Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow 2010/11 - latest webcams post 1

Poster: A snowHead
Just been looking for a good piste map for Cairngorm as i really couldn't figure it out, found the one on their website confusing, but i have just come across this!

First of all load up Google Earth.
Then click on this link ----> http://www.my-place.org.uk/ski/cairngorm/index.shtml
Then click "Google Earth Overlay Showing The Lifts"
Install it (took about 10 seconds)
Then "run the program"
Go back onto Google Earth and it shoult have the Lifts and each run with colours of Piste's marked on it!!1

Hope this will be of some use to some people,

Enjoy!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MoodyFFS wrote:
Any chance the current rain on the webcams turning to snow... temps are dropping, but are they dropping quick enough?

Apparently should be snow above 900 metres tomorrow and the freezing level should continue dropping over the next few days Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
roga, excellent! Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
MoodyFFS, woo hoo!!! Bring it on!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ricklovesthepowder, just had a look at that Google Earth thing, which is very good - i cant seem to get my Google Earth to "tilt" anymore... am probably just being thick!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice vid from Glenshee:

http://youtube.com/v/_8c7Yek2vQc
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MoodyFFS wrote:
Ricklovesthepowder, just had a look at that Google Earth thing, which is very good - i cant seem to get my Google Earth to "tilt" anymore... am probably just being thick!

Top right hand corner there is a joypad looking thing with an "eye shaped" centre, use that, drag it up and down etc win zoomed in on a certain place.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some photos from CairnGorm Mountain on Sunday are up on Winterhighland. Mid and Upper Mountain still has an extensive though no longer total cover, but the principle runs have a wide cover. Ciste Gully, East Wall Gully 1 &2 and West Wall all complete down to and in the case of the Ciste Gully a long way below the boardwalk, weather settling down as we move towards mid-week so it's hoped the West Wall Poma will make it's belated new year debut this coming weekend.

Sometimes you need a sense of humor when it comes to the Scottish Mountains, here's what you missed on Sunday:

http://youtube.com/v/iPn36vPI6Ng
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
roga, nice vid, any idea of what they used to film it? Helmet mounted or????
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, your guess is as good as mine Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
roga,

Looks really quiet for a Saturday!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is there any long range forecast for snow over the ski resorts?

Everything has been hurt by the thaw and i think i'll be doing my snow dance to see if it works
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
1873Chris, I go 3 weeks tomorrow and looking at the webcams it's starting to look a little thin to say the least! Hopefully the temperatures will drop and it will start to snow again soon, fingers crossed!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1873Chris, not much seemingly in the offing although Tuesday into Wednesday could see a bit, but likely to be light then perhaps a wee bit at the weekend as well. Forecasts vbeing forecasts though it could be wrong and we might see nothing or we might see more than suggested - fingers crossed for the latter!

Anyway, sounds like there's a bit about at Cairngorm today and it's deffo colder:

Quote:
Weather Conditions
Monday 17th January, Top Station Weather: Wind 30 - 40mph -2.0c, drifting snow above Cas level.
Light snow at Car Park level, +1.0c

Run Conditions
Lower slopes are not advised for beginners due to the thin & icy conditions in places, recommended for intermediates and experts only.
General the snowpack has hardened with icy patches and some pockets of fresh drifted snow.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ricklovesthepowder, plenty of time yet Toofy Grin
ski holidays
roga, West is Best....

From MWIS for today

Snow and hail showers; concentrated on western mountains in the morning, where showers will be frequent with small risk lightning. Mostly rain below 500m.

and tomorrow

Snow and hail showers, for a few hours heavy and frequent, especially western hills. Rain below 500m.
ski holidays
roga, I know. I'm not worried yet as 3 weeks is a long time, especially in Scotland!!! Let's just hope for amfood dump a few days before I arrive.
snow conditions
Winterhighland, loved the video, thanks. It wasn't just Moffat that had spate rivers flowing where rivers shouldn't be flowing then. Smile

Flew down to Birmingham this morning ... there're a good few summit drifts and cornices left on the Southern Uplands but they don't have the cover that the Highlands have still got. Oh for a few hundred more metres in my back yard.
latest report
Sunday was really nice - warm, sunny and not too windy in the forest, though a bit breezy out on the moor. We ran a 2.5km sprint in classic style at the Clashindarroch on good spring snow at ~300m asl. Winning time was 12:57 from one of the junior ladies and several of the under 14 boys were not far behind.

For xc skiers the Clash still has decent snow on most of the trails, though there are now some broken sections and a walk in is needed to reach the snow. May become a little hairy on track skis if/when it freezes hard.

There are some pictures on winterhighland in the backcountry reports section from telemarker that give an idea of the conditions.
latest report
johnboy,

It was, really quiet! Spent the trip up telling my mate (who hadn't been to Glenshee before, but has been to Glencoe, Nevis and Cairngorm) that it would probably be busy but hopefully not as bad as Cairngorm. This was an average queue Laughing

http://picasaweb.google.com/neil2829/Glenshee8Jan2011#5562184038503500194

because this was how full the car park was:

http://picasaweb.google.com/neil2829/Glenshee8Jan2011#5562191342379048034

(in shade at the far right of the photo)

Nice sunset too:

http://picasaweb.google.com/neil2829/Glenshee8Jan2011#5562191356804476146

Sunday at Glencoe was quiet and sunny too, but with more fresh snow Razz

http://picasaweb.google.com/neil2829/Glencoe9thJan2011#5562200860382973058
snow report
looking very bare on the webcams off the marked piste today at Cairngorm, still no snow forecast either Sad
latest report
what...snow, nice photos - looks like you almost had the mountain to yourselves!

There's an interesting piece on the new Glencoe tranceiver park and an interview with Glencoe supremo Andy Meldrum from BBC Radio Scotland's Out of Doors programme on BBC iPlayer. The tranceiver park segment is on 1hr in and the Andy Meldrum interview starts at 1hr 20:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00xgk8z/Out_of_Doors_15_01_2011/
ski holidays
Ricklovesthepowder, there is no point there being any snow there now! We're not there!

Apologies to the lucky boogers who get to simply go when the snow is good! Smile
snow report
Much colder today and the forecast for the next week or so seems to be keeping it cold, this is good in as far as it's arrested the thaw but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of fresh coming in the near future.

However, there has been some fresh at Cairngorm but not enough to majorly improve coverage lower down, mid mountain up remains good though. Word is that pisted runs are surprisingly good but off piste pretty hard and not pleasant. Some piccies here: http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2527

Now that was the pretty good news from the East, the news from the west is even better. There's been a far bigger snowfall there and word has it that Nevis have a good 10cm of fresh in the goose gully and above. There are also some nice piccies coming out of Glencoe (see the Spring Run below) and here's the latest snow report:
Quote:
What a difference a couple of days make.

Heavy snow since Sunday evening has dramatically improved conditions across the whole mountain.

Spring Run, Main Basin and Happy valley are in great shape with lots of fresh powdery snow and the occasional icy patch.

Rannoch glades is a bit windswept at the top so is currently closed.

The wall is in great condition at the top but is a little thin at the bottom.

The "old" and "new" mugs alley are complete but thin and narrow in places.

All the plateau runs are complete - still narrow in places but filling in well.

All lifts are expected to run tomorrow subject to demand.

The weather for the next couple of days is looking great - very little wind and sunshine.

snowHead
latest report
roga, just found out I might be in NYC the day before my trip to Cairngorm... And thus may be in jeopardy... Sad
snow report
Thats good news about the temps dropping. Im sure than at some point in th enext 3 weeks there will be some snowfall for me!!!
snow report
MoodyFFS wrote:
roga, just found out I might be in NYC the day before my trip to Cairngorm... And thus may be in jeopardy... Sad

NYC being New York I presume?

Not sure if that'll be a bummer or pretty cool for ya but I hope it won't screw up your plans!
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Thats good news about the temps dropping. Im sure than at some point in th enext 3 weeks there will be some snowfall for me!!!

Fingers crossed ... and some for me Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Oi, save some for me you two!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well NYC is now not happening (Birmingham, Cork and NYC in 3 days seems unlikely)... so Scotland back on and the precipitation rumbles certainly increasing in the runs even if they are a long way out still...

latest report
that chart above would do me... i've got feb 4th off work to go skiing Very Happy
latest report
shoogly, me too as I'm up on the weekend of the 5th Smile

*crosses fingers*
snow conditions
MoodyFFS, good to hear that.

Fingers crossed for that precipitation, the base is there and so is the cold so all we need is a bit of fresh - all positive really ... although off-piste is only good for ice climbers at the moment unfortunately!
snow report
This posted 3 hours ago via @CairngormMtn

Quote:
All uplift open except WWP & DLP. 15-25mph 0c. Great skiing on top half of the hill still skiing top 2 bottom. Super pisting for all levels!

p.s. Twitter is brilliant for snow updates!
snow conditions
MoodyFFS wrote:
p.s. Twitter is brilliant for snow updates!

Yeah I must sign up for it, will be especially useful once I get my new Blackberry ...
snow report
At least looking at the graph the temp is mostly below freezing, also the precipitation would be a bonus to freshen things up. Does anyone know if they are skiing 9, 10 and 11th feb yet? Can't wait 3 weeks today I will be on the slopes (hopefully with a load of snow). Is there are rally driving centres up near aviemore way at all? Fancy giving it a go if I can!
snow conditions
Here's the latest from Colin @ Cairngorm (filmed Wednesday 19th Jan):

http://youtube.com/v/vjX9bh5S9gI&a

snowHead
snow report
Top half looks in great condition... Just need a few freshies between now and my visit! Smile
snow conditions
well thats sounding promising. Lets hope for the fresh snowfalls now Very Happy
snow conditions
I'm en route to Nevis range at the moment and really can't wait to try out my new skis Smile
Anyone else heading up?
ski holidays
Another Cairngorm report on Wingterhighland from Hilly: http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2530
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy