Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gressoney La Trinite - honest reviews

Poster: A snowHead
When is the best time to purchase lifts passes to get the best discounts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@TOOTIE, I don't think there are early bird discounts. And as we discovered this year, buying the night before (with wind forecast) is not necessarily the best idea rolling eyes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Last winter there certainly were discounts. They operate dynamic pricing. We booked about 5-6 weeks in advance and a weeks pass was over £100 cheaper each
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@brownie, ah yes, that's true.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@TOOTIE, like many at Gnarli bash this year I ended up with a voucher (82 euros) for future use when the lifts were closed for two days. Most will hope to use it at some point (valid for next season) but I cannot make Gnarli in 2025 so would be happy to accept a very discounted price (transferred to my Snowheads account or other method) for it. Maybe if you post on the Gnarli thread you could get a couple more to make a cheap 6 day pass, I can't see any reason why the discount code cannot be given to someone else and used.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Why would you stay at Gressoney St Jean, which doesn't connect with the main skiing, when you can stay right beside a lift that does, at somewhere like Hotel Dufour (which was great when we were there).

The point of Gressoney/Alagna is the off piste. As a piste resort I can see it might be a bit short on mileage.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowball wrote:
Why would you stay at Gressoney St Jean, which doesn't connect with the main skiing, when you can stay right beside a lift that does, at somewhere like Hotel Dufour (which was great when we were there).

The point of Gressoney/Alagna is the off piste. As a piste resort I can see it might be a bit short on mileage.

St Jean because it’s a nicer village IMO and tends to be cheaper.

I know that Trinite has a lift but actually it’s slow to get from that lift to the anywhere other than the area above Trinite. Some people staying there end up getting the bus to Staffal sometimes anyway. Agree though it is convenient at the end of the day.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well, if you want to ski the Champeluc side it would be: waiting for the bus (how frequent?), then a long bus ride to Stafal, instead of two lifts and two pistes, and I can just about see the point. But on the Alagna side to get to Gabiet, its the long bus ride and then a long lift, instead of two lifts and two pistes to Gabiet. Much nicer, surely. Often it might be nicer to take the bus from G St Jean to the G la Trinité lift. And as you say, you just ski back to your hotel instead of catching another bus.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It’s less than 10 mins on the bus from Trinite to Staffal.

St Jean, Trinite and Staffal all have their pluses and minuses.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball wrote:
Well, if you want to ski the Champeluc side it would be: waiting for the bus (how frequent?), then a long bus ride to Stafal, instead of two lifts and two pistes, and I can just about see the point. But on the Alagna side to get to Gabiet, its the long bus ride and then a long lift, instead of two lifts and two pistes to Gabiet. Much nicer, surely. Often it might be nicer to take the bus from G St Jean to the G la Trinité lift. And as you say, you just ski back to your hotel instead of catching another bus.

You have some very odd ideas. In what world is it 2 lifts and 2 pistes to get from Gressoney la Trinite to Champoluc side? It's two lifts to get to Stafal, then a further 2 lifts from there to get to the ridge. And a few more pistes and lifts to get to Champoluc proper. Maybe you have not actually skied over that side.

If you had a car, staying in St Jean makes a lot of sense. It is a nice village with a few more options in terms of eating out. And probably quicker to drive to Stafal and take the lifts from there than using the slow lifts out of La Trinite. Both have their advantages though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@zikomo, they are very long, very slow lifts though!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@zikomo, they are very long, very slow lifts though!

That's what I said - the lifts out of Trinite are so slow I bet if you left St Jean at the same time in a car as someone left La Trinite you would get to Stafal first!

Not top do that sector down, we enjoy it a lot. And some god food options too....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@zikomo, @snowball's post is perfectly clear for someone not looking to get punchy about it. He believes in the convenience of taking a lift direct from the village, others differ about getting a bus to Staffal and faster lifts from there. Probably a good job because if everyone wanted to do the same thing wouldn't be an efficient use of the lift network.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes, I said quite clearly that both have their advantages. So I don't need a telling off from you for bein g "punchy". I was not. Simply pointed out that what @snowball was inaccurate and misleading, it is not 2 lifts and 2 pistes to reach the Champoluc side from Gressoney La Trinite.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
He clearly meant to reach the uplift at Staffal, at least that's how I read it, the clue being he was comparing it to the bus journey which wouldn't reach Champoluc itself either. But you waded in, in your usual denigrating style. So yes IMV punchy. I'm just punching back.
ski holidays
@zikomo, I clearly said I was describing getting to Stafal. After that the journey would be the same however you got to Stafal. Yes, even though I ski almost entirely off piste I obviously still have to use the lifts so I am familiar with them.
I didn't say it would be quicker to take the lifts, just nicer. People are there to ski so I imagine enjoy doing more of it.
Similarly on the journey to the Alagna side I only mentioned the lifts to Gabiet. I'm surprised you didn't also point out there would be another lift after that to get to the col. After all I am clearly so stupid.
snow report
@snowball, I think you'll have to take zikomo's silence as the closest he ever gets to an apology.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@snowball, I think you'll have to take zikomo's silence as the closest he ever gets to an apology.

What, exactly, is your problem? You seem to be choosing to have a go at me at every opportunity.

I was factual in my post. There is nothing to apologise for. The comparison was between staying in Gressoney La Trinite and Gressoney St Jean, with the example given on hos long it would take to reach the Champoluc slopes. I still think there are pros and cons to staying in both villages. Lat Trinite is very small with few services, but has direct access to the slopes. Albeit using two low capacity and slow lifts. St Jean is bigger and has a few more options in terms of shops and restaurants, but you have to take a bus or drive to access the main area. Whats the problem with any of that?

I still think it you drive fron St Jean to Staffal you would get to Champoluc quicker than if you took the lifts out of St Jean. But that is not to say one is better than the other.

You also seem to forget that the decision to stay in St Jean was questioned in a rather unpleasant way, which I though was odd and uncalled for.
snow report
If you can't see what aspects of your post were unnecessarily combative then I really can't help you.

FWIW I agree with you on various swings and roundabouts of different choices. There is rarely an absolute winner in terms of choice of location in a broader area and a lot depends on your available resources e.g. car vs more money to stay slopeside, eating in situ vs choice of options to wander to.
snow report
Where would Snowheads who've skied the Monterosa region place it in their Top 10 ?

Also if you could clarify if that's because of the on/off piste or a combination.

Cheers Very Happy
snow conditions
@Jammy 07, I don’t have a “top 10” …

I like it because of the food!
snow report
@Jammy 07, as an on piste skier who has skied rather extensively the Western Alps, rather low. My SH room mate with an ever longer and wider experience than mine was rather unimpressed as well and doesn't plan to return in the close future.
I am sure off piste skiers in a good snow week have a blast, still it took the local authorities 2 days to open the area when it snowed heavily - might be an excellent place to choose as a last moment decision from Milan.
I noticed plenty of cars from France and CH, probably due to the off piste factor
I don't regret getting there, the pistes were nice and I enjoyed the challenges plus the laid back atmosphere.
The food was excellent, so were the drinks Madeye-Smiley
Next time I might stay in GSJ because la Trinite felt very small, but only if I'll have a designated driver. The apres drinks and atmosphere in the 2 places I previously mentioned were super.
latest report
@under a new name,
Certainly seems to be some great places to eat, both on the mountains and in the villages.

Now how about the wine !!!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 3-06-24 9:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@drporat,
It's always the conundrum when choosing smaller ski areas of trying to get the balance right between the type and extent of pistes, food, scenery and how the general mood and feel of the area is as a whole.

The larger ski areas obviously have their down sides as well.

Thanks again for the input as it's much appreciated.
snow report
@Jammy 07, they have a lovely native red, Le Petite Rouge.
All in all, it is an enjoyable ski area, especially if luck strikes and you arrive a few days after a decent snow fall
ski holidays
@Jammy 07, was rather pleased to discover that Novez price one of their nicer white wines just above the retail price in the Crai supermarket (although that probably says more about Crai's pricing - advice buy at least in the Conad in Verres).

Big fans of Gattinara as well Happy (From just below Alagna)
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@Jammy 07, was rather pleased to discover that Novez price one of their nicer white wines just above the retail price in the Crai supermarket (although that probably says more about Crai's pricing - advice buy at least in the Conad in Verres).

Big fans of Gattinara as well Happy (From just below Alagna)

The mark up on wines in Italy usually puts the UK to shame and even in France you're better off having a nice bottle of wine rather than drinking 3/4 beers in my opinion.
snow report
Jammy 07 wrote:
Where would Snowheads who've skied the Monterosa region place it in their Top 10 ?

In terms of the sheer interest / quality (rather than quantity) of the piste skiing, I'd place Monterosa in my Top 10.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As an off-piste skier, there are probably ten times as many off piste routes as on piste ones, and many of them are quite wild, in valleys you can't ski as a piste skier. A couple need a rope to enter. Until they put a piste down the Alagna Valley it was sometimes called the Italian La Grave. Easily in my top ten.
snow conditions
Jammy 07 wrote:

Also if you could clarify if that's because of the on/off piste or a combination.

Cheers Very Happy

I skied it after what locals described as the best snowfall in several years (I think my guide said since 2018?). Am lucky enough to do a lot of last minute trips when there's been heavy snow and had probably been waiting to ski Monterosa for about 10 years.

Granted I was only off piste on the Champoluc side day 1 as nothing else opened, and then only skied pistes the next day but I wouldn't put it in my top ten. Has a nice charm for sure and each of the valleys feels a bit different, Alagna in particular has a different vibe and very different views once you crest the ridge. Champoluc has a homely feel. But the skiing as a whole is nothing to write home about.

Even in terms of quiet Italian resorts, personally I preferred a not dissimilar resort across the valley, La Thuile. Loads of steep blacks into the resort and some very good off piste above La Rosiere. Skiing just felt less constricted. Still quiet chilled vibe in the resort and on the pistes. Both suffered from, imo, slow lifts at key places.

All of that said @denfinella has skied more resorts, and probably more obscure Italian resorts than I've had hot dinners, so if she rates it in top ten it definitely has something. i would like to come back and do more above Alagna but even then its the kind of place that would suffer from very high powder competition so you're probably better off elsewhere.
latest report
Some great responses above so many thanks to everyone and really interesting and informative to get differing opinions.
latest report
@Jammy 07, You should definitely ski it, definitely worth a visit and interesting place. If nothing else you will find out which side of the above divide you will fall on! Also, there are many ski trips and many resorts so you will get a chance to tick most of them off. Better to ski somewhere new than repeatedly ski somewhere you like I think. Skiing is always fun wherever you are.

I also found the different cultures in the valleys interesting. Champoluc appears to be quite french, their dialect is apparently quite close to french and you pass a town with a full on french name on the way up. Then Gressoney is apparently quite germanic and Alagna feels like its own unique principality.
latest report
I should perhaps qualify what I said. When it hasn't snowed for a long time it isn't worth going for the off piste. It happened once and we had to move the holiday.
latest report
Enjoyed reading this thread ... I'll add by bit.
Have stayed in Gressoney probably 4 or 5 times ... once at Nordend Hotel in Staffal and other times at Dufour in Gressoney (2 or 3 of those on Gnarlibug).
Nordend is good modern hotel ... small but good sauna area ... good food and great bar nearby opposite the guides office. 5 minute walk to gondola or cable car.
Dufour is excellent ... lovely rooms, food and spa area. Reasonable bar next door ... but no real apres vibe anywhere. 2 minute walk to slow chair.
I think ski area is excellent ... but offpiste is very dependant on snow conditions which in recent years have been pretty poor when I have been. First time I went was by far the best ... loads of snow up Indren and the narrow gulley back to Staffal easily passable. We took heli to Monte Rosa and skied to Zermatt and back via Cervinia - awesome day trip.
Most of the other trips the offpiste has been very limited and the gulley back impassable.
I like the piste skiing ... definite sense of travel over a large area with plenty of nice restaurants but easily covered in a few days if you want to blast around.
I will definitely return ... but will book late to make sure snow is good. Need some good early season storms to get a good base ... its generally cold enough there just been too dry the last few years.
ski holidays
Yes, I agree about booking late. My friends and I now decide where we will ski at the last moment in January and February. December just before Christmas, based in Ste Foy with transport has been the best snow and skiing of the year, four years running (and I'm told it was the same the two years before that), and March is now the Spring Off Piste Bash.
latest report
denfinella wrote:
Jammy 07 wrote:

In terms of the sheer interest / quality (rather than quantity) of the piste skiing, I'd place Monterosa in my Top 10.

full bragggggg alert...

Ive taken seasonal rentals in Serre Cher... Cham...Nendez...Engelberg...Alagna but ended up buying above Stafal
unfortunately not every year is a classic year, seems like every 3/4 years she gives out the goodies but nowadays you have to plan much more carefully and get on it when it happens as the temperature swings destroy the fresh.

For sure my days of ticking off pages from "polvere rosa" are over...but that might have more to do with having a better understanding of what lower hanging fruit will be the sweetest... and my age ...mainly.
snow report
@Super Steezy,
Wow great stuff and sincerely hope you'll have many happy years there as it does look a wonderful place.

Quick question though and that is we're planning on visiting from 4th Jan for a week so will it be quiet on the slopes ? Another option is to arrive on the 2nd Jan and maybe stay 8 or 9 nights but we're a bit concerned that the tail end of the New Year holidays will be rather busy.

Obviously early January is a bit of a gamble snow wise but hey we've been lucky elsewhere in Italy the last few years so hoping our good fortune continues.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy