Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2023/24 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
dunc999 wrote:
Snow has been holding up really well so far, especially first lifts, but very slushy this afternoon on anything south facing and low.
Our Hotel is on the 151 home run which is pretty lumpy! But any fellow Brits read this, it's a rubbish area and you definitely shouldn't come out!!

Agree. Totally terrible. Awful. Hate it. Don't come.

Genuinely surprised how well it's holding up in this weather though! Anyone tried the 2/2a right down to vorderglemm? I wanted to take the other half across to leogang tomorrow and it'd be perfect if we can use it but feared it'd be slushy/icy hell.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We did 2a at about 1:30 yesterday, it was OK but slushy in places, not icy though. Band in the Soul House right now are awesome!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gow87,

Its not that bad if you walk slowly Very Happy , then you get a view of the night skiing too

Xandal in the evening

I would be happy with the Under Schwarzach Hof too
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is the public bus from airport to Saalbach generally very busy on a Saturday? Don’t really want to prebook and pay as we will check first with reps at airport to see if any space and then decide what suits best.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gilly28, you can’t prebook the public bus, you can buy a ticket in advance or buy on the bus.

The bus can be busy, however with the increase in service there are more options, last Saturday luggage was stacked on the bus as the store under the bus was full but everyone got on.

You could look at snowcamp as they do a transfer for €60 each way.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@radar, i think we’d take our chances either with the public bus or inghams or the like. We have managed to get a transfer with a tour operator last couple years, but every year i say i’m going to try the public bus. It will probably come down to timings. We are due to land 10.10 am, so would not make the bus at around 10.45, so next one is around 12.45, which will probably be ideal, but if out sharpish and a tour operator has a space leaving earlier then will probably go for that and hopefully get on slopes for a bit.
I thought folk were pre booking bus when they were buying tickets on the app. I guess we could just buy on app last minute at airport if we decide to go for public bus?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@radar, Ah i hust re read your post that we can buy ticket on bus
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gilly28, if for any reason you couldn’t get on a bus, there is a regular train service to Zell am See, and a bus or taxi from there, so it’s not as if you’re taking a risk of getting stuck at the airport.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gilly28, I thought same and couldn’t make the 10:45, was due to land at 10:10 from London city a couple weeks ago, if flight is on time it gets in about half an hour early, flight time is 1.5 hours, if you are on same flight. If you get through passport queues in reasonable time then it’s very doable. I had a private transfer booked as wanted to ski that day and couldn’t risk missing the 10:45 bus.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Gilly28, , the bus app will also give you options going via Zell using the train.

How to get to Saalbach from Salzburg Airport,

Austrian Transfer run a shuttle bus service https://www.austriatransfer.com/en it is 70 euro each way, however if you are a solo traveller it is 120 euro! if there are three or more then a private shuttle is more cost effective.

Edit: 30 November added Snow Camps transfer

Andy Rose of Snow Camps Europe is offering a shuttle type service.

https://www.snowcampseu.com/airport-transfers/

Private transfers, companies based in Saalbach Taxi Rainer https://www.taxirainer.at/en/, Taxi6620 https://www.taxi6620.at/en/ , https://taxi-pinzgau.com

Holiday Shuttle as far as I can ascertain won't be providing a service this season

Public bus (260) from Salzburg airport, the cheapest way to get to Saalbach, the fare is currently Euro 15.90 each way, change at Maishofen (680) a couple of minutes walk between bust sops, the bus going up the valley will wait if there is delay to the incoming bus, mention to the driver you are connecting to Saalbach

The public bus frequency has increased this winter to five connections on Saturday, to check the times https://salzburg-verkehr.at/en/,

You can go via Zell Am See, take the bus to Salzburg HBF train to Zell there maybe a change of train on route, then bus 680 to Saalbach or a taxi (€60).

You can buy bus or train tickets through the Salzburg Verkehr app, it also has the live ski bus times, handy for when you are in resort, it’s been a great discovery.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Gilly28, when are you travelling? I'm travelling this Saturday (3rd Feb) and arriving about the same time, looking to get the bus you mention which leaves at 12:53.

Interesting to read you've got a lift with the transfer coaches. How did that work? Did you just ask the reps? Did they charge you?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@tatmanstours, yeah I did think about train option too. I’ll look into that and have all our options at the ready and then decide by how quick we get off that plane and through customs etc. be great if we managed the 10.45 bus.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We've made it to the chicken man! Bit of a slog from the reiterkogel and as I'm sat here, I feel like I'm coming down with something. Not the best timing.

But on a positive note, took the beginner/fiance down some unintentional reds and she smashed it.

Views are incredible, hopefully the food is just as good. Great recommendations so far - thanks!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ooh we are going tomorrow. Snow on the Leogang sector really good today, 211 all the way down fabulous!
Soft on the town side on the way home but they are performing miracles in this warm weather.

But still not worth coming, oh no!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@dunc999

Totally worth it. Food is lovely. They're not wrong - chicken is amazing. Also got some ribs and some shrimp. Definitely over ordered but ete the lot anyway. Now the hard slog of getting back to the right valley! Sad

If I'm not unwell, I think we'll bus to vorderglemm next time and try the long run down - easier when you're staying this side!
ski holidays
@Gow87, did you book or just rock up?
snow report
@dunc999 rocked up but we were very lucky. If you want to be inside (weather looks dodgy tomorrow), definitely book.
snow conditions
If anyone is worried about not getting on the 260 bus at Salzburg Airport, because it might be busy, just walk around the corner to the previous bus stop (about 5 minutes).
ski holidays
@Austrian Seagull, Thanks! I now recall reading that last year, but totally forgot about it.
snow report
My wife is in Kaprun this week and for her last ski day - tomorrow - she's planning on skiing at Zell. She's asked me to recommend some pistes to her, but it's more than 10 years since I last skied in Zell. Is the new(ish) piste 21 down under the ZellamseeXpress an enjoyable piste? My wife prefers blues and the easier end of red. I'm just thinking that because it's mostly North facing the snow there might be a bit better than the slush that she's had in Kaprun.
latest report
@Valkyrie, that run is probably my least favourite in the entire 408km of combined piste terrain in the Ski Circus/Zell am See/Kaprun. I won’t say it’s never enjoyable, but it’s relatively narrow, definitely red and not blue, and when conditions are less than ideal and it’s crowded with skiers going faster than they should, it’s a perfect run for masochists.
Unless conditions look reasonable I would recommend (to anyone heading towards Saalbach) downloading from the top station of the Zell am See Xpress.
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, thanks for the info, I'll tell her not to bother with that one.
ski holidays
@Valkyrie, Definitely agree with Tatmanstours re Red 21. My advice to your wife would be to get across to the Sonnkogel side of Zell as early as possible and ski Reds 15, 16, 17, 18 and 19. These runs are on the blue side of red and are on the quieter side of the mountain.
snow report
Snowed all day from 11am from about 1300m, although seemed to snow until lower down on way back to Saalbach. Viz a bit rubbish but lovely snow up top now. Spent the day in the Leogang sector and the 211 to the valley was great again! However by the time we did 205 the bottom half was raining heavily. Had lunch at the chicken man, wow! Just great.
Raining heavily in town now, so that's a bit miserable! Still another great day though.
ski holidays
Spacey is performing this evening at Bergers Sporthotel from around 9.00pm.
snow report
@tatmanstours, If it is raining heavily in town tonight, could that mean snowing on the higher pistes?
snow report
@Gilly28, yes, it was snowing earlier and apparently it’s good snow up on the mountain (I didn’t go out today). Currently it’s 2 degrees (dropping to 1C later tonight), and it’s not raining or forecast to rain - not in the foreseeable future. It should freeze overnight, so optimistic.
Update at 01.00am: I just walked home from the Ötzi Bar. It feels quite mild (currently still 2C, dropping to 1C at around 4.00am), and it’s drizzling a bit. Not ideal, but it changes all the time. Should be fresh snow and freezing temperatures not far above the village.
snow report
@tatmanstours, Sounding good! 4.30 taxi booked and I can’t sleep! Argh!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Morning - is there anywhere in Saalbach that might be showing the rugby this weekend?
snow report
@franga, Bobby’s show all the rugby games
snow conditions
radar wrote:
@franga, Bobby’s show all the rugby games

Ace, thanks very much.
snow conditions
Last day today, rubbish area, couldn't possibly recommend it.
latest report
@dunc999, it’s not working - I reckon there are more Brits than Germans here this week!
snow report
@tatmanstours, there were certainly hundreds of Irish in Bobby's last night!!
snow report
On the 260, it is busy! Carnage getting on and getting cases in hold. Will the driver automatically stop at Maishofen or should we mention to him? Bus is full so I would assume others are changing.
snow conditions
Gilly28 wrote:
On the 260, it is busy! Carnage getting on and getting cases in hold. Will the driver automatically stop at Maishofen or should we mention to him? Bus is full so I would assume others are changing.

He should stop & the other bus should be waiting - Oh & you need to open the hold yourself & dig out your ski gear. Bus driver will be ready to go if you are not quick!
snow report
10 minutes after passing through Saalfelden, you will go through an underpass. Immediately after that you will see a sign on the right side of the road, saying turn right for Saalbach-Hinterglemm. That’s where you get off.
latest report
dunc999 wrote:
@tatmanstours, there were certainly hundreds of Irish in Bobby's last night!!

Not heard on here wether the hinterhag is up and running this year, have in the past had many fun apres times in there . We i.e me and mrs are now only a month away from returning to saalbach and this weekend have been pulling the gear together and booking the car (we drive from uk ) in for service am now at the stage of checking the webcams and weather forecast daily and looking forward to turning up . cant wait ho ho
ski holidays
We are due to arrive on 2 March and frustratingly our flight has changed to now land at 13 50 at Salzburg. Its a TUI flight but we are travelling with Inghams.

We normally are on a much earlier flight giving us plenty of time to sort life passes and ski hire. I could get Inghams to sort the passes but want to go toHansi for skis and the snowboard shop nearby for Mrs BH's board.

Saturday morning traffic never presented a problem but afternoon i suspect could be busier? I'm assuming we should still be in resort by 5ish giving us an hour to sort skis before they close up at 6. Trying to avoid the Sunday morning dash for ski hire.
snow report
@ski for fun, the Hinterhag is still going strong.

The resident musician post on FB Apreski Hinterhag Alm
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy