Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Weather in Niederau

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Carolyn i remember staying there as a child about 35 years ago and he hasn't changed my mother-in-law is staying there this year when we come on the 19th of Jan.
We always stay with Christine Jochum so its nice and close for her.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, it is the place to be! I am teaching on that slope this week and pop in at lunch times - lovely! Weather today as predicted, clear and sunny.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just had the travel agent on the phone- the Harfenwirt is overbooked, so they are transfering us to the Sonneschein- agent calls it an upgrade- has anybody stayed there before? Can see they're owned by the same people.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I stayed there 4 years ago. It is a more modern hotel and I believe has a 1 star higher rating. The food was even better than at the Harfenwirt, as I believe there was more choice. The bath towels were much bigger and fluffier. I would definitely say it was an upgrade in terms of the standard of the hotel, but it is further from the ski slopes. When we were there we had a little train taking us up to the Harfenwirt every morning and back again in the afternoon. I did not see the train last year, so it may not be running any more. It is possible to walk or ski between the 2 across the field and over the cross-country route. If you have children the Sonneshein would be better for you as there is a games room in the basement with table tennis and children's games. There is also a crazy golf course in the garden, but only visible if there is no snow. Which week are you there that is over-booked?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank for that- we're flying out this Saturday, so it seems a little last minute to me, but we did get a pretty good deal on the package- can't wait now!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I saw some really good deals advertised this week (£218 I think). What's more - snow is forecast. Hope you have a good time.

Another good thing about the Sonneschein is that we had a fridge in the room - so we could store milk to make tea/coffee and a few beers for "emergencies". The spa facilities there were quite extensive too - with 2 large swimming pools.

It is downhill from Harfenwirt to Sonneschein at the end of the day, but takes a bit longer to go uphill at the start. About 10 minutes walking across the field or 15-20 minutes around by road.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
£218- holy cow what did that include???
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Half board in Harfenwirt for 7 days from 12th January plus travel - from Birmingham, Manchester or Gatwick to Saltzberg. If Harfenwirt is full, maybe the advert was false. It is showing as £343 on J2ski.com now. I think sometimes when you drill in the details are different from what appears on the screen to entice you in the first place. We had Sonneschein for £305 when we went 4 years ago and only booked 2 weeks on advance. We thought that was superb. That time it was Cardiff to Innsbruck, but Cardiff is no longer an option. Last year it cost me almost £700 as I left it too late and the prices went sky high with 4 weeks to go.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We paid £330 half board from Birmingham, with ski hire included, for the Harfenwirt, about a month ago. Not looked at prices since then really.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That's really good - especially as you have now been upgraded.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wow - quite a lot going to Harfenwirt then. I've booked a late minute for there too. Coming with my brother on the 12th (3 days to go - wahooo). £317 HB with crystal - bargain! snowHead and snow on the way too!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For a single room, there weren't any options for the 19th (when I would have preferred to go) and even for the 26th I didn't get it as nearly cheap as some of you above

Prices just don't seem to have been dropping as low this ear as they have before, and places were disappearing fast. I had tried to book the Sonnschein for the 19th, but somebody else got the last place when I wwas three quarters way through the process Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Maybe we should all try for a meet up sometime in the week Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For identification purposes I will be the one with the short grey chinny beard and my brother will be the dour looking bloke with me at the bar Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'll be the one wearing the Union flag helmet trying to look like I can ski and failing (staying at the Austria so close to the lifts) Very Happy
latest report
Gosh, looks like we will be full of Snowheads Smile The forecast snow has arrived and it is all white and pretty again! More snow for the next few days and then cold and sunny - life is hard in the mountains Smile
ski holidays
The only reason I will be dour looking dear brother is because I have to share a bathroom with you for a week! For i.d. purposes I'm the tall one on the Motorhead skis
latest report
All Packed Taxi arriving at 0415
see you all on the slopes Very Happy
latest report
gustick, You may be sharing a bed as well if you have an Austrian twin. I had to share one with my brother 4 years ago. The last time we had to do that I was 14 and he was 6.
ski holidays
J Rhiannon, he hasn't got a twin and he's not even Austrian anyway! So you're out of luck ... God this forum is quite forward and racey Laughing
snow report
Finishing off a few bits for work, drop the dog off at the folks' and we'll be off too- flying from Brum this afternoon- can't wait!
snow report
You lucky people who are going to Niederau today. It seems to be snowing quite a lot there now.
snow report
beeryletcher, It helps to go forward when you're racing.
Toofy Grin
latest report
So, we had lots of snow Friday and Saturday and the skiing was amazing, lots of fresh powder and all runs great condition. Yes, I tried them all just to make sure! Cold and clear today, snow canons have been on over the last few days as well. Have a great time Smile Carolyn
snow conditions
Thats great to hear hope you get some more this week for my arrival next Sat.
ski holidays
Lets hope so I arrive on 19th staying at Tirolerhof in Oberau
ski holidays
Snowing and minus 4 today Smile
ski holidays
Please let us know if the snow forecast over the next few days arrives.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, it was snowing yesterday and more is coming over the next few days. Today minus 4 and clear so far. Pistes gorgeous!
ski holidays
More snow yesterday and today has dwaned clear, sunny and minus 7.8 All is as it should be Smile
ski holidays
We had snow here today too. About 2 inches fell between 5:30 and 6:30 this morning in a blizzard. Then it turned more to sleet. Shortly after 9 it started to clear up and now it is virtually all gone again. This has caused chaos in Swansea and work is abandoned for the day as my office is closed along with most of the schools and many other things too. We just can't cope with snow here.
ski holidays
Oh that's a shame, you need to come back here and enjoy it Smile Warmed up to minus 2 and snow not expected til Tuesday.
latest report
Just back from a week in Niederau. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday had fairly constant snow fall. Took lots of off piste opportunities, particularly in Auffach and Alpbach including several top to bottom decents. Especially good was from the top at Auffach all the way to valley floor at Inneralpbach. Thigh deep powder in top 1/2 and plenty untouched. Well, untouched before my brother and I tracked the hell out of it all snowHead

Pistes (when needed) varied from deep powder (Thursday especially) to well groomed, to hardpack, to chopped up (love that best). All in all, great condiitions for the whole week to utilise all one's skills. Only 2 months to go before Piesey-Vallandry ... bring it on !
snow conditions
Will be arriving in Niederau on Saturday evening. Very excited, not been skiing abroad since 2008. Smile
snow report
jonny909, Where are you staying?

I'll be arriving on Saturday too (but hopefully about lunchtime).
snow conditions
We are to have snow today and tomorrow, with the sun returning Wednesday, minus 2 this morning. Smile
snow conditions
@alex_heney , We'll be staying at the Sonnschein.
ski holidays
Arrived back from a week in the Sonneschein on Saturday- hotel was good- nice location, rooms were good, food was belly fill I suppose, and there was plenty of it, but I wouldn't say it was good. Pool was nice. GF and her mate were complementary of the ski school. Apres Ski was not exactly exciting, other than the round tent by the bottom of the Markbackjosh Gondola, which was run by a Dutch guy, who was a great laugh

Had a fair bit of snow last week, and a good week skiing- Friday over in Auffach and down to Inneralpbach was awesome. We didn't get on the bus to Auffach until the last day but one, and got a little bored of the Skiing in Niederau- get over there quicker would be my advice.
snow report
I am heading out to Niederau on 16th Feb, staying at Sonneschein too. First time in Austria skiing, glad to hear there is plenty of snow Smile Will be keeping a check on here for updates. Really looking forward to the trip.
snow conditions
Anyone going out on 2nd Feb? I will be flying from Birmingham in the afternoon and staying in the Harfenwirt.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 21-01-13 20:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy