Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region

Poster: A snowHead
Oi I want this thread at the top of page 1 for the next 5 months please. stab, I'll call u tomorrow I need you to dig my stuff out of the hole in the ground you store it in all summer Very Happy

Getting seriously holiday-mad now Toofy Grin Wengen on Saturday Very Happy Shocked Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
telford_mike, u lucky @ugger !!

More snow falling today and tomorow....an excellent time to be visiting the region !!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds reassuring. I'm due out on Saturday, staying at the Bernerhof, Wengen. Very Happy
I'm there solo Crying or Very sad & would appreciate some company on the piste or at the bar.
Any other SH's snowHead around next week Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lechbob and Telford_mike

You realise that we're green with envy here. Did you take a long range punt on good snow in early December or was this a last minute deal based on conditions?

Skibb
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skibb wrote:
Lechbob and Telford_mike
You realise that we're green with envy here. Did you take a long range punt on good snow in early December or was this a last minute deal based on conditions?
Skibb

No it was gamble, tempted by low price & no single supplement. I would normally play safe & go to Tignes or Zermatt for my pre Xmas jaunt.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Always travel out third week in December. No crowds, lots of opening parties, and quite often great snow too Smile Lechbob, how long are you staying?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
telford_mike wrote:
Lechbob, how long are you staying?

Just one week unfortunately.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm going out arriving Saturday, on the slopes Sunday morning. I'll be there for a week, around Mannlichen, Kleine Scheidegg and Murren. Maybe see some of you there!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stevehaskew, told you there would be snow Wink

I'm still injured so I dont care much for the snow at the moment Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hehe, I knew there would be snow after what you said about eating of hats and skiing in a one-piece.

I've been out a few times before, but I've never seen the Winteregg-Lauterbrunnen run open. Is it very rare? Or just that I've been at the wrong times?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stevehaskew, just you've been there when it hasn't been open...was good enough to run near full length Infernos 2004 (I think) and 2006 - and that's end of January.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stevehaskew wrote:
hehe, I knew there would be snow after what you said about eating of hats and skiing in a one-piece.

I've been out a few times before, but I've never seen the Winteregg-Lauterbrunnen run open. Is it very rare? Or just that I've been at the wrong times?

In the old days it never used to be open much as they never paid much attention to it but now they class it as a piste and protect it with snow cannons at the hot spots.

A year away but if you didnt know already they are replacing the very old/slow Winteregg chairlift with a detachable 4 seater ! (old news really)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It isn't the most exciting of pistes down from Winteregg, and the bottom can be nasty in less than perfect conditions. Oh, and I wouldn't want to do it on a snowboard either! But, if it's open, then it's better than downloading in the cable car.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just spoken to Jeremy (ex Sunstar, now Rocks bar) and apparently the piste into the village has changed. You don't ski down to the Caprice anymore. Many people expected to be skiing down the path next to the railway towards the station apparently! Sounds chaotic, will post pics.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chris Brookes wrote:

A year away but if you didnt know already they are replacing the very old/slow Winteregg chairlift with a detachable 4 seater ! (old news really)

Heard about this a while back. Apparently there'll also be a new lift from the bottom of Maulerhubel up to Almendhubel. This is great news IMO. Winteregg is always a good bet when the weather's a bit iffy, and the new lift up to Almendhubel will provide an alternative to the awful Palace run for those wanting to ski across to the Schilthornbahn from Winteregg.

Good to see Murren improving. I love the place but the old lifts do my head in. It's worth it all for a run down the Schilthorn though.
snow conditions
telford_mike,
Quote:

Just spoken to Jeremy (ex Sunstar, now Rocks bar) and apparently the piste into the village has changed. You don't ski down to the Caprice anymore. Many people expected to be skiing down the path next to the railway towards the station apparently! Sounds chaotic, will post pics.

Well in the old days there wasn't a run back to the station and many people who wanted to go back there did indeed just ski down the road, I'm only guessing but I would imagine that they are trying to encourage people to use the new route with tunnel under the railway and down the nursery slopes, it always was a bit of a pig getting over the railway line outside the Caprice in ski boots Laughing
snow report
So where is the new route? Or are they just forcing everyone to go under the railway bridge via the two very sharp 90 degree turns where it gets quite "fun" when busy - and also, when there is a lack of snow you come whizing around those two turns and suddenly find yourself under the bridge skiing on tarmac and grit Skullie
latest report
AdrianV, I'm glad I'm not the only one... Embarassed
ski holidays
sorry if this has been answered in the thread already (i'm sure it has)....

as a "first timer to be" in Wengen, and as an enthuasiastic intermediate, what are the toughest runs that I should be careful of ..... (my OH can get a little nervous if the slopes get too steep or icy but loves bumps... whereas i don't mind the steeper stuff too much but would be more wary of bumpy and extended narrow stuff)

thks
d
ski holidays
doogo wrote:

as a "first timer to be" in Wengen, and as an enthuasiastic intermediate, what are the toughest runs that I should be careful of ..... (my OH can get a little nervous if the slopes get too steep or icy but loves bumps... whereas i don't mind the steeper stuff too much but would be more wary of bumpy and extended narrow stuff)

thks
d

There are far more qualified people than me to answer this, but the obviouse ones are the mens downhill route and specifically the zielschuss, speedtrap and hunschopf (excuse spellings). There's also the part of this route that goes under the railway - quite steep going into a narrowing funnel under the bridge then there's Black Rock which can be quite challenging and if it's pisted, Oh God is another one to avoid. There's a steep bit down Arven, but theres a tame route around this off to the right. Gummi Nord doesn't seem to get pisted anymore, but that one is quite steep. As an enthusiastic intermediate the only ones you may be wary of are the hunsschopf, speedtrap and zielschuss - depends if you like the pure adrenalin rush....

having said all of that, those account for a miniscule proportion of what's there, and the rest of the mileage will eminently suit your OH. I am sure others will come along with different views.....
snow conditions
doogo wrote:

thks
d

I think AdrianV got it pretty spot-on. The only ones I'd add are the red route from the top of Salzegg t-bar back down parallel to the lift, and Schwarzen, the black which goes directly from Eigergletcher down to Scheidegg via Falboden. Both are steep and often icy, but if there's fresh snow conditions will be fine.
snow conditions
2 sections off Honegg can be less nice for someone nervous. From the top left towards Tschuggen is fairly steep. Then further down Right-most option. LOTS of traffic there, so its moguls and/or hardhardpack.

Both are VERY wide though

Other then that, Honegg became a 2nd Mannlichen, but much less blue Wink so real nice

Zielschuss is no more Sad
It got changed bigtime, so i doubt its going to be an issue any longer.
snow conditions
thks guys - that's a lot of good direction .... and if i do somehow manage to find my/ourselves on any of those runs, I shall just please ignorance Twisted Evil
snow report
AdrianV, There is a new Armco tunnel built in the Summer so the zig-zag can be avoided.
latest report
riverman wrote:
AdrianV, There is a new Armco tunnel built in the Summer so the zig-zag can be avoided.

thx. presumably there is still the wretched climb up to the top of the back of the nursery slope - or have they put in a lift there?
snow report
AdrianV, No sign of a lift when I was there in September. They have built some flats where you used to climb up to the nursery slope. I think the access to the Nursery slope is being moved along to the right. Perhaps somebody in resort can let us know.
ski holidays
riverman wrote:
AdrianV, They have built some flats where you used to climb up to the nursery slope. .

flats....racers retreat...whatever next? I live in Telford and know al about new town development - it's all gonna end in tears Sad
ski holidays
Don't worry AdrianV, if it all gets too bad they can just bulldoze the lot off the cliff onto Lauterbrunnen and start again Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AdrianV wrote:
riverman wrote:
AdrianV, They have built some flats where you used to climb up to the nursery slope. .

flats....racers retreat...whatever next? I live in Telford and know al about new town development - it's all gonna end in tears Sad

Low-cost housing in Wengen - brings a whole new meaning to Oh God! I'll have to advise the DHO to stop selling hoodies to the racers or we'll be in real trouble!

Seriously though, that nursery slope is prime real-estate. Somebody owns it (Swiss farmer with a couple of cows and CHF20 million in the bank). Whoever it is, they're going to clean-up.
latest report
telford_mike, It's not that prime, most of the Nursery slope is classed as a RED zone for avalanche danger, so no building there, they could build up by the Falken as the slight ridge there reduces the danger considerably, I'm old enough to remember the old cowshed in the middle of the slope being obliterated by a slide which is why the new one has that huge mound of soil behind it
snow report
D G Orf, True, but next summer they're spending CHF59m (or some other massive number) on avalanche protection above the village in order that they can build more new properties in the current red zone. Still not sure I'd want to live at the bottom of Mannlichen though Skullie
latest report
I'm on mannlichen testing boards. It's cold. That is all.

and all this building we be the death of wengen, mark my words. They havent figured out yet that staff have nowhere to live and it's getting worse. Rents are getting crazy.

and i'm out, going to work my way over to slimy friedegg very slowly, apparantly the doctor thinks my ribs are too bad to board with, we shall see, my breathing has been better in The past it has to be said.
ski holidays
stab, I'm inclined to agree with you with regards to the building, for 30 years there was practically no development in Wengen but in the last 10 years it's got worse with each passing season
snow report
stab, Enjoy mate - looks bloody cold to me!
ski holidays
telford_mike, it was, and a bit too much fun, now I have shallow breath and more pain than when I went to the doctors on sunday for the x ray Sad A day off and no boarding tomorrow Sad Sad It's too early in the season for this crap. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
While been stuck at Gatwick airport today i decided to buy the Jan 09 Dailymail Ski mag but was amused to find an error on the Jungfrau Region.

They have used a Wengen picture to promote the resort as a top 10 destination for families (why when it has so many cars in the resort now)and then used the same picture doing a small article on Murren on page 114 Puzzled Puzzled

Please note i was stuck at the airport for over 5 hours so i had the time to pick at the mag !
snow report
Chris Brookes, no great surprise, a few year ago they used a background pic over 2 pages of the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau, just one small problem, the picture was printed back to front so teh Eiger ended up on the right Shocked Laughing
snow report
Chris Brookes, We all know that you have copyright on the best Murren pictures - hence their problem snowHead
snow report
stab, pray give us a rundown on the conditions!! puleeze!!
snow conditions
Looks like they are preparing the lower runs now - great shot from the Innerwengen webcam this morning..

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy