Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region

Poster: A snowHead
I used to ski the area when I was young but have not been for about 25 years - in fact not since I got serious about off-piste. My one Murren visit was much earlier.
I don't remember any steeper off piste in the area: is there any? Has there been stuff about that in this thread?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure if there has been much discussion, but there is plenty of good off-piste on the Murren side, I reckon. It depends how far off the piste you want to go really... I'm no expert on the off-piste in the area, so hopefully someone else will know more... You can drop off the side of the Schilthorn and head down towards Schiltgrat chair sort of area, or you can drop into the bowl below Birg from the bottom of the Muttleren chair. Then there are various other lines in different places. Also a fair bit of off-piste over near Kleine Scheidegg and around there. Not sure how steep and/or long you want it, but those are a few you can do...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
3 main off piste runs from the back of the Schilthorn leading in different directions....guide required !!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
New Ski lift planned for Grindelwald 2011,Grindelwald - Holenstein ??
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've heard there are plans to replace the slow old bubble from Grund to Maennlichen with something that will do it in half the time. Is this part of that?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Only reason I can think of to put a lift from Grindelwald to Holenstein would be to replace existing one, I'd be surprised if they took it from Grindelwald rather than just upgrading existing Gondola though as you'd end up skiing down to Grund and then have to get back up to Grindelwald to use teh Gondola to go back

Better option would be to speed up the higher section so that one could ski down to Holenstein and go up from there, it's a nice extra bit of run beyond teh Manlichen Chair to do so, but in recent years they've tended to keep Holenstein closed to upward bound skiers
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Maybe they will be upgrading it as the site states an 8 seater gondola , how many does it take now ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A short film about the Inferno by CNBC :World Business: Every year hundreds of skiers make a trip to the small Swiss town of Murren to compete in the worlds oldest and some would say toughest ski race, The Inferno. And for the town the huge influx of competitors and fans makes for a welcome mid season lift.

http://youtube.com/v/O9L69zACr88
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris Brookes, Currently 4 person Gondolas, my gues would be an upgrade appart from anything else they need to change teh ski holders to something that can take fat skis and snowboards, currently they have to be taken into the gondola as teh pockets on teh outside can't hold wide skis/boards, which means gondolas go up half empty, switching to an 8 person gondola would probably let them get better use from teh Holenstein Middle station
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf - I think they must have replaced the ski holders on the outside of the gondola last summer. I can now fit my skis into them. Disappointing to me as it suggests they are trying to get a few more years out of the antiquated bubble.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What has happened to jonny luv plums???
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skilegs wrote:
What has happened to jonny luv plums???

He was still working at Central Sport when I called in to have a quick chat with him during the Snowheads MSB week (March 13th-20th). However, he said he'd been busy and I guess that's why he hasn't been posting here. Did you get to visit Wengen this season?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the real question is.....does he still like plums Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink, Yes for Mcmillan week - sorry to miss you. Hope to be there again next year.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have my 40th next February and was hoping to spend it in Wengen. Unfortunately, due to kids and wife working at school we are going to have to book it for the dreaded half-term week for the first time ever. Just been reading this topic searching for any reports about how bad it really is at this time. Wondered if any of you Wengen regulars could give some indications - are the queues really bad and the slopes really packed ? Any reports and genuine experience much appreciated !
snow conditions
ArseneWengen, I was in Wengen the week after British mid term... (Dutch holiday week) teaching a class 2 kids.

You'll have to do some time management to avoid the queues in the morning, however during afternoons I found the workhorse pistes off Mannlichen almost deserted, not even a 1 minute queue at Mannlichen chair.

Eigernordwand chair (The new one) was running Major queues though... seems that lift was pulling each and everbody to it...

Based on that, you probably can have a decent week in Wengen... Or just go Murren instead, which tends to be less crowded Wink
snow report
Ronald wrote:
....during afternoons I found the workhorse pistes off Mannlichen almost deserted

Were they knee-deep slush by then?
ski holidays
Red Leon, not in Feb... during the MSB yes Wink
snow report
Arsenewengen, I've been there often during the Feb half term week. It's not been too bad. There have been bad bottlenecks at eg the Maennlichen cable after 09.00h and at the Arven chair around lunchtime but it's been possible to avoid these with planning.
ski holidays
Arven was nowhere near as bad queue-wise this year, Eigernordwand made a huge difference. Talking of which, Eigernordwand seemed to stop each time three chairs went throught the base station on half term week as people were tripping each other up trying to get on.
latest report
LaserStock, The Eigernordwand lift is very odd in that you have to shuffle in from the side which is not easy for six people to get into position. I cannot remember any where else you do this on a 4/6 man chair.
ski holidays
LaserStock, I think the crowd needs to get used to it... Christmas and Februari was totally different how people worked with the lift's loading system...
snow report
Q's in Wengen now rolling eyes rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
Chris Brookes wrote:

Not really. Here is the Eigernordwand lift at about 10.00am on 12th March this season. It is bloody dark under the north wall in the mornings!

latest report
telford_mike wrote:
It is bloody dark under the north wall in the mornings!

And a bloody site colder when you ski into the shadow Shocked
snow report
Aint that the truth
ski holidays
telford_mike wrote:
Chris Brookes wrote:

Not really. Here is the Eigernordwand lift at about 10.00am on 12th March this season. It is bloody dark under the north wall in the mornings!

its looks like it is more 4pm than 10am Puzzled Laughing
ski holidays
Cheers for all the info folks.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Im not wishing my life away but i cant wait for the next winter season wink
latest report
Rumours circulating of a new, annual pass for the Jungfrau Region - works as a travel pass all year and a ski pass in winter. Cost (rumour again) CHF1900 per year.
snow conditions
Sitting here trying to avoid working has got me thinking about my next trip.

It looks possible to do all the Männlichen and Kleine Scheidegg runs in a day but what is the best order?

Do you go anticlockwise and get the tougher runs done early but have to do the longer runs down to Grund later or vice versa?

What do you fellas reckon.
ski holidays
tiffin, Theres really only one way down to Grund from the Mannlichen once you go below the Holenstein middle station of the Gondola and it's not that great as it mainly follows the road down. also Grund remains in the Shadow for most of the day so I personally avoid doing the lower runs until the afternoon, however if going late in the season you may want to do the lower runs before they turn to porridge.

All the Mannlichen runs can be done very quickly, I once met a snowboarder who took under 3 mins to go from top to bottom of the Mannlichen chair, but he was a little mad, A nice route would be Mannlichen Chair, then if it's open (Unlikely) Holenstein, Lager, Gummi. then you have an option but I'd suggest possibly the new Eigernordwand lift, back down and up Arven to Kl Scheidegg then all the way down to Grund, get the train back up to Kl Scheidegg, then down to Honegg, over to Tschuggen and then Mannlichen chair takes you back to the top of the Mannlichen where you started.

Theres only really one tough bit in all that which is hanging on to the Tschuggen T bar Laughing

Bear in mind that the slopes from Kl Scheidegg across to Mannlichen rarely see sun before 10am in the winter and that the lower runs don't see it till the afternoon, do Mannlichen first thing as it's snow is usually the best early on and it gets very busy later, the Blue run from Kl Scheidegg to Grund via Brandegg is usually very quiet all day but is a very nice run to relax on
snow conditions
That sounds like a plan, and roughly follows the piste number order which makes things easier Smile Hopefully my legs will still be strong enough to do the Lauberhorn DH near the end and then the slalom which at least is short.

I hate Tschuggen T-bar, its just an unnecessary torture in my opinion Sad
latest report
If you truly want to tick every run on 1 day its going to be quite hard; there are 4 (and a half) ways to get down below the Mannlichen-Lager-Tschuggen-Arven bottom stations towards Grindelwald. Getting back up is just not efficient enough... (Slow bubble putting you on mannlichen or train which only runs every 30 mins (but is otherwise plenty quick))

If you skip the blue runs from the bottom of Arven (and the "red" variant down Brandegg) you can pretty much do each and every run and variation in a day.
Pretty much done that a whole bunch of years ago.

Tschuggen T-bar rocks Very Happy
ski holidays
Email Newletter from Jungfrau Winter states the following -

New gondolas
Next winter, the First aerial cableway will have additional gondolas in service. This upgrade means a 12.5% increase in carrying capacity on the entire facility and a massive 50% increase over midday on the Schreckfeld – First section. The bottleneck and associated waiting times on Schreckfeld should be history.

New snow-making system
On 17 May, work began on building a new snow-making system in the Kleine Scheidegg-Männlichen area. From next winter, the Arvengarten-Brandegg-Grund piste will have technical snow. Pipes are being laid and 70 snow lances installed on a 5.5 kilometre stretch.

NEW: Annual Pass
From November 2010, the Jungfrau Region transport companies will include an annual pass in their range of offers. The annual pass will include other companies as well as Jungfrau Railways, the Schilthorn Aerial Cableway, the Grindelwald-Männlichen Aerial Gondola and the Wengen-Männlichen Aerial Cableway. The pass will be on sale and be valid for two seasons (e.g. purchase on 15.01.2011 = valid for winter season 2010/11 and summer season 2011). The additional charge on the regular price for the JUNGFRAU Winter Season Pass will be CHF 500.

Season Sportpass by post
Order your Season Pass in October and get it by post.
From October 2010, holders of a Season Pass (bought at normal tariff), who are already registered with us with a photo can order their pass via Internet with payment by credit card. The personal pass will be sent post-free within five days.

Saturday: free travel for two children
When one adult buys a 1-day pass at list price on a Saturday, then 2 accompanying children to age 15 will receive the same 1-day pass absolutely free. It goes without saying that if one parent buys a 1-day pass all own children in the family (proof of family relationship required) can still travel free on Saturdays, but no other children can be taken free.

any excuse to post a summer pic....lol
snow conditions
Just read the info for next season above. Can anyone tell me what the skiing would be like here for an advanced group.
snow report
richardK, Generally most people regarfd teh area as very good for intermediates but perhaps limited for advanced skiers, there is good off piste in teh area subject to finding a decent guide and having good snow but thats really it to be honest
snow conditions
D G Orf, Thanks for the reply. Would it be worth joining the SCGB rep to try the harder off piste areas, from what I can see on the online map there is quite a large number of areas to explore.
latest report
richardK, well you could join the SCGB but they do at most one day in the week off piste, as an alternative you could join the DHO they try to run two ski groups each day with one being a more advanced group whilst the other is for slightly slower (more relaxed) people like me Happy
snow conditions
http://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/103557/
http://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/95714/
They're building a new lake for snowmaking on Mannlichen.

Which clears the way for the upgrade of the GGM
http://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/94701/

The lake seems to be to the right (north) of the Mannlichen chair, facing up.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy