barely a spare seat. Plus, the line is single-track and certainly on Saturdays, saturated already so little scope for laying on extra trains.
ski holidays
mcg wrote:
Charlie333 wrote:

My point was similar above, Why do more french, Belgian, lux, dutch etc not choose to take the train etc. as happens for the Austrian resorts I know the connections are terrible form the airports - Lyon Grenoble Geneva(multiple changes etc.) but it must be better form the major centres?

I'm based in Lux. Can only speak for myself. No direct trains. We would need TGV to Paris return first. It's mid-term, so school holidays, and prices would be insane.From home to train station would be an hour, with 30 mins arriving before train. 2h10 to Paris. Tromp across Paris, either options are Metro with luggage, or taxi in Paris mid-term traffic is an hour. Paris is same week holidays as us this year (and next year), so then join a train to BM. Price per ticket for a non-holiday Friday in March is between e150 and e330 one way, and we are a family of 5. Taxi up to Tignes (with all the luggage). So for me personally, it would be 5 journeys one way at ridiculous prices. In the car we brought skis, snowboard, boots, Thermomix, food, drink, other years we have brought slow-cooker etc
Potentially 2k return on the train only, not including taxi from home to train, taxi across paris, taxi from bourg to Tignes, and all of the above in reverse... Or on Train, Lux->Lyon->Chambery -> Bourg St Maurice-> Tignes...
snow report
The snow/rain is about 5 hours away so here goes with a forecast. The jetstream is forecast to be over the Alps for the next few days, so it's going to be unsettled, with lots of weather. Again, the picture is unusually complex with lots of troughs and kinks in the pressure systems, so there is still a lot of disagreement on the weather for Saturday and Sunday between the varying forecasts. Standby for disagreeing apps on the chairlifts and in the bars. But tomorrow is going to be snowy all day and there will be a gusty wind especially in the afternoon, expect a fair few lifts to be shut later on. The all import snowline will start at around 1800m and could rise as high as 22-2300m in the afternoon, its going to be a bit grim low down. But on high, by Friday morning in the order of 20-30cm of snow or up to 25mm of rain. Through Thursday Night/Friday morning the snowline will drop to around 1400m. by breakfast time on Friday you should be faced with some sunny spells, an odd light shower of snow cannot be ruled out, but after the snow and wind expect a slow start as the pisteurs start throwing bombs around again. It will be a good deal colder on Friday, so depending on when the snow stops and the sky clears there may be some very hard pistes lower down. Saturday will of course be busy on the roads, but hopefully it will be dry with the odd sunny spell as I suspect there will be a lot of cars with no chains, so if any showers of snow do develop then it will only compound the queuing. Sunday could currently see almost anything, so I'll say no more! But the start of next week looks unsettled.
snow conditions
thanks for the forecasting @chocsaway. Pretty Spot on!! Any ideas where will be good and quiet tomorrow to ski on some of the fresh powder? Really would like to do some off-piste without paying or a guide, not looking to go wild, just under a chair or two. Can you reccomend any lifts or areas for a nice line under a chair?
latest report
@Wrighty1994,
The naturides.
snow conditions
How and where do I find these !?
latest report
Les pistes Naturides® :

Sur Tovière : les pistes Pâquerettes, Campanules, Envers de Campanules, Aster
Sur le Palet : les pistes Guerlain Chicherit et Golf
Sur l’Aiguille Percée : les pistes Aiguille Percée, Œillet, Epilobes et Silène
Sur la Grande Motte : la piste Leisse
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wrighty1994 wrote:
How and where do I find these !?

They're all on the piste map. Black crosses. For Chicherit you'll need skins as Col des Ves chair is out for the season.
snow conditions
Big slide visible on the Motte webcam between 11:10 and 11:20. Good job it's closed.
snow report
VTSkier wrote:
Big slide visible on the Motte webcam between 11:10 and 11:20. Good job it's closed.

On the WhatsApp groups this morning there have been loads of vids and pics doing the rounds of slides etc. The eye opening one is Diamond bowl after Grapillions - the whole hing was triggered by a lone skier who luckily skied out of it. Ill try and post it on my insta (@SteveAngusSnow) later this pm.
latest report
Just the travel update this evening.

For the fliers, there is a chance of fog anywhere from Birmingham southwards. If it forms anywhere it will be thick so will slow down operations, especially at the busier airports as Lo Vis procedures come into play. Geneva will be fine for flying. Parts of Meteo France are on strike today so there will be no airport forecasts today, but looking at the overall picture it should be OK (always tricky to apply an area forecast to Chambery though).

The roads, well you know, big hold ups as the forecast is for 32k vehicles heading out, which may well not be tempered by folks leaving tonight as it’s a nice day after a poor one, and 38 k heading up. So same as last week be out of Tignes by 6.30 latest or after lunch. Coming up, you’ll have to be very early.
ski holidays
Val dsere Instagram account posted a picture of a frozen waterfall today. Does anyone know where this is and if you can access it? Thanks
ski holidays
Hi All - just a quick one for anyone out here over the next few weeks. There's an attempt to organise some Saturday morning race training (GS) in Val - but accessible from Tignes - over the rest of the season. PM me if you might be interested and I can give you more info.
snow report
@winterstickboarder, I can’t see it on Look at Megram, there are a few waterfalls, can you post a link?
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
@winterstickboarder, I can’t see it on Look at Megram, there are a few waterfalls, can you post a link?

https://www.instagram.com/stories/valdisere/3310386320924839631?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igsh=MW01YnA0NnczYW5uaw==

4th pic in
ski holidays
Not being signed up I’m not allowed to see it!
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
Not being signed up I’m not allowed to see it!

Ah okay, I can't work out how to post an image unfortunately Eh oh!
snow conditions

@winterstickboarder,is this it?
snow conditions
Gämsbock wrote:

@winterstickboarder,is this it?

Yeah that's the one!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy