Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2023/24 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
@red 27, lolz - this is hilarious. please tell us more why VT Is a bit of a dump. (no judgement - genuinely want to know your thoughts)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ts01, vrbo is also good for booking accommodation.
As others have said, Mottaret is high and central and easy to get everywhere. (Stayed there twice)
VT is obvs super high, but you are the other end of 3V if you want to get to Courchevel
La Tania is a nice little wild card. Cheaper than Courchevel and well connected.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry to hijack this, does anyone know how busy the 3 valleys are likely to be on the last week of Feb? Seems to be the French winter holiday for zone A.

Looking to book Meribel, is it a case of just getting the first lifts out and avoiding the main areas?

Thanks!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
UtahGetMeTwo wrote:
@red 27, lolz - this is hilarious. please tell us more why VT Is a bit of a dump. (no judgement - genuinely want to know your thoughts)

It’s not
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Roscoe wrote:
UtahGetMeTwo wrote:

It’s not

Well, it's not chocolate box picturesque and has a capacity for relieving you of large amounts of money very easily. Remind me, why am I going there again leading up to Easter Laughing ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
halfhand wrote:
Roscoe wrote:
UtahGetMeTwo wrote:

It’s not

Well, it's not chocolate box picturesque and has a capacity for relieving you of large amounts of money very easily. Remind me, why am I going there again leading up to Easter Laughing ?

Laughing Laughing Not sure there are many resorts that don’t have that ability Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@red 27, @Perty, @UtahGetMeTwo, - thank you all for the replies. I'll watch the "is Val Thorens a dump" debate unfold for now and look forward to weighing in on that topic when I return!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mocha_Hagotdi, I think last week of Feb is both Zone A and Zone B. So yes, expect it to be very busy. Get out early. Try to avoid village bases at lesson start/end times. (Check out when these are: in half-term they may switch to 3 X 2 hours rather than 2 X 3 hours). Lifts serving green/blue runs may be busier than those serving mainly red/black (but of course kids have parents who may be using the latter).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
VT is high, above the tree line, which can be both good and bad. Great snow, until late in the season. But in poor weather it can be very bleak, and the lack of trees means nowhere to get a bit of perspective
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi all, looking at LT for Easter 2025, which is late next year. We have someone returning after serious injury 5 years ago who doesn't think they'll venture much beyond local slopes and then subsequently has concerns over snow coverage late season.

What's it generally like in resort late season? Any worries about pistes closing or just the usual sugary mushy jeopardy?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@yllen, always been able to ski back to the end of the season iirc
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@yllen, I don't think you can guarantee snow at resort level at 12 / 19 April, which I guess would be the end of your holiday week. The latter will probably be the last week of the season in LT. I have known it to be getting very thin by mid-March, although most years are okay. Depends entirely on how the weather goes next season
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone in VT or the wider 3V's at the moment?? Seen posts on facebook regarding how quiet the whole area is for this time of year?? I know that the half term is staggered, both in the UK & France but, if the reports are to be true, its like an off peak week?

Anyone confirm/deny?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Roscoe, FYI general discussion, not 3V specific, here might be of interest.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Layne, Thanks. Saw those posts so thought I'd ask on the 3V's/VT thread as i'm heading out to VT on Saturday morning for the week.

The webcams do make it look quieter than I'd have expected, though I'll take those with a pinch of salt.
snow conditions
@Roscoe, it seems really hard to gauge doesn't it
snow report
@Layne, I suppose those currently out there will be skiing so hopefully will be on later to report back.
snow report
Heaving in VT yesterday. Meribel not so bad today. Snow is suffering in general. Skied over to 1850 today and it was pretty busy. The problem is the snow is starting to suffer so everyone is high up. We’re here until Saturday. I think some snow is due late next week.
snow conditions
RosieL wrote:
Heaving in VT yesterday. Meribel not so bad today. Snow is suffering in general. Skied over to 1850 today and it was pretty busy. The problem is the snow is starting to suffer so everyone is high up. We’re here until Saturday. I think some snow is due late next week.

“Suffer” as in it’s patchy, icy or slushy? Or all 3?
snow conditions
Snow is forecast in VT over this weekend and all day Monday (still early I know) but that will help!
ski holidays
@Roscoe, not sure which forecast you are looking at but snow-forecast not showing much at all over the weekend Puzzled
latest report
@Roscoe we’re in Belleville valley, booked late so I know for a fact occupancy is basically 100%. Ski schools also full.

That said, I was expecting massive lift queues and have been pleasantly surprised, if prepared to be flexible it’s possible to ski straight onto lifts (eg yesterday lunchtime every lift in Mottaret was mobbed but ski to La Chaudanne and you had your pick of deserted lifts). Did several laps of Meribel La Face today with no other skiers in sight. Go to the extremes of the area - above Courchevel 1550/Moriond/whatever, or Orelle (busier than it used to be, but zero queue for new or old lift) and everything’s fine. On the other hand, mobbed around ‘central’ places people think of as high - perma-scrum at Côte Brune, central VT, around Saulire
snow report
Hi heading to VT end of March in a group of 16. I have looked online for Transfers for us all.

I was wondering if anyone has used a particular company that they would recommend and have contact info for?

Seems some of the online companies are very over priced
ski holidays
@philipt, Coolrunnings are good, but I think they only have 8 seater minibuses so you would need 2. BensBus have a scheduled service at weekends and use coaches- probably a bit cheaper as long as the timetable fits around your flight.
snow report
@philipt, there are a lot less transfer companies now and those have reduced services, that’s pushed up prices.

We used alps en route at New year https://www.aet.ski/ friendly English guy called Jamie runs it, don’t know if they’d be able to do a large group but worth asking
snow conditions
philipt wrote:
Hi heading to VT end of March in a group of 16. I have looked online for Transfers for us all.

I was wondering if anyone has used a particular company that they would recommend and have contact info for?

We go to Meribel but the same companies go to VT. Last year we used Mountain Express, who were good. On recommendations from here we are using Cool Runnings this time as they have very good reviews. As below a lot of companies have dropped out now so less choice. €120pp return this year, which I didn't think was bad.
snow report
@Layne,
Someone recommended the Bergfex app for mountain weather. It's actually really good and you favourite locations - brings a lot of info together which is handy and so easy to navigate. Whoever recommended it said they found it the most reliable.

The app is showing snow Fri/Sat and Mon/Tues in VT and Snowforecast has nothing. Let's see who's right!!
snow report
@kettonskimum, I find Bergfex the most consistently reliable (and, as you say, user-friendly) and use it wherever I am in Europe, unless there's a very good local forecaster eg in Chamonix.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kettonskimum wrote:
@Layne,
Someone recommended the Bergfex app for mountain weather. It's actually really good and you favourite locations - brings a lot of info together which is handy and so easy to navigate. Whoever recommended it said they found it the most reliable.

The app is showing snow Fri/Sat and Mon/Tues in VT and Snowforecast has nothing. Let's see who's right!!

I use Bergfex and find it very reliable*

* - Any forecast is only ever truly reliable 2/3 days out at max.
snow conditions
I have the Bergfex app too.

For Les Men it says 11cm Friday evening and then nothing until a smattering on Monday morning.

Better than nothing I know.

Still nothing on Snow Forecast.
latest report
philipt wrote:

Try FindTransfers

Just enter all your information and they'll forward it on to local transfer companies for quotes. We got a return transfer from Grenoble airport to Meribel for 7 people for €700. Some of the quotes we got were double that.

https://www.findtransfers.com/
snow report
Jefferson Darcy wrote:
philipt wrote:

Try FindTransfers

Just enter all your information and they'll forward it on to local transfer companies for quotes. We got a return transfer from Grenoble airport to Meribel for 7 people for €700. Some of the quotes we got were double that.

https://www.findtransfers.com/

We've got return transfers for 8 from GVA to VT for around 800 euro through findtransfers - week before Easter.
snow report
Layne wrote:
@Roscoe, not sure which forecast you are looking at but snow-forecast not showing much at all over the weekend Puzzled

Bergfex, they have been very reliable in the past so trust their forecast.

Currently forecasts snow in VT on Monday morning 3-5cm, then 10cm overnight into Tuesday morning, with a further snow fall on Thur/Fri but that probably too far out to forecast correctly.
snow conditions
I also use Meteoblue, which pretty much has the same forecast as Bergfex above.
ski holidays
Meteoblue is pretty good as they give a predictability score and a probability score.

So the snow Mon has a 40% predictability and 95% probability, obv the larger snow fall from Fri onwards has 20% predictability at this stage....

they explain the prob ratings here https://content.meteoblue.com/en/private-customers/website-help/14-day-weather

and predictability here https://content.meteoblue.com/en/research-education/specifications/weather-variables/predictability
ski holidays
philipt wrote:

Hey - I've used Alps2Alps in the past - they were my go-to transfer company until last year when their prices seem to rocket. I think something to do with where they get their drivers from having spoken to a few of the drivers over the years.

So last year I used themountainrescue, who were equally as reliable and a few quid cheaper.
snow report
I need your help 3V Hive Mind.
There is a big “Les Menuires” sign at the top of Point De La Masse.
and there is a big “Val Thorens” sign just down from top of “VT23 Les 2 Lacs”

Do people know if there are similar “Meribel” and “Courchevel” signs and specifically where I can find them ?
(& even La Tania & St Martin Signs)

(I know about the { Courchevel. Meribel } sign on the rock just down from “Pas Du Lac 2” - but its different)
ski holidays
@UtahGetMeTwo, there’s a big weathered steel Meribel at top of Plattieres/Chatelet. Not sure about Courchevel
snow conditions
Meribel sign is at the bottom of the Mottaret freestyle park. Just a little higher than the bottom of the Chatelet chair.
latest report
@snowrider, awesome !! Thanks for this.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy