Warning: file_get_contents(https://vimeo.com/api/oembed.json?url=http://vimeo.com/18376850&width=640): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found in /var/www/html/ski-forum/includes/xtrafunctions.php on line 3631

Warning: file_get_contents(https://vimeo.com/api/oembed.json?url=http://vimeo.com/18376850&width=640): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found in /var/www/html/ski-forum/includes/xtrafunctions.php on line 3631
Jungfrau Ski region (178), snowHeads ski forum
 Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region

Poster: A snowHead
telford_mike, can someone explain about putting pics on here for me please? I saw that I have to get "wordpress", I looked on line but still don't get it???? I have a HTC desire, is this available for my phone? and also what else do I need to do? please bear in mind I am not very techi, lol, cheers, suzysue
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ray Zorro, Lovely pics - thanks for sharing Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
suzysue2,

Lots of ways to do this - none of them particularly simple if you use a phone. Wordpress is a blogging tool which takes care of all the resizing and transferring the pics to the internet - this tends to be the tricky bit when you're using a phone so the wordpress app is nice. Once the pics are uploaded to a wordpress blog it's a very simple job to include them in posts on here.

Alternatively you can use a tool like pixelpipe, but it tends to be complicated. I'm sure others will have better suggestions for an Android phone.

Once you have uploaded the pics to somewhere on the internet, you just link to them using the following code:

Code:
[img]http://www.mywebsite.com/myphoto.jpg[/img]

The pic called myphoto.jpg will then appear in your post.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well some triffic news (for me Wink )- off to Murren on the 29th, staying at the Hotel Eiger (anyone been, is it good? Not that it matters overly I'm going regardless!)

Went to Wengen last year, we did pop over to Murren one day but the weather was terrible white out so didn't see a great deal nor enjoy it all that much as a result.

We went to First on a blue sky day and had an awesome time, what's the best way to get there from Murren? Ski over from Wengen or take the train round? I seem to remember it's a bit of a slog but I'd certainly want to go there again.

Can't wait for the Wengeralp toboggan run, that run was maaaaad.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Eddyr. going to Hotel Eiger on Saturday, will report back to you when we are there or get back. Best way to First is round by train as this is quicker, you will prob want to get the bus from the train station as it is a bit of a walk to the lift. we love Murren and have been several times, have you joined the facebook site for the hotel? they have posted a fab pic today, lots of snow.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
eddyr, Im testing out wordpress blog at the moment but not having much luck with my Blackberry app...the joys !!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 4-01-11 22:58; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If it's bad at the Eiger don't tell me Wink Sure it'll be excellent, looks plenty good enough to me!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eddyr wrote:
Well some triffic news (for me Wink )- off to Murren on the 29th, staying at the Hotel Eiger (anyone been, is it good? Not that it matters overly I'm going regardless!)

Went to Wengen last year, we did pop over to Murren one day but the weather was terrible white out so didn't see a great deal nor enjoy it all that much as a result.

We went to First on a blue sky day and had an awesome time, what's the best way to get there from Murren? Ski over from Wengen or take the train round? I seem to remember it's a bit of a slog but I'd certainly want to go there again.

Can't wait for the Wengeralp toboggan run, that run was maaaaad.....

The Eiger hotel is a good choice with clean comfortable rooms,good food,excellent views and a lovely swimming pool below. You can also ski back to the hotel when you use the Palace run. The only downside is the hike up the hill in the morning before you can put your skis on to ski down to the Allmendhubel.

http://youtube.com/v/EfuxQBVws6Y

If you like tobogganing and the conditions are good try the run from Murren down to Gimmelwald and then jump into the cablecar back to Murren !
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris Brookes wrote:
eddyr, Im testing out wordpress blog at the moment but not having much luck with my Blackberry app...the joys !!

Let me know if you need any help mate - I went through the same pain barrier on my Nokia N8.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
telford_mike wrote:
Chris Brookes wrote:

Let me know if you need any help mate - I went through the same pain barrier on my Nokia N8.

Ta Mike, i can get everything to work and post pictures on the blog but when i C&P the link to here the picture comes out way too big.

help please !
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AdrianV wrote:
telford_mike,
Webcam is excellent - though facing into the room may be more interesting in the evening!

I have IE7 (not such an old browser!) on the machine I am using at work, and the menu list at the left is displaced to the right so it overhangs the main frame.

I believe I have fixed this glitch now - if anyone could confirm I'd be most grateful!

http://www.downhillonly.com/site/cam.shtml
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chris Brookes wrote:
telford_mike wrote:
Chris Brookes wrote:

Ta Mike, i can get everything to work and post pictures on the blog but when i C&P the link to here the picture comes out way too big.

help please !

On mine there is an option in the WP app menu on the phone 'resize photos' - it doesn't give you an option of how big to resize them but they always comes out at 640x480 which is ok. My WP blog here: http://mike.downhillonly.com
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Eddyr, don't worry about the up hill hike to to Allmenhubel as you will be able to board the train outside the hotel, It leaves every half hour, then get off at Winteregg for the chair lift.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
suzysue2 wrote:
Eddyr, don't worry about the up hill hike to to Allmenhubel as you will be able to board the train outside the hotel, It leaves every half hour, then get off at Winteregg for the chair lift.

If you time it right you then only have a 7 minute train ride to Winteregg...

Im sure you are aware this hill i'm talking about is only a 5 minute hike to the Ice skating ring and then you can put your skis on and ski down to the Allmendhubelbahn or further to the Schilthornbahn.

The small hill in question-
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some excellent footage of off piste skiing from the Schilthorn into the hidden valley and ending up at Lauterbrunnen -

http://vimeo.com/18376850 (if it doesnt work click on the left link)

Thanks to Patrick Pearson and the guys at Piz Gloria for sharing this lovely ride
http://www.piz-gloria.com/
snow conditions
Great videos - the countdown has started - on my return from Davos on Sunday night I found my boiler had finally packed up so waiting for a new one to be installed next week - absolutely freezing so am back in my ski gear!! Roll on the end of January and my return to Wengen and Murren.
snow report
Chris, I have stayed at the Bellevue before in Murren, ski in and out from here but booked the Eiger this year thru Inghams, I have to say the "up hill" bit did woryy me a bit, don't fancy that first thing in ski boots and carrying ski's but hubby convinced me the train to Winteregg then chair was a better option and now have to agree!

You said earlier that it is possible to ski back to the hotel on the palace run, No5 I think? We have skied this many times but can't recall where to leave this run to get back to the Eiger??? I know it goes right back to the Jungfrau hotel & ski school meeting place but assume we would have to leave the road section before this? maybe off piste round the back of the sports centre? I seem to remember a walking path around here, would we have to ski by this?

cheers Suzy
snow report
Oh, just as an add on......I bought a "wipeout" lens cloth last week and it arrived this morning from Snow forecast. com, it's a cloth for cleaning sunglasses with the piste maps for this area printed on it, no wrestling with the paper ones for me this year, lol . Cost about £8, but should last a few years i think.
snow conditions
suzysue2 wrote:

You said earlier that it is possible to ski back to the hotel on the palace run, No5 I think? We have skied this many times but can't recall where to leave this run to get back to the Eiger??? I know it goes right back to the Jungfrau hotel & ski school meeting place but assume we would have to leave the road section before this? maybe off piste round the back of the sports centre? I seem to remember a walking path around here, would we have to ski by this?
cheers Suzy

After coming around the large bend on the Palace run it then straightens out, after about 500 yds slow down and you will see a pumping station on the rhs. On the other side you will see a small walking path that then leads onto a road. That road goes behind the Eiger hotel and comes out just before the Palace hotel bridge on the hill so you can ski right back to the ski locker at the Eiger !
snow report
I'm off to Murren tomorrow for three days skiing, Fri, Sat Sun. The trip is to celebrate my 50th birthday and there's 15 of us going (I didn't realise I had so many friends).

We are staying at the Eiger Guesthouse, say hello if you bump into us.
snow report
I'm sure you will have an excellent time, the conditions are looking good with snow forecast over that period. The Eiger Guesthouse is under new management this winter with special nights of Portuguese cuisine, I love portuguese food !!

Have you booked anywhere in the evening to celebrate your birthday ?
ski holidays
telford_mike wrote:
Chris Brookes wrote:
telford_mike wrote:
Chris Brookes wrote:

help please !

On mine there is an option in the WP app menu on the phone 'resize photos' - it doesn't give you an option of how big to resize them but they always comes out at 640x480 which is ok. My WP blog here: http://mike.downhillonly.com

Sorted !
snow report
Chris Brookes, that's a great vid, thanks!

I've always wanted to try that route, but just need to get around to hiring a guide and getting on with it! Looks a lot of fun!
snow report
Chris Brookes wrote:

Sorted !

Good stuff - looking forward to the pics snowHead
snow conditions
Chris Brookes wrote:
I'm sure you will have an excellent time, the conditions are looking good with snow forecast over that period. The Eiger Guesthouse is under new management this winter with special nights of Portuguese cuisine, I love portuguese food !!

Have you booked anywhere in the evening to celebrate your birthday ?

I took the view that in a small place like Murren it would be a logistical nightmare to get all of us sorted for an evening meal, so we've simply booked half board at the guesthouse for our stay. For the day of my actual birthday (Sunday) myelf and a couple of others might book a day of off piste guiding. We will discuss this when weveryone meets up in Murren tomorrow evening (people are travelling from far and wide).
snow report
Spud9, you could have got into any of the hotel restaurants without a problem using the Jungfrau Hotel as an example as they do excellent food at a reasonable price,friendly staff with a great atmosphere and a mad german restaurant manager called Holger. The hotel is now managed by Alan and his wife who used to run the Eiger Guesthouse.

http://www.hoteljungfrau.ch/en/home

Don't mean to put a spanner in the works but Its honestly worth asking if you can get a credit for one evening meal and look elsewhere wink

As for off piste skiing on sunday the weather doesn't look too hot for that but I'm sure your guide will advise !

http://www.muerren.ch/skischule/start-e.htm

village map for you

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 5-01-11 19:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
It says on the Eiger guest house web site that they have south american dancing on Saturday night, get the beers in & we'll be over for a boogie
snow report
SOme useful nuggets of info!
Which places are recommended for lunches? In Wengen they had a good bakery that did some decent sandwiches which actually was quite welcome, don't suppose there's one in Murren is there?

Also... where best for hiring gear?
Cheers Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eddyr wrote:
SOme useful nuggets of info!
Which places are recommended for lunches? In Wengen they had a good bakery that did some decent sandwiches which actually was quite welcome, don't suppose there's one in Murren is there?

Also... where best for hiring gear?
Cheers Wink

The local Bakery is located on the lower road opposite the post office

my selected restaurants on the slopes...plenty more out there ! -

Winteregg : large choice of fresh cooked food and cakes and do the best homemade Rostis (selfservice or order at the table)
Allmendhubel : Small choice of food but can recommend the homemade soups made by Pascal...lovely !!
Schilthornhutte (note: NOT THE SCHILTHORN) : simple but nice...what does it is the views from here while eating your lunch !
Jungfrau Hotel : Located on the nursery Slopes...great choice of food and cake options

I would also suggest making your own,pop into the coop in the morning buy some fresh bread before you go skiing and have a picnic on the slopes

Hiring gear
The closest two which are about 200 yds between them -

Stagersport (Intersport now !!located in the Tourist Centre but have another one at the Schilthornbahn)
http://www.staegersport.ch/

Alfreds Sporthaus (located opposite the Ice skating rink)
http://www.alfredssporthaus.ch/

both the above are excellent with the latest gear
ski holidays
New webcam in the region

Schreckfeld

Pinocchio Lift Scheidegg

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 6-01-11 10:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Chris Brookes,

Good spot! Jungfrau region is rapidly becoming a surveillance society Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Nice to have views of Pistes rather than stations etc
ski holidays
telford_mike, sorted wordpress by finding that re sizing option on the app so thanks for that. I'm now just playing around with the themes etc on my blog .
snow report
I'm going to be in Murren 13-17 Jan. Does anyone have recommendations for a ski guide? We'll be a group of three experienced off-piste skiers but don't know the area and could do with a day with a guide to show us around.

Many thanks,

Jed
snow report
jedster wrote:
I'm going to be in Murren 13-17 Jan. Does anyone have recommendations for a ski guide? We'll be a group of three experienced off-piste skiers but don't know the area and could do with a day with a guide to show us around.

Many thanks,

Jed

Hi Jed, contact Murren Ski School at

http://www.muerren.ch/skischule/start-e.htm

Off piste skiing into the hidden valley from Schilthorn

http://vimeo.com/18376850
ski holidays
Who the hell told the Lauberhorn people they could build a marquee in front of my webcam?
snow report
In Murren now, at the Eiger Hotel Happy Happy Service and food top notch, good facilities (pool and sauna etc - but no hot-tub !). There is an open fire but oddly tucked away in a closed-off smokers' corner, so you don't really get to see it. Skiing is great, especially on the upper slopes. The lower slopes are also good and ice-patches are infrequent but some areas are wearing very thin with soil showing through. The morning hill-climb is very short, about 40m only. The local white wine (Fendant) is good but the slightly more expensive Johannesburg is better.

The hotel staff rock. The breakfast is the standard 4**** selection but made with premium ingredients, and very very tasty.
snow report
Blewyn, Sounds great! Are there many people about at the moment?
snow report
Blewyn, brilliant- looking forward to it. Hopefully a bit more snow will fall before the end of the month to thicken the wearing parts a bit.
I remember on my very brief visit to Murren last year the lower slopes were as you describe, but was only really skiing them to get back down, spent most of the day higher up. Sadly didn't get much opportunity to explore the mountain as it was so foggy that day- kind of ran out of enthusiasm by lunch!
latest report
eddyr, keep an eye on the weather on this snowhead thread....The all new 10/11 Weather Outlook thread
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=64696&start=1200
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy