Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warning - Ski A La Carte

Poster: A snowHead
wow, that's pretty expensive!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

when Paradiski is free for the under 6 , they were selling a card

once again..... PARADISKI IS NOT FREE FOR THE UNDER 6s. What is so difficult about this that it takes 40 years of experience and an old gnarled mountain man to understand? There are certain conditions under which they get free lift passes - conditions which neither the OP nor her supporters have yet, it seems, taken the time to read.

The OP went to the mountains for a month and omitted to read the impressively clear information on the Paradiski website about how the passes work.

Plus, the card is not sold by Paradiski, it is sold by A La Carte, which points out clearly in several different places on their website that it charges everyone a discounted flat rate adult price.

I would also point out that I have not flamed anyone and that I have never been to Paradiski, and never read either the A La Carte website or the Paradiski website before last night. Somebody who had never been beyond Warrington could have done exactly the same thing.

The OP and her supporters reckoned she was "screwed" and "conned" and that anyone who suggests otherwise is some kind of bent, twisted, malignant old woman who probably has no friends. It is easier, I suppose, to resort to this rather childish kind of argument than to come up with a logical argument supported by the evidence.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dudes

you've made VoT
a VoR

ok bye
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, well said.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arctic Roll, Saw the initial post and felt a bit smug to as we looked at the card ourselves a few years back and close to signing on the dotted line I noticed the kid thing at that point we ducked out. We got Ski La Carte cards for ourselves this year and they work great but for kids they are shocking value. it states on the website in English that

Quote:
There is no specific “à la carte” day rate for children. The price of a day’s skiing with the “à la carte” reduction is similar to a child day rate and, with the pass

This is categorically wrong (excluding the under 6 for free for a second). We used Ski la Carte in January and Les Arcs per day was
38.50 euro or 231 for the week. We bought our kids 6 day passes at the ski office for 162.50 or 68.50 euro less than if they had been using the Ski La Carter pass.

It is clear(ish) on the website about the kids however we nearly got caught. I can understand the initial posters anger and admire her calmness about it. I think I would be going to the Ski company direct, the maoyrs office and tourist office.

Let us not also forget that when you apply for the card you have to give a DOB so they took a booking for 2 persons they knew should be free in the first place. Legally are they right, not sure, as they as a lift pass company knew they kids should be free anyway. Morally it stinks.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Nadenoodlee, indeed - but lets let the old girls try and be contradictory just for the sake of it - at least it keeps this thread top of the list

I think you may find that Lizzard may actually be younger than you. Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
once again..... PARADISKI IS NOT FREE FOR THE UNDER 6s. What is so difficult about this that it takes 40 years of experience and an old gnarled mountain man to understand? There are certain conditions under which they get free lift passes - conditions which neither the OP nor her supporters have yet, it seems, taken the time to read...

How much is it then? There is no indication of cost from here?

http://www.la-plagne.com/en/winter/skiing/lift-passes/unlimited-paradiski.html
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ray Zorro, what an awful website that is. Having a look a child pass for 6 days is 162,50€ . I assume that applies to all children regardless of age ( if they do not qualify for a free pass).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hells Bells, Ray Zorro, Paradski is free, as under 6's are entitled to a free pass either side so you won't need a paradski you just need both side passes and before someone jumps down my throat about this, I have genuinely actually done this. Not a problem. We have skied close the the Vanoise both sides with under 6's. Walked either side into a lift office with a passport showing proof of age and no issue and no check on our lift pass.

As for getting across the Vanoise, lift the kid up as you got through yourself. Toofy Grin The lifties didn't give a poo-poo.

Been there, done it, got the t-shirt.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh as an aside. Anyone thinking of getting a card for themselves (kids need not apply). Then feel free to PM me for my e-mail address and I will sponsor you and save you 6 euro.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8095
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I'm with pam w and Lizzard on this one. I have used Ski a la Carte in the past, and the lack of a kids price has already been reported on here on another occasion as a reason for not buying one

Puzzled oh, well, in that case EVERYONE should already know (think this call for a well deserved rolling eyes )
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thefatcontroller, thanks, so what is pam w going on about then?

And ... if you found the whole a la carte system a little confusing, and you have been there more times than most, it is entirely unsurprising that someone else might get caught out by it.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thefatcontroller, it does say that a pass is only free if an adult has an equivalent pass, but then I assume most under 6's will not be skiing without an adult.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

It would surprise you how bad some big businesses are at doing lots of things even to the extent of really knowing where they make the most profit, so I'd be surprised if this was deliberately set up as a scam

fatbob, if that was the case then you would think the company would refund what snowboardingmum paid for her infants. In my opinion, it's telling that they havent.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I think you may find that Lizzard may actually be younger than you

she's younger than 39? It does actually require the use of more muscles to frown than to smile - I guess her famous "grumpiness" has taken its toll.
snow report
Shimmy Alcott,

dude

all chicks born in the sixties
are younger than 39

ok bye
ski holidays
Wow.
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
thefatcontroller, it does say that a pass is only free if an adult has an equivalent pass, but then I assume most under 6's will not be skiing without an adult.

Assume so as have bought(?) the free kids passes on their own without showing mine.
snow report
stoat of the dead, If you read the OP, she wasnt coming on here for a rant - that basically came from me. She didnt come on here to drag the Co. through the mud - I suggested she try posting on their fb page.
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, except it wasn't their page was it? It was Serre Chevalier's.
latest report
thefatcontroller, the price of a kid day pass for Paradiski is 38€, or more or less the same as an adult pays if using the card. Their statement that "The price of a day’s skiing with the “à la carte” reduction is similar to a child day rate" is therefore entirely correct. When buying a pass for six consecutive days you are not paying the day rate - effectively you get a reduction for buying in bulk.

Shimmy Alcott, quit with the mudslinging. You have no clue as to either how old I am or what I look like, and nor is either of those pieces of information even remotely relevant. You succeed only in making yourself look silly.
latest report
Spyderman wrote:
Why do I have a vision in my head of 2 female tag teams mud wrestling in bikinis? Toofy Grin
Lizzard wrote:
Shimmy Alcott, quit with the mudslinging.

dude

easy mistake

ok bye
snow report
Voice of Treason, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

what is pam w going on about then?

Following is from the website:

Quote:
Children under the age of 6 can get a FREE lift pass of the same type and duration as that of a parent (except for La Plagne 4 hour, season and La Plagne and Paradiski 6 and 12 non-consecutive day passes)
ski holidays
Voice of Treason wrote:
Spyderman wrote:
Why do I have a vision in my head of 2 female tag teams mud wrestling in bikinis? Toofy Grin
Lizzard wrote:
Shimmy Alcott, quit with the mudslinging.

dude

easy mistake

ok bye

It's got better, it's topless now. Laughing
ski holidays
latest report
Ski a la carte is not aimed at the holiday maker who lives in the UK and goes skiing for a couple weeks a year. Its target customer is the person living in Grenoble or Lyon who may make a few weekend or "sick" days skiing a year and chooses to go different resorts each time. Even for me who may go for a couple of weeks at a time but may not ski every day it makes no sense.
latest report
Hells Bells, indeed, different resort to the OP but its the same ski card, same organisation. The card covers 6 ski areas.

I think its safe for me to assume that not ONE of us would pay 900e for something we can get basically for free; so the only peeps who are going to buy this card are those who do so mistakenly. Some of you obviously think thats their tough luck. I disagree. Is all the company needs to do, on the website - where it proudly announces juniors "subscribe for free" is add the sentence (but will be charged adult day rate minus a discount). Job done.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FFS woman. IT ALREADY SAYS THAT.

How else are you choosing to interpret the sentence "The daily rate is a flat rate (no discount for children or senior)."? Twisted Evil
latest report
Lizzard wrote:

How else are you choosing to interpret the sentence "The daily rate is a flat rate (no discount for children or senior)."? Twisted Evil

It says that now. It might not have when the OP booked: see my earlier post.
ski holidays
Lizzard, it doesnt say that where it says kids "subscription is free" - I've quite clearly said i think they should put the two in the same place. Also, calm down, you might do yourself an injury.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

what is pam w going on about then?

Following is from the website:

Quote:
Children under the age of 6 can get a FREE lift pass of the same type and duration as that of a parent (except for La Plagne 4 hour, season and La Plagne and Paradiski 6 and 12 non-consecutive day passes)

The reality in resort is different I have got free lift passes on a few occasions and was never asked to produce my own ski card. All you are asked for is the childs passport to show proof of age.
ski holidays
IFIRC season passes can break even around the 2/3 week mark......
latest report
thefatcontroller, +1
snow report
agw wrote:
Lizzard wrote:

It says that now. It might not have when the OP booked: see my earlier post.

And what was the relevance of that post? Given they went skiing at 4 and 5 years old in 2012, they would have been 1&2 in 2009 - even given Snowymum's obviously a keen skiier I'd be surprised if she's signed them up for ski a la carte at those ages.

It's a shame snoymum's dived out of this thread - I'd be interested in finding out how she managed to get a month of school for the 4 and 5 year old?
snow report
Quote:

juniors "subscribe for free" is add the sentence (but will be charged adult day rate minus a discount).

Which for the older "juniors" (up to 18 years old), or seniors, could well be a saving on the "pay on the day" rate, and so worth subscribing. Or maybe not; it will depend on a host of things, including how many days during the season you are likely to use the card (because of the 1 euro days every now and again) and how flexible you are about where to ski, to take advantage of the other special offers. Yes, it is quite complicated and to work out accurately which combination of passes would be best suited to a specific family, with kids of particular ages, staying for a month would probably take some careful reading of the websites. (though it might be easier than comparing a raft of mobile phone rates or even multi-fuel energy schemes). Given that passes will be a major cost of a month's holiday, well worth the effort.

By the way, to all those people talking as though the OP was a neophyte; she's not. On earlier threads she told us that she has skied for many years across North America and Europe, so will have had just as much experience as most of us of buying ski passes.
snow conditions
bertie bassett, if the 4 year old isnt 5 before Aug 31st this year then it wont need to be in school yet; if its 5th birthday is after Aug 31st then it will start school in September. Im not sure if there is a law that says the child doesnt need to go to school till the term after its fifth birthday anyway...not sure though???? So that could apply to the five year old. Either that or she has a very understanding head Smile We are allowed two weeks pre approved.
ski holidays
pam w, not only are you wrong with the things you are saying about lift passes not being free for children under 6, but you are missing the fundamental point of this thread.

The OP made a mistake with her purchase, recognised that, but made this post so that others in the same position as her may not follow those same wrong footsteps.

No she is not a beginner, and therefore it is all the more reasonable to expect that others might do as she did.

This thread doesn't apply to you, but there will be others that it does affect. Let us hope that they might be saved an expense from the OP's experience.
latest report
Ray Zorro, + 1.
snow report
Quote:
There is no specific “à la carte” day rate for children.
The price of a day’s skiing with the “à la carte” reduction is similar to a child day rate and, with the pass, you do not have to keep your children waiting or give them money or a cheque to look after... a real relief

I think this lost something in the translation. It could equally well be read as "the cost of taking a child skiing on an a la carte carte is the same as the cost of taking it skiing with a ticket from the lift company." This latter price OP assumed, not *entirely* unreasonably - though erroneously - to be €nil.

It's pretty rotten of them to sell something that's worthless for a significant charge. But then this week I went into Waitrose and Chocolate Homewheats are £1.75, "pricematched" to Tesco. Only a few weeks ago they were 2 packets for £2. Big business has become very dishonest - or at the very least confusing - with its pricing. I think confusing your customers in that fashion is at best dishonourable, and at worst dishonest. The reference to "free subscription" is added confusion.

Somebody will have cause to thank OP for saving them some hundreds of pounds on account of this thread. Not everybody has hours to peruse the Ts&Cs of every contract they enter into for their holiday.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy