Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2023/24 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc

Poster: A snowHead
Eeek. I hate ice. Staying in Central. It looks like we might get some snow next week. Thanks for the intel - enjoy your week!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good snow around Morraine lift in VT and over into the 4th valley.
Cote Brune return really bumpy but fun.
Snow holding up amazingly really - no slush, and if you can turn tightly, you can pick good lines that avoid the scraped bits.
It's not perfect, but way better all over the 3 Vs than many might expect.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JDL65 wrote:
Good snow around Morraine lift in VT and over into the 4th valley.
Cote Brune return really bumpy but fun.
Snow holding up amazingly really - no slush, and if you can turn tightly, you can pick good lines that avoid the scraped bits.
It's not perfect, but way better all over the 3 Vs than many might expect.

Good to hear a positive report! With the snow forecast later this week, lets hope it gives all the slopes in VT a good top up!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Back from La Tania yesterday. Pistes fantastic across all the valleys. Folyeres into resort has a great base. Lovely skiing around the Altiport in Meribel and plenty of snow down to mid-station in St Martin, and perfectly skiable to village level at 1450. Had an incredible week.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lemoncake wrote:
Back from La Tania yesterday. Pistes fantastic across all the valleys. Folyeres into resort has a great base. Lovely skiing around the Altiport in Meribel and plenty of snow down to mid-station in St Martin, and perfectly skiable to village level at 1450. Had an incredible week.

Good to hear Very Happy
We're off to La Tania on Saturday, for our first trip to the 3 Valleys! Can't wait!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The red down into La Tania has seen better days this season I'm sure. It's had a nice grassy patch so far this week but today they added a "Thin snow cover" sign which is slightly optimistic. If you're up above Courchevel though the snow is pretty good. Meribel definitely seems the worst. ESF instructor on a lift said the best morning snow is currently over in Orelle, VT generally seems pretty good.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
franga wrote:
Roscoe wrote:
Sorry for my repeated questions about possible destinations and timings from and to VT, but here goes another one. How long will it take to get to Meribel? Firstly Meribel-Mottaret and then potentially further down to the centre?

My wife skied there on a school trip 25+ years ago and would be nice to see if we can get over there and back if time will allow (collecting kids from ski school).

There are a few options ... how comfortable are you on red runs (which may be icy in the morning depending on temps / any freeze-thaw cycle etc)?

1 option would be :

Up Plein Sud
Up the 3Vs gondola
Down Lac de la Chambre (you can avoid the steep red pitch at the start by taking the blue variant on your right)
Up Plan des Mains
Ski all the way down to Mottaret - you can avoid the Martre carnage / ice fest by taking the green variant on the left as you approach the village
Then the green Truite all the way down to Meribel

Up Legends
Head left towards Tougnette 2 (follow the snowpark on your left)
Up Tougnette 2
Then make your way to the bottom of the Mont de la Chambre chair
Down the Mon de la Chambre blue
Head left after the restaurant on your right to join the bottom of Pluviometre (otherwise you'll end up in Les Menuires)

To be honest - your morning would be better spent playing on the Boismint and Plan de L'Eau sectors (lovely runs) or heading down to St Martin for a coffee / cake ...

Sorry to revisit this post. As we are heading to VT next week, I was looking on Openskimaps.org to visually plan this route in my head. I'm lost at "Then make your way to the bottom of the mont de la Chambre Chair". I can see the lift on the map but not a slope(s) to get to it??

Is it the Gros Tougne blue into the Violette green, then up the Menuires lift with a quick ski to Mont de la Chambre??
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Roscoe wrote:
franga wrote:
Roscoe wrote:
Sorry for my repeated questions about possible destinations and timings from and to VT, but here goes another one. How long will it take to get to Meribel? Firstly Meribel-Mottaret and then potentially further down to the centre?

My wife skied there on a school trip 25+ years ago and would be nice to see if we can get over there and back if time will allow (collecting kids from ski school).

There are a few options ... how comfortable are you on red runs (which may be icy in the morning depending on temps / any freeze-thaw cycle etc)?

1 option would be :

Up Plein Sud
Up the 3Vs gondola
Down Lac de la Chambre (you can avoid the steep red pitch at the start by taking the blue variant on your right)
Up Plan des Mains
Ski all the way down to Mottaret - you can avoid the Martre carnage / ice fest by taking the green variant on the left as you approach the village
Then the green Truite all the way down to Meribel

Up Legends
Head left towards Tougnette 2 (follow the snowpark on your left)
Up Tougnette 2
Then make your way to the bottom of the Mont de la Chambre chair
Down the Mon de la Chambre blue
Head left after the restaurant on your right to join the bottom of Pluviometre (otherwise you'll end up in Les Menuires)

To be honest - your morning would be better spent playing on the Boismint and Plan de L'Eau sectors (lovely runs) or heading down to St Martin for a coffee / cake ...

Sorry to revisit this post. As we are heading to VT next week, I was looking on Openskimaps.org to visually plan this route in my head. I'm lost at "Then make your way to the bottom of the mont de la Chambre Chair". I can see the lift on the map but not a slope(s) to get to it??

Is it the Gros Tougne blue into the Violette green, then up the Menuires lift with a quick ski to Mont de la Chambre??

Yep - or jump on Granges (first lift you come across on the Gros Tougne), then down Allamands (ace red) and then the blue (can't remember the name) by the top of Roc 1.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ah yes I see!! Thanks!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Roscoe, try the skiif app that got recommended a few pages back, I used it to plan a quick route home one day and it seemed to work well. https://skiif.com/en/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski wrote:
@Roscoe, try the skiif app that got recommended a few pages back, I used it to plan a quick route home one day and it seemed to work well. https://skiif.com/en/

Yes just downloaded and having a play around with it!! Should be very useful while in resort!! Great suggestion!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski wrote:

Was even recommended on French breakfast TV last Friday.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mounta1nGoat wrote:
The red down into La Tania has seen better days this season I'm sure. It's had a nice grassy patch so far this week but today they added a "Thin snow cover" sign which is slightly optimistic. If you're up above Courchevel though the snow is pretty good. Meribel definitely seems the worst. ESF instructor on a lift said the best morning snow is currently over in Orelle, VT generally seems pretty good.

Great snow both sides of the Meribel valley at the moment.Saulire all he way down to the top of Rhodos is good. Blaireau was so good this morning we did it twice, and Allemands above Les Menuires was also excelleent. Mont Vallon also good. It's even decent all the way down to Village.

Danger next week is if there is snow and that will sit on top of a crusty layer off piste.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It looks like some snow is forecast at the weekend, which website or app do people find the most reliable for snow forecasts?Thanks
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RosieL wrote:
It looks like some snow is forecast at the weekend, which website or app do people find the most reliable for snow forecasts?Thanks

I use Bergfex Ski (app) and its normally pretty spot on!
ski holidays
@RosieL, meteoblue is good (most are actually only good for up to 48 hours!)
snow conditions
Thanks on the weather app tips. Looks like some snow is forecast.
snow report
It was significantly colder today - coffee and lunch inside.
Snow generally good from La Masse to Courchevel 1550.
But why oh why is there only one way to the top of La Masse these days? To get back to the top you have to go all the way to the bottom again, utter madness.
snow report
Quote:

But why oh why is there only one way to the top of La Masse these days? To get back to the top you have to go all the way to the bottom again

Yep, it is a shame they got rid of Masse 2 and the Lac Noir chair - happy memories of doing circuits of Fred Covilli and Lac Noir depending which queue was shortest
snow report
Some very light snow falling in La Tania this evening
latest report
Much, if any, snow over night in VT or the wider 3V's??
snow report
For VT MeteoFrance are showing huge winds up to Sunday.

Followed by winter paradise conditions of cold day and night, bright skies and next to no wind.
snow report
Snow&skifan wrote:

Followed by winter paradise conditions of cold day and night, bright skies and next to no wind.

I need that to continue into the week after!!
snow report
Quote:

Yep, MeteoFrance has been showing that for a few days, yr.no doesn't agree and forecasts more snow. Lets hope the Norwegians are right

https://www.yr.no/nb/v%C3%A6rvarsel/daglig-tabell/2-6493864/Frankrike/Auvergne-Rh%C3%B4ne-Alpes/Savoie/Val%20Thorens%20Immo%20Apartments
ski holidays
Roscoe wrote:

Looked like it had rained to nearly the top of the Dent du Villard this morning (not on skis today) ie 2200-ish…
ski holidays
offpisteskiing wrote:
Roscoe wrote:

Looked like it had rained to nearly the top of the Dent du Villard this morning (not on skis today) ie 2200-ish…

Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
offpisteskiing wrote:
Roscoe wrote:

Light dusting in Meribel Village at 1400m overnight. No rain in Meribel or Courchevel.
Warmer today, but lovely soft snow down to Le Praz around 10 am, so good it had to be done twice!
The wind picked up during the day at altitide, quite a breeze by the end, but warm in resort. Doesn't feel like it will freeze tonight.
ski holidays
Quick one for the VT people - what are the reds like from the top of Cime Caron? Looking at Col de l'audzin for example - ok for an early intermediate mate who's coming with me this year? What is the main driver to being red - steep or narrow?

Cheers
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SHAP wrote:
Looking at Col de l'audzin for example - ok for an early intermediate mate who's coming with me this year? What is the main driver to being red - steep or narrow?

I wouldn't. Col de l'audzin is red because it has a narrow bumpy section about a third of the way down, and the last half is almost always slush bumps with ice in-between. It's relentless for an intermediate with no escape route. Cime is a better choice, most of that is a glorified path. Or just download on the cable car.
ski holidays
Je suis un Skieur wrote:
SHAP wrote:
Looking at Col de l'audzin for example - ok for an early intermediate mate who's coming with me this year? What is the main driver to being red - steep or narrow?

I wouldn't. Col de l'audzin is red because it has a narrow bumpy section about a third of the way down, and the last half is almost always slush bumps with ice in-between. It's relentless for an intermediate with no escape route. Cime is a better choice, most of that is a glorified path. Or just download on the cable car.

Noted - many thanks. Perhaps I'll do it and report back to him after we've had a couple of days in resort. Cheers
ski holidays
Snow overnight last night maybe 1-2 inches here in Les Menuires, La Masse was great first thing especially in the brief spells of good visibility.

Saulire and higher Courchevel / Mottaret pistes were great yesterday. L'Eclipse was a mixture of soft snow and hidden scraped off patches to catch out the unwary. Bottom section closed below Bouc Blanc. Quite heavy and getting worn down into La Tania but still all skiable.

Val T centre very busy this afternoon and zero viz above 2500m

Snowed intermittently through the day.

Anything above 2000m still soft, grippy and well pisted, lower down is getting heavy and thin in the higher traffic areas.

Still loads of snow, haven't encountered the usual half term queues, we may have just been lucky.
snow report
Can anyone recommend a family friendly bar/pub in Val Thorens to watch the football in?

Tried The Shamrock last year but was very small and not what I would call family friendly.
ski holidays
Roscoe wrote:
Can anyone recommend a family friendly bar/pub in Val Thorens to watch the football in?

Tried The Shamrock last year but was very small and not what I would call family friendly.

Last time we were there (2022) we watched in the sports centre. Reasonable bar, lots of space and TVs.
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:
Roscoe wrote:

Last time we were there (2022) we watched in the sports centre. Reasonable bar, lots of space and TVs.

Is that the place next to the/within Pizz'Burger?
snow report
O'Connells and the Frog & Roast Beef both show the footy. Both are good and I prefer them to the (smaller) Shamrock - but they can both be very busy. And I'm not sure they would meet your family friendly requirement...

The Piscine (mentioned above) at the leisure centre is less pub-like and has more of a family vibe, though it feels like dining and drinking in a food court at Meadowhall if you don't mind that. And the big plus there is that they have Leffe on draught Very Happy .
snow conditions
Bergmeister wrote:
O'Connells and the Frog & Roast Beef both show the footy. Both are good and I prefer them to the (smaller) Shamrock - but they can both be very busy. And I'm not sure they would meet your family friendly requirement...

The Piscine (mentioned above) at the leisure centre is less pub-like and has more of a family vibe, though it feels like dining and drinking in a food court at Meadowhall if you don't mind that. And the big plus there is that they have Leffe on draught Very Happy .

Yes that's the one I meant! Ate there for a quick bite to eat once or twice last year. But, as you say, its a bit food court esc. Maybe I'll scout out the two suggestions prior to the Arsenal game on Wednesday night but as that will be a 9pm KO, me and my brother might be able to get out on our own for that one! Will have to get the pass from the OH's Laughing
latest report
Could anyone here offer advice to two Americans contemplating a week in 3V in March for their first time skiing in Europe? One is flying from NYC, the other taking a train from London, and we plan to meet in Lyons and then rent a car or take a bus to the mountains.

The first questions are on the time frame. We have two options:
--Option 1 - travel to 3V from Lyons Saturday, March 17; ski Sunday March 18 through Thursday March 22, and return to Lyons on Friday morning March 23
--Option 2 - travel to 3V from Lyons Tuesday, March 26; ski Wednesday March 27 through Sunday March 31 (Easter Sunday), and return to Lyons Monday morning April 1.
We know that on balance the earlier week could deliver better skiing conditions, but the second option is preferable for non-skiing factors (work and family schedules). But we are wondering about two factors in the later time frame:
(A) How would the Easter holiday affect Option 2? I've read that the Easter holiday can bring crowds, but Easter Sunday would be our last day on snow, and I wonder if crowds tend to appear the week after Easter not before.
(B) I haven't started to sort through lodging, but I recall from earlier research that many condo rentals on AirBnB are set up on a weekly basis, running Saturday through Saturday. Is that accurate and if so, will hotels (or chalets or whatever you call them) be an option for an off-schedule stay Tuesday through Sunday nights?

The second set of questions is on the location within 3V. We're both fairly experienced and advanced telemark skiers who seek out black diamond and off piste options in the U.S. Based on advice in this thread - https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5245151#5245151 - I was leaning toward Meribel-Mottaret, because it seems quite Anglo friendly (and tele-friendly), and because it is the central valley so presumably it is easier to explore Courchevel and Val Thorens to either side. But Meribel is the lowest base elevation of the three valleys - so should we aim for Val Thorens instead because it is the highest elevation and this will be late in the season?

Thanks in advance for any input on this.
ski holidays
@ts01, 1st of your weeks is better. Much less crowded.

Mottaret is a great place to stay and is at 1850m I think so nice and high. Val Thorens is a bit of a dump and it's easy to access its ski area from Mottaret anyway
latest report
@ts01, a chart of European school hols can be found on this link. https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=167136
The bottom line is that the week before Easter is not school hols this year and, of course, easter is very early in 2024. Easter tends not to be crazily busy anyway, but your dates avoid most of it. Saturdays are generally quieter as they are "changeover days".
The earlier of your 2 weeks will be quieter however.

Note Meribel-Mottaret is further up the valley and higher than Meribel itself (1700m as opposed to 1400m). It is indeed dead easy to get everywhere. I'd say it would take you somewhere around 40 mins to get over to Val T-possibly a bit less. The thing with easter skiing is sometimes you get the best snow of the season down to all levels. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Mottaret-it's a bit lacking in charm and the skiing down into the resort at the lower end pistes is often hard work, but it does rate highly on the convenience factor andssomeone else pointed out, the quickest route up to the fantastic slopes above Courchevel is actually to start in Mottaret in the morning.

Inevitably as it is such a high resort-VT is popular with later season skiers so it will be more booked than other resorts.For good skiers (which you obviously are) it is really easy to get about all of the 3V, so I don't think you should worry too much. It really does sound like you should try and book a guide and have at least one off piste day.

In terms of accommodation-you may find hotels are more likely to accommodate shorter stays, and those advertised on Airbnb likewise. I can see that staying over to Easter Sunday itself might put a spanner in the works, especially for self catered accommodation, but I'm not speaking from experience.
latest report
@Roscoe, Yes, sorry only just seen your post.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy