Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2023/24 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@radar, thanks. I’m sure it will be ok. As you say, a taxi can be used as last resort.

Looking at going back to Salzburg for my 11:50 flight, first 680 at about 06:10 to Maishofen for 06:36. Then the 260 at 06:57 arriving at 08:35. I’m comfortable with that.

Seems way too simple! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Boofont, just in case you have a luggage question, you put your luggage in the “hold” just mention it to the bus driver Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@radar, thanks. I was wondering about that. I guess you board first then? Leave luggage outside then come back to load? I expect there’s standard lockers under the seats accessed from the side panels outside?

Downloaded google translate to help. Bit of an adventure so while a bit nervous it’s also quite exciting.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Boofont, yes check with the driver, then open the side panel and put it in, we buy our tickets through the app and one of us just checks with the driver
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@radar, thanks again. You’ve been very helpful.

Out on the 3rd Feb for a week, obviously not sure on your circumstances but are you around that week? Be nice to meet if you’re up for that kind of thing?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Boofont, unfortunately we won’t be in Saalbach then.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thinking of using the bus, fine from Salzburg to Saalbach as have all day after landing at 9:10. Our departure day however flight is 10:00am. Earliest bus gets us to the airport at 8:30. Too close for comfort for my better half.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Freefall, I would say to close, we always go for a two hour minimum.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Freefall, I would probably go for it, but obviously it’s your call. I can’t imagine that the gate will close anything like an hour and a half before departure, and Salzburg is a small, efficient airport. However I would check the weather forecast a couple of days beforehand to ensure that there will be no unusual weather conditions. This is emphatically not advice, merely a statement of what I would do (and I’m not reckless or a risk-taker). Have you checked the train times from Zell am See to Salzburg?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Staying in saalbach 24-28 of Jan - What is the best place to hire ski's for 4 people?

Anyone know any seasonairs to mention their name for a discount?

Thanks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sandviper, go to Hansi (“Hansi’s Best-Price”, next but one to Bobby’s Pub at the bottom of the main village street).
Hansi has good equipment, speaks fluent English, owns his own business, and is always willing to offer a competitive price. He is also very helpful if you have any problems.
He is a friendly guy and will no doubt offer you a welcome schnapps from the bar in his shop.
Mention my name (Tatman) and that I sent you to him for an additional discount on the price. (There’s no commission for me, but he does do me occasional favours)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for this - Very helpful
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tatman, train that would reach airport would have to be 5 in morning. I think I would rather travel down by bus the night before and stop in airport hotel. Have emailed Snow Camps private transfer but have yet to hear from them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
was impressed with the food in the Rosswald Alm. Anyone else agree or was it a one off?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mother hucker, we really enjoy the food there - it's one of our must visits.
ski holidays
@Freefall, would you mind letting me know how you get on with Snowcamps, I got the recommendation from someone in Zell, be good to know how you get one.
latest report
I have had a reply saying pick up and drop off for 8am check-in possible so will probably go for it. Will let you know
latest report
A group of us are arriving on Sat 20th Jan. We arrive in Munich Airport at 14.30 and are hiring cars. Given sat is transfer day, and assuming the weather is OK for driving (is not chucking down with snow), what would a reasonable journey time could we expect to have to make it to Saalbach?

Google maps usually states around 2 hrs 50 mins. I'm wondering at what stage of the journey should we expect the transfer traffic to impact us around that late afternoon? For example would it be hectic right from leaving the airport typically or is it only really when we are across the border and heading closer towards the main turnoff for the resorts that the traffic will be noticeably heavier?

I'm just trying to guesstimate arrival times to coordinate pickup of hire equiptment and to advance notice the hotel on possible arrival time.

Thanks
latest report
@conor256, Hi there.

I have done the Munich transfer several times, all be it by coach, and not for about ten years, arriving in about the same time on a Sat.

Some of the more regular Saalbach travellers may correct me and/or offer further comment but I don't recall there being a specific issue with heavy traffic. When you say "main turnoff for the resorts", I assume you mean like France with the windy road up the mountain? It's not like that. From memory I think it was about 3 to 4 hours in a coach and we probably stopped for a comfort break. So I think your "2 hrs 50 mins" is pretty good. Of course, you'll need to perhaps add an hour for baggage claim etc.

Ref the border, you should enter Schengen at Munich so I believe there should be no issues? Others will know better.
ski holidays
Thanks @Boofont for feedback.

What I mean by "across the border and closer to the turnoff for resorts" is, will it only be nearer the end of the journey when we are in the mountains that the transfer traffic will be noticeable?
snow report
Sometime the Munich ring roads and the A8 south of them is busy, you can avoid it by going erding, grafing, rosenheim-ish or siegsdorf, this is longer and is on slower (but very quiet) roads. Google maps can tell you in real time if there is traffic though. The roads in Austria will flow ok i would think, but the roads will be far from clear.

Be aware that you need buy a sticker (or virtual thingy) to go on Austrian motorways - you shouldn't need to use them to get to Saalbach (turn off before Kufstein) but if for whatever reason you get off piste then keep it in mind.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 4-01-24 13:54; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
I don't recall there being a notable change in traffic at any point in the journey to be honest. However, better to wait and hear from the more seasoned travellers for more reliable advice. I'm sure they will post soon.

As google does live traffic, you could use the coming Saturdays as a dummy run based on you arrival time of 14:30? Might help to gauge things?
latest report
@conor256, driving from MUC to Saalbach is pretty straightforward, but depends heavily on day, time, weather conditions and traffic flows.

From the airport the motorway down to the ring road will generally be clear. Once on the ring road (A99), it can be variable - it has speed limits in several places at peak times, but generally will flow fairly well. Once you get to the south of Munich and approach the A8, there will be some queueing towards the junction and that can be the first sign of trouble. The southbound leg of the A8 and the eastbound part as far as Rosenheim can be a nightmare at times, but in good conditions it will move freely.

If the A99 or A8 are reported to be exceptionally bad you can leave the A99 at Haar/Vattersteten and go east via Grafing towards Wasserburg, and cut the corner on the back roads if you are feeling brave or fancy the pretty route through villages. This will bring you out to Rosenheim, or you can carry on to Altenmarkt (an der Alz) and then through Traunstein to Siegsdorf.

Depending on your tolerance for traffic and your ability to access live traffic reports, you have four main options from the A8 -

1. down the Inntal to Kufstein Sud and then across via Scheffau, Ellmau and St Johann then through Feiberbrunn and Leogang to Saalfelden
2. down the Inntal to Niederndorf and then on through Walchsee and over the hill (up to 600m, usually clear) to Erpfendorf, then through Waidring to Lofer and then Saalfelden
3. stay on the A8 to Grassau then via Schleching or Reit im Winkl to join the road over the hill to Erpfendorf above (not recommended as both get over 800m in altitude)
4. stay on the A8 to Siegsdorf and then head via Inzell and Unken to Lofer, then Saalfelden

On an average changeover day in February, at least 2 of these routes will likely be slow, and the road from Saalfelden or even from Lofer could be nose to tail 30mph traffic. In January, all are likely to be clear unless there is heavy snow.

On previous trips, we've seen journey times between 3 hours and 6.5 hours where everything went wrong. Also allow time for car collection - could be 30+ minutes at peak times, plus you'll need 30 minutes at least to clear passport control and collect luggage, then another 20 minutes to the hire desks, then another 10 minutes from the hire desk to car pickup, so arrival at 14:30 will see you leave the airport no earlier than 16:00 with a 3+ hour drive in the dark ahead.

On the plus side, while Bayern are playing at home that weekend, the match is on the Sunday - trying to get around the A99 within 2 hours of the final whistle of a home game can be... interesting wink
snow conditions
@conor256, The route to Saalbach does not involve any driving "in the mountains." Unlike the journey to many French resorts, the road to Saalbach once you turn off the motorway involves driving along a valley, regardless of which route you take, and Saalbach itself is in a valley. No hairpin bends or nasty snow-covered goat tracks to negotiate.

... which brings us neatly to the routes listed by @ousekjarr. Note that route #4 via Siegsdorf and Inzell is currently closed and will be until summer 2025. Instead, stay on the A8 towards Salzburg and turn off at the Bad Reichenhall exit, following the road through Bad Reichenhall and then to Lofer, Saalfelden (beware the speed traps as you enter the town) and the Saalbach turn off before Zell am See at Maishofen. This route does not require a vignette. (This restriction also applies to the "short-cut" suggestion - there is no through road from Siegsdorf/Inzell to the Lofer/Saalfelden road).
latest report
Thanks for very informative reply guys Eh oh!
snow report
Hi all, does anyone have any recommendations for an off-piste ski guide? My husband is an an experienced and confident skiier, and used to go off-piste when we were still living in Canada. He'd love to check out the terrain in and around Saalbach. I've emailed Reini at penhab, but I'm not sure he knows it's not instruction that my husband needs, just someone to ski with him who is really familiar with Saalbach. He'd never go off-piste on his own since he doesn't know the terrain there...
latest report
@Skifamily, For off-piste guiding, try Stefan Baumgartner or Miriam Scharnagl at Freeride Skischool in Saalbach.

https://www.freeride-skischool.at/de/

Not that there is actually any decent off-piste in Saalbach at the moment as it hasn't snowed since Christmas. On-piste conditions however are excellent. Snow is forecast for the weekend - hopefully a big dump.
snow conditions
@Skifamily,
Reini at Penhab definitely does off piste ski guiding- there will be some instruction thrown in as well.
When are you in Saalbach?

I’m travelling out there tomorrow (6th January). I’ll be there for 2 weeks. I stay at the Penhab and can seek clarification from Reini if you want?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all, travelling out to Saalbach later today, can’t wait. Quick question, my 9 year old daughter is Celiac so just wondering do most restaurants on the mountain have gluten free options? She will be in ski school all week so no idea where they will be stopping for lunch! Thanks.
ski holidays
Usually they have a key on the menu identifying various things
ski holidays
@quinton, @Yorksboy, thanks both for the recommendations. I'll check out Freeride for sure. We'll be in Saalbach at the beginning of Feb, so given the latest forecasts and recent snow fall we're hoping that off-piste conditions might be at least okay. @Yorksboy, thanks so much for the offer. Reini responded to my email and I was surrprise at how much he charges for 3 hrs off-piste. I imagine it might have to do with safety etc. or perhaps that's just the going rate these days...
snow report
@Skifamily, I’m also out for a week, 3rd of Feb.
ski holidays
Alpin Pass - in previous years this was always there when we got to hotel (Inghams etc), as this year we're self booking everything is it best to order online or just buy when we get in? Whats best ?
snow conditions
@jackb, my husband is gluten intolerant (so cross contamination not the same issue it may be for you) and he could always find something to eat every day on the mountain and I don't think we ever had to rethink a choice of venue...hotels in Austrian ski resorts always seem to be bending over backwards to show off how well they can cope with him...he does miss his strudel, kaiserschmarn, etc...
snow report
@gt3, there's no discount for online ordering, so the only downside to buying it at the lift or in a hire shop is the potential for a queue, but even that is limited
latest report
gt3 wrote:
Alpin Pass - in previous years this was always there when we got to hotel (Inghams etc), as this year we're self booking everything is it best to order online or just buy when we get in? Whats best ?

I tried emailing Hansi for ski hire as recommended by Tatman but have had no reply, fingers crossed I will get a better price than the 20% off online booking when I just walk in
ski holidays
For those out there, how was the top up over the weekend? 19 days to go!!
latest report
I'm headed out to Hinterglemm on 20th Jan and was after a level 1 off piste lesson. Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't have the safety kit yet (transponder/probe/shovel) so would need a place that can provide that - I noticed New Gen in VT were doing that last year (I'm not investing until I know if the acl repair will hold up ok off piste).
ski holidays
@slider3, this is an earlier post

quinton wrote:
@Skifamily, For off-piste guiding, try Stefan Baumgartner or Miriam Scharnagl at Freeride Skischool in Saalbach.

https://www.freeride-skischool.at/de/

Not that there is actually any decent off-piste in Saalbach at the moment as it hasn't snowed since Christmas. On-piste conditions however are excellent. Snow is forecast for the weekend - hopefully a big dump.
snow conditions
Who’s good for ski hire in Hinterglemm?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy