Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Doesn't surprise me, looking at the Lauberhorn web cam a lot of the recent snow has been blown off leaving bare patches up near the lift, fortunately because they pisted a fair area last weekend that base will not blow away in a hurry, the good news is that snow yesterday means Wengen now has 30 cm at village level.

Further good news is that the predictions indicate a further 40-50 cm of new snow is likely before the coming weekend, assuming the winds are not too strong that should allow more of the area to be opened
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is the first year I've been actively looking at the weather leading upto our departure date (March 2013 this time) .. so is what's occuring at the moment better than in recent years ? (snowfall early). We went last year during the big freeze Europe had in Feb. Minus 28 at Mannlichen one moring we got up there at 8am (1st CC out of Wengen).. So just interested in the snowfall already, and projected, is ususal or actually better than 'usual' this year ?

Us brits are obsessed with the weather Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's better than last year that's for sure - have a look at the old Jungfrau thread (pinned at the top of this forum) to see lots of pics & reports of conditions last December.

It's no indication of conditions for March unfortunately. We usually spend the whole of March in Wengen, and the weather can be anything from tropical to arctic!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The WHOLE of March ?.. you lucky so and so Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gamer2471, All the weather at the moment is likely to mean is that a good base will be down before the start of the season proper (opening for weekends only doesn't really count). But a good base is important, if one is established before the start of the season it prolongs any later snowfall, fresh snow falling onto grass is swept off by skiers, but fresh snow falling onto older snow tends to bond to the existing surface.

As for what March will be like I'm afraid right now that's anyones guess, I can do a rough forecast a little over two weeks into the future, a fairly accurate one about a week ahead, but 3 months plus I'm afraid you may as well chance looking in a crystal ball
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi,
wasn't looking for a forecast for March - appreciate that's way too in the future... but good info about the start of the season. Is this season, or at least what's falling now and projected in the next week or so, a better start than for a few years ? I guess depends on if the pistebashers can get out and compact it down regularly. We were lucky enough to have LOTS of snow in Wengen itself last year for our 1st ever stay in the winter ...it was picture postcard stuff. Hiking to Murren i regulary dived into 2Metre banks of snow just for the hell of it Embarassed
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's a very good start Smile keep checking back here for reports & pics from the area once the season gets underway from around the 16th.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gamer2471, I always people not to panic about snow until a week or so before they go to Wengen, it's entirely possible for a heavy overnight snowfall to completely change the situation, that said the reasonably heavy snowfall combined with colder temperatures should certainly give a good start to the season.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm not worried ... infact I'm probably far more laid back about it than most as we don't ski !... we just hike & toboggan (great fun, the twistier the better). We find the jungfrau region excellent for varied runs and our Favorites are both the Eiger runs. We have done them all in the Jungfrau region. I wasn't sure about togogganing to begin with - its for kids right ?? but my god it's good fun, and the metal new fangled sleds are so steerable it's brilliant - hence we are going back. Back injury prevents me from learning to ski or snowboard - i just do not want to risk falling akwardly from a standing position .. but with a sledge you just fall/roll sideways from seated. Obviously it's all risk management at the end of the day.

It suits us - not sure how skiers view tobogganists ? are we lepers ? Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tobogganing is big business in the Bernese Oberland - you can even get lessons! From my point of view as a skier - no problem at all. It's just a different way to enjoy the snow Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter if you prefer a sled, a pair of skates, skis, snowboard or just old fashioned feet, it's the enjoyment of the area that counts
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
D G Orf wrote:
So far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter if you prefer a sled, a pair of skates, skis, snowboard or just old fashioned feet, it's the enjoyment of the area that counts

agreed, even if you prefer Wengen rolling eyes
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Picture taken on the 3rd December by the Schilthorn

Thanks for sharing : http://www.schilthorn.ch
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
locals moaning that the lifts aren't open so some are using the village (taken today) -

Thanks to Exile on Mainstreet (best shop in Mürren): http://www.piz-gloria.com/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another 20cm in the village last night - @wengen.com on Twitter
latest report
Its official from the Schilthorn, as of this morning Mürren village has a depth of 50cm and its still snowing Laughing
snow conditions
Telford-Mike
Haven't SwissCom sorted out the phone line to the clubroom webcam yet.? those blue-suited skiiers must be getting bored!
latest report
sherlockis,

It looks like some tree-hugger has powered-off the router mate. So it's blue suits and spring conditions until I get there next weekend. I might be able to get one of the expats to switch it on next week if I can track somebody down.

The good news is that the club have agreed to leave it on all year round next year Smile Smile
snow report
telford_mike wrote:
sherlockis,

It looks like some tree-hugger has powered-off the router mate. So it's blue suits and spring conditions until I get there next weekend. I might be able to get one of the expats to switch it on next week if I can track somebody down.

The good news is that the club have agreed to leave it on all year round next year Smile Smile

Mike, who is the person that keeps twittering for DHO ??
ski holidays
We have a PR company these days, they're actually very good Smile If you follow them expect lots of stuff! As usual before the season starts, most of it is secondhand or simply spam (ok advertising!).
snow conditions
Mürren today...looking up as the Almendhubel funnicular comes down.

The Schiltorn measure (at 2360m) this morning stating 96cm!!

but now the village has -

latest report
Snow-forecast.com is showing -35 (with windchill) on Thursday night for Top station in Wengen. Wrap up warm! Skullie
snow conditions
Brian T, Yes but Top Station for Wengen is classed as Jungfraujoch where it is easy for the temp to drop below -20C and for winds to exceeed 100kph !

That said I will concede that Thursday night around 9pm and Saturday night about the same time could be very cold, potentially between -10 and -20C at resort level which is very cold indeed for Wengen itself, however in all my time of going there the coldest I can recall in Wengen itself was something like -12C Wind speeds for the resort should be under 6Kts all week, at higher levels however it may well be much faster, Temps in the area will remain below freezing and it looks as if there is still more snow tomorrow morning, Friday and probably Monday next week with a high chance of a good 30cm more by the beginning of next week, long range forecasts suggest the really cold weather will continue until at least the 15th with the chance of further snow fall before then
snow conditions
well last night brought plenty of new snow

Wengen now has 60 cm on the nursery slopes as does Grindelwald

Lauberhorn/Mannlichen about 90 cm

Murren Officially 70cm

First has 112 cm

Eigergletscher/Schilthorn 120cm

Skiing down to Lauterbrunnen from Murren should just be possible with 25cm at the valley floor

even snow in Interlaken

More lifts open again this weekend with whole area open from December 15th, still more snow on the way and it looks as if it should (baring avalanches) be a great start to the season.
snow conditions
I don't know why but the measurement they give for the Schilthorn 2970m is actually read at 2360m.
ski holidays
Chris Brookes, possibly because the top might have been closed due to high winds ?

I grab the data of Jungrau.ch and Wengen.com but you need to check when it was last updated, the figures I cave today were this mornings and are taken from specific measuring points
ski holidays
They are saying the automatic station at 2360 has 129cm.

For years they have been taking the Sous station measurements at 2360m but for PR reasons you would think they would take it from a higher altitude unless of course they add a bit more to the 2360m reading?!

http://www.slf.ch/schneeinfo/messwerte/wt-daten/wt_tabellarisch_EN
snow conditions
Going out on Jan 9th to the Oak Hall Chalet in Lauters, have never been able to ski back from Murren before, that will be good if still possible Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro wrote:
Going out on Jan 9th to the Oak Hall Chalet in Lauters, have never been able to ski back from Murren before, that will be good if still possible Very Happy

They have made it wider near Winteregg and at the bottom with a couple of fixed snow cannons now....all good fun.

Looking forward to seeing the pics Ray wink
snow report
Wengen at midday today, about 40cm of new snow overnight i was told... Shocked

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
snow report
DHO Webcam now back online.

http://www.downhillonly.com/site/cam.shtml

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Oh those lucky people on the Lauberhorn, the sun has just poked through the clouds and there's 20cm or so of fresh powder snow over near perfect pistes - Me jealous ... YUP Sad

Those people lucky enough to be going out for the start of the season will by my guess have a great time, looks like a little more snow Sunday and Monday say 15-20cm in total and then a clear spell, gradually warming to just above zero at resort level by Friday, The following week looks like it will start off with a bit of snow and cooler (below freezing temps) currently the forecast suggests a warming period around the 20th 21st but I find that 2 weeks away is just beyond accurate predicting range for the mountains, my educated guess is that Wengen and the whole region will have a great amount of snow for Christmas

Current Snow Levels as of this morning are 60cm in Wengen and Grindelwald, 85cm at Murren and 115cm at Lauberhorn/Mannlichen with 123cm at Schilthorn and a lovely 130cm at First most lifts are now open in the area or will be shortly once the last runs have been pisted
latest report
Any news of snow depths as of Sunday morning?
ski holidays
Brian T, Roughly an extra 5cm of Fresh from the Previous night but depths themselves have at higher altitude settled slightly still about 110cm at Kleine Scheidegg etc 132cm at First, 128cm At Schilthorn
snow conditions
Good news. What a great start to the season. As you said before - lucky people!
snow report
Cannot wait - going to Murren with the family for Christmas.
snow report
skilegs wrote:
Cannot wait - going to Murren with the family for Christmas.

Skilegs, it looks like you might be in for epic conditions. Smile Hopefully your family relations from Mexico who you said have never seen snow will be suitably impressed! Laughing
latest report
More snow last night by the looks of it. Train from Wengen to Scheidegg suspended due to avalanche danger. Forecast says very cold next couple of days, then getting a bit warmer towards the weekend. Hope it doesn't get too warm or the avalanche danger will become even more acute.
ski holidays
Local forecast is for possible rain now come Friday, that is unlikely to wash away the snow but may well increase avalanche risk, hopefully tomorrow there will be better weather and they can get out in helicopters and set off any potential avalanches before the rain, for those who are unaware the Mannlichen to Lauberhorn ridge can occasionally build a huge overhanging cornice of snow, this potentially can come down over the railway line which is why just before Allmend Station they build a massive concrete avalanche tunnel, in good weather they drop charges into the cornice causing it to drop before it gets too big, but in poor weather they can't get to it and it grows and grows till it drops on it's own at which point it's a potential killer, if things get that bad they can and do close some of the roads in Wengen, the Nursery slopes and the Ice Rink, they also shut the cable car and stop any trains at Wengen allowing them no further.

My own Forecast suggest it may Snow or Sleet on Friday at resort level (too close to call on temp) then probably rain Saturday and possibly Sunday, after that it will turn cold again with snow likely on Monday, temps will continue to fluctuate for the following week hovering around 1 or 2 C which means you may get rain or snow probably depending on what time of day it falls, Extreme long range suggest Snow on Christmas Eve and cooler temps again
snow conditions
telford_mike

super-snowHead
Sat 15 Jan, 11

Time-lapse view of the DHO-cam now available: http://www.webcam-4insiders.com/en/Wetter-Wengen/446-Wengen-Wetter.php

Mike, the DHO-cam has gone frrom the Webcam-4insiders site. Missing the pics of all that lovely new snow piling up!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy