Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

you no helmet folks

Poster: A snowHead
@Hurtle, …spot on
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Very, very good skiers seem to be the ones in the often don't wear lids.

Their choice.

My observation and/or Very Jerry.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam wrote:
@Boris, I often see people learning and often see the skis shoot out from under them as they then fall backwards onto their coccyx, then their upper shoulders, followed by the coup de grace whiplash of the head to the snow, just like when learning to snowboard.

That’s one argument against wearing a helmet. The added weight of the helmet could potentially increase the risk of neck injury.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
@Boris, I often see people learning and often see the skis shoot out from under them as they then fall backwards onto their coccyx, then their upper shoulders, followed by the coup de grace whiplash of the head to the snow, just like when learning to snowboard.

That’s one argument against wearing a helmet. The added weight of the helmet could potentially increase the risk of neck injury.

Well, that and the extra leverage when you catch the edge of a helmet on something, like a kerbstone. My brother had a cycle accident one time where exactly that happened and he ended up with two crushed cervical vertebrae. I've never had the discussion with him (and never will) about whether the helmet saved him from head injury or made the neck injury worse, although I know that at the time he felt the former.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Chaletbeauroc, there is research on exactly that trade off
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Very, very good skiers seem to be the ones in the often don't wear lids.

Their choice.

My observation and/or Very Jerry.

My observation similar. Usually bald octogenarian Italian studs with silky hips and a diamond glint in their eyes!

That's why I'm a no "helmet" sort of guy! wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abc wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

Whereas it's fine to hit the back of your head on hardpack?

I took a long break from skiing and when I came back I started wearing a helmet. First week I caught an edge on a mostly hadrpacked red in a whiteout. I fell downhill and landed on my shoulders and then the back of the helmet. I felt at the time that in my younger days I would not have flopped in the same way, but flop I did, and I was very glad I was wearing it: I suspect I'd have had significant concussion without it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tsgsh wrote:
abc wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

Whereas it's fine to hit the back of your head on hardpack?

Yes, in relative terms.

Better than a broken neck and crushed vertebrae. (Having seen up close of someone who suffered from crushed vertebrae, and a mere “bruised” spinal cord, does change one’s perspective)

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 8-03-24 18:36; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've just replaced my Salomon helmet after 15 years. No dings or cracks, it was just old. My mate has a lid about 8 years old with some amazing dints in it but he insists it's still ok to use.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The only circumstance these days for NOT wearing a helmet is when wearing sunglasses . . .in this instance its the law as far as I'm concerned Toofy Grin

If I ever encounter the above combo species (irrespective of their chiselled skiing ability / Russian heiress good looks) I either pole click at drum & base RPM levels and/or simply ski as far away and as quickly as possible . . . . . . . . Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Belch wrote:
The only circumstance these days for NOT wearing a helmet is when wearing sunglasses . . .in this instance its the law as far as I'm concerned...

If you want to start that argument you'll need a whole new thread.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nah - thought I'd elevate this one - at least I'm consistent . . . Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm all for people doing what they want.

I wear a helmet for two reasons.

1. They keep my head warm.
2. The worst crash I've had was coming down towards the Folie in Val D'Isere where all the green runs funnel down to the lift. Trying to keep a steady speed on a snowboard (not quick as it's flat) and a kid about 7 or 8 lost control and cut straight across in front of me. Evasive action ended with me missing him but tomahawking down the hill for a bit. I dusted myself off to find loads of people checking I was ok. I was absolutely fine but it must have looked bad. When I checked my helmet later there was a huge dent in the top of it.

I hate to think the state the top of my head would have been in if I'd had a woolly hat on.

For me, it's the unpredictable stuff that's the reason to wear one.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulhinch wrote:
For me, it's the unpredictable stuff that's the reason to wear one

Agree - luckily I've never had a major crash since converting but the number of chairlift bar impacts by inconsiderate premature bar pullers in more recent years has justified wearing one . .
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It feels to me like luck get misunderstood as good decision making with helmets. Just like managing avalanche risk. Just because you don’t die doesn’t mean you made good decisions. It means you got lucky. Your luck may run out, so making good decisions is a much better way to do things.

Wrt sunnies and helmets, looks stupid but i make an exception for touring Toofy Grin It makes a bit more sense then but the sunnies do need to be really cool ones to pull it off Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

Just because you don’t die doesn’t mean you made good decisions.

Agreed, but being dead doesn't mean you made a bad decision.
ski holidays
for a dumb yank troll guess i’ve created quite a stir here Laughing
ski holidays
No, you've just shown yourself to be a a dumb yank troll
snow report
MorningGory wrote:
No, you've just shown yourself to be a a dumb yank troll

yup
ski holidays
Why are some people worried about how they look when wearing sunglasses with a helmet?
latest report
@halfhand, exactly, send in the fashion gendarmes, as i will be doing exactly this in a few weeks time when i am off skiing, i wear whatever eye protection is suitable for the conditions at the time, if it is sunny i will wear "sunnies" and all the people who this p!!!es off can go and get a life!!
snow report
@tsgsh, Told you it would work! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I should be a detonation expert . . . Toofy Grin

@hang11, Do you know what - I'm actually going to buckle on my own policy here and give you a prize for the most considered response ever to the helmet/sunnies combo conundrum. But surely the 'gnarliest' touring dudes/dudettes only wear sunnies/headbands on the way up and switch to a helmet/goggs for the 50 degree couloir descent?

@halfhand, @terrygasson, When you know, you just know. Tbf if we were all born equal then the world would be a boring place . . . . . . . Cool Cool Cool Cool Embarassed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy