Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

MPI Brokers - avoid!

Poster: A snowHead
@phil_w, if a regulated UK insurer fails, you will certainly still be covered. It only happens very rarely, because UK requirements for insurer solvency are fairly strict. If a non-UK insurer fails, that could be rather different, as it won't necessarily be covered by the FSCS.

But in this case MPI are / were a regulated UK intermediary, so the FSCS should still kick in if there is a problem.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have now reported to the ombudsman.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wendyjh wrote:
I have now reported to the ombudsman.

You and probably a few others.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My MPI annual policy expires today. Under normal circumstances would have expected an invitation to renew or something from them - nothing. Says it all really.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My policy expires this weekend and I just received this email

Quote:

We are writing to inform you that your Multi Trip insurance policy is due to expire shortly.

It is with regret we have to inform you that we are currently not able to issue any new policies as we are in the process of moving insurers. However, once done, we expect to include all the usual great cover MPI offers, and hopefully some enhanced areas too!

If you are looking to travel shortly, please email us and we will endeavour to seek an alternative insurer for the time being.

To check your current expiring policy, please go to YourMPI account - www.mpibrokers.com , along the top you will see a drop down called ‘Logins’. If you hover over this, a menu will appear, select YourMPI. You will then be prompted to log in where you can view current and old policies.

We do apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause, and we will be in touch just as soon as we concluded matters with the new underwriter.

I'm not entirely sure I'll be using MPI this year, at the moment SkiCover look to be offering the best policy I've found
https://www.skicover.com/off-piste-ski-insurance.aspx

Quote:

Under our winter sports ski insurance policies you can ski and snowboard anywhere within resort boundaries provided they are considered safe by resort management.

This means our ski insurance policies cover you to ski and snowboard "anywhere". Be it a pisted run or off piste up to your neck in snow, as long as the area is open and is considered safe then you are OK. If the runs or the area has been shut because of a risk of avalanche or because of low visibility or high winds then you are considered to be skiing and snowboarding against the resort guidelines and if you had an accident your claim could be declined.

Might need to chat if I ever thought about off-piste out of the back of a resort, e.g. down to La Masure from Ste Foy or off the back of Courmayeur down towards La Thuile - or even the Vallee Blanche I suppose. I think though I'd have a guide in that kind of circumstance
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@nbt,
Quote:

I'm not entirely sure I'll be using MPI this year

I wouldn't go back to MPI given how they've handled this.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Hurtle, I may have been using typical british understatement in that case Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@nbt, Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@nbt wrote
Quote:

Under our winter sports ski insurance policies you can ski and snowboard anywhere within resort boundaries provided they are considered safe by resort management.

This means our ski insurance policies cover you to ski and snowboard "anywhere". Be it a pisted run or off piste up to your neck in snow, as long as the area is open and is considered safe then you are OK. If the runs or the area has been shut because of a risk of avalanche or because of low visibility or high winds then you are considered to be skiing and snowboarding against the resort guidelines and if you had an accident your claim could be declined.

I'd be a bit cautious about this. The "within resort boundaries" wording is more appropriate for North America. Relying on the condition that an off-piste area is open and "considered safe" by resort management seems to be a big risk for European resorts.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
To be fair, I can't see myself doing a massive amount of off-piste, I just want to be happy that I'm covered if I see what I consider a safe line and decide to give it a go after due consideration. I've been skiing long enough to know my limits and to recognise that certain things look dodgy enough for me not to try them. We had a conversation and they chap did seem to say that within the resort boundaries (which are usually clearly marked) you're good to go unless the area is roped off / shut in some other way. I will double check though.

They also exclude "terrain parks" which seems a bit of a blanket response. I mean fair enough, I may not be good enough to hit the Audi Nines park at Solden, but the little box and small jump at the side of the green piste is perhaps more appropriate - but not covered.[/quote]
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DCG, a lot of policies have this type of wording. I asked LV for clarification in Jan 2023 and this is what I got:

You can go off piste where this is allowed, there will most likely be areas where you are told don’t go to so we wouldn’t want you to go in those areas and you must stay within the boundaries of the recognised resort. You will need to check with the resort what their boundaries are.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Layne, I think part of the problem is that the people who write these documents don't always understand skiing. The only areas that I can think of where you would be told not to go to would be nature reserve zones - and the restriction there is nothing to do with safety. Equally, I can't think of any piste maps that show the resort's recognised boundaries, although I could imagine many cases where these could be constructed - mainly along ridges. But could you get someone from the resort management to define them? That may open them up to liability for in bounds accidents.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DCG, in France, could "resort boundaries" be considered to be there the areas in which your aren't covered by French public rescue services and hence have to make your own provision for cover?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sugarmoma666, That's an interesting thought. I'm not familiar with how they define such areas and how punters are made aware of them.
The main issue for me is having certainty as to whether or not I am covered. I would want to be sure that the insurance company could not find a loophole to exclude them from liability.
It's very simple to define open pistes. It would also be possible to use the avalanche warning levels to give certainty for off piste cover (e.g. cover only applies on level 2 or level 1 days). Beyond that, I think the only option that removed wriggle room would be blanket off-piste cover - which some policies provide.
Of course, the LV wording would make sense if the resort management did publish what they considered to be the resort boundaries but I can't see the incentive for them to do that.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Re resort boundaries. Perhaps anywhere that you can both ski to from the top of a resort lift and ski back to the foot of a piste-served resort lift? Without walking in either case.
snow report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
..in France, could "resort boundaries" be considered to be there the areas in which your aren't covered by French public rescue services and hence have to make your own provision for cover?
I had a mare whose Heli rescue in France was free precisely because it was outside the (3v) resort. That was last century, mind. So it maybe works the opposite way to how one may assume...
snow report
@phil_w, I know of another who had free rescue for a similar reason.
ski holidays
Yes, the rescue thing doesn't work as a definition. There's no "free rescue" from pistes, either. But it's nice of them to send a heli to rescue a horse.
ski holidays
ecureuil wrote:
Re resort boundaries. Perhaps anywhere that you can both ski to from the top of a resort lift and ski back to the foot of a piste-served resort lift? Without walking in either case.

Maybe. But there must be lots of places that are surrounded by pistes but require either a short hike to get to the start or one at the bottom to hike out to a connecting piste. An example would be the Tignes face of Borsat accessed by a short hike off the Borat express but you then ski down onto the pistes returning to Val Claret
snow report
@DCG, in many places with the Tignes / Val d'Isere area, I've seen explicit signs saying "going beyond this, you are outwith the resort boundary and thus on your own", and I'm sure I've seen similar in other areas - even if it's just a rope such as at the exit of the top lift in Ste Foy (though even if you duck under that you can ski back round to the resort base)

edit -= eg. at the top of Grand Pre

https://maps.app.goo.gl/685Eci2QtW2uZ6Th6
snow report
Origen wrote:
There's no "free rescue" from pistes, either. But it's nice of them to send a heli to rescue a horse.

There is in Chamonix. If you wipe out badly on piste and need a blood wagon and ambulance to hospital, you pay. If you need the PGHM chopper from the piste, it's free.

Mind you, they charge a bit to close the piste for 10 mins.
snow conditions
nbt wrote:
@DCG, in many places with the Tignes / Val d'Isere area, I've seen explicit signs saying "going beyond this, you are outwith the resort boundary and thus on your own", and I'm sure I've seen similar in other areas - even if it's just a rope such as at the exit of the top lift in Ste Foy (though even if you duck under that you can ski back round to the resort base)

edit -= eg. at the top of Grand Pre

https://maps.app.goo.gl/685Eci2QtW2uZ6Th6

It’s a few years since I was there, but are you sure that is the wording on the signs?
IIRC it’s more like “ off piste area beyond this point” without any reference to resort boundary. Of course it may have changed since I was last there.
ski holidays
@DCG, fair point, I'm not sure on the exact wording other than that it's saying "you should know what you're doing if you go this way"
ski holidays
@nbt, I agree with your interpretation of the sentiment being expressed in those signs. I’ve been past those many times following a guide but we have then been able to return to the lift system without a hike whereas someone without the knowledge might get into trouble.
So, I’m not sure that that could count as a boundary.
latest report
Probably we should allow this thread to return to the original topic rather than carrying on this discussion about boundaries. Apologies for having started the diversion!
latest report
Origen wrote:
Yes, the rescue thing doesn't work as a definition. There's no "free rescue" from pistes, either. But it's nice of them to send a heli to rescue a horse.

Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Back to MPI, I just saw this post on the Facebook Ski Club group. Only members of the group can see posts, so I've copied the relevant post here:

MPI Brokers Ltd
I've started a new post to update you all on my findings this week. I have emailed, and phoned without getting a response from the MPI Insurance office and the online portal to my account is not accessible. I have just spoken to the FCA and the link below shows the sanctions that have been placed on MPI since July, and they are overdue in responding to actions they need to put in place. It seems unlikely that any future claim would be upheld, therefore this insurance is invalid. You may be able to claim for compensation in the future. It was suggested that I email their complaints dept so that I have a record of this.
https://register.fca.org.uk/s/firm?id=001b000000MfXFLAA3#what-can-this-firm-do-restrictions (My comment - note the "Restriction on placing business with, or providing services to, overseas insurance undertakings" placed on the firm on 18th July).
snow report
Not sure how true that may be about existing policies being invalid, but doesn't sound good. Literally about to fly tomorrow, so have just grabbed a cheap single trip policy in case. Because sods law...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tubaski wrote:
Not sure how true that may be about existing policies being invalid, but doesn't sound good. Literally about to fly tomorrow, so have just grabbed a cheap single trip policy in case. Because sods law...

I assume from that you're current policy is with them. Was that the case at the PiPAU when you fell?
snow report
adithorp wrote:

I assume from that you're current policy is with them. Was that the case at the PiPAU when you fell?

Yes and yes. In the immediate aftermath everything was good (although in fairness all handled by a third party medical assistance firm). But I had to make some other claims for my cancelled trips in January and March, and some out of pocket expenses. There was nothing complicated about it, but it took them an age to settle, and even once they agreed the claim ages to actually pay it. My impression was that either the person dealing with my claim was overworked or just useless, rather than deliberate delaying tactics.
Previously I've found them very good and the policy cover excellent so I'm sorry to see them in trouble.
ski holidays
If that was the case with your pretty standard claim circumstances, I guess they'd really struggle with s less usual situation (drive out, then requiring flights home, if I recall correctly) and then the company/FCO issues on top.

How's your leg now? ..and you're wrist(?) @Wendyjh, ?
snow report
adithorp wrote:

How's your leg now?

Getting better thanks, still a little swelling and painful if I jump or slip - so not ski fit yet, but getting there.
snow report
It's 8 weeks today since I officially complained to MPI and the only contact I've had from them was the email I mentioned above - they've not responded to any emails and not answered the phone. I've raised a complaint with The Financial Ombudsman Service, let's see how that goes Sad
latest report
nbt wrote:
It's 8 weeks today since I officially complained to MPI and the only contact I've had from them was the email I mentioned above - they've not responded to any emails and not answered the phone. I've raised a complaint with The Financial Ombudsman Service, let's see how that goes Sad

My (modest) claim for emergency medical expenses, submitted in May 2024, remains unsettled despite numerous emails from me.

I therefore contacted FSCS who (surprisingly) advised me that MPI are still trading! Shocked

I have subsequently submitted a complaint to the Ombudsman and await a response.

The bigger problem, however, is that our annual multi-trip policy runs until early January 2025 but I have no confidence that we now have any valid travel insurance. I have therefore purchased separate (duplicate) cover for our trips since May and will do so again for our trips between now and the end of the year. The new policies are not expensive in themselves but will mean that we have spent another £250 or so on insurance cover, in addition to our annual policy with MPI that cost £680 rolling eyes . I think the situation is disgraceful but believe it is better to be safe than sorry.
snow conditions
@Bergmeister, I take it that you have written to MPI cancelling your insurance with them otherwise you could find yourself in the double insurance bind where your new insurer refuses to pay out because it is covered by the MPI's policy . My insurance with the BMC has a clause saying that if the risk is covered by another policy they will not cover you.
snow report
@johnE, I'm also moving to a new insurer but my MPI has a month left to run so was intending on emailing them "officially"
latest report
johnE wrote:
@Bergmeister, I take it that you have written to MPI cancelling your insurance with them otherwise you could find yourself in the double insurance bind where your new insurer refuses to pay out because it is covered by the MPI's policy . My insurance with the BMC has a clause saying that if the risk is covered by another policy they will not cover you.

I haven't... yet.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
@johnE, I'm also moving to a new insurer but my MPI has a month left to run so was intending on emailing them "officially"

It will be interesting to find out if they send a renewal letter. I am no longer insured with them, so can't remember if they send a reminder or not.
snow report
@Hells Bells, at the end of August I received the following email from them:

We are writing to inform you that your Multi Trip insurance policy is due to expire shortly.

It is with regret we have to inform you that we are currently not able to issue any new policies as we are in the process of moving insurers. However, once done, we expect to include all the usual great cover MPI offers, and hopefully some enhanced areas too!

If you are looking to travel shortly, please email us and we will endeavour to seek an alternative insurer for the time being.

To check your current expiring policy, please go to Your MPI account - www.mpibrokers.com, along the top you will see a drop down called ‘Logins’. If you hover over this, a menu will appear, select Your MPI. You will then be prompted to log in where you can view current and old policies.

We do apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause, and we will be in touch just as soon as we concluded matters with the new underwriter.

MPI Brokers Sales Team
latest report
@motyl, that link doesn't work but the one I've got doesn't have any login links any more

I just get this...

https://bolt.mpibrokers.com/?cfym=1%23/start#/start
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy