Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and Tignes-Val D'Isere (formerly Espace Killy) 2023/24. Useful links on Page 1

Poster: A snowHead
Amazing skiing today after a good 8 inches or so last night and I think more forecast later in the week.

Can anyone remind me how to find out which pistes have been pisted each morning. I stumbled upon that info last time we were here and it was so helpful for nervous friends.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@swoafs, look for the little green bashers:

https://bulletin.lumiplan.pro/bulletin.php?station=tignes&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chocksaway, brilliant, thanks.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chocksaway, brilliant, thanks.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Near perfect conditions to start 2024. Piste in superb condition and 10-20cm of light fluff off piste. The epic transfer of yesterday evening is forgotten!

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@swoafs,

They bash all of the pistes each evening but then you can still get lots of new snow overnight on top of the bashed pistes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
@Mark1863, Bob at Eskiador https://location-ski.sport2000.fr/magasins/119-sport-2000-eskiador-val-d-isere?
He sells and fits them. He skis in one himself "I wear mine on the outside, as I am proud to use a Ski Mojo"
He sorted me out with a new "leg" in 2 mins. He also services them.
At the Portillo, next to le Hibou bar.

Best skis and prices in Val, possibly as he doesn't have a massive shop in the centre.

Interesting, I may have seen him coming out of the Jam bar in Le lac a while back, couldn't quite get to him before he vanished round the corner, as I was interested to see how the mojo looked in their latest iteration. They kept my wife skiing when her knees started to give up, for which I am eternally grateful!! (she has nice new knees installed now and skiing great)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@welshflyer, yes, agreed, that’s an unavoidable hazard for a nervous novice Laughing
But at least if it hasn’t snowed we can take them on a rut and bump-free blue for their first run of the day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If in Val Claret the run off Bollin is always a good start as it will almost always be pisted. I always do 2 or 3 runs here at the start of the holiday just to get the legs working again before I graduate further/steeper up the mountain. Alternatively, if in Lac, then the beginners run off Rosset, which is a gentle introduction, although the lift is very slow.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
welshflyer wrote:
@swoafs,

They bash all of the pistes each evening but then you can still get lots of new snow overnight on top of the bashed pistes.

Not technically true. 'All' the greens, 'most' of the blues, 'many' reds and 'some' blacks - are pisted is my rule but some blacks in particular have NO piste bashing facilities at all e.g. Foret at the Fornet as a starter. Its for this reason I often remind people that the Face is NOT a hard run - in the morning it can be easier than some red runs (ok length, leg burn and no 'get out' option squew that) and in the afternoon can be MUCH harder! I personally think Marmottons all the way to the bottom later in the season is probably the overall hardest piste or the Epaulet du Charvet in Val! Also avalanche risk etc etc etc can have a bearing on what gets pisted too!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Steve Angus, I was surprised that Face is currently the only open run down into Val from the Tignes side; I guess the resort expects anyone not able to cope with to download. Is Santons likely to open soon?

Meanwhile it has snowed lightly most of today and there must be at least another 6 inches in most places to top up the base.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@swoafs,

Santons was probably closed because it was unsafe due to the danger of snow avalanching onto the piste which is a narrow gully.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’m always suprised that during the summer they don’t fill in santons and make it a wider /safer run back
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rob_Quads wrote:
I’m always suprised that during the summer they don’t fill in santons and make it a wider /safer run back

Do you visit Val d’Isere in the summer and run/hike/cycle over what is a ski run in winter?
Walking up the basic green runs of Grand Pre and Verte makes you think what is beneath you in winter.

Streams, farmland, pastures, golf courses, archery, horse riding in summer all on the edge of a national park.
So not so easy to just to send in the earth movers to make an easy home run.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
muppet wrote:

Do you visit Val d’Isere in the summer and run/hike/cycle over what is a ski run in winter?
Walking up the basic green runs of Grand Pre and Verte makes you think what is beneath you in winter.

Streams, farmland, pastures, golf courses, archery, horse riding in summer all on the edge of a national park.
So not so easy to just to send in the earth movers to make an easy home run.

I agree with your comments for many runs but not Santons which is literally just a small valley of rocks. It’s not farmland or pastures or anything like that.
snow report
@Rob_Quads, if it's a rocky valley than it would be even more damaging to "fill in" than farmland or pasture...
snow report
denfinella wrote:
@Rob_Quads, if it's a rocky valley than it would be even more damaging to "fill in" than farmland or pasture...

Can you expand on this? Guessing for draining reasons although not sure if thats the case because if you have a small valley 5m wide with rocks on rather than a valley floor 20m wide a bit higher up the drainage is still going to be the same just not all concentrated (the 20m wide floor can also be rocks if you want it to slow the water down)
ski holidays
As Santons is in the Inner sanctum of the Vanoise National Park you are not allowed to mountain bike down it and to build a new ski lift they have to take one out I can hardly see the authorities allowing the moving of millions of tons of rock.......

Right the Weather Office is looking like a bomb site as I play the "where did I leave that game" as I try and pre pack ahead of the Grand Depart at the weekend.

So the periodicity of reports will be getting closer. The nice morning is going to deteriorate this afternoon and precipitation will arrive at all levels just before dark it may be snow initially but then there may be thunderstorms with all the usual banging and flashing and rain to even high levels (above 3000m), so it will be a wait and see to find out what happens and how much damage is done to the snowpack. Light snow and wind will continue to around lunchtime when sunny periods should develop. I suspect it will be a slow start in the morning as the pisteurs assess whats happening and work their magic. It's then 48 hours of cloud and light snow and then sunny periods and showers of snow on Sunday. Perhaps up to 50cm over the 3 days at resort level which should put right any issues with what arrives tonight.
ski holidays
Thanks for the update arriving Saturday so looking promising!
Re filling in santons like many many places it makes me wonder why people cannot just accept them as they are rather than this febrile urge to improve on nature
latest report
Quote:

ahead of the Grand Depart at the weekend

@chocksaway, See you on the flipside. Will look out for an Audi loaded to the gunnels with Yorkshire teabags.
snow report
Absolutely superb.... low angle freshies with kids.

Piste-perdu was bit of a tactical error in afternoon. The rope pitch a bit large at present for the youngest (age 6). However he handled hike out like a trooper

ski holidays
Snowing but very strong winds currently. V unpleasant outside. After starting at 3 this morning definitely time for an early night and see what the morning brings.
latest report
swoafs wrote:
@Steve Angus, I was surprised that Face is currently the only open run down into Val from the Tignes side; I guess the resort expects anyone not able to cope with to download. Is Santons likely to open soon?

Meanwhile it has snowed lightly most of today and there must be at least another 6 inches in most places to top up the base.

It was open today.

As for the other chat re Santons... its a rather early rived bed in the Summer and widening it out would cost a LOT of money! Downloading is the best plan for sure.
snow conditions
Highly likely it will be a slow start in the morning apart from the early alarm call from the pisteurs.
The wind is howling, the street lamps are shaking, the satellite dish keeps losing signal and I can’t tell if the snow is being blown off nearby slopes and roofs or falling from the sky.
ski holidays
"Upgrades have been made to the Marais chairlift, making it an express lift, with an estimated journey time of 8 minutes and 20 seconds. The lift links the Aiguille Rouge (which is above Tignes 1800) to the Aiguille Percée."

the above is a quote from last years page. Is the marais chairlift running/gone/replaced/in construction/planned. it is not currently shown on the Piste maps. It was slow and not very efficient but without it the options from there are now more (not less) limited. Thanks.
snow conditions
I miss the old Marais chairlift. Not having that link makes looping that area a whole lot less fun
snow report
Considering it was snowing and quite hard at 0939 turned out to be a great day slightly slow start as youngest was in teenage mode getting up but given the weather early doors we let it slide. Hig the slopes at about 1015 and skied to 1630. Youngest was given a tough time skiing with her brother second season seasionanire and myself. We did tell her to take the Olympic rather than ski the face but she insisted and managed. Great snow if qbit chopped up. Managed to avoid any queues.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 5-01-24 8:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Hi, does anyone recharge lift passes online? I take it if I purchase the required days online I don't have to do anything else in resort beyond walk up to a lift and get on?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I recharged an old lift pass last month for our week in December. Worked a treat. No need to go to the office. Straight up the lift! Website can be a bit fiddly.
ski holidays
As dan100 said, yesterday was an epic day; everywhere is in fantastic condition.

We had a superb meal at Kodo last night; thoroughly recommended. It’s in Lavachet, about a 10 minute walk from the Maison de Tignes - rather nice to walk off a bit of our excesses after!
snow conditions
What a week... Yesterday was near perfection. Photo of the "golf" natur-ride down to bus stop between Le Lac and Val Claret.

Snowing again this morning.

latest report
@Minion1980,

Yes I recharge my Val pass each year.

The electronic pass readers are on the lefthand side as you walk through the gates. Carry with you the receipt showing what you have paid for just in case there is a problem with the system. Also take a note of the "pass number" - if you lose it you can get the lost pass "blocked" and get a replacement one.
latest report
Nice one thanks all, I'll do it online then.
ski holidays
One tip for those going out. There are a number of new card readers on many lifts. The bit that lights up green is NOT the bit that reads the card. It is the strange lookin bit that is before the lighty up bit and offset to the left.
snow report
Looking out of theapartment window watching it snow as have come down with a bug and upset stomach and can’t keep anything down. Kids are messaging me telling me it’s lovely out towards brev.
latest report
First post here on snowheads after the site popping up constantly whilst researching a few bits and you all seem like a friendly bunch as far as an internet forum goes!

I had a week in Val D in 2020 with a large group and returning to Tignes later this month with another group, this time the group was organised by myself. I'm looking for a restaurant recommendation that does what I call 'Hot Rock' but believe is locally known as 'pierrade' - We're staying specifically in the Lake Lodge at Le Lac so as close to there as possible is a bonus but don't mind grabbing the bus or a walk if needed.
latest report
@Bowerz, Welcome to Snowheads. I don’t arrive till Monday but last year you could get pierrade at The Arbina or The Escale Blanche both just off the snow front to the right of Maison de Tignes. 5 mins walk or one stop on the bus if you prefer. Do check beforehand as restaurants seem to be changing their offerings regularly.

If neither have it you can go to L’Eterlou on Rue de la Poste, again 5 minutes walk. They do Brasserade, ie a mini bar b que on your table. Bit more smoky but same grub!!
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
..you can go to L’Eterlou on Rue de la Poste, again 5 minutes walk. They do Brasserade, ie a mini bar b que on your table. Bit more smoky but same grub!!

^ this

We went to L'Eterlou in December and they were most definitely serving table grills, as witnessed by the aforementioned smoke and delicious smells! A good range of typical local fare and very generous pizza on the menu as well.

..Nick
latest report
Thanks for the recommendations @chocksaway @big_ben, I'm a fan of a bit of danger at the table so the smoke and fire are right up my street! Exaclty what I was looking for Very Happy
snow report
bowerz.... this is also worth a visit ...Niurou steakhouse

Just up the road from Marmot Arms

also had good meal in L'escale Blanche
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy