Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Changes to SCGB Reps' Off-Piste Rules

Poster: A snowHead
Latchigo wrote:
Jockeys are low-sized, little chaps so the urinals have to be attached to the wall at child height.

achilles wrote:
Latchigo, that's a bit low.

.... And so, a comprehensive discussion of off-piste skiing turns to the back bowls.

Best snow in upper bowls.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
x7 wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
GrahamN, The Ladies' at the Garrick is a lot finer than the Gents'.

Cool
It appears we have a lavatorial connoissoeur in our midst.

connaisseuse, please, unless you are making unseemly rematks about the gender of the OP Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith wrote:
.... And so, a comprehensive discussion of off-piste skiing turns to the back bowls.............

Bowels rather than bowls?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
richjp wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:

This is not a time for illusions and diversions.

Then stop doing it.

If I've generated any then obviously I apologise. That's not the intention at all.

What I meant by "illusions" (or should it be "delusions") is the idea that the off-piste can somehow be divided into two areas of risk, most importantly into two levels of risk that the insurance industry or courts of law, or any other relevant authorities, would recognise. Then there's the question of whether a rep, already burdened with concerns over whether he/she is doing the right thing, can make rational judgements over whether a piece of terrain is OK to ski (i.e. close enough to the piste) or definitely 'out of bounds'. Has this really been thought through?

I think you, rich, have a lot of relevant knowledge here. It would be interesting to have your take on the above.

As for "diversions", the proposition that everyone ups sticks and goes 'off-piste' but 'in-bounds' with reps in America is - to my mind - speculative as far as risk and liability are concerned. The Aspen incident is the case in point.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, As a lawyer, I absolutely agree with all of your first (main) paragraph. As to the definition of 'in-bounds' in North America, there is no reason why those words could not be incorporated into relevant insurance policies: it appears (from what I have read, I have no on-the-spot knowledge) that this is an easily definable concept, so if the specific issue is whether the skiers were in-bounds or out-of-bounds, then that issue alone can presumably be resolved without difficulty. But, as I think most posters agree - even though this is a pessimistic and dismal scenario, one which perhaps we shouldn't be losing too much sleep over, lest it put us off skiing altogether - liability can sometimes attach to a third party irrespective of the location of the accident.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith, ..."As a lawyer, I absolutely agree..." and that'll be £450 plus VAT and disbursements, thanks very much.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Swiller, I see your disbursements include a month's research in St Anton, Chamonix, Jackson Hole and your new ski wig. Very reasonable. I'm writing out a cheque for £5450 as I type.
How do you find the wig on the slopes?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith, snowHead keep it up...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller, Bog OFF. I gave up private practice some time ago, not least because I got seriously fed up with fending off comments like that. What I do as a lawyer now is so poorly paid it is pretty much pro bono. Skullie

David Goldsmith, Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle wrote:
Bode Swiller, Bog OFF.
There's an offer you don't often see from a lawyer: Buy one get one for free?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
admin, And you too (there, that's two for one seen off.) Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have any of the snowheads who have posted on this tread never skied off piste without an instructor or guide or accompangiateur (or anyone else who was- officially in charge and geting paid)?

If not- why worry about SCGB members skiing off piste with reps?

It is very kind harted of you to worry about our safety - but I have a horrid feeling that you all duck under ropes whenever the feeling takes you- using your jungement, alone, with mates, with a guy you just met on a ski lift. I certainly do.

So really why the worry about SCGB- is it the cravats - or is there some sordid sexual motive?? I'm guessing now- but a tasty rep who's pants you just couldn't get into?? A horsey upper class gal who would not give you a knee trembler round the back of Dick's T bar??

We must be told!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
edsilva, I do not ski off-piste alone (usually stupid, even for experts) I do not ski off-piste with mates unless I know and trust them, I have skied off-piste with a Ski Club rep because I trusted him. I have a strong feeling that, if I met you on a ski lift, I would not ski off-piste with you. I am not particularly worried about the SCGB - and would guess that most of the posters on this thread, SCGB members included, do not lose a great deal of sleep worrying about the health of the Club - that isn't, largely, what this thread is about. Nor is the thread about the safety of people skiing with reps, it's about insurable risks and also about the fact that, soon, there probably won't be any reps to ski with anyway, at least off-piste. Some people enjoy skiing with the reps; I'm not sure that the majority do this because they fancy them, but no doubt someone will correct if I'm wrong about that.

You talk about 'our safety' from which I infer you are a Club member. If so, why?

In short, what are you getting at?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
With regard to "A horsey upper class gal who would give you a knee trembler round the back of Dick's T bar", by strange coincidence, I heard a story just the other day... but no, I expect I'd get into trouble if I told Wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For a start I am being flippant. This is an internet thread - not real life.

There's off piste and not so off piste- and there really is a difference- the pregnancy analogy is odd.

In Europe most resorts mark trails and those are the pistes, groomed or not. Away from this is off piste- be it under the lifts, from 1 piste to another , bowls to the side or way out the back- regardless of the avalanche control.

In North America they seem to have a much better arrangement, with inbounds and out of bounds areas. Inbounds- the ski area, controlled- skiable but hopefully with (empty) acres of ungroomed, as well as bashed pistes. Perhaps Baquera is going to / has this arrangement.

In my experience the SCGB skis the type of off piste which would be inbounds in NA. I think this is reasonable.

Off piste alone- well even crossing off the side of a piste by 30cm into some fresh in Europe is off piste- everyone does this (really they do- Hurtle- I'm sure you do- say you don't) cutting any corner beyond a piste marker is this. Likewise I would happily ski stable snow near the pistes (sight and sound) with lots of people (friends aquaintances- you I'm sure - I bet we'd have a great time). There is a big difference however in remote, uncontrolled off piste- eg Cugnai etc in Val D'Isere- which I wouldn't dream of doing alone- but would do with a guide.

Considering skiing is a sport with obvious risks it is odd that people get so upset about others taking more risks that them. Part of this thread is about that. When I was younger/fitter/lighter I was a reasonably active climber- every climber I have ever known is happy to solo within his capabilities (that is climb without a rope). Lots of hill walkers go scrambling- basically a walk where you have to use your hands but shouldn't really be able to fall off. But some sadly do have accidents, just like the many who get lost/ fall off etc sticking to the regular paths. But there would never be this sort of discussion about whether or not it is ok for a club to go scrambling / climbing etc without a 'fully qualified person' regardless of the outcome. This practice goes unchallenged when practiced by the Eagle Ski Club an dth eAlpine Ski club (although I think to even be in th Alpine Ski Club you have to have at least skied across Greenland blindfold & backwards)

I really do not understand the mentality which demands that others stick to a set of imaginary rules (which I'm really sure nobody posting here keeps to).

Maybe I'm wrong but I think that much of the thread goes; SCGB reps ski off piste with SCGB members, SCGB reps are not guides/ instructors/(as good as I think I am), people should only go off piste with guides/instructors (for different reasons- and really I don't think that the insurance / liability issue is at the heart of peoples ranting)- therefore IT SHOULD BE BANNED. Alot of the posts are about wanting to control what other people do - why?? Really- possibly because the posters feel like winding people up (why not?) - possibly because they feel out of control themselves in their own lives- I don't know- but really that posters who haven't skied with reps and who I'm sure themselves ski off piste (as strictly defined) all the time should want to rant and rave about this says far more about them (parsimony / obsessionality) than anything else.

Perhaps it's about not liking clubs, perhaps they don't get on well with other people in real life and spend too much time pontificating in cyberspace, perhaps it is the rather odd image of the SCGB, perhaps some sort of sordid sexual jealousy- which is at the root of quite a lot of problems I can tell you- that's my favourite and I'm sticking to it.

wink wink
ski holidays
Hurtle, hand on heart now- say you have never ever skied between 2 pistes alone. Not even a little bit
ski holidays
Quote:

is there some sordid sexual motive??

Quote:

a knee trembler round the back of Dick's T bar??

Quote:

perhaps some sort of sordid sexual jealousy

edsilva, are you in the wrong forum? Easy done.
latest report
edsilva, There are some posters here who may not necessarily wish the clubs repping service well, but the issue actually is simply about the Club's liability to negligence and other legal claims, and very little more than that. I agree with a lot of what you say about a common sense approach, but because the club has assets it is a target for legal action and has to act with due diligence. As a Ski Club member, I am however pleased to learn that the motives of some who disagree with me may by sordid sexual jealousy on their part... wink
snow report
edsilva, Yes, I have skied between pistes on my own. There are obviously different levels of risk and the sport is equally obviously not risk-free at any level. But I'm afraid I must continue to disagree with you about what this thread is about - it's mostly by and about people who WANT to ski off-piste (properly, not just poddling about at the side of the piste) not people who want it BANNED. As stoatsbrother says, the main issue is one of liability when and if something goes wrong, given that insurers tend not to take the - perfectly justifiable - laid-back approach that you do. Simple as that - people want to ski off-piste, insurers don't want to cover them, except in very specific and restrictive ways. Where you've gleaned all this stuff about banning, ranting, raving and controlling, I simply don't know. I suspect it may reflect one or more obsessions of yours, rather than of other posters on this thread.

PS I have met one or two quite fanciable reps in my time. wink
snow conditions
Ha! I knew it! I'm too sexy for my (SCGB) shirt! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
edsilva, perhaps you need to re-read the thread. The raison d'etre is that the Club is, possibly, curtailling some of the Reps' off piste leading - an action apparently prompted by possible legal action being taken following a fatal accident in Switzerland - not that members want the repping to be changed - apart from DG of course.
latest report
edsilva, I was largely introduced to off piste by skiing with reps long ago. I valued that and am still a member (largely for the holidays since I no longer ski with reps, except ocasionally on their rest day).
I think the main contact of most members with the club is the reps and the thing which distinguishes Reps from Package Company ski hosts is the off-piste. I believe substantial cutting of the reps' mandate off piste would damage the club by causing a long term reduction in membership and good candidates for the Reps.

And yes, I ski off piste with friends - and probably ski a few things the Reps might not. We take group responsibility for what we do, but I am now worried the police might take another view if one person knew the resort better than others.
latest report
what do these changes actually mean in practice??

From the reps I have spoken to / skied with the amount and nature of the off piste they have skied depends very much on the resort. So in the plusher resorts of Switzerland, with a very traditional SCGB membership (who really do turn up for drinks in cravats and pearl necklaces - not always worn together) off piste skiing may almost never happen. But in Val D'Isere, Verbier, Argentiere there is alot of off piste skiing- but in the many groups I have skid with this has been very much 'Inbounds'. By this I mean between pistes, easily accessible, no route finding problems, mostly visible from the pistes/ lifts, not threatened by uncontrolled slopes ( this bit is important)- but obviously with some hazards that don't exist on the piste- increased risk of slides, unmarked obstacles, terrain traps etc- but far less likely to get wiped out by some prat skiing out of control- which happens alot. The reps have very rarely if ever gone 'over the back' onto slopes with different characters - for example Grand Vallon in Val D'Isere - although easily accessible would be totally out- also Cugnai, etc, and that is when skiing with SCGB groups almost entirely composed of Val D'Isere seasonaires, with the remainder being strong skiers with really quite a lot of off piste experience. To do that they get a guide for the day. I think that this is a reasonable common sense approach. If some reps have been skiing a different type of terrain (lets call it Outbounds) and if that is why there is this change in wording then that actually might be OK. I don't think that the groups are strong enough to collectively tackle those sorts of routes without a 'leader'.

With TO reps even a foray into some fresh snow an inch from the piste is off limits.
snow conditions
so- having explained why I think what the SCGB does is reasonable, and why it just might be the case that some reps have been unreasonable and how firming that up might not be a bad thing I'm still convinced that some of the posters are making a point about something else- which says more about them than the topic.
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
but I am now worried the police might take another view if one person knew the resort better than others.
I wouldn't lose too much sleep over that one snowball. The law really doesn't work like that, even though some lawyers might wish it were so - just think how long and drawn out the cases would be trying to establish, through expert witnesses and associates just who in the group that person was - unless of course, you turned round, held up your hands and wailed, "It's all my fault, take me away!". IMO (and after speaking to an insurance co.) I just don't think it would happen amongst a peer group skiing without some very substantial extenuating circumstances.

The SCGB's problem is that the rep's role as a peer is questionable because of the [quasi-]professional relationship [s]he has with the club's clients.
ski holidays
Hi all, followed a link from the SCGB board to this thread.

edsilva, I've skied with lots of reps too - especially in Val d'Isere - and what you say is true, all the serious stuff I did there was with a TopSki guide arranged by the rep. You could well be right that this change has come about as a way of reining in some reps who have been getting a bit too bold. So in that sense it's not really a change for the majority of members and reps alike.

I myself have witnessed members demanding to be taken here there and everywhere by the rep, only to bitch and moan when they've been turned down. They would then say that so and so had taken them there the season before. The rep would then make the point that they shouldn't have gone to where ever it was.

It's also been my observation that the most demanding members have actually been rather poor skiers, with technique seemingly based more on survival rather than skill. They would also be devoid of any real mountain craft. So in a very real sense, the reps had a real primary duty of care to them.

But I must say that I have been privileged to ski with some very good skiers over the years, who have also been great company and have gone on to be lifelong friends.

I'd like to see members keeping a log of their off-piste activities - bit like RYA does for chaps/gals who sail - so the reps can look at comments from other reps and guides about any particular member, just like a skipper would for an unkown comp crew. I'd also like to see the club handing out certificates of competence for transceiver use, as well as mountain craft in general.
snow report
Welcome to snowHeads PJSki snowHead

Nice entrance Wink
ski holidays
edsilva, I am surprised that you say reps wouldn't go to Grand Vallon and Cugnai now, they certainly used to. This shows how the remit for Reps has already narrowed.

I certainly skied much more dangerous places than those with reps and (especially) party leaders - who are reps in another mode. The stairway to Heaven and Chardonay (at Tignes) were routine, and much hairier than that on occasions (veterans of the wonderful and wildly popular "Hotshots" holidays will have memories).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, the not so's, as they were rather unkindly known in some parts?
snow conditions
admin wrote:
snowball wrote:
but I am now worried the police might take another view if one person knew the resort better than others.
I wouldn't lose too much sleep over that one snowball. The law really doesn't work like that, even though some lawyers might wish it were so - just think how long and drawn out the cases would be trying to establish, through expert witnesses and associates just who in the group that person was - unless of course, you turned round, held up your hands and wailed, "It's all my fault, take me away!". IMO (and after speaking to an insurance co.) I just don't think it would happen amongst a peer group skiing without some very substantial extenuating circumstances........

But davidof seems to see things differently

davidof wrote:
Being a "group leader" if you are skiing with friends may just mean you were the person who suggested a route etc. As a piece of advice, if you are skiing off-piste in France either do so in a totally clueless manner so that no liability can be attached to any group member or involve every member of the group in any decisions about route choice, stability, group management, equipment hire etc. so there is no clearly defined "group leader" who exclusively made all the decisions.
ski holidays
snowball, I think that skiing places like Grand Vallon and Cugnai with a random selection of SCGB members just met that morning really would be a bit of a problem- and I'm supposed to be the irresponsible one here!

Both are properly off piste and not at all avalanche controlled (as opposed say to Grand Mur in Argentiere- head down point de vue- turn left under the catex). Whilst some groups would manage the skiing without problem I'm not at all sure that the whole group would be able to ski these without being led and really relying on the rep not just for route finding and selection but also their basic safety. Many groups I've skied with would contain some members who would really struggle with both the skiing and not be able to look after themselves. These sorts of route are committing- once you've started that's it- if one member is in trouble with technique or fitness then there is no easy way out.

Party leaders on SCGB holidays are in a bit of a different position in that the abilities of the group should be more consistent.

PJski- do we know each other?? Puzzled
snow conditions
In fairness to edsilva there was quite a lot of stuff on this thread along the lines of "there's no such thing as a little off piste"/"if you go off piste with someone who doesn't have a badge YOU WILL DIE" before it reached what appears to be an equilibrium of chat about liability insurance

interestingly, i met a few Alpine Ski Club people last week and got the impression that "back in the day" the SCGB rep's course was quite a respectable thing to have even amongst such august company as the ASC
snow report
(sorry, double post)

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 26-11-07 11:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
snowball wrote:
PJSki wrote:
snowball, the not so's, as they were rather unkindly known in some parts?
Sounds reasonable. Embarrassing title but good fun till it got too big. No way they could repeat now what we did then (unfortunately).

To be honest my memories are mostly of party leaders. It is a VERY long time since I've skied with a rep with a random group of punters.
snow conditions
Scrumpy wrote:
The raison d'etre is that the Club is, possibly, curtailling some of the Reps' off piste leading - an action apparently prompted by possible legal action being taken following a fatal accident in Switzerland - not that members want the repping to be changed - apart from DG of course.

There is nothing "possible" about it. The 2007 annual report clearly states "Legal action is being taken against the Company [The Ski Club of Great Britain Limited] in respect of an accident in a resort."
No, the repping procedure is being changed because the board and/or executive feel this is a prudent action. It's a measure to make us a less obvious target for litigation: sensible 'risk management'. The question is whether the new directive goes far enough.

When the Club relinquished its role as the governing body of British ski racing in the early 1960s, I'd have greatly supported it becoming the national training body of ski instructors (since we were moving from the competitive to the recreational) - if not the training body of ski guides too - but this was not to be. We're dealing with international ski terrain and the importance of skiing qualifications that are recognised internationally. Ski terrain is clearly divided between checked (piste) and unchecked (off-piste). Off-piste terrain is best skied by individuals and groups entirely at their own risk, or people led by guides or instructors with internationally-recognised credentials. There are no grey areas unless one invents them.

The Ski Club was not established to line the pockets of lawyers and insurance companies. It was founded and developed to make British skiers better informed, better trained, better protected ... and all-round better entertained holidaymakers.

That's got to be the focus of how the subs are spent. If reps have to withdraw from the off-piste, so be it. The world will go on spinning and the Club will - no doubt - find more sensible things to do.
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
..........That's got to be the focus of how the subs are spent. If reps have to withdraw from the off-piste, so be it. The world will go on spinning and the Club will - no doubt - find more sensible things to do.

Like fold, and divide the proceeds from sale of the assets (mainly the White House) up between the members. So it may be a good thing to remain in the Club - until the dust settles, at least. I have no idea what the White House is worth, though. Anybody got an idea?
snow conditions
You'll find the answer to that question on p.14 of the accounts, though I don't think it's a current valuation (since it's unchanged from 2006).

The carpet-bagging (piste-bagging?) strategy you suggest is a real no-no, in my view. There's a job to be done.
latest report
achilles,
Quote:

have no idea what the White House is worth, though. Anybody got an idea?

Is the mortgage with Northern Rock Laughing wink
snow report
David Goldsmith, I'd really like to say that I have treasured the accounts, and kept them carefully as a thing of joy. I haven't. What's the value? Can't see the Club has any 'job' at all if the rep system folds. Holidays are available elsewhere, I for one don't insure with them, S&B is good, but many snowheads seem to prefer Fall Line (never read it myself). Skiing promotes itself perfectly well without the Club - arguably less popularity would mean less pollution anyway. As for the web site - well, there's a rival called snowheads which seems to be doing OK. And hasn't banned you. Yet. Nope. No off-piste repping, no point.

Hmm. Lets have a look at an office property for sale there. Ooo. I wonder of the White house is worht as much as £2million. Let's say it is. So that's £2 million/30,000 - roughly. Um that's, let me see, £67. Oh. Don't think I'll bother then. Just get out if the repping's down the pan.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 26-11-07 10:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
boredsurfin, I think the property is owned freehold - it was bought with the proceeds of the Eaton Square club house sale.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy