Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Things I don’t get about (other people) skiing

Poster: A snowHead
@bezthespaniard, if it's just about 'making memories', why bother going skiing at all? Just get the ski-holiday-plus-getting-pissed memory implant, à la Total Recall.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Contrarian wrote:
@bezthespaniard, if it's just about 'making memories', why bother going skiing at all? Just get the ski-holiday-plus-getting-pissed memory implant, à la Total Recall.

Fully booked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm all for Live and let Ski - as long as people are not recklessly put in danger.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
I used not to "get" why people spent a fortune for a day's skiing then spent a couple of hours of it sitting around having drinks or lunch.

But I get it now. Madeye-Smiley

Sometines can't beat it... Up to top lift, ski down to the bar with the prettiest outlook then people watch and soak up the atmosphere and scenery with a beer or 3.. Rinse, repeat a couple of times.. Awesome day in the mountains Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
vipa66 wrote:
pam w wrote:
I used not to "get" why people spent a fortune for a day's skiing then spent a couple of hours of it sitting around having drinks or lunch.

But I get it now. Madeye-Smiley

Sometines can't beat it... Up to top lift, ski down to the bar with the prettiest outlook then people watch and soak up the atmosphere and scenery with a beer or 3.. Rinse, repeat a couple of times.. Awesome day in the mountains Laughing

Some people go for a skiing holiday. Others go skiing. That’s the difference.

Some people like to “socialize” with strangers. Others like to ski as fast away from others. To each their own.

I don’t get why people don’t “get” there’re people who like different things? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
abc wrote:
... I don’t get why people don’t “get” there’re people who like different things? Toofy Grin
This.

I ride a now and then with the guy in the image below, who's a patroller these days. Last season he explained how working as a patroller had led him to realize that most people at a ski resort aren't like me and him. Most people - who pay his wages - aren't much interested in skiing and snowboarding as a sport, it's a social thing for them. They potter down the pistes, stopping every few meters for a little chat; we're never going to stop between the top and the bottom. We're doing a sport, they're on holiday.

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@phil_w, presumably, from the first word of your post, you don't intend to denigrate the holidaymakers, but the tone of your post (and the photograph of someone who is plainly a remarkable athlete and yet prepared to ski with you) makes you sound as though you consider yourself far superior to the average holidaymaker.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle wrote:
@phil_w, presumably, from the first word of your post, you don't intend to denigrate the holidaymakers, but the tone of your post (and the photograph of someone who is plainly a remarkable athlete and yet prepared to ski with you) makes you sound as though you consider yourself far superior to the average holidaymaker.

There is a clear difference between the average 1-2 week per year holiday skier (which is the majority) and people that are doing seasons and pushing their limits a bit. Stop trying to make out this is some kind of elitism, it's just facts. I play tennis 7-10 times per year for fun, I wouldn't compare myself to someone doing it as a serious hobby. Skiing is the only sport people do 2 weeks per year and claim they are advanced/expert at.

The funny thing is he was actually agreeing that people enjoy different things and the sentiment was there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@boarder2020, I'm not doing the comparing. And in my opinion, for the reason I stated, @phil_w's view is at best ambiguous.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hurtle, it's not ambiguous. He's not claiming one is better than the other. The fact you choose to make that assumption may say more about your own feelings/insecurities NehNeh

Someone doing park run once per week =/= someone recreationally training for a half marathon =/= elite marathon runner. Doesn't mean they don't all run, doesn't mean they don't all equally enjoy running. But you can't compare what they are doing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@boarder2020, for the second time, I am not comparing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is often an impression given by some in their posts that the 1-2 week holiday skier/boarder is a lesser mortal than the "all out balls out" first to last lift, lunch on the go, multi-week (more than 2), piste optional, skier/boarder. Most of it is unintentional, some of it is pure willy waving. The thing to remember is whether you are the former or the latter, you are a skier/boarder. Snowheads caters for all and no group is better than the other. So, all need to be mindful of what you post and the language you use in your post. The mountains are there for all to enjoy while we can. Happy sliding everyone Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skiing, like cycling, are probably two of the biggest “activities” where the holiday makers, hobbyist and the “athletes” have a lot in common. (Maybe golf too?)

Both REQUIRES a minimum level of physical ability. Both are more enjoyable the better you’re at it. That breeds the subconscious contempt many “hobbyist” looking down at the holiday makers for not pursuing the “activity” with more passion to get more enjoyment out of it. All the while the holiday makers are enjoying themselves as best as they can.

We don’t see serious swimmers or triathletes looking down at people sunbathing on the beach for “wasting their time by the sea without getting IN it”!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 16-07-23 23:32; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@halfhand, @abc, agreed. Except, @abc, I suspect you meant minimum, not minimal.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hurtle, you’re correct. Thanks.
snow conditions
If you like a long lunch don't ever come to NZ. If you can find a ski area that has catering, it will only usually be a dodgy pie.

I ride all day and have a quick sandwich or radix stop because there's nothing else to do Very Happy

Because I'm not used to it, when I'm overseas I can't get into stopping for a long lunch - it just turns into stopping for the rest of the day, which I'm fine with.
ski holidays
People who see recreational skiing as a sport..... Puzzled
latest report
Klamm Franzer wrote:

Sport is a recreation!
snow report
Quote:

Both are more enjoyable the better you’re at it.

I'm not sure that's completely true. Sure the very beginner stage is not much fun. However my favourite season was my first, where I started firmly as a beginner and reached what I'd consider to be decent intermediate by the end. At that stage every day is new and exciting and progression is fast.

I'm actually sometimes jealous of the one week per year skiers. What for me now would be considered "dust on crust" is an "epic pow day" for them. I know realistically I'm not going to improve much more. An epic day out really needs a good line in good conditions, and even then I'm somewhat disappointed if I don't feel I really got down in good style.

I'm sure the guys training hard for the Olympics would love to give up a few hours in the gym and doing drills to potter about with some friends and enjoy a long lunch!

Quote:

That breeds the subconscious contempt many “hobbyist” looking down at the holiday makers for not pursuing the “activity” with more passion to get more enjoyment out of it. All the while the holiday makers are enjoying themselves as best as they can.

Nothing @phil_w said was at all looking down on "holiday skiers". You are reading into something that wasn't there. He's right, for many the ski holiday is as much about nice accommodation, good food, apres, spending time with friends etc. than the actual skiing. There's nothing wrong with that, and I don't think they are enjoying their time any less. But, let's not pretend their interests/goals/what they derive enjoyment from is comparable to other groups of skiers.
snow report
I think it's a mindset.

Using that old vernacular, it maybe depends on how "sporty" you are/were?

If you actively participated in sports and maybe competed since childhood you're naturally going to have a different mindset to those that didn't.

The majority of Geezoniares think that what a few of us get up to including the OH is bonkers, as they prefer a more relaxed approach to their skiing, which doesn't involve first lifts and or not using lifts, not having lunch or coffee stops etc Laughing

So it is each to their own, but I would say on the whole "they" would admit to not having a "sporty" background.

I do a number of sports away from the mountains, and in all of those I strive to be competent and push myself to achieve a relatively high standard alongside my contemporaries who also partake in them.

I'm shortly to start a journey on a new sport where I will be that total beginner muppet and a few mates are really looking forward to that, I'm just hoping that my "sporty" background will shorten the learning curve, but I'm going to be giving up the equivalent of ripping down the hill for the next couple of months to being that beginner learning to ski.
snow conditions
boarder2020 wrote:
Quote:

That breeds the subconscious contempt many “hobbyist” looking down at the holiday makers for not pursuing the “activity” with more passion to get more enjoyment out of it. All the while the holiday makers are enjoying themselves as best as they can.

Nothing @phil_w said was at all looking down on "holiday skiers". You are reading into something that wasn't there.

I wasn’t specifically commented on a particular post. But the common theme expressed by quite many posters who are “better skiers”.
latest report
Klamm Franzer wrote:

Interesting question.
Is skiing a sport, a recreation, a form of walking or a form of dance? Laughing
ski holidays
Better/more dedicated/approach as a sport doesn't actually mean "better" as a qualitative experience. As @boarder2020 says I'd love to be at the level of stoke some newbies are at for cruising a mundane blue run in crappy conditions. I often feel that competition by measurement (outside formal races/competition) e.g. Strava/skitracks recording is a bit of a substitute for actual enjoyment. And I will stop mid run if I don't feel I'm doing good turns or want a breather etc to reboot because it isn't actually a competition. In fact the best competition in skiing is probably something like the 100 turns challenge instead of pissing down a groomer in 10 turns or so, try to get in as close to 100 as you can (also works in getting you down mogul fields when you're knacked set a strict limit of 20 turns between rests).
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Better/more dedicated/approach as a sport doesn't actually mean "better" as a qualitative experience.

Yeah, “better” than what you would have been had you not bothered to work on it. And I would suggest that for the majority of people, that lead to more enjoyment.

If you’re no longer enjoying more while skiing more, I’d suggest you should ski less. Stop more often, get up later and quit earlier to have a beer or 3 with mates instead of ditching them.

I do that when the condition is less than ideal.
ski holidays
@Peter S, you forgot the term”pastime” in your list of possible buckets to put skiing into.

I read somewhere that the term “sport” refers to activities involving killing things like fox hunting. Football etc were games.

I gather that some people like going to restaurants, some like bars, some like staying in hotels rather than self catering. Some prefer doing other things. Does it matter?

My view is that the more people who buy lift passes then don’t use them by sitting in restaurants the better. They are funding my enjoyment and should be encouraged
latest report
Peter S wrote:
Klamm Franzer wrote:

Interesting question.
Is skiing a sport, a recreation, a form of walking or a form of dance? Laughing

Anyone who’s not a professional athlete, sport can only be a recreation! What else can it be? rolling eyes Oh right, an outdoor gym! Wink

Walking (I think you mean something like hill walking, not just walking down to the pub) and dancing are for most people recreation. But there’re are professional dancers…
snow report
@johnE, I think most people use the term “sport” to describe any pastime that involves physical movement that could lead to some level of fatigue, from walking all the way to doing an Ironman.

Chess is a “game” in my book. But I’ll readily accept it can be termed as “sport” as it exercise the brain. Laughing
snow report
I think sport implies competition, so skiing could be a sport and/or a pastime, and that's why chess is a sport, as, by definition, it's competitive.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I didn't know chess was considered a sport. Is poker a sport too? I'm inclined to agree that some sort of physical element must be involved.
snow conditions
On that definition: yes. As is backgammon. Are there leagues? Is money involved? Then you have sport.
ski holidays
I tend to use as little energy as possible skiing. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
I didn't know chess was considered a sport. Is poker a sport too? I'm inclined to agree that some sort of physical element must be involved.

Definition of sport does include "physical exertion" which would rule out chess, which I think would be a game along with poker, darts, snooker etc.

As for skiing it's different things to different people.

Quote:

I often feel that competition by measurement (outside formal races/competition) e.g. Strava/skitracks recording is a bit of a substitute for actual enjoyment.

To be fair most of the better skiers I know couldn't care less about their "stats" each day. The judge their "performance" on difficulty of line and quality of skiing. Of course you need a bit of experience to do that. While my seasonnaire friends might do a day of "who can rack up most km/vert" it tends to be something to keep them entertained when conditions are too bad to do anything better, and while a bit of fun, it's is never a best memory of the season for anyone.

At least the above is true for downhill. The tourers love their uphill stats!
snow report
I can't remember who said it but one quote was "Its not a sport unless you need special shoes to do it", which probably makes skiing the most sporty sport going!
latest report
Or it's not a sport if you can manage to have a cigarette during it Laughing
latest report
@Weathercam, that counts skiing out then. Very Happy
latest report
ster wrote:
@Weathercam, that counts skiing out then. Very Happy

And marathon running https://news.sky.com/story/chinese-chain-smoking-marathon-runner-completes-26-miles-in-less-than-three-and-a-half-hours-12748278
snow conditions
Marathon running has never been a sport, it's an exercise in masochism.
latest report
@ster, errrh no, you can have a puff on a chair or in a La Grave gondola Laughing

Always loved the joke, "how can you tell when the Italian Americas Cup team were about to tack?"

"You'd see all the butts get thrown overboard first" Laughing
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
Or it's not a sport if you can manage to have a cigarette during it Laughing

The great Fausto Coppi...

http://cyclingart.blogspot.com/2008/05/up-in-smoke.html?m=1
ski holidays
I find that the objective measures of skiing (Strava, Speed measurement, CARV etc.) seem to cheapen the experience for me.

I have my best days when I feel like I am shredding; not when I am skiing objectively well by some quantifiable external measure.

It doesn't matter to me who is a great skier or boarder as measured by an app. What matters is enjoying it and being safe (for all the people on the slopes).

I do love to see impressive tricks though and you'll usually get an air five or a shout out from me if I see you land a jib 540 or some kind of impressive butter on the piste Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy