Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zillertal 2023/24

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks all. Turns out that the rental shop at the Tuxerfernhaus was not renting today so went to the inter sport instead. 37 Euro for a board for the day.

Conditions started off pretty good, I was up at the top for 9, it had frozen overnight so the snow was firm. I rode all the hill till 12.30 and called it a day as the heat was getting to the snow. Overall, much better than I'd hoped for.

Yes that is me falling over at the end of the video, didn't see these bumps coming.

http://youtube.com/v/gmwbg53WUz4?si=2lCSVCxJhWD0T3Yc
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JimboS, that looks alright up there. It was difficult to tell on Saturday.....

20240615-112017
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Drove over to St Wolfgang this morning cross country, up and down mountain passes. It was seriously hot in a soft top car with no AC, didn't expect these temps at this time of the year. Can't complain though as the forecast was rain a couple of days ago.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can't see anything on the Zillertal Arena website, but it seems as though they're replacing the Teufeltal chair. The final chair you take when heading from Zell to Gerlos.

We went up the Isskogel gondola this morning, before walking to the peak of Isskogel and had planned to head down the Krummbachtal however the route Wanderweg 2 was closed so we couldn't do our intended walk.

There was lots of building work going on at the top and bottom stations of the Teufeltal chair, as well as new pylon bases being installed.

20240629-104054

20240629-104308
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Time for a 24/25 thread, just booked up for the week beginning 22nd March 25. Almost booked up the Neu Haus again but Kim said it would be bad luck doing the same holiday as this year, so booked Mikes Sports Bar again.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The tux looking pretty good with still 20km open

I think it was last August it was trickling from 6km down to 2km of muddy slush
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was looking in to potential ski touring routes for next season, and one of them is in the old abandoned ski area of Fürstalm which is in Gmund just before Gerlos.

https://files.skimap.org/owkn0970utznlvyeqt4ro4wqnqsq.jpg

Did anyone ever ski this area when it was open?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@swskier, the link didn’t work for me. Any chance to post a picture?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@JimboS, good for you to get back there after the accident. My wife is only just off crutches 13 weeks later. Still bruised. Doctors think Easter to ski. We will see!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@swskier, it was probably the slowest chair known to man. Last link to speed up and make the whole route comfortable. Glad it’s a chair they are putting in (from the news looks that way) as the whole Arena seems to have gone gondola crazy even for short rides.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@swskier, I did Toofy Grin
Pleasant enough but not very interesting.
Go and have a look at it before you plan to ski tour there. I've a vague notion that there are signs at the bottom banning ski touring. Puzzled
And trees have been allowed to grow, at least in the lowest section that you can see from the car park.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Matrix, picture here:

Screenshot-2024-07-14-at-17-29-19

You can see the lifts and runs on there.

@SaraJ, I thought you might have been there, planning to possibly walk it next weekend, if the weather is ok. The route on the apps on my phone looks like it has summer mountain/alm roads running up there, and going by the route on the Alpenverein Aktiv site, it looks as though it was updated in March this year, so hopefully it's doable still.

https://www.alpenvereinaktiv.com/de/tour/kirchspitze-2312-m-von-gerlos/25513614/

Today was a new one for me, we went up the lift at Ahorn (haven't been up or skied there yet) and went on a hike to the Edelhütte but not the usual/easier route. Instead up via the Filzenkogel and Toreggenkopf. In hindsight not a particularly sensible idea with the dog as it's a ridge walk with pretty high consequences if you fell, and 2 people told us it wasn't a good idea, but we made it anyway. We probably also ought to have taken our hiking poles as well....

Stunning views up there though, when the clouds passed through.

20240714-140055

20240714-140257

We didn't spend long in the Edelhütte as we arrived at about 3:15pm and last lift back down was at 5pm, but a quick snack that was very nice, and fairly reasonably priced too.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Matrix wrote:
@JimboS, good for you to get back there after the accident. My wife is only just off crutches 13 weeks later. Still bruised. Doctors think Easter to ski. We will see!

After I broke my leg at Hill End, I was really worried the first day back on snow, however the anxiety only lasted a few minutes once sliding. I know Kim is also a worried about getting back on the horse, so much so that I haven't booked a Jan trip for us, let's hope they both get their confidence back for Easter.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The tux looking decidedly yellower on the webcams but still 16km open
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
To update anyone that's interested in knowing about the Fürstalm area for ski touring.

We walked it last weekend, right up to the Kirchspitze at 2314m, as well as the Arbiskogel at 2048m. It's a lovely area and very quiet up there, as there's no Huts to stop at for food and drink. We saw a grand total of 5 other hikers, which if you saw how busy the Zillertal is currently, that's seriously quiet.

Ski touring looks as though it's ok, just not in the areas that used to be the run back down to the valley, as they've planted a load of new trees there.

As you can see the route is marked when walking up the forest/farm track
20240720-124105
20240720-124103
Warning signs about skiing in the newly forested area that was the valley run
20240720-124841
There's beautiful views along the Wimmertal, down in the valley there is 2 restaurants down there, and it was a lot busier along there
20240720-131305
The Arbiskogel peak, featuring Max the dog
20240720-143208
Yours truly at the top of Kirchspitze along with Max
IMG-20240720-WA0021

In total the walk was 17.5km and 1168m elevation, those figures would drop a bit touring as we'd take a more direct route, skipping Arbiskogel, and also skipping Kirchspitze as it would be difficult to access in the winter, although not impossible, I have seen someone do it on a YouTube video.
latest report
Down to 7km and looking a bit grey!
snow report
@8611, I saw some pictures the other day and it didn't look pretty!
snow conditions
Seems to now be showing as completely closed Sad

Another talisman. Is that the first time ever, or did it close previously a year or two ago?
ski holidays
@8611, not surprising perhaps seeing this....

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C-dQajhN4Jr/?igsh=d3B1d2ZlZDd0djV6
snow report
@8611, I cannot remember it closing before.
snow conditions
Webcams don't look pretty at all. We walked from Hintertux up to Sommerberg last Friday after work, and they have big covers over the snow just above Tuxerfernerhaus.
snow conditions
@swskier, Jesus! That looks dangerous.

Could get interesting now if the season is slow to start. Like whatever about it being closed for a week if temps don't fall on time I presume it'll be a lot longer.
snow conditions
I thought it had closed for a few weeks last year too. Google maps updated their pic of the glacier right at the end of last summer when it looked very grim, even less snow than currently. Open the map and zoom in.
snow report
I definitely remember it being touch and go and thought they had like 2km open or something in very grim circumstances, maybe even that closed for a day or two. But could be mistaken. All these bad news climate events blend into one alas.
snow report
Some photos courtesy of @SaraJ of the new reservoir being built just up above the Penken Kombi lift (which I totally failed to notice whilst talking to her stood next to it Eh oh! )

Sara's partner was running the Mayrhofen Ultraks 30k today. A trail race including 2000m elevation gain, tough going in todays heat!

https://mayrhofen.ultraks.com/

Really busy in Mayrhofen today with a great atmosphere for the event, with the start/finish having moved to the main street.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy