Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2023/24. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Tigne Team,

Last year I got a wonderful transfer to Tignes Le Lac with Snowdrone (from Geneva), but this year I've regrettably booked flights into Chambrey. Turns out transfer from Chambrey are mega money (£1000 plus return) and no shared transfers about, so we've decided to hire a car.

Having never driven to the resort before, is there anything I should know for the journey? I.e, am I going to get stung by some expensive tolls, and will I likely need snow chains etc?

I've booked parking in Tignes Le Lac 3. Flight arrives at Chambrey 13:00pm on the 17th of Feb.

First time travelling with my 7-month old baby too. Be honest, should I reconsider? At this stage considering forgetting about the Chambrey flight and rebooking to Geneva for an easy life.

Cheers Team
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi @Wrighty1994 - yes, you'll need chains. Just in case. Tolls are €6 each way. The drive is a doddle if the weather plays ball! Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That does seem quite expensive for a transfer, but it is 7 hours drive from Chambrey to Tignes. You may want to re-check whether you've been quoted for Chambrey or Chambéry...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
As of now - 0:29h CET Friday night/Saturday morning it is not snowing in Val Diz. There is a chill breeze blowing, but it's still quite warm.

Made it to Lo Soli today (well yesterday I suppose technically). The injured people are still in hospital, but if I understood the head waitress properly the injuries aren't as bad as originally feared. Still bad though.

The Lo Soli is under completely new management this year - and all the staff are new too. There is also a completely new menu - and the Gateaux de Agneau is no longer on it Mad . This is going to take some getting used to. rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Wrighty1994, As for traffic density - it is going to be busy, you are arriving at peak travel time. Check out savoie-route.fr this afternoon at 1400 - you will see what you are facing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Okey Dokey a bit of a deeper dive into the forecast - its complicated as it's a messy picture - so Wednesday there are so many variations in forecasts that it is rapidly approaching witchcraft rather than science. Currently, there's a warm wind in the valley and little or no snow about - which is good news for those arriving today - the roads already look busy. It will remain cloudy and there should be a few flocons overnight, starting early evening - but not a lot. Sunday will be a lot cooler, cloudy but a stiff breeze remains. Forecasts of snow amounts vary from little to 15cm - let's go for 10! Through the night into Monday the light snow ma continue, Monday will be mostly grey with the odd glimpse of the sun perhaps. An odd light snow shower after dark if we are lucky. Tuesday should see quite a bit of sun with a few clouds ambling about the peaks and at high level. Wednesday may be similar or it could be heavy snow showers depending on how the high pressure collapses - anyone got a coin?

For those travelling tomorrow, no problems at the Alpine airports, but dank and drear in the UK early on - almost anywhere fog could form which would slow things up at the busiest airports. Which airports will be affected - thats the conundrum!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all

Not weather related so apologies but wanting to pick the brains of the Val experts. We are heading there mid march and our accommodation is a 10 minute walk to the lifts. Are there any ski lockers for rent around the front de neige area? Don't mind the walk, but just ideally not in ski boots.
Failing that, can anyone recommend a ski hire shop as a couple of us need to hire some planks as well that have storage?

Cheers!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fridge03 wrote:
Hi all

Not weather related so apologies but wanting to pick the brains of the Val experts. We are heading there mid march and our accommodation is a 10 minute walk to the lifts. Are there any ski lockers for rent around the front de neige area? Don't mind the walk, but just ideally not in ski boots.
Failing that, can anyone recommend a ski hire shop as a couple of us need to hire some planks as well that have storage?

Cheers!

Answered on t'other thread on this.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just arrived in Tignes tonight. The traffic was an absolute disaster. We left Beaune this morning at 09.15 and it was slow. The cops closed one lane outside Notre Dame de Briançon, which caused a massive hour long tailback. When Waze and Google maps suggested detours the cops were blocking the roads and sending us back into the jam, or had barriers down and exits closed...
On any other day, what is a 393km journey and 4h15 minutes drive ended up being an 8 hour 10 minute (with short breaks) drive...

Anyway, looking forward to a great week's holidays. We had a few flakes of snow arriving and 2-3cm snow, was hoping for more (Bergfex was forecasting 20cm)...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We arrived and all worked well. Now trying to work out what to do about lessons. My daughter solidly refused when booking holiday, so I gave up trying. In car on way down she asks whether she can have some.

Going to call round for some private hours over lunch.

@mullins, It won’t help but our drive up (via D470, A404, Annecy) was the easiest ever. Left Chalons-en-champagne 8am. Short stops a couple of times but much easier than the motorway via Lyon etc.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mullins wrote:
When Waze and Google maps suggested detours the cops were blocking the roads and sending us back into the jam, or had barriers down and exits closed...

Very simple reasons for this - 1. To try and keep the secondary roads somewhat fluid (they would immediately get gridlocked if all exits were left open and everyone was left to do what they please) so that locals who live along those back roads have a chance (albeit slim) of going about our daily business and 2 - more importantly - to try and maintain access possibilities for emergency vehicles…

*edit for mountainaddict's benefit...*

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 11-02-24 11:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@offpisteskiing, indeed, its a regular thing in Salzburg area on a saturday all year round
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
Very simple reasons for this - 1. To try and keep the secondary roads somewhat fluid (they would immediately get gridlocked) so that locals who live along those back roads have a chance (albeit slim) of going about our daily business
So it doesn't work and the back roads still get gridlocked? Thankfully, I've only ever had to get to France ski accommodation once on a February Saturday, but that was over 20 years ago. Once was enough though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Very simple reasons for this - 1. To try and keep the secondary roads somewhat fluid (they would immediately get gridlocked) so that locals who live along those back roads have a chance (albeit slim) of going about our daily business
So it doesn't work and the back roads still get gridlocked? Thankfully, I've only ever had to get to France ski accommodation once on a February Saturday, but that was over 20 years ago. Once was enough though.

No you are misunderstanding (edited post to clarify...) - if all the slip roads were left open, and people could go wherever they pleased then yes, the secondary roads would very quickly get gridlockled... As it is it is still problematic as everyone tries to be smart and go down the back roads, but way less of a problem than if it was a free for all.
I still avoid travelling 'down valley' on Feb Saturday's as far as possible, and was very happy when nº1 son decided not to continue at Albertville rugby club after one season playing there (training & matches on Saturdays, bien sur!).

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 11-02-24 15:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cheers for clarifying @offpisteskiing.
ski holidays
Hi, I'm visiting Val claret for 1 day only (a Saturday) do I need to book parking in advance or can I just turn up and pay?
snow conditions
Hi@Canuck, you can just turn up and pay.

On Saturdays, most holidaymakers spend the day parked on the D902 (see posts above) so there's likely to be space free. If you park in Les Brevieres rather than Val Claret you can spend an extra half hour skiing instead of driving.

Where are you driving from and at what time?
ski holidays
Glorious day's snowboarding today, and even did a couple black runs which I usually avoid. Are the black runs here true black runs? I noticed on some of the older piste maps up on the mountain Crocus, Combe Folle and others are marked as reds, but on some maps they are marked as black...
The ones I tried yesterday were fine (Cretes, Combes Folle, Johann Clary) and makes me question why I was hesitant in doing blacks the last couple of years.
Going to try a few more this week as a result.
Any recommendations for ones that aren't like black diamonds...? I will likely be snowboarding them in the afternoons as I have my daughter with me in the morning.
Thanks heads!
latest report
@mullins,

Cretes & Combes Folle were reds. I believe that these 2 runs have been upgraded to blacks because they lead on to Johann Clary. J Clary is only black because the bottom section of it is very steep as it drops down left off a narrow "path" into Tignes Le Lac. All of these runs are pisted every night which means they do not have any moguls on them until later in the day.

Similarly the "Face" in Val d'isere is pisted every night and is only a black because there is one section which is very steep (again a drop off to the left) off a narrow path.

All of the other black runs in the Tignes/Val d'isere area are true black runs because they have steep sections which are not pisted and are mogul fields.
ski holidays
welshflyer wrote:
@mullins,
Similarly the "Face" in Val d'isere is pisted every night and is only a black because there is one section which is very steep (again a drop off to the left) off a narrow path.

Love the idea that face is not a true black Laughing

Almost all the runs are pisted at least occasionally - but often the decision is both condition and classification dependent, eg the bumps have become too big for the classification.

How difficult a run is is very dependent on snow conditions and skier/boarder ability in those conditions. Black just implies that at least in some likely conditions a skier below some reference ability is likely to find some significant section of the run challenging. That could be bumps, ice, steepness, or terrain. The same skier could find a given piste fun or virtually unskiable dependent on conditions.
latest report
@turbosmurf,

I agree with you that the difficulty of a run "depends on the snow conditions". I have tried to simplify things for those who do not know the area or what the snow conditions have been.

I am trying to convey the fact that "Mullins" has snowboarded "blacks" that are probably easier than the"normal blacks" in the area if that makes sense.

Another example of knowing the local conditions is knowing that the worst time to ski the bottom section of the Face is in mid December just after they have run the Mens World Cup GS and Slalom. Like other race courses they inject water into the slope to create ice for the race course. Similarly the OK run to La Daille is icy in December because it is used as the Womens World Cup Downhill Race.
snow conditions
A couple of weeks back there were warning notices about J. Clarey piste at the top of toviere and in the gondola station.

This was after the rain and freeze/thaw cycles. It was an ice-fest and well deserving of its "Black" status.
ski holidays
GeorgeVII wrote:
A couple of weeks back there were warning notices about J. Clarey piste at the top of toviere and in the gondola station.

This was after the rain and freeze/thaw cycles. It was an ice-fest and well deserving of its "Black" status.

I avoid going down that piste at all costs.

I’m not one of those people who ‘has something to prove’ to themselves or others by doing it. I know i can ski it, i’ve done it a few times, but not everyone there can handle it and i dont trust most people having seen horrendous attempts and nearly been taken out by a straightlining idiot on it in the past, hence my avoidance of it (more to the point, avoidance of the people)
snow report
welshflyer wrote:
@turbosmurf,
I am trying to convey the fact that "Mullins" has snowboarded "blacks" that are probably easier than the"normal blacks" in the area if that makes sense.

Right, I see what you meant - although Johan Clarey and Face can both be pretty challenging for many when the snow is very firm - as it often is.
snow conditions
@welshflyer - that's very interesting on them pumping water into it. I remember skiing the Lauberhorn a few years ago a week after a World cup race and being amazed at how hard and icy it was.

Seems someone had a bad fall on J Clary this evening at 17h15. I had my back to the mountain but a number of ppl reacted and and 3-4 started running up the hill... I hope the person was not injured badly...
ski holidays
A sort of slack lazy high pressure dominates for the next few days - so not a lot to say on the weather really. Tomorrow will be mostly if not totally cloudy and overcast (the odd glimpse of the sun maybe?) wth light winds and unseasonably warm temps. Friday looks similar if a little more cloudy with a few sunny spells by the end of the day. Saturday looks hassle free for transfers, sunny spells and a bit cooler out of the sun. The jury is still out on Sunday as to the exact detail - but a mix of sunny spells and cloud. Beyond that there may be a bit of snow on Monday but later in the week the jetstream moves south, suggesting that there might be some snow towards the end of the week.
ski holidays
Crikey, there’s now a wolf on Double M!

https://www.ledauphine.com/insolite/2024/02/14/une-dameuse-nez-a-nez-avec-un-loup-sur-une-piste-a-tignes
snow conditions
mullins wrote:
Glorious day's snowboarding today, and even did a couple black runs which I usually avoid. Are the black runs here true black runs? I noticed on some of the older piste maps up on the mountain Crocus, Combe Folle and others are marked as reds, but on some maps they are marked as black...
The ones I tried yesterday were fine (Cretes, Combes Folle, Johann Clary) and makes me question why I was hesitant in doing blacks the last couple of years.
Going to try a few more this week as a result.
Any recommendations for ones that aren't like black diamonds...? I will likely be snowboarding them in the afternoons as I have my daughter with me in the morning.
Thanks heads!

Crocus shouldn’t be a black run bevause it’s really not steep or hard and also because it intersects Henri so you can take a blue at the end of it. Crete shouldn’t have been upgraded because it’s quite easy to get to violettes; you don’t get stuck needing to get down via Johan Clarey, which is a true black on it’s day. Combe folle being upgraded is understandable since the drag lift next to it often doesn’t run; leaving Johan Clarey as the only way home.

These changes mean that Tignes now has a number of easier black runs. Descente, Lognan, Cretes, Crocus, Combe folle, pramecou are all as easy as many reds in the resort in all honesty.

There has clearly been a concerted effort to relabel the pistes in the resort as there have been changes in Val too. The lower half of Signal should still be a red rather than black as it’s no harder than petit bois. They’ve changed mangard and verte from blue to red and green to blue respectively, which is reasonable.

Tignes and Val used to be widely considered “under graded” but I am not convinced that’s true anymore given all the changes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chocksaway that's amazing on the wolf!

@VTskier all of what you say makes sense to me...

@all having a great week so far. What's the best escape plan for Saturday to try and limit the carnage on the roads?
snow report
@mullins, Leave at 7pm on Friday, though a few will be doing the same as it’s a Parisian week.
Other than that, if you’re not out by 7am you’ll be queueing.
snow conditions
Looks like the wolf may no longer be hungry. He was seen in the early hours of this morning eating a fox on Grande Pre.
Life’s never dull driving a piste basher!
latest report
Does anyone know from experience of past seasons, when the Boisses Bubble closes? We’re skiing in Tignes/Les Boisses through 21st-27th April and heard it closes on the 26th April - is this accurate Puzzled

Seems odd as on the website it says spring skiing until the 5th May
ski holidays
@tanvir786, I can confirm that it was open on 29/4 last year as we skied down to Brev and caught both bubbles back up. Might have been open even later, but we didn’t go that way the last few days.
ski holidays
@VTSkier, on the regrading I noticed a large number of changes this week. Even my daughter noticed Crocus didn’t look hard enough for her not to ski it and she’s good but lacks confident.

It’s very slushy lower down today with brown patches showing through in Val and Val Claret. That’s not a good sign!
ski holidays
@AndrewBailey, do you mean brown patches in Val d'Isere?
latest report
@mullins as Chocks says LEAVE REALLY early if you haven't gone already!
snow report
@Kramer, Sorry. Was typing whilst drinking vin chaud in “Tignes 1550” which was a slush fest when we left about 3.30.
Brown patches in Val d’Isere next to Solaise at 12.30. Also saw some in Val Claret.
A few stones coming up on lower runs into resorts. Very like early spring skiing. That said it was great through the day and only the final run intoLes Brevierres was heavy going.

We are skiing tomorrow after checking out of the apartment. Going to go to the snow park so slush won’t be a worry.

Final news - son 2 had lesson on moguls. All good he said but Piste S has waist high moguls. Instructor who has been lovely this week said it wasn’t fun so assume he had to try for a change.
latest report
Steve Angus wrote:
@mullins as Chocks says LEAVE REALLY early if you haven't gone already!

Left at 06h30 this morning. Kids starting vomiting with the mountain roads rolling eyes
There was no traffic until Bellentre and then all other resorts traffic merged into the road. It took 2 hours to do the first 49km where they had a traffic calming traffic light...

You really do need to leave earlier... 11 hour drive to home. Lesson hopefully learned. Traffic on the way up looked brutal and there were traffic jams up from 09h00...
Great week all in all. Will start planning the next trip soon!
snow report
We left yesterday at 0600 and got to the back of the jam at 0700 just at Aime, we got through in about 15 minutes just in time for our 3 year old to vomit! We will aim for 0530 next year as we are tied to school hols. Traffic the other way was crazy.
ski holidays
7.5hr from Chambrey to Tignes le lac on Saturday for friends who landed at 10am. 7 hours for me, the mrs and the 7month old baby from Chambrey landing at 5pm. Potentially has put me off ever coming back to Tignes. I knew not to travel on a Saturday, but that was something else.

Pistes in generally good nick today though which was pleasant, but the drive has left for a real bitter taste in the mouth.

We fly home from Chambrey next Saturday at 17:10, should we leave on the Friday evening and get a hotel over that way just in case?

Such a shame!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy