Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs snow report 2007/2008 season

Poster: A snowHead
snowcrazy, Great day, Saturday - as you said it proves Snowheads does work. Back home now, five long weeks to go before I'm out again - March 13th. Give my regards also to the other Chris, who showed me a thing or two! One thing I now realise is that I need to go out with more skiers (as opposed to boarders). I'll certainly look into Ski Club as you recommended.
Will give you a ring when I'm back over in March.
BYW there's some photos on my website at http://www.19x.co.uk/lesarcs2008/index.htm , nothing brilliant though.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Like the pictures! Looking forward to trying that run, all 7 km of it. Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
allanm, Pleased you enjoyed the day and I will pass on your regards to chris.

Today was another sunny day with good snow due to the cold temps and only light winds in most areas. As the day went on the wind did seem to pick up later in the afternoon so it will be interesting to see the effect on the snow tomorrow morning. The forest areas still had good pockets of light snow and so did the protected north facing slopes.

At times all 14 of us today were still able to have fun in the bumps or the light snow (not really powder anymore). We had a really diverse group today, from 10 year olds to 65 year olds either carving up the pistes, jumping of anything they could find into the soft snow or going down tight gullies. Even a bit of forest craft trying to find new passages through untracked areas rolling eyes . Not forgetting those screaming down the race pistes training for the English champs coming up next week. Quite a day!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sound fun Chris. Steve is coming out today and I'll be out on Thursday for half term. Hope to catch you this time!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any comments on the lift queues etc? Just wondering what effect French half term is going to have. Is it busier than usual now?

(Going out on 23rd)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mdemon2, Queues not to bad this week but it is getting busy. jayne durham, Hope to see you as well but am off to tignes at the weekend so let's try to get together before I leave again.

Today the weather and snow was great again, sunny all day and little wind. Still managed to find some light snow, not fair to call it powder, but it was very good, even a few streches were untracked. Wow after more than a week. Pistes are hard packed and where the sun has not spoiled it, off piste is still excellent thanks to the low temps every night, but it is starting to get slabby in places so need to take care if you are reading this and want to try your luck away from the pistes.

Good carving session this morning and some of the kids had a great lesson with Stefan from the ESF in 1800. Others still training hard on the race course whilst a few older people went to play off pistes.

Look forward to seeing a few other snowheads that are coming out in the next few days.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is still untracked powder to be found!! The snow is holding up well all over the resort and the off piste is still producing some great finds. Today a group of us finally got over to La Plagne and after some good warm ups dropped over the back of the Roche and then off the back of Bellecote. For anyone thinking of doing the route, the snow at the top is very crusty but it get's better as you go lower. There are even some untracked powder areas to ski. The exit is like a skicross course but loads of fun. I wonder how long this cold clear spell will last?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hope you are all enjoying the snow in Les Arcs. Our last few days were great with good conditions on all pistes and out of the sun, although cold, some great skiing to be found off piste. Hope to hear from those arriving for half term.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowcrazy, I'll be arriving on the 8th of March... seems I always pay one visit a year to old LA.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarpa, .... where are you staying in les Arcs .. ?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Still busy there?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BernardC, following a failed last minute booking mission for Zermatt Sad , I am now returning to Arc 1800 for a second week of off piste fumbling Cool (well, if it snows again that is). Will you be around next week (w/c 2nd March)? I enjoyed your company a few weeks ago (5th Feb I think - the day when we had a late lunch in Le Pre, just before you returned home).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sproggski, ..... look forward to it .... snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We had blue sky & sunshine every day bar one and I felt the skiing conditions were superb while we were there 16-23rd. The snow could now do with a top-up, and some is forecast for the coming week according to the guys in the ski-hire shop Fri afternoon.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Returned Friday 24th from a week in Les Arc 1800. Snow holding up well for first half of the week. Towards the end of the week it was icy in the mornings and slushy in the afternoons. Still full snow coverage on all runs.
ski holidays
Snowing hard at 1800m. Big, juicy flakes and lots of 'em! I guess that the snow line will be fairly high as it's +1ºC on my balcony.
latest report
rob@rar, Are you doing Level 2 next week Puzzled If so good luck
ski holidays
stewart woodward wrote:

Yes, I'm in Les Arcs for a couple of days to collect kit and warm up, then drive to Morzine tomorrow. Thanks for the good wishes Smile
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
stewart woodward wrote:

Yes, I'm in Les Arcs for a couple of days to collect kit and warm up, then drive to Morzine tomorrow. Thanks for the good wishes Smile

Morzine ?? Don't forget to pack your wellies wink I thought you would have gone to Val D Puzzled
snow report
stewart woodward, Laughing

Val D was my first choice, but for various complicated reasons around accommodation I booked with BASS in Morzine/Les Gets. I'm hoping the bumps will be soft and slushy!
snow conditions
rob@rar, Good luck, noth that I am sure you need it Cool snowHead
ski holidays
rob@rar, good luck
snow report
rob@rar, enjoy.

Looking good on the webcams over at 1950 this morning. 3 weeks til I'm back...plenty of time for snow, rain, sun...
latest report
It was snowing heavily first thing this morning, and continued until I stopped skiing at about midday. It's unseasonably warm so the snow that fell was very wet and heavy; classic elephant snot! Snowline seemed to be around 1600m or so, and we had a range of sleet, snow, graupel, cloud and a bit of a breeze. Thank God for Goretex.

There's lots of snow on-piste, but it's not in brilliant condition. About 5-10cm of heavy snow on top of a tired and sometimes icy base. However, the forecast is for colder temperatures and more snow, so today's wet stuff should consolidate and freeze to add to the solid base for on-piste snow depths. Off-piste conditions were much like on-piste but less cut up and fewer mounds of snow. Some nice fresh tracks here and there could be found, with conditions typical of a spring afternoon (but with poor visibility).

Thanks for your good wishes for my course in Morzine.
snow report
rob@rar, Thanks for the pics, I'll be there tomorrow. I can't wait.
ski holidays
justacey, have a great time. I think conditions will improve as the week goes on.
latest report
rob@rar, Unfortunately over for 3 days week after next but with the washing line closed will be stuck on the side with the slow lifts Toofy Grin but hey, no kids and skiing for 3 days, who cares Toofy Grin Razz
snow report
rob@rar, where are the pics taken from?

Good luck in Morzine.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First one is junction of Rhodos and Plan Bois, second and third are somewhere off to the side of the Golf piste above Arc 1800.

Thanks.
ski holidays
Ooh I went across that intersection of Rhodos & Plan Bois 8 days ago and I wanna go back!!!!!!!
snow report
Butterfly wrote:
Ooh I went across that intersection of Rhodos & Plan Bois 8 days ago and I wanna go back!!!!!!!

I'm sure you could find a lastminute bargain...
ski holidays
BernardC wrote:
Scarpa, .... where are you staying in les Arcs .. ?

The good old cheap Charmettoger Apartments in 1800. Only a week to go now. Are you about?
snow report
Quick report as I'm just heading out of the resort. Weather is warm and sunny. Lifities had a one hour strike this morning, similar to the action taken in the 3V last week. It seemed a fairly civilized affair as they had put trestle table out at the bottom of the lifts and the lifties were serving coffee, juice, croissants, pain au chocolate, and had a couple of leaflets explaining the dispute. The lifts opened at 10am exactly.

Yesterday's snow has left excellent piste conditions on the upper slopes. Snow coverage is excellent, with no stones or holes anywhere. The pistes above Arc 2000 were velvet-like first thing, but lower altitudes are quite icy after the re-freeze overnight. Things will soften as the day goes on, with typical Spring-like conditions. The forecast is for falling temperatures and more snow in the next few days.

I think I'm must be getting old. Had a quick warm up in the bumps and then into the snow park for a few gentle jumps and my knees are killing me. Fun though Smile

Some photos from today:

snow report
Quote:
I think I'm must be getting old. Had a quick warm up in the bumps and then into the snow park for a few gentle jumps and my knees are killing me.

I've obvioulsy been old a lot longer than you Toofy Grin Laughing

Looks a lovely day yesterday. 2nd photo down, where is that?
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, Col des Frettes, looking up to Col de Chal.
ski holidays
Just got back. Stones on some slopes and some lower pistes down Villaroger(sp!) were muddy/grassy. A night of snow as we left, and strong winds, may have improved this.

Slushy on the lower pistes, nice higher up. Icy in early morning so good for skiers if not boarders.

We liked Les Arcs a lot, even if accommodation wasn't as expected.

No major dump for 3 to 4 weeks according to various instructors/reps. That said, there was plenty of skiing.
snow report
If someone were to stay in 1800, how easy is it to ski over to Vallandry & back? It's not clear to me from the plan which way the various pistes run. I know Foret goes down towards Vallandry, and noticed another path joining it not long before the Retour Grizzly branches off. Does that come down from 1800?
snow report
We went to Vallendry several times (staying in 2000). I didn't go too far so Grizzly was the furthest I had to come back from. Up from 1950, over the top and big long blues all the way towards Vallendry. Some really nice runs through the woods which seemed virtually empty.

I really liked going down to Villaroger (the "left" of the area), then tracking up and over to Vallendry (to the "right") in the morning, then doing the higher stuff in the "middle" in the afternoon to avoid the slush. The piste map should make it a bit clearer...
ski holidays
Getting Back to Vallandry from Arc 1800

Easy-peasy.

1800 to Vallandry
From 1800, take either Vagere (new-ish, fast) or Villards (not new-ish, not fast) and ski over to just above the Transarc mid-station (keep left all the time).

Then ski across the piste and take Plan Bois through the trees. You'll join Foret and then you can take either Myrtilles, Aigle or Morey snaking down through the trees to Vallandry.

Vallandry to 1800
Take Vallandy or Grizzly lifts, ski down and join Foret. At the base of Le Derby (used to be the old Plan Bois lift), take Maitaz through the trees and stick with it until it brings you back past the Transarc base station and onto the front de neige at 1800.

I'll be there on 22nd March. Can't wait...
latest report
Going there Saturday - Whats the latest on the conditions ?

Also Can't wait - Bought some new K2 Crossfires last night especially Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy