Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region

Poster: A snowHead
As long as it isn't too cold to snow. Maybe a few extra breaks in the TeePee will be necessary. Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
you all lose
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stab, nice... I'm jealous! You got any more pics?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yes NehNeh

Lauberhorn to wengen, 26th oct. New record for me.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stab, bar steward !!! Toofy Grin

Murren today ....20cm !!(Eiger Hotel / Facebook)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice pics of Central Sports being renovated . I can remember when it was built first!
God I feel old! Any how onwards and downhill I will be there again this season . First week January. Can't wait. Good fall of snow all about but a bit early might make a good base for future snow up on the Mannlichen and lauberhorn.

Is Beannie still active on this Forum?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf

I am suprised our paths have never crossed ! I have been going to Wengen virtually every year since 1952. I remember all the lifts you mentioned The Brunner slpoes and Plum Pudding and I have skied the top track down to Wengen by the old Mannlichenn jump just below Wasserstation and Banwald.

Will be there again early january.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi - I've been to the Wengen and Muerren area a lot over the last 10 years or so, but only stayed in Wengen once.

I'm intrigued by the last post - what was the old Maennlichen jump and what is there now? It wasn't a way of skiing down to Wengen from Maennlichen was it?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shoey, There used to be a small ski jump close to the bottom station of the old Mannlichen Cable Car, so far as I recall it was only ever used by teh local ski school to give displays usually in the evenings.

No there has never been a piste down the front of the Mannlichen though it has been skied on occasion by people, unless they are locals and thus familiar with the chances of avalanches they usually get in a lot of trouble for doing so.

Many years ago (before I can personally remember but my parents could) there was an alternative route to ski into the village, this started near Allmend station and went above the railway line and behind all the buildings in the village before evenually coming out near the outdoor swimming pool.

Holly, it's not impossible that we might have met, far more likely that you might have met my parents who both started skiing in the area arround the same time as yourself
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Old Mannlichen Jump was below the back end of the Lauberhorn towards the Mannlichenn. If You stood on the Wasserstation bridge and looked up towards the top of the Mannlichenn at about 11.00oclock direction it was built there. The commentators hut was built on a tripod of 3 x great big telegraph poles. It was much bigger than the jump up by the old Cable car station at the back of the nursery slopes. I remember skiing past back in the early 60's and it was virtually derelict then! You then skied on behind the Almend station back around the rear of where the Oberland cafe was and down into the back of the nursery slopes--3 or 4 chalets built there now though. I also remember the jump by the old cable car station as when I worked at the ski school as an instructor at Wengen in the late 60's we used to do shows in the evening --jumping in grass skirts and torches. Bloomin chilly !!! Love the place !!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Holly, if you worked as an instructor in Wengen you probably knew some of my early ski school instructors (though I didn't start skiing there till the very early 70's aged 3) Matilde Fuchs was one and anothr was Ruth (can't remember surname) who smoked constantly.

Never realised there was another jump further up the mountain

There also used to be a gentle run behind plum pudding that eventually took you out lower down, think I only did it once or twice and it came out either near the bottom of bumps or maybe somewhere on the run to Innerwengen, can't do that one any longer as it passes through the wildlife areas Sad Likewise no more tree skiing down the racetrack side of bumps Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
New one on me behind the Plum pudding Hill never did that. Matilde Fuchs rings a bell! I was an instructor from 1968 to 71. Then the reality of life crept in ! Don't recall Ruth though. I recall quite a few people from the DHO. Trying to think of other intructors--Christian lauener, Fredi Fuchs and I even remember Heinz Von Allmen who in his time was a formidable skier taking numerous olympic medals. He died not long ago aged 90 odd! I ccould go on reminising but better get back to work.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Holly, remember Heinz and Fredi, Matilde is a little tiny lady a good skier but because of her size often used to take the young kids classes with whom she was very good, what about Fritz Gertsch and his wife Charlotte ? though she might have been slightly after your time.

I can also rember being told by my father that when he first started skiing in Wengen if you wished to ski down the Mannlichen you had to go to Kl Scheidegg then traverse across the mountain before skiing down, apparently they did this on good days and stopped on the Mannlichen for a picnic (probaby with wine) before skiing down to Grund, none of these modern cable car devices Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep Fritz and Charlotte remember them. They lived at the bottom of the village just over the drop from the Alpenrose. My sisiter married a Lauener from Wengen and he was related somehow to Charlotte but long time ago in the dim and distant past.. I dont recall walking around from Scheidegg to Mannlichen. The first year that the Lager lift Tbar was opened it was great as you could ski the back of the Mannlichen and then finish off with a run to Grund, before that you had to go up the cable car and ski to Grund.
I only found out yetsreday of the accident on the Falboden lift! I was there 08/09 season in January 09 and wondered why the lift wasn't working ever. Missed last season due to lack of funds in having moved house so looking forward to the season . I was there in June of this year for a couple of days and walked from Mannlichen to Scheidegg -noticed the new Eigergletcsher chair so will def use that this season.
I think the best lift ever was the original Tbar from inner Wengen were they clipped on the bars as needed !!! Talk about rough over the pylon runners !!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DG Org.
I believe somewhere I read that you live in the New Forest area? If so do you know Bridget Maybe. She skied Wengen in 50's 60's and 70's. The Maybe family always stayed at the Eiger. Last I knew of her she was living very near Burley. Cant remember her married name though.
ski holidays
Great to see STAB back - always love his posts! Where have you been??
snow report
Holly, no the Maybe name is not familiar, as for Fritz and Charlotte they very kindly stick my skis and boots up in their loft when I'm not in Wengen so I know them well Happy

Never realised that the Lager lift was a T-Bar can only ever remember it as a very slow chair, do have not so fond memories of the steep final slope on the Mannlichen T-Bar though, plus I was one of teh first people to use the Mannlichen Gondola from Holenstein middle station the day it opened Happy
snow report
skilegs wrote:
Great to see STAB back - always love his posts! Where have you been??

Yes, it is good to see STAB back.
Its a new season and new jumps to be made....how long will it be until he does his back in ?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 31-10-10 8:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Season start on 20.11.2010

Depending on snow conditions, winter-sport transport facilities will open as follows:

First
20-21, 27-28 November and 4-5 December.

Daily from 11 December 2010 – 3 April 2011.

Kleine Scheidegg-Männlichen
20-21 (Kleine Scheidegg), 27-28 November and from 4 December 2010 – 10 April 2011.
The following chairlifts operate on Kleine Scheidegg: Arven, Honegg, Lauberhorn, Wixi and Eigernordwand until 25.4.2011, depending on snow conditions.

Mürren-Schilthorn
Schiltgrat chairlift daily from 27 November 2010, depending on snow conditions. All other lifts from 4 December 2010 – 25 April 2011

New Egg Skibar at Eigergletscher (Eiger Glacier)
There will be a new Egg Skibar near the summit station, serving hot dogs, sandwiches and goulash soup as well as an attractive range of drinks. Opening mid-December 2010.

Restaurant First with service again
New host Res Künzi will again be providing old-style table service in part of the interior and on part of the sun terrace. On Saturdays and Sundays, early risers can enjoy the First winter breakfast buffet!

«Widderfeldhitta» Skibar: new in the First area
From December 2010, a new gastronomic offer will be available above the bottom station of the Oberjoch chairlift. Adi Bohren will give you a warm welcome, both inside and on the spacious terrace
snow report
DG Org.
Further to my last rant about the Mannlichen Jump and the run back to Wengen above the railway line. I was just passing time last evening and cam upon an article on the net. Go to Google and look up Wengerenalpbahn Improvements. Then go to about the 4th entry down' History of the Venues in the course of the Decades' It shows if you scroll down a photo of the Helvetia Hotel which burnt down (Before my time !) and also shows and describes locations of the original ski jumps in and around Wengen. The photo shown is what I always knew as the Mannlichen jump however, they cal it another name---Intersesting snippet of Wengen history!!
latest report
Holly, Thanks for that - very interesting. I think it must have been more fun in those days - less rules and more adventure.
ski holidays
Hello Ski Legs

I could ramble on for pages and pages re Wengen History --Went there first when I was 2 and started skiing at 3 and have only missed a few seasons ---many many happy days spent there. Next visit January 2nd for a week--can't wait.
ski holidays
skilegs, Are you intending visiting Wengen this season? I've booked my usual week in March (12th to 19th) Very Happy . With the poor exchange rate currently I decided to go with a Tour Operator (Inghams) as their prices certainly seem no more than it would cost me going independently - I suppose they arranged their contracts with the hotels and coach transfer companies when the pound was stronger. Also Inghams allow you to prepurchase the lift pass at a guaranteed price (whole Jungfrau area 6 day pass for £190, buying in resort costs 314CHF, which at current rate of 1.54 to the £ would be over £203).

Incidentally for those who don't know, and have independent arrangements, www.swisspasses.com sell the Jungfrau area ski pass (and many other Swiss resort passes too) at a nominal 10% discount, so their price is currently £186.50, however once you've added on the £7 special delivery the Inghams deal was better for me. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Alastair Pink, Am going to be there for 10 days from 28 January for Mcmillan week. Sorry to miss you but have a wonderful week. Still my favourite Swiss resort with fond memories of my repping days!
snow conditions
Snowed last night. Not much but enough to make everything from Brandegg upwards white.
snow report
LaserStock wrote:
Snowed last night. Not much but enough to make everything from Brandegg upwards white.

Any pictures ??
snow conditions

It's not perfect but it's the best view I can get without walking miles.
snow report
Thankyou !!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can't wait for January . !!!!!!!
latest report
Will be returning there 5th Feb Happy
snow conditions
www.wengen.com is now on twitter ............... http://twitter.com/wengenCOM

Schilthorn - Piz Gloria on Facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Schilthorn-Piz-Gloria/131445576886925
snow conditions
34 masts flown to Wengen

Today, 3 November 2010, Air-Glacier flew 34 catenary masts to Wengen for the Wengernalp Railway.
A 900-metre-long double-track section is under construction above Wengen. The project will cost 9.6 million Swiss francs. Thanks to the double track, the Wengernalp Railway will in future be able to maintain a continual regular half-hourly service. The long waiting times at Wengen railway station will also be a thing of the past. Construction began in mid-September with the goal of putting the section of double track into operation for the timetable change in December 2011.

Link to article and pictures -
http://www.jungfrau.ch/nc/en/tourism/news-events/news/details/archive/2010/11/article/34-masten-nach-wengen-geflogen-573/
snow report
check this out -

Speedflying in Wengen 2010

http://youtube.com/v/ivqiP5ejRa0&feature=player_embedded#!
latest report
Its interesting that they are fitting the masts to carry the overhead power (i assume) before doing groundworks or building embankments/cuttings.
I do like watching stuff like this progress Smile
latest report
lampbus wrote:
Its interesting that they are fitting the masts to carry the overhead power (i assume) before doing groundworks or building embankments/cuttings.
I do like watching stuff like this progress Smile

check out this on facebook then (inspecting/replacing of the Birg - Schilthorn cables)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Schilthorn-Piz-Gloria/131445576886925
latest report
lampbus, yes it is intresting, perhaps a little surprising as well but I think it might be that the posts need to be set in concrete so they want to do those before the temps drop too low, whilst the track is only set onto stones
ski holidays
At least 30cm snow has fallen at Kleine Scheidegg last night and today. There is a chance some lifts will open this weekend but they won't know until Friday. I would put some pics up but it has been too cloudy most of the day for any good ones.
ski holidays
Picture from www.wengen.com

ski holidays
In previous seasons there was a website called jungfrauwinter.com which gave lots of info about open lifts, pistes, restaurants etc. This has now gone, apparently to be replaced by a new collection of pages on the regular jungfrau.ch site.

I can't find the detailed piste / lift info anywhere on there (though God knows it's difficult to navigate). Am I missing something, or has all this info disappeared forever?
ski holidays
telford_mike, Just had a look and could not find it
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy