Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2023/24 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
1 Sleep to go - fly in tomorrow! Saalbach here we come, to top it won Saalbach Insider tshirt Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I promised @radar I would let him know how I got on with airport transfer offered by snowcamps. After paying, a confirmation email said I would receive a text 48 hours prior to departure confirming pick up time. It should have been Thursday morning but after emailing them Thursday pm I got a text a couple of hours later stating a 06.05 pickup. A mini bus turned up on time and dropped us off at salzburg airport in plenty of time for out 10am flight.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Freefall, remind me please, did you use the bus to get to Saalbach? Think it was yourself that had the early flight home that left it a bit tight to get the bus back?

If it was you, did it go ok? Looking at taking the bus next Saturday, anything extra to know other than the points from radar?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Freefall, thank you, it’s new this year and while it’s recommended by someone I know it’s good to have a Snowhead use it.
@Boofont, We regularly use the bus, it’s very straightforward, but you should allow for eventualities, our trip to the airport from Saalbach in December was about 30 minutes late because of traffic, which is fine for us as we allow 3 hours for checkin ( travel BA).
If it’s tight book a private transfer or the shuttle such as snowcamps or the other regular service my transfer post as they don’t have to stick to a prescribed route.

Edit: download the Salzburg Verkehr app for live bus times , it will show delays and you get the ski bus times too
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@radar, thanks. Got the app from a previous top tip of yours.

We travel a week today. The bus inbound isn’t an issue at all. Our flight is due to land 10:50, looking at getting the next bus which is about 12:50. Should work fine, I would hope to cleared with bags etc by then. If not, we get one two hours later. The 12:50 gets us in resort about 15:00 - very reasonable.

Going home, not so great with added stress of course but still think I’ll be ok. My flight is due to leave 11:40. I set the “Arrive SZG” time for 09:00. That puts me on the first bus which I think is about 06:11 from Hinterglemm. That gets me in about 08:30. I don’t mind being early at all and I’m comfortable that that gives me plenty of time. If that bus is missed for whatever reason or other issues, there’s a later one which, if on time, would work but would be tight.

There’s a comment on the route map via the bus website about possible delays at the German boarder? Looks like the route cuts through a spit of SE Germany? Can I assume this is a precautionary warning and not anything to be worried about generally?

Also, I was going to post and ask anyway. As a back up for my journey back, on the very unlikely chance something goes wrong, can anyone give me some reliable taxi numbers that are operating at around 6am onwards able to take us last min to SZG please? I don’t speak German so English speakers that can understand a panicked voice also. Lol.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Boofont wrote:
Hi Guys. Reading a lot of comments on high temps in the Pyrenees and western Alps leading to less than ideal conditions as you would expect. How's things looking over in Austria for those with boots on the ground or know the weather patterns better than me please.

Yeah, I’m interested to hear this too?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Boofont, the warning is precautionary as you cross the German border

You will find three Saalbach taxi companies in my post , all speak english, my German is ver very limited.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Kramer, @Boofont, the temperature is unusually high, but low overnight -6, skied yesterday from the Schattberg over to Schattberg Ost then Zwolferkogel and over to Hinterglemm finished at 4, late afternoon was getting soft on the sunny side, Saalbach is blessed with plenty of snow making.

Some lifts are now open at 8.30, we have been at the top of the Schattberg by 9.30 ish and yesterday the piste conditions on the blues and reds we great.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yesterday

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gulasch soup index, this the final update, it’s aim is to give a feel for the cost of eating on the mountain.
It’s all in Euro the value in brackets is last season’s price.

Maisalm (8.90) 9.90
Atzitz brau and Alte Schmide (8.50) 9.00
Chicken man (8.50)
Breitfussalm (11.90) 12.50
Sonnhof (8.90) 9.30, self service (7.50)
Walleggalm (8.50)
Westgipfle Hutte (8.50)
Bergstadl (6.50) self service and full service
Winkler Alm (6.40) 7.60
Wildenkarhutte 9.10
Stockl alm large 8.20 .5l small .3l 6.20
Bergeralm 9.50
Hochhorndler 7.90
Kralleralm 7.50
Rachkuchl (8.50) 8.10
Thurneralm 8.80
Luis Alm 9.90
Ederalm 8.40
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boofont wrote:
@Freefall, remind me please, did you use the bus to get to Saalbach? Think it was yourself that had the early flight home that left it a bit tight to get the bus back?

If it was you, did it go ok? Looking at taking the bus next Saturday, anything extra to know other than the points from radar?

Yes I did use the bus to get to Saalbach as recommended by @Radar. It was straightforward to pay for the tickets using the app and the bus stop is directly outside terminal 1. The only thing I would be cautious with was a 260 bus pulled up at the airport around the time stated on the app we put our cases underneath and got onto the bus and when I mentioned to the driver Saalbach he said "No" he was going the Salzburg train station. It was not obvious on the front of the bus. Our 260 going in the opposite direction turned up 2 minutes later. So just be careful. In theory we were late for the change to the 680 bus and I thought we might have to hang around another hour but strangely it turned up 20 mins late.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Freefall, thanks. What about the change at Maishofen? With not being familiar with the place to change, is it obvious? Do you need to tell the driver to stop as you would in the UK?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I enjoyed my trip to Saalbach, lovely lifts and lunch stops although not cheap. More like spring skiing than January. I was keen on skiing to Zell am See for the day but winds kept closing the Zell am See Express lift. Finally managed it on Friday our last day. A word of caution for those doing the trip to Zell am See, on your return you can either ski down to the Express lifts mid station then download to the bottom to get the bus back to Saalbach or just download from the very top. We opted to ski and red 21 down to the mid station was very moguled and narrow and if it had a few people on it it could become a nightmare. We both agreed it was the hardest run we had done all week. So if long mogul runs are not your thing, download from the top.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boofont wrote:
@Freefall, thanks. What about the change at Maishofen? With not being familiar with the place to change, is it obvious? Do you need to tell the driver to stop as you would in the UK?

I did mention I needed to change but I had also googled the street view on google maps and also tracked our bus journey in real time on the bus app. It is a very short path down to the other stop.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Freefall, great. Was going to do the same ref the app, plus already been on street view.

Noted ref the moguled red also. Out with my 16 year old son. He bitches on moguls so that run sounds like a winner to me! I don’t let on that they kill me too but then that would spoil the fun wouldn’t it. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
@Boofont, the app has a map showing the walking route between bus stops at the change over point Very Happy
snow report
@Boofont,
Change over map

snow conditions
@radar, thanks. It’s more knowing what stop to get the off, and that the bus will actually stop. Obviously once you’ve done it once you know.

What does “Abzw” mean?
ski holidays
“What does “Abzw” mean?”

“Abzweigstelle” = branch point
snow conditions
@Boofont, the stop you get off is in the picture above, I suggest that you have a play with app and plan a trip using it before you go and you will see that it gives you the name of the change over point
snow conditions
tatmanstours wrote:
“What does “Abzw” mean?”

“Abzweigstelle” = branch point

Yip… thought so! Lol. Puzzled

Thanks Tatman, between yourself and radar I’m not sure we’d survive! Very Happy
snow conditions
@radar, I got the snowcamps transfer back last Saturday, thanks to your post about that option, was planning to catch the 8am bus. At €60 it saved €113 v private taxi I got on the way out ( I found a taxi from Salzburg at €173 online which was much cheaper than any other, which worked as it got me on slopes for 3 hours on arrival day, as a slow skier even managed to have a beer on the way to the Chicken man, have a beer there and one on the way back to Burgi’s !)

I was on a flight back at 13:25, got a text Thursday to say pick up 08:40 from Hotel Kristiania, mini van was there before 08:30 and a few others from hotel on it. Took us down to the coach area on main road, just a bit along from Schattberg, just like the holiday shuttle did.

Coach arrived 08:45 and after waiting for all other pick ups in the mini vans, it left not long after 9, it materialised it was an Inghams transfer, as the rep accompanied the coach and gave some details of the transfer times, wear the seatbelt as law in Austria etc and she would come back on when 10 mins from Salzburg to advise which check in desks the flights were from and she advised the drop off was right outside terminal door (didn’t apply to me as was on BA from other terminal, but it’s only a 1 min walk)

There was a broken down car in a tunnel half way, which slowed us down by c30 mins, but still arrived about 11 so worked very well.

Thanks for sharing Snowcamps
snow report
@ribblevalleyblue, thanks very much for the feedback, they were recommended by someone I know but good to have a Snowhead use them.
snow conditions
Just seen this article in Snow Magazine:

https://www.snowmagazine.com/features/top-tens/six-reasons-to-ski-the-skicircus?fbclid=IwAR3oNCbSIBKx-j8Cf--iFQS7uA2KTMot-1zt_ZlfRcmVHbujcUD1bglTkNA_aem_AbRFK3x2RodM81D-FWCaZ0LxzxToxNSqkx6UcmGSzHAifJBHPmeUcnw0TPmDQR9Q0NqJanAIIR1ZakIPAPNEh_G_
snow conditions
Morning - any update on conditions (piste) from those on the ground please? Hoping that it's not as bad as some of the reports coming out of the NW Alps resorts ....
snow conditions
@franga, after last week’s real mixture of weather and conditions, I was very pleasantly surprised yesterday. The weather was beautiful, the pistes (Kohlmais - south-facing) were in nice, powdery, relatively unmogulled condition, and it wasn’t busy - even though it’s high season and was Sunday.
Will be going out again shortly.
snow report
Today :
Kohlmais - very good - just been running Panorama lift very nice runs

Bernkogel also skiing good
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, thought we were trying to cut down on the number of Brits going to Saalbach Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@radar, it appears we have this week - also cut down generally! Uncannily quiet, especially when compared with a couple of weeks ago. I wonder if it’s because many people try to take advantage of low season and avoid high season (which we’re now of course well into).
snow conditions
Thanks all ... glad we are not following the hordes / Brits to the French Alps ...

@radar - I'm half-Greek so I am on the exception list
ski holidays
@franga, I'm half Dutch so I should be ablsoutly discouraged from going! Laughing
snow conditions
@radar, I expect to see you raving with the orange hordes during Dutch week then.
latest report
Hey all! A few of you may remember I was going to propose to the other half... I ended up doing it at the top of the zwolferkogel, partially because I couldn't tell people I'd take her up the schattburg before I proposed...

She said yes!

But more importantly, she's smashing it as a beginner and challenging herself more on the board. And with that has come pain and misery. Does anyone know a decent spa in Hinterglemm so that we can soothe her aching legs?

Cheers in advance!
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, I'll be back for that Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
@Gow87, congratulations ! great spot to have chosen

Spa, try the Under Schwarzach Hof, I'm not 100% sure if they do day spas but it's a very nice hotel , as non residents you can eat there which I highly recommend
latest report
radar wrote:
@Gow87, congratulations ! great spot to have chosen

Spa, try the Under Schwarzach Hof, I'm not 100% sure if they do day spas but it's a very nice hotel , as non residents you can eat there which I highly recommend

Cheers! Will pop over tomorrow and see if day spa in is an option!

Will look at a meal too - I cooked tonight so she deserves a nice meal. Very Happy
snow report
Generally good conditions. Went out about 2.00pm this afternoon and skied over to Leogang. The pistes were holding up well under the bright sunshine. And, like yesterday, it was gloriously uncrowded (although we’re in silly season with small kids, beginners, and boarders doing unpredictable, sudden, unnecessary turns and stops in front of you, so it pays to be vigilant).

The north-facing slopes of the Leogang bowl, as well as the Steinberg and Asitz runs were in excellent condition, although it was icy at the bottom of all three of the runs I did down to the valley (Steinberg and the black and red runs on the Asitz).
On a day like today later in the season, with a cloudless blue sky, I would expect slushy moguls by the late afternoon, but the sun, though bright, is thankfully still weak.

Spacey (geordie singer/guitarist /entertainer and après-ski king of Saalbach) was in excellent form at the Spitzbub, and as usual whipped up a very exuberant après-ski party.
For fans and followers of Spacey, this is his weekly schedule:
Sunday: Ötzi Bar 10.00pm
Monday: Spitzbub 5.00-7.30pm
Tuesday: guesting with Peter Thederan and the Castello All-Star Band (who are really excellent) at the Soul House 4.00-7.30pm
Wednesday: Ötzi Bar 10.00pm
Thursday: Bergers Sporthotel 9.00-11.00pm
Friday: Spitzbub 5.00-7.30pm (this was announced this evening - not sure whether it’s going to be a regular Friday gig, or just a one-off for this week).

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 29-01-24 23:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Gow87, check the Xandl Stadl, good food nice setting, 300 meter walk from the 12er Kogel lift station, up hill
latest report
Snow has been holding up really well so far, especially first lifts, but very slushy this afternoon on anything south facing and low.
Our Hotel is on the 151 home run which is pretty lumpy! But any fellow Brits read this, it's a rubbish area and you definitely shouldn't come out!!
snow conditions
radar wrote:
@Gow87, check the Xandl Stadl, good food nice setting, 300 meter walk from the 12er Kogel lift station, up hill

I'm familiar with the xandl stadl. We love the zwolferkogel side and make sure to stop for a drink/bite to eat!

Wasn't sure about trying to get up there on the evening though. My legs usually haven't got anything left!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy