Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
D G Orf, Thanks. Re your earlier post, yep 2 lifts are marked below Almend. The one nearer the village was called Lus
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowing down to Murren Very Happy

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pjd, Yeah Lus rings a bell, there's a chalet Am Lus overlooking the same slope so that's probably it
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Must be at least 15cm of fresh snow on Maennlichen this morning right down to mid station and it's still bucketing down
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snow in Wengen today and blizzarding up on top. Shame the Maennlichen closes tomorrow.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Powder fest up on the Maennlichen today for it's final day of the season. What a finale. Till next season!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Last day for the DHO webcam tomorrow, as we suspend the telephone line for the summer to save a few shekels. It'll return on or around 14th November.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A strange season to be sure. A mixture of feast and famine. Still great conditions high up by the look of things and the base looked bullet proof on some of the slopes when I was there last week. I wonder when all the snow will go from Maennlichen and The Punch Bowl. July?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pjd, I've seen avalanches from the back of Tschuggen even in late July before, there are a few spots that hold the snow very well especially in the gully between Tschuggen and Lauberhorn, The south facing slopes will go quite quickly if the weather stays fairly warm and sunny I'd guess some point in May, the northern slopes especially up below the Eiger may well hang onto its snow until June or July

Conditions this year were undoubtedly good overall I'd say, with the village pretty much accessible by ski run from start to end of season, I've been there in May before when you were hard put to ski beyond Allmend, likewise I've been there at the start of the Season in December where there was no snow in the village and many slopes higher up were closed due to lack of snow depth
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Starting from next week the Sports Centre in Mürren is being refurbished and vastly improved costing CHF 8'000'000 and will be partly closed until the winter season 2012/13.
http://www.muerren.ch/aksz/

taken by the Schilthorn cableway LTD

The Allmendhubel funnicular is closing on Monday 16th (other lifts open until 22nd April) for its annual maintenance but this year its having the ropes replaced. (picture showing the new rope been carried up on the Stechelberg transport cablecar)

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 17-04-12 19:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Still snowing in Murren !!

Getting ready to start replacing the cable

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Switzerland getting ready for the summer tourism... Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/LpCQuzF4dU8
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris Brookes, Laughing sometimes I think it's exactly what happens, everything in the countryside around Switzerland and even in most Swiss cities always seems so clean and neat, in reality I think it's simply that this is how the Swiss behave, they have plenty of litter bins (even special bins for dog mess) so people don't drop litter or leave dog mess on the pavement, because from an early age they have been taught not to, because the local authorities provide plenty of bins etc this is no inconvenience, it even seems to work in the UK, locally my home town used to get quite grubby and lacked for litter bins, in recent years the number of bins in the high street has probably trebled or even quadrupled and we have very little litter there, people still allow their dogs to foul the pavement though, something I find truly disgusting
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D G Orf,

It's an interesting connundrum. In summer we usually spend a few weeks cruising the Greek islands. One of the (many) challenges of living on a smallish yacht is disposal of rubbish. Many of the smarter ports have removed all their wastebins as they believe that this makes for a cleaner environment (saves money too I guess). It does seem to work too. Folk seem to be quite happy to leave a binbag full of rubbish next to a wastebin, but no bins at all = no rubbish!

I guess the Swiss system works because they actually empty the bins regularly!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
telford_mike, Yeah that probably makes a big difference, certainly since they added the extra bins locally and have a chap who empties them daily (or every couple of days) I've noticed a definite improvement here, having bins that are not emptied doesn't really do much good as gets noticed when bin men go on strike and you get piles of rubbish in the streets where people just pile more bags next to the bins
snow report
Latest News....

High winds at Kleine Schedegg have ripped the tepee covering off

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150690454660658&set=a.398808030657.181503.52826965657&type=1&theater
latest report
D G Orf wrote:
Latest News....

High winds at Kleine Schedegg have ripped the tepee covering off

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150690454660658&set=a.398808030657.181503.52826965657&type=1&theater

Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
I have a strange feeling this might have happened at least once before, those Fohn winds can really drive through Kleine Scheidegg at stupidly high speeds, well over 120kph
snow report
I've been in Wengen when the Lauberhorn weather station reported gusts of 150kph, but the Tipi survived. Heaven knows what it must have taken to do that!
latest report
I would imagine that a gust pulled something loose and then with it all flapping around in the wind it just got shredded, with no one about to fasten things down if they get loose it's much easier for it to happen
snow report
Work has begun above Wengen for the new 6 seater Chairlift at Wixi/Lauberhorn

Wixi bridge to be replaced too (as per Hotel Caprice comments)

taken by Hotel Caprice Wengen
http://www.caprice-wengen.ch/

New 6-seater Wixi chairlift
From the 2012/13 winter season, the Wixi chairlift will be replaced by a 6-seater chairlift with yellow weather-protection hoods.
Transport capacity will thus be increased from 1200 to 1800 persons per hour.
To take account of the increasing number of guests on the piste, the bridge over the Wengernalp Railway will be replaced by a new 20-metre-wide, 35-meter-long bridge

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/winter/tourism/ski-region/benefits/#neue-6er-sesselbahn-wixi_258

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 5-06-12 22:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Snow again today! I know it won't last.

http://webcams.jungfrau.ch/kleinescheidegg/KS_Station_gr.jpg
ski holidays
pjd wrote:
Snow again today! I know it won't last.

http://webcams.jungfrau.ch/kleinescheidegg/KS_Station_gr.jpg

Still nice to see. It has snowed down to Murren and the temp currently is -5c..see below

Taken by Hotel Jungfrau, Murren
http://www.hoteljungfrau.ch
latest report
Apparently the new Wixi Bridge will be some 20M wide given that teh current one is only something like 5 or maybe 6 M wide that's likely to make a huge difference, I believe it will also be longer, I wonder if they will make it span over the blue run to Wengeneralp, if people will be coming down there at a faster rate which I guess will occur with a wider bridge they will need top do something to prevent accidents at the crossing point
snow report
D G Orf wrote:
Apparently the new Wixi Bridge will be some 20M wide given that teh current one is only something like 5 or maybe 6 M wide that's likely to make a huge difference, I believe it will also be longer, I wonder if they will make it span over the blue run to Wengeneralp, if people will be coming down there at a faster rate which I guess will occur with a wider bridge they will need top do something to prevent accidents at the crossing point

True.

It would be better if they had 2 bridges - a big one which continues down to the lift, and a small one which turns off onto the rat-run.
ski holidays
Also if it does cross the rat run, they will be constantly having to push snow under it, 20M wide is a big distance to keep snow covered
snow report
20cm of snow fell today!!

snow report
Doesn't it look lovely this morning

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Brookes, it certainly does, much nicer than the view from my window that's for certain Sad
ski holidays
Alot of the work is inside the complex but its full steam ahead at the Sports Centre in Mürren.
All material for the construction will be transported by cable car and train to Mürren and transferred on lorries at the train station.

http://www.muerren.ch/aksz/
latest report
Chris Brookes wrote:
Alot of the work is inside the complex but its full steam ahead at the Sports Centre in Mürren.
All material for the construction will be transported by cable car and train to Mürren and transferred on lorries at the train station.

if they had a bigger crane they could just haul it all up directly from the car park Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Chris Brookes wrote:

What - they allow lorries in "car free" Murren? Shocking! They should use horse drawn wagons. wink
snow report
Alastair Pink, rather like Wengen I imagine, Graf who do 90% of the construction work in Wengen own a few construction vehicles which in Winter spend their time covered over in the builders yard at the outer edge of the village, likewise few people would realise that Wengen has its own timber yard and I believe it may also have a small quarry, but because they don't work in winter no one realises they are there .
ski holidays
long time no see, and I only turn up selling something, awesome. Embarassed
I have one of these for sale, brand new, opened only for photos. Tried sticking it Egay but my account screwed me. Uk account selling in switzerland or something.
Tissot T Touch II Jungfraubahn Limited Edition, 100% legit.

Chuck me a pm if you're interested, if you need to know how much then you cant afford it Laughing

Peace
snow conditions
stab, Would love it, but already know I can't afford it Sad
snow report
it is an awesome watch, its just not my thing, I prefer my over blinged blatantly fake breitling that falls apart every month and loses 5 minutes a day.
ski holidays
Actually what I'd really like is the little 20Chf black and gold 100th Anniversary pin in it's little engraved metal box, oh well hopefully if I can sort my finances out in the next month or two I will be able to order one.

Besides I'd never wear the watch I prefer metal straps Laughing
snow conditions
D G Orf wrote:
Alastair Pink, rather like Wengen I imagine, Graf who do 90% of the construction work in Wengen own a few construction vehicles which in Winter spend their time covered over in the builders yard at the outer edge of the village, likewise few people would realise that Wengen has its own timber yard and I believe it may also have a small quarry, but because they don't work in winter no one realises they are there .

The builders yard in Mürren is located on the outskirts of the village on the LHS when arriving via the train from Winteregg
snow report
Despite the much improved snow making facilities ,the resort still seems to make a mess of the closing dates for the Wengen ski area
Each year Mannlichen closes a week before Kleine Scheidegg.Next season it will close on the 7th April,a limited amount of lifts and pistes will run on KS until the following weekend.
Personally I feel the resort should try and remain fully open until the middle of April and get the message out,that there is some great spring skiing to be had.At the moment Hotels and tour operators close more or less when the Mannlichen shuts .
ski holidays
Jill t, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy