Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2023/24 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@Freefall, not saying it doesn’t happen (I’m a very poor negotiator rolling eyes) but my experience last year was as you suggest….
Could have got 20% off by booking online, but emailed with the name-drop and was swiftly promised 15% off the prices on their website. Great, 35%! Pitched up, reminded the nice guy of my promised discount and got 15% off the full price…. In fairness wasn’t Hansi himself and shop was busy, but this year I’ll be booking ahead online!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That was my concern @gilo but I will approach it with glass half full hope and if I get anymore discount than the 20% I will consider that a bonus. I will report back for future reference for others. Also my experiences getting public bus from Salzburg to Saalbach and my early morning transfer back to Salazburg using Snow camp Smile .
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@gilo, I suppose that you really need to talk to Hansi, either in person or by phone. He’s normally there in his shop at a weekend but takes occasional weekdays off, leaving an employee in charge.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just to offer another perspective. We rented from Hansi last year and he responded to my email saying no issue with combining discounts etc. I just had to remind him about @tatmanstours, when I went in.

Was very happy with the service and will be hiring from there again in March.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Eddy wrote:
RAF were also in the area on a skiing jolly for 3 weeks!

I would never call it a “jolly”, bit unfair. The RAF have been going to Hinterglemm for many years. The guys there have to pay their own way although there is some assistance from various funds, non of which are public money. It’s all booked (or was) through the Saalbach-Hinterglemm tourist office. I’m sure they get a good deal due to numbers and there’s no doubt it’s helpful for the local economy.

From the various racing that takes place a team is selected to take part in the inter-services ski championship. Generally, most RAF personnel are there for two weeks max (one week is possible). I believe the third week mentioned would be the RAF ski team only.

The Police also use Hinterglemm, or did so in the past. I believe they still do.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@tatmanstours, would Hansi give discount on servicing on your name drop? Of course, even a free schnapps is good! I’m guessing it’s an overnight turnaround on the servicing?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Boofont, I don’t know about a discount on servicing. He may not make any or much profit, because he sends the skis up the road to Ski Furst. And yes, it’s done overnight.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My comment about a Jolly was a bit tongue in cheek. I know that they have been going for years.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Eddy, argh, ok. Lost meaning in text. My apologies.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hey,

Coming to Hinterglemm next week (on the RAF "Jolly" Very Happy ) . Wondering which skis to bring based on conditions as reports seem to vary.

84mm pistey numbers?
102mm all mountain chargers?
120mm spoons?! (probably not...)

Re: the RAF, I'm not in the forces but I'm going as a guest of a mate that is. Costs (for civvies) about the same as a mid-high end Crystal holiday but the hotel is all inclusive and the ski hire and lessons are heavily subsidised. As a reasonably advanced skier, getting a week of advanced/off-piste lessons for £120 felt like a decent deal!

Also, civvies don't have to race whereas servicefolk do so I can sit on the side and heckle!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Meltus, 84, most Austrians ski on 69 or 72.

We ski on 80 and 84

If you are having off piste lessons check with the school
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm headed out tomorrow with 94's and leaving the 72's at home.
Main reason is that the 94's are new and have been crying in my garage since last seasons sales!
Mileage will vary depending on finding some off piste lessons
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Excuse my ignorance here guys but are you talking ski width, guessing at the ski centre?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Boofont, yes, waist width in mm.

In very broad terms... Anything under 80 is a dedicated piste ski which is likely to sink without trace into soft snow unless you are featherweight. From 80 to ~95 is a classic "all mountain" width. Above that you either have powder skis, scaffolding planks, or a snowboard on each foot wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ousekjarr wrote:
Anything under 80 is a dedicated piste ski which is likely to sink without trace into soft snow unless you are featherweight.

Thanks. My Atomic are 66, and I’m no featherweight! I know that sinking feeling, take me off-piste and all I can hear is the theme music from Das Boot!

I’m a declared on-piste skier, I don’t go often enough and have rarely got lucky with powder. I own my own skis and opted for something that was very piste focused to enjoy the turns there based on the conditions that I generally find. That said, I’m considering buying some New skis and hope to demo both the Atomic Q9 and S9, the Q being an “all-mountain”. You may have seen my comments/posts. That was the plan anyway but just had a great week in Flaine on my old Atomics! 2004 and still great!
snow report
I had Atomic Blackeye TIs in 82 for many years until they delaminated on me a year ago, and on occasional forays into deeper stuff I still sank without trace most of the time. On a previous Oktobertest at Hemel (2018) I was persuaded to try some real powder skis (Line Sakana, at 105mm waist), and the result was interesting in a fridge - like skiing on a teatray until Jon persuaded me to treat them hard, at which point they behaved just like my Blackeyes on piste. I suspect that off piste I'd still sink them (ex rugby player), but maybe slower than on anything else... but they weren't for me.

I'm back to piste skiing now - too old, broken and unfit to be mixing it with the powder hounds, and when I have found deep snow recently it has been wet and sticky.
snow report
Well even if the snow is tripe the 102s are packed now. They were fine in the cairngorm crust the other day... been years since I skied anything under 100mm anyway I'd probably tip over Very Happy Very Happy

"lessons" provided by the RAF so not a school. Hoping for more like guiding...
ski holidays
Very happy with my new Nordica Spitfires 74 DC
snow conditions
Meltus wrote:
"lessons" provided by the RAF so not a school. Hoping for more like guiding...

I doubt the RAF will be doing the instructing. I can say from experience (as an ex-team captain from an RAF camp, we actually had Roger Cruickshank racing for us at the time if anyone knows that name?) that you’ll undoubtedly be getting lessons from the local ski school, unless things have changed. It was several years ago and I’m a full on civvie these days.
latest report
tatmanstours wrote:

I’d buy them for the name alone… Spitfire, right up my “ Straße”. Laughing
snow report
Hi all! I'm skiing next week - is anyone there this week and can report on what the ski / snow conditions are like?

On the official saalbach website, the on piste snow depths haven't changed for weeks even after there's been snow.

Thanks
snow conditions
Will do
latest report
2a yesterday morning

Bernkogel this morning

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 20-01-24 10:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
A while back a question was posted on getting accommodation for a few nights rather than a full week, the Pension www.franziska-saalbach.at/en has a 3 night minimum stay.

It’s a stunning modern B&B , they serve tapas food in the evening and have a Friday night dinner at €38 per person, we eat there last night, the food was amazing.

ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:

Get them from Hansi? I see his website says he stocks them for rental
snow conditions
@Jastow, there’s plenty of snow conditions have been good all week, yesterday we had rain then snow which made it a bit icy, we headed to Leogang in the afternoon for fabulous conditions.

You don’t need a lot of snow depth here as it mainly pasture and if there is a problem there are more than enough snow canons
ski holidays
radar wrote:
A while back a question was posted on getting accommodation for a few nights rather than a full week, the Pension www.franziska-saalbach.at/en has a 3 night minimum stay.

It’s a stunning modern B&B , they serve tapas food in the evening and have a Friday night dinner at €38 per person, we eat there last night, the food was amazing.

It might have been me … most hotels wouldn’t take a mid-week booking but luckily we stumbled across Hotel Mulk … they do. This looks great too.
latest report
@franga, it’s very close to the Mulk, it’s open to non residents for tapas in the week and dinner on Friday, you just need to call in adavance.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@blondends, “tatmanstours wrote:

Get them from Hansi? I see his website says he stocks them for rental”

Yes
ski holidays
@radar, I went down 2A late morning yesterday, icy like you say, the bottom was the most un enjoyable skiing I ever remember, very thankful for the runs over to Leogang that followed and the afternoon over there, including my 3rd visit of the week to the Chicken man, as I came out yesterday he was cooking pancakes in huge frying pans in the entrance, seem to recall from a previous visit, but not sure whether it happens every day as was there earlier for lunch on prior visits
latest report
@ribblevalleyblue, went through at 9.30 not great, the red under the Bergeralm was ice all the way!
Today is much better
snow report
radar wrote:
@franga, it’s very close to the Mulk, it’s open to non residents for tapas in the week and dinner on Friday, you just need to call in adavance.

Thanks - good to know!
snow conditions
Hello - thanks for all the recommendations in this thread. I'll be in Hinterglemm from next Saturday for a week.

Due to an injury my wife won't be skiing and my daughter is just starting lessons so I'll be solo on the slopes. Anyone around who doesn't mind one extra? I'm a snowboarder, happy to go down pistes or off piste.
snow report
@pablojim, if there aren’t any SH around, the ski club of GB is now in Saalbach, they meet Sunday at 9.45 at the Schattberg Xpress and 9.15 on all other days as a non member you can ski with they for one day without needing to sign up.
They have FB page
snow report
Picked up our skis from Hansi. I mentioned Tatman to him and he said he would give us his best price but after signing off found no additional discount was given apart from the 20% I got from booking online although I did get a schnapps. Thought I might have got a credit and recharge or a small refund. Found the choice of skis limited. Wanted 165 length but could only offer 160 or 170. Wife wanted 156, could only offer 151 or 160. This may be down to it being a Saturday and not all skis from previous week have been returned and serviced. Oh well.
ski holidays
@Freefall, can’t explain that, his mind works in mysterious ways.
It was very busy yesterday - the end of Dutch week (thank goodness - if there was such a thing as “U.K. week” I would find it a good reason to take a few days off skiing).
snow conditions
@Freefall, I think you need to adjust your expectations of ski lengths if you were asking a hire shop for skis which were 156 length, or 165 length, and weren't happy with something 4-5cm different.

As an example, go to https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski/pack-ski-bindings/men/intermediate-advanced/?facetFilters%5Bf_482827%5D%5B165%5D=1 and see how many of the 564 options are exactly 165, not marketed as a woman's ski, and intended for intermediate to advanced skiers. Now try 164, and 166.

If you want exactly 165 in exactly an 88 waist, not too heavy but stable at speed, you're probably asking for exactly the same ski model and size as last time. Or it doesn't exist, e.g. https://www.glisshop.co.uk/ski/pack-ski-bindings/men/intermediate-advanced/?facetFilters%5Bf_482827%5D%5B165%5D=1&facetFilters%5Bf_488464%5D%5BGLIS_PROD_HIGHLIGHT_SEASON_38845%5D=1&facetFilters%5Bf_488464%5D%5BGLIS_PROD_HIGHLIGHT_SEASON_55%5D=1&facetFilters%5Bf_488468%5D%5B88%5D=1
ski holidays
When I say 165 I mean around that figure 164 tko167 but a jump of 10cm can be too much. Never been an issue past 10 years of using ski hire. I suspect it was change over day affecting choice
snow report
I was also open to any make in premium ski. Nothing around 165.
ski holidays
Gulaschsuppe index, update ,last years prices in brackets.
Maisalm (8.90) 9.90
Atzitz brau and Alte Schmide (8.50) 9.00
Chicken man (8.50)
Breuistalm (11.90)
Sonnhof (8.90) 9.30 , self service (7.50)
Walleggalm (8.50) 9.60
Westgipfle Hutte (8.50)
Bergstadl (6.50) self service and full service
Winkler Alm (6.40) 7.60
Wildenkarhutte 9.10
Stockl alm large 8.20 .5l small .3l 6.20
Bergeralm 9.50
Hochhorndler 7.90
Kralleralm 7.50
Rachkuchl (8.50) 8.10
Thurneralm 8.80
Luis Alm 9.90

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 23-01-24 14:57; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy