Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2023/24 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@radar, thanks George. Interesting divergence - surprisingly the Chicken Man is relatively inexpensive.
I’ve just (an hour ago) partaken of one at the Walleggalm, and it was €9.60.
Love the Hochhörndlhütte.
Never heard of the Breuistalm (or anywhere that sounds like it - is it one that I haven’t yet discovered?)
I think it’s also worth commenting that size matters - in terms of the serving bowl, that is.
The Kraller Alm may be a case in point: but if its bowls are a normal size, it seems to represent exceptional value - as it’s a great restaurant.
And of course no discussion about gulasch soup would be complete without a mention of the wonderful (currently fairly inaccessible) Hecherhütte, whose gulasch soup reigns supreme - but I haven’t checked this season’s price (which is actually hardly relevant, as the quality is so much higher than elsewhere).

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 22-01-24 21:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@radar, you really like your goulash soup Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tatmanstours, it’s another of my misspellings rolling eyes

I totally agree, Chicken man ( hendl-fischerei.at ) good value .
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Freefall, I hardly ever have it Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is Saturday a good day to get a private lesson as it’s changeover day?
Any recommendations for a good intermediate instructor?
We are staying in Hinterglemm
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@donie75, from page 12
tatmanstours wrote:

“any recommendations for a ski instructor in the area?”

I would suggest Penhab Ski & Snowboard School. Run by Reini Woisi, there are some well regarded and experienced Bulgarian instructors employed by him, including Georgi Popov, Iavor Vasilew, Kris Dragoshinov.

Experienced and competent British instructors include Nick Tilby and John Walker (Furstauer), Simon Hodges (Snow Academy), Stuart Watt (Easyski), and the ebullient après-ski king of Saalbach, David Spacey (who told me today that he’s got his season pass and is keen to do some teaching to supplement his earnings as an entertainer). Spacey is best described as freelance, but he occasionally works for Penhab.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It’s been snowing all morning

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Went to ski zell am see but zell express closed
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Freefall, not surprised. High winds have closed the link to Fieberbrunn, as well as a considerable list of gondolas and chair lifts - 13 at the last count.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As I have discovered. Aborted trip to leogang as too risky
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Freefall, if you haven’t already download the Saalbach app, you will get live lift/runs info.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Guys - is anyone else getting emails about updates to the thread yet when following the link there is no update? Had several over the past few days. Very odd.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was getting a link that was taking me to page 17 even though the thread had gone onto page 18
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Boofont, the forum sends emails on edits as well as new posts - if you click on the link and it goes to a new message, it is genuinely new. If you click on it and it goes to a message from earlier that you've already read, that message was edited and that's what you are being notified about. The edit is noted in the footer of the post.

E.g.

Quote:
Last edited by tatmanstours on Mon Jan 22, 24 20:01; edited 1 time in total

Where a post is trying to record useful information, it is fairly common to go back and edit it regularly as new information becomes available, e.g. https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=165321&start=640#5238045
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Boofont, @Freefall, I’ve just edited the goulash soup index as @ousekjarr, states you will get a notification
snow conditions
Ok! Noted! Makes sense.

I’ll bear that in mind. Found myself editing a post loads last week as I don’t have my glasses on! Laughing
ski holidays
I'm out in hinterglemm right now and was wondering if anyone knows of a good boot fitter?

I've been interested in some 130s for a while and think after 7 years (2 trips a year) my stock liners are gone. Its like skiing with your foot in a slushy!

Likely I've left it too late, but it's chucking it down right now and warm so may have spare time tomorrow.

(I'm figuring an Austrian boot fitter will.be better than any chance I have in the uk!)
ski holidays
@slider3, not Hinterglemm but Saalbach, Marcellus at www.sporthagleitner.com/en/ is very good. The shop is very close to where the ski bus comes in at the Schattberg Xpress, walk through the car park.
snow conditions
Thanks for that. May be doing lunch down there tomorrow depending on how much white stuff is left. Following on the above, I'm quite a fan of the goulash in the Barnalm which could fit in well with new shoes.
ski holidays
@slider3, ski the Bergkogel all the way down and you will come out right by the shop
snow report
Love the irony. Skied that run last couple of days to get across into leogang and the lower saalbach bit (I forget the name), walked straight past it while moaning in my head about my boots. More shopping and less skiing maybe (not!). Thaks again though.
snow report
@slider3,don’t beat yourself up, you probably waled across from the Bernkogel to get the lift (elevator) up, the bit I mean is the it’s the final bit to get you to the Schattberg xpress, you go straight on at the Soul house
snow report
@slider3, flying out on Saturday, a bit worried about the rain down low today - how's it holding up?
snow conditions
It's not bad at all. Rain stopped now. Little bit soft slushy on very lower slopes. Powdery on top
latest report
Freefall wrote:
It's not bad at all. Rain stopped now. Little bit soft slushy on very lower slopes. Powdery on top

Thanks
ski holidays
Has anyone else noticed the significant increase in Brits coming to Saalbach? At one time it was unusual to hear British accents, so much so that I would invariably pipe up and ask where they came from, or whether they were Snowheads (invariably to blank expressions, as though I was asking if they were cocaine users). Nowadays it’s so commonplace to hear British voices that I half expect it.
snow conditions
@tatmanstours, there are way too many! Definitely an increase!
ski holidays
Crystal, inghams, ski miquel all advertise Saalbach.

Ps I'm here independently and don't look English!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RAF Ski and Snowboard champs have been on in Saalbach Hinterglemm the last two weeks so more Brits than usual perhaps
Andy
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, @radar, sorry about that for next week then! There are 4 of us, and we are Snowheads!
snow report
Wet start today, went over to Fieberbrunn blowing at the top, nice snow slightly heavy, weather improved not busy, great day

latest report
@Restless native, they are regular visitors.

More British here definitely
snow report
radar wrote:
@Restless native, they are regular visitors.

More British here definitely

I know, Íve been out as part of the Champs many times. After getting married in Zell Am See I spent my honeymoon in Hinterglemm, love the place and not surprised there are more British people there. It is promoted on here enough snowHead
Andy
latest report
“ It is promoted on here enough”

Good point. Can we henceforth please encourage people to keep going to France.
ski holidays
Non
snow report
As a family we alternate between Austria and France for our winter hols … but nothing, absolutely nothing beats the beauty and hospitality of places such as Saalbach (and Zell and the smaller resorts around Salzburg) in spring and summer. Just give me a plate of schnitzel and erdapfelsalat and a crisp glass of Riesling.
snow conditions
Hi Guys. Reading a lot of comments on high temps in the Pyrenees and western Alps leading to less than ideal conditions as you would expect. How's things looking over in Austria for those with boots on the ground or know the weather patterns better than me please.
snow report
Anyone have tips for where to get some private ski lessons in Hinterglemm/Saalbach on Feb 11/12? Most places seem booked up already and I wasnt able to plan ahead as far as I wanted this year due to my wife deciding we were going to Austria rather than France! Smile
snow report
@mwhalber, copied from Page 12:

tatmanstours
snowHead
Wed 20 Dec, 23 01:09
@Mother hucker,
“any recommendations for a ski instructor in the area?”

I would suggest Penhab Ski & Snowboard School. Run by Reini Woisi, there are some well regarded and experienced Bulgarian instructors employed by him, including Georgi Popov, Iavor Vasilew, Kris Dragoshinov.

Experienced and competent British instructors include Nick Tilby and John Walker (Furstauer), Simon Hodges (Snow Academy), Stuart Watt (Easyski), and the ebullient après-ski king of Saalbach, David Spacey (who told me today that he’s got his season pass and is keen to do some teaching to supplement his earnings as an entertainer). Spacey is best described as freelance, but he occasionally works for Penhab.
latest report
Quote:

thanks!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy